Pentagenarians & Beyond: WB 6/10

I am back to normal today. yesterday did garden work although it was a lot of crawling around and lugging heavy buckets of weeds and plant trimmings. . everything grows intensely this time of year and we have to prune back the jungle or we'd be buried.
I hate it when I sleep in a funny position and get that head/neck discomfort. I used a heating pad and it is normal this morning. we are going to ride somewhere, not sure yet. waiting for morning clouds to at least somewhat burn off.

I haven't looked lately but CR seems to require subscribing to the paper magazine to get full access to digital version, which still costs extra. I would switch to online only in a heartbeat but I never found that option. I tried before to access online which is supposed to be available but never got it to work. they allow general access to their info online after a time period that is not always clear.

people eat out all the time. fast food never was so available. everywhere you turn, high calorie processed food and drink in front of you. when I a kid getting a plain hamburger at mcdonalds was a big deal. I realized early on I couldn't eat things like other kids and not gain weight. my friends would get fries, shakes, burgers, cokes. they were skinny. I just smelled burgers and put on 5 lbs. my sister started bulking up when she was little and never did get control of it. all those friends are not skinny anymore. I'm not skinny but I have kept a lid on weight gain. the kind of food we ate at home was not very healthy. lots of heavy greasy German cooking. I don't eat anything we used to eat at home. choices have changed of course. we had all gray / brown food and nothing fresh. vegies were cooked to mush. lots of home baked desserts though! my mother could not cook well but she could bake. always desserts. such a bad habit to get set in place.

This morning I did ICE Low Impact Sweat, workouts one and two. That was 46 minutes and 315 calories burned. Average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 156.

Deb, it’s a good idea to listen to your body to avoid an injury.

Diane Sue, it’s sounds like the Instapot is already a success. I can brown on the stove top in my slow cooker insert which I like. It adds more flavor and better color to meat dishes.

Lori, great workouts the last few days. I did that 6 minute arm workout earlier this week. Rockout Knockout is not a part of a series. I sometimes confuse it with Rock ‘em Sock ‘em from the ICE series, but it’s a stand alone workout from 2013. I think it came out with Great Glutes and Lean Legs and Abs. The wellness center sounds like it’s really nice. It would be great to take a class there.

Valerie, glad your neck is better. We are doing some of that type gardening too. The trees and shrubs along our neighbors fence have gotten out of control and need to be trimmed back.

Hello to Judy.

Today I did Amy Bento Ross All Cardio Hi/Lo Knockout first two combos with ko then the first two combos with kos combined and the core work, 62 minutes, 410 calories, met 6.0, 3558 steps. A few minutes of this was the warm up from Tracey Anderson's Teen Meta that I just got back from my granddaughter. When she grabbed her loop band, I had had enough. I really do not enjoy an instructor who does not really instruct. There is just music in the background and you follow her moves. I often wonder why I bought this since I have a couple of her other workouts. They can be tough with tons of body weight reps on most. If I remember right though, this Teen one does have a workout where she talks and does some dance exercise with a group of girls. I feel the same about the Tramp rebounder workout I got of hers. You just follow her doing her thing on the rebounder and there is a front and back, so you get to watch her through the same workout facing you or with her back to you. I think it is pretty silly myself. I also spent about 30 minutes doing some youtube Melt facia work that I found yesterday, and some of the knee stuff from Yoga Tune Up Knee Hab and neck shoulder therapy ball stuff from yoga tune up neck and shoulders. I didn't use the dvds though.

I had to run out to do a couple of errands. I picked up a butternut squash that I want to try cooking in the Instant Pot. I found a recipe on Pinterest for firm Instant Pot butternut squash. It says you can even divide it up into individual servings and freeze. I think that I should not have done the Melt Youtube neck work with the foam roller. They had you lay your head above the neck on the scalp on the roller and do some movement. I ended up with a dreadful neck and head pain this afternoon. It almost felt like a charley horse in my neck. I took Excedrin and had to lie down when my husband came in. Fortunately that has worked. I won't try that again. In fairness their foam roller is flexible and obviously softer.
I had plans for using the Instant Pot tonight (I found I was spelling that wrong as I was seeing it as Instapot) oops! Anyway not feeling that much cooking so made a salad and used some of the left over rump roast for dinner.
I had to laugh at Gertie this morning because I gave her a Milk Bone grain free dog treat that I thought I would try. She sniffed it and dropped it on the floor then checked my hands to see if I had something else before she gave in and ate it. Once I was done with her nails and teeth I gave her a Milkbone dental brushing chews which are VOHC approved for cleaning tarter etc.. She loves those so it was sort of a mercy thing :)

