Pentagenarians & Beyond: W|B 9/30

No workout today. I stayed the night at my daughter's so I could have a longer visit with my aunt before she hooked her car back up to the RV and headed out later this morning.

Valerie, I saw the changing of the guard and the crown jewels as part of a school field trip. My parents to me to Madame Tuessaudes (sp) Wax museum. I saw the London Zoo and the the London Bridge when it was in London. My parents took us to several castles and museums. I remember lots of dessert items and sweets. Yes, the streets are crowded. They were crowded in Ipswich as well. You saw a lot of people with the leash things on their children. I remember trying to hang on to mine because I knew it would be easy to lose them. Nice work fixing your zipper. I don't mind making things, but not a fan of repairing things.

Carolyn, nice work with the Ellen Barrett challenge work and adding to it.

Lori, someone asked Kelly about putting up more of the premixes from her other dvds and she said that as technology changes it is hard to do with some of the older ones. So, I am not sure if she will keep trying. I was hoping for the couple of workouts that I don't have :)

Deb, my husband would never try a bean burger. He likes his hamburgers :) I liked the black bean burgers and made my own chick pea burgers and really liked those. Beans do not agree with me though. I tried soaking and cooking mine with kombu, but it did not help.

Hi to Judy :)

Good morning,

Only PT exercises, like usual. I did a lot of moving packing, and carrying tote boxes upstairs, rolling up rugs etc, my leg was hurting so I decided to skip agility class last night. I did not want to add to it.

Carolyn, nice workouts.

Valerie, Canada is not known for it's fine cuisine LOL...:). I am sure there are some good restaurants there, especially in Toronto with the mixed cultures etc. but the ones I have gone to are on Southern Ontario are pretty bland and boring.

Diane Sue, your experience in England sounds great. Not all children get to see and do those things.
Yes, John is a "carnivore" and would turn up his nose at anything that pretends to be meat. LOL.

They are picking up our rugs in a bit, then later this afternoon we are going to see the puppies again, this time with Kylee.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

I remember a few of those from London. the wax museum. I remember an expensive dinner, prime rib, with full service fancy plates, glasses, silver. remember the double decker red buses. I liked Stonehenge. back then a lot of accomodations used shared bathrooms down the hall. we paid for bathrooms in each room. I never understood how it worked with a large group of people all supposed to leave at the same time. I remember a bakery in Scotland that was amazing!. my nurse friend and I got up early and went to buy some pastries, and sat on the curb outside eating them for breakfast. so much better than cold toast! they could not do decent coffee there.

anyway, I gradually transitioned to vegetarian. DH and I were a couple so we agreed on it, although it would have been a deal breaker for me. I would not have married a carnivore. I'd have to resign to making two meals forever, and was unwilling to do that. or he was going to be cooking his own food, and that's a rough start to a marriage. no one in his family can cook. OMG awful horrible stuff, like canned spaghettio's, so he was not committed and had been cooking for himself for aa year so was open to new ideas. . I get serious health problems with a meat based diet, so not an option.
Deb when ever we go to Canada, it's in the camper so I pack our food being especially careful about fruit with seeds or pits. apples, peaches, plums are on the "no" list. that will be so much fun, picking a new puppy. we are hoping to go kitty shopping in a short time. one more trip to MT and then we should be home for a while and can maybe get a new pet. its been a year since we lost Puss.
I don't ever use the 'fake meat" products like those hideous soy crumbles .. they are awful. I always included eggs and dairy, whole grains.

Diane sue, when you cook beans soak them overnight , dump the soaking water, and then cook them. still, not everyone does well with beans. I sometimes cook my own, but more often use rinsed canned beans because they take so long to cook. I'm thinking chickpeas don't raise the same issues as other beans.

Also, got my flu shot Monday. done with shots for the season. insurance covers, so free.

Last edited:
This morning I did Coffey Fit Raw Intervals #4, 41 minutes, heart rate 132 average, 160 max, 2,897 steps, 9:07, met 5.9, 267 calories. I used 15# dumbbells for this workout. I swear I had the weight moves all written out, but I could not find them. I will have to check my document file. If I find them I will come back and post it. I then did Kelly Coffey Sculpting RX workout #1, 40 minutes ( I thought it was supposed to be 35 minutes and do not think I paused that much), heart rate average 115, max 146, 825 steps, met 4,6, 203 calories. Total workout time was 81 minutes and I burned 470 calories. I think Monday I will do the Raw Fitness test again. I have had allergies and been so busy, I just have not been sure if my energy levels was up enough to do better on it.
Sculpting RX workout #1 weights 10 reps for all exercises done in super sets
Hammer curls 15# dbs super set with squat out and hold (second round squat out pulse)
repeat
front curls 15# dbs super set with front lunge on step, back knee pull 15#/ and 20# dbs
alternating supination curls 15# dbs (second round both non alternating) super set with squat, fold & Up 20# dbs
repeat
Row on step 30# db supe rset with front raise 15# db
repeat
bent over row/overhand 25# dbs supe rset with lateral raise 10# dbs
repeat
row from feet (seated on step) 15# dbs super set with seated press 1 & 1/2 10# dbs
repeat
flies (pinky) 15# dbs super set with skull crusher 15# dbs
repeat
bench press 15# dbs super set with seated kickbacks alternating 10# dbs and 12# dbs second round
repeat
push ups super set with dips

Deb, all of that packing and stuff is plenty of exercise. Yes, as a child I know it was quite an experience for me. We went to British friends weddings which were quite interesting. Their wedding cakes were fruit cake covered with marzipan and hard sugar frosting. We we went to some of their village celebrations with the bon fires etc. Like Guy Fox (sp) day.

