Pets

I have a year old male golden retriever named Clyde...who, by the way, is at the end of his medication cycle for his skin condition which I had posted about a couple of months ago...everything has cleared up nicely! :)

If you click on my pic link below, there is an entire album dedicated to my silly boy!:+

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

1 (11) year old yellow lab - CODY
1-(11) year old gray tiger DSH - ZACK
1-(2) year old Jack Russell Terrorist - MAGGIE aka "The Favorite"
1-(3) year old orange tabby - OLIVER
1-(8) year old German Shepard - BLEK
1-(2) year old German Shepard - BETTA

BLEK is an "employee" at my husband's business. We just fostered BETTA out to my in-laws cuz my MIL always gets what she wants!

~ Kim

"Welcome the challenge...Embrace it...Don't fear it." -Cathe Friedrich

Oh I forgot about our hamster Willy and our Hermit Crabs Godzilla and T-Rex.
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif[/img]

We have 1 cat - Sugar, 1 rabbit - Marble, and 2 gerbils as permanent residents. I, at present, do not own a dog of my own but because I pet sit I always have 1-4 dogs underfoot. We've put 2 of our pets to rest in the last couple years both due to complications of old age - a beautiful Keeshond named Shadow and a Himalayan named Spice. I miss them dreadfully although I'm sure we're still cleaning up Spice's hair from under, on and in everything! My daughter is saving her money for a black & tan pom - although she may change her mind and get a Sheltie - so we won't be dogless for long! Yeah!

Trish

I have an 11year old Akita. I also have a 7 month old Saint Barnard .My kitty recently passed away .Also a 142 gallon fish tank .

At the moment we are owned by one Great Dane named Diana & two cats named Wills & Elizabeth. They're all, without exception, weird. Therefore they fit right in my household!:p

Ruth

2 cats with 3 eyes between them! scuzzy is our siamese mix who is actually the spawn of the devil :)

and lita is a mutt cat whom we recently adopted from a friend. we had to have her left eye removed due to severe glaucoma, the eye was as big as it could get! she's much happier now :)

maddie

Lucy -- miniature poodle
Sammy -- rescued cat
Cinnamon -- guinea pig
Oreo -- guinea pig
Rosie -- rescued bunny

Lucy is my baby. She is with me all day long, she even comes to work with me. She is the best dog in the world! Mari

Right now, just one rescued cat, Lizzy (she was a birthday present to my daughter two years ago). I'm pretty sure she thinks she's a dog though. She chases her tail and would much rather go to the bathroom outside than in her litterbox, and she's addicted to her feathery toy. She sits at the bottom of the stairs and meows at us until we go up and play with her.

I'd like to rescue a dog, but unfortunately, Lizzy's bio from the shelter said "no dogs" on it. Does anyone have any experience with introducing a dog into a house with a cat that doesn't like them?

>I'd like to rescue a dog, but unfortunately, Lizzy's bio from
>the shelter said "no dogs" on it. Does anyone have any
>experience with introducing a dog into a house with a cat that
>doesn't like them?

I have no experience with this particular situation, but I volunteer at a shelter where cats are kept together in big rooms, and there are definitely cats that love the companionship of other cats (the minority)--they will snuggle with any other cat that allows it, play, and wash other kitties. Then there are cats (the majority) who will tolerate other cats, or even "kind of" like them after they've been around for a while. These may even have a special cat pal they bond with. Then there are the "cat hatin'" cats. They may love people, but they cannot stand to be within a foot or, for some of them, even three feet, of another cat without growling, hissing, attacking (and I'm talking here about cats who are together for maybe a month or more before I judge their "cat tolerance"). If your cat is to dogs as these "cat hatin'" cats are, she will NEVER tolerate a dog within her personal space (which can vary from 1 foot to who knows how much: cats CAN have a very generous idea of their space!).

If the shelter said "no dogs,' they probably had a good reason, though it may be hard to judge how cats will get along with other animals until they've been with them for at least 2 weeks.

Now on to TMI (quit reading now if you are already bored!):
My one cat, Simon, is a cat lover. From day 1, he's never hissed, growled, batted at (except in play), or given the "evil eye" to any of the cats I had when I adopted him, or any of the new cats I brought in after he was here.

Scooter is middle of the road: he hisses at newcomers and gives them the "evil eye" when I pay attention to them during the first two weeks, but tolerates all his kitty companions after this break-in period, and has a close play relationship with Simon (he has limited tolerance for Bobsie's daily washing of his head, but he goes along with it up to a point).

Bobsie is 80% cat-lover: I once thought she was a full-fledged cat lover, because she's even greeted stranger cats in a friendly manner when we are outside together, and she was very friendly with the other cats at the shelter, BUT she and Mandy don't get along (mostly Mandy's vibes!). She has made some friendly overtures towards Mandy, but ...

Mandy is about 60% cat hater. She has no interest in the other cats, will jump off the sofa if another cat comes up, and sometimes will attack one of the others (but not to the point of causing damage: just a few boxing whacks with her--sadly, declawed ;( --front paws). Mostly, she just intimidates them with "the look" when they are too close. (Poor Simon is at least twice her size, in overall size and in girth, but he is the emotional baby. When she gives him "the look," he'll just back off, slink away, and try to avoid trouble!)She tends to be an "avoider" rather than an "attacker."

We have a german shorthair (Lexxie), a dachshund puppy (Tillie), 3 cats and a horse. The dogs are spoiled rotten.

Jeanette

I love seeing that everyone so passionate about their animals!! It makes me smile since I have been the biggest animal lover since birth (I actually cried in the theater when King Kong was killed).

I have 2 rescue dogs that let me live in their house. My little girl is 5 and she is a Chihuaha/Dachsund and her name is Topaz. We also have a little boy Chihuaha/wedon'tknowwhat who will be 4 next month and his name is Dr.Quinn. They have other nicknames such as Topi Lopez, T-Lo, Topi Palopi, Sugar Plum, and Topi Ann. Dr. Quinn is Dr. Alan Quinn, Senator Quinn, Booger booty, Docki Polocky, and most of the time Doc.

Yes, I guess you all can tell we love our babies!:)

Rhonda

Rhonda,
LOL about pet nicknames.
My cats all have their special nicknames:
Scooter is "Scoo," "Scooby," "Ski," Scoobus."
Bobsie is usually "B," or "Miss B" and sometimes "Bobbity Bee," "Hey bobs a ree bobs," or "chubbikins."
Simon and Mandy don't have as many nicknames:
Simon is 'Simoneo," and "fattycakes."
Mandy is "Miss Mandy," "Mandy be dandy," and "Mandy B." (not too inventive there, I'm afraid).

Kathryn,
Don't you just love giving them nicknames? I really do believe they are terms of endearment because we love them so much:D

Rhonda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.