Valerie, I have not been able to look at Consumer Reports other than some googled posts. I should check and see if I can get them from the digital library checkouts. I am glad that I grew up with parents that grew up with farmer families and were pretty good about wanting to go to fruit and vegetable stands to get the freshest stuff. Not a lot of goop in the food while growing up. Fast food was a once in awhile treat, chips were not normal in my house, and we mostly drank tea, water, and milk. Now my husbands family was the opposite and with 6 children and working for a bakery for quite awhile, they had loads of twinkies and cakes in their house. Frozen tamales and lots of junk. That is probably the reason he is not a veggie lover and what he does like is canned peas and green beans sometimes and the rest is beans and corn. He tries to diet and it is hard to give him a good low fat meal plan. I turn to a lot of fruit and melon.

Carolyn, Party Rockin Step also came out with the Rockout Knockout workout. I like that group of workouts a lot. For some reason my Fit Bit has seemed off. I noticed that my steps have seemed a bit off, calories as well from the norm, unless it is because I am slower trying to be careful of aggravating anything. Also, twice now Fit Bit had two workouts posted when I was done and the times overlapped. The first time I deleted the wrong one that was not full time. Today I was going to do it later and when I came back after posting on MFP the shorter one disappeared. It wouldn't even give me my steps for the workout at first. Hopefully this straightens out.

Hi Everyone,

Today I did an upper body circuit and used the elliptical at Planet Fitness. I tried out the hydromassage bed afterwards. I liked it, but not as much as I thought I would. For one thing, they only let you use it for 6 minutes at a time, and that didn't seem like long enough for it to really do anything. The other thing is the noise. It is very loud and it was impossible to relax because of that. I will use it again, but I like the massage chairs better.

Deb-I'm so sorry about your friend's family. That is very sad.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry about your neck. That sounds painful :( I'm glad the Excedrin helped.

Valerie- I'm glad your neck is better. I remember when getting a plain hamburger was a big deal and the drinks/fries weren't super sized.

Hi to Carolyn & Lori!

Judy

Judy, hydro massage sounds like it would feel good, but I cannot imagine a 6 minute massage of any kind doing much. I suppose you could get used to the noise? My neck pain has come back since the Excedrin wore off. I guess Advil and bed hopefully it will be better tomorrow. I have been trying to rub it out and ice and it is not working.

Good morning,

A long day babysitting yesterday. You forget how active a 3 year old boy can be, especially when he can be outside. :).

Diane Sue, I can't imagine making eggs in a appliance but it sounds like once you get the hang of the timing, they will come out the same every time. I didn't know that Milk Bone made a grain free treat, I will have to look for them. I guess Gertie gave you a message about what she thought of them. The vet gave me some dental wipes for Keegan's teeth. He wants me to use them daily, especially the top back where he said he has a lot of tartar build up. He also said he needs to have them cleaned. I don't like the idea, but I agree that it needs to be done.

Valerie, good that your neck etc is back to normal. I remember when going out to eat with the family was such a big thing.. I guess some of that is because most of the mom's didn;t work, so they cooked. Today is so different.

Judy, too bad the massage bed was only 6 minutes and noisy...it did sound like a nice thing to do.

Hi to Lori & Carolyn,

Take care,

We did a 26 mile road ride yesterday and it felt good. our regular ride but temps were pleasant, and busy with other riders but no path blockages with groups of people not paying attention. they are doing some summer maintenance so parts will be shut down soon. we get a lot of tree roots heaving up the asphalt. these get dangerous for bikes because they are hard to see in light under trees.

diane sue, I thought it was an Instapot too. sounds like you are getting a lot of use from it already. Sorry about the neck problem. I can relate! when I tweak it ...usually takes 2 days to settle down. I keep the latest 2 yrs of CR magazines. data gets outdated. they make some info online available to everyone. unless this changed recently... you need a separate online subscription in addition to the print magazine for the most current material. after a time most of their material is available free. AT least I THINK how it works.

Yes for us "eating out" in the '50's was a huge big deal. usually burgers at the latest thing, a drive-in. my parents made us divide and share everything so I never got used to having a burger, fries and a shake. It was a good idea but they did it to save money not because of health issues. we got a half a burger, a sip or two of a shake, and a couple fries from theirs. my mother unfortunately liked pineapple milk shakes. Gak! she loved pineapple. I wanted chocolate. My brother eats almost exclusively fast food and always has. I never depended on it like that. It is somewhat stunning to see the differences in health and appearance. I am the oldest and look the youngest. (I am not trying to brag) I didn't think about it until I saw some photos of the three of us, and others mentioned it. both sister and brother have type 2 diabetes, developing major problems from it. some of it is luck but most is lifelong habits.
My parents bought a lot of fresh food..... prep was the downfall. everything overcooked, floating in cream sauce, butter/ sugar. maybe just a sign of the time, and what was thought to be 'good" .

Deb, I used to brush my dogs teeth with a small tooth brush. it took a little getting used to. the length of the brush helped get to those back teeth. I still had to gets his teeth cleaned professionally a few times. it was never costly as it is now.

No workout for me today. I decided to take a rest day. We went to Home Depot and ran a few other errands and I felt exhausted afterwards. It is 88 degrees and humid, conditions that sap my energy. I try to drink a lot of water and keep well hydrated. My husband wants to replace our 20 year old gas grill, which is a very nice one. Home Depot didn’t have what we wanted to see in the store, it’s only available online. We will continue to research and look other places.

My family never ate out when I was growing up. We couldn’t afford it, and there were very few places to go anyway. It was definitely healthier. Unfortunately with the growth of fast food restaurants and “convenience foods” much of the healthiness slipped out of our diets.

Deb, three year olds are definitely active. They can wear you out very quickly!

Diane Sue, sorry about your neck pain. When you looked st the Melt video for neck pain there seemed to be a lot of precautions. The softness of the roller probably makes a difference. Yes, Party Rocking Step 1 and 2, Flextrain, X 10, and Pedal Power were all from 2013. They weren’t officially a series, but they could have been.

Judy, that’s disappointing about the hydro massage bed. Getting in some time at the gym is a good way to mix up your workouts.

Hello to Lori and Valerie.

I had terrible neck pain last night and all day today. I did Yoga Tune up upper neck and shoulders and followed with Cathe's Yoga Max. Yoga Max was 49 minutes and 119 calories. That is it for me today. I saw that Kelly Coffey is filming a couple of new workouts. One is another step boxing and the other is strength RX. At least that is what I think I remember the names being.

Deb, I get loads of steps when I have my just turned 4 year old grandson here. Lots of floors as well. He is busy. I would like to have some of that energy. I found dog toothpaste online that is chicken flavored. I do not know why they would make one peppermint. The one I got almost smells like it had some alcohol in it. I can understand why Gertie didn't like it. I am just using the brush right now and giving her the dental chews. I like keeping a few store bought grain free treats around just in case I don't have time or am tired and don't want to make treats.

Valerie, I hadn't thought about having all of those trees and the roots coming up under the road. It would be a problem. I remember when oleo came out and my mother would still use butter. Sometimes she would make her own butter. It is too bad your brother stayed with all of the fast food and junk.

Carolyn, I was careful to follow the instructions, but I think my foam roller is a bit bigger in diameter and pretty firm. I saw a video where they could flex their foam roller. Anyway, I am kind of afraid of them moves now. The hip stuff was okay though. I once did something similar to my neck when doing the Beach Body Tai Cheng workout where he had you roll back over the foam roller with your neck. I never new whether I did it wrong or what as I rewatched since, but did not do it again. My parents did not go out much at all either. Trips we took food in the car and stopped for picnics on the side of the road.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.