Valerie, we stayed in a couple of the hotels with the shared bathrooms. That was not something pleasant.

I have to run to pick up grandchildren.

This morning I did Ellen Barrett 15 Minute Quick Cardio for 86 calories burned. My average heart rate was 115 and maximum heart rate was 147. I then did JS 15 Minute Fat Blaster for 113 calories burned, average heart rate 127 and maximum heart rate 145. I met friends for lunch and a wonderful visit with them as usual.

Deb, did you ever look at the Cathe Live Senior Fit class? I remember thinking that it would be good when recovering from an injury. You might consider it when you feel better.

Hi to Diane Sue, Valerie, Lori, and Judy.

Good evening ladies,

Yesterday was arms. Did two of my favorite SB arm workouts. Then added in BBS dance cardio. Total time was 46 mins. This morning was 2 BBS lower targets using loop bands and also a 20 min BBS bounce. Total time was 50 mins. Yesterday, Chelsie and I started Beach Body’s Double Time. We did a workout yesterday and tonight. They are very short only 20 mins so far and I will have to say they are more intense than I anticipated. Not difficult but they got my heart rate up. It is a 30 day program but will take us a little longer due to her work and school schedule. We are planning 3 times a week. Should be fun.

Deb...I hate Jumping Jacks too. When I worked out with the ladies at lunch they used to laugh at me because I always modified. I now jump on the rebounder to do them and love them!! Lol! Did Kylee love the pups?

Carolyn...I like 7 day Challenges. Shaun T from Beachbody has a 7 day hiit challenge I want to try. SB is starting a new Challenge on Monday. Going to join in. I have always enjoyed them. Hers are 8 weeks though!

Valerie...great hike!! And snow already? Wow! That sounds crazy. How did I miss you are vegetarian? I have always wanted to try but I am such a meat and potato girl and know I would be setting myself up for failure. Of course if I had dietary issues that that is a completely different story. I bet your husband was relieved to have someone cook when you first got married even if it meant to go vegetarian!

Diane Sue...great workouts today. I am especially loving the detail on the weights for the Raw workouts. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to hearing how you do with the fitness test 2nd time. I should try it out again too.

Hi to Judy!!!

Have a great night all!

Carolyn, that is nice that you have lunches with friends like that. It is nice to change up the day. Nice workouts.

Lori, the rebounder for jacks is so much more fun :) I am anxious for the next workouts Kelly is filming for her raw channel. I saw she said something about working on the music and sound. Sort of getting things just right when she has to set up each time since she can't leave things set up all of the time. Sharing with her kids :) The Beach Body workouts sound interesting. 20 minutes length is a good start. I wanted to make sure I feel well and am not tired when I do that fitness test again.

Lori I am not totally vegetarian now. I was for 20-30 years, hard to draw sharp boundaries. I eat some fish and white meat chicken. I find meat so overwhelmingly strong, it overrides everything else. I eat vegies, all kinds of grain, fruit, beans, and use fish /chicken as basically a "condiment" rather than as the main part of my diet.

we rode today, road ride 1 hr 40 min. tired. did not feel like doing even that much. but I did.

the snow surprised us. this was not that high elevation a hike. it was OK going up but going downhill was a challenge. we bagged it when it got steep.. the new melting snow on top of mud was a slip and slide contest. it will go away

yuck on shared bathrooms. too many pigs out there.

Good morning,

Only PT exercises. We went to see the puppies, took Kylee with us to see which one she seemed to get along with. It was a difficult choice. We went with the Ginger one, I will post a pic in a separate post after this one.

Valerie, would love some of those Scottish pastries! We have stayed in B&B's that had shared bathrooms, but decided after that we would only stay in the ones that had private baths for each room. Ugh, your husband's food as a child sounds awful. I bet it was a difficult change for him to eat real food. Will you get a kitten when you are ready to get a new one?

Diane Sue, what is involved with the Raw fitness test? A friend of ours that was from England and ended up staying here celebrated Guy Fox ( sp) Day every year with a party for all his friends.

Carolyn, I have viewed one of the Senior Live classes, forgot about them, but maybe that would be a place to start. Also have KCM's Start Here, which is supposed to be for beginners, or someone coming off an injury. It's only the leg work that hurts. I should be doing upper body, somehow I have lost all enthusiasm. :(.

Lori, that is so great that you are doing those workouts with your son's GF. See puppy pic and info below.

Hi to Judy,

Take care,

This is a picture from the first time we saw the puppies. They are a little bigger now, and the "fluffy" hair has been removed with grooming. They come in 2 types, Tri-Color, which we have always had, and Ginger, which is only tan and white. Kylee was pretty stand offish when we were outside watching the 6 in the outside pen. Then they brought only the 3 males into the house and let her interact with each separately. She really did not care about the puppies that much, she wanted to play with their toys more! :). The 2 Tri-colored males were more rambunctious, and she reacted to one of them more than the others, but chasing him around, but got bored with it quickly, The Ginger really seems to like people more, and John really liked him. So we decided on him. gingerboy (360x640).jpg

Deb, the puppy is so cute!! You are going to love him so much. Kelly's Fitness test was not what I had originally expected. For some reason I was imagining cardio. Here is the run down with my weights and reps that I got. I was really having to push myself by the 4th round as she originally says 3 and I think I pushed harder as I was expecting 3. She told me it was supposed to be like that. I liked it.

Coffey Fit Raw test 34 minutes
I used 15# dumbbells for this since it is the first time. You are supposed to try it once a month to access your fitness gains and try to get more reps in or add more weight. Step or bench, tubing or dumbbells
30 seconds each exercise Kelly says 3 rounds but adds an extra round at the end for 4 rounds.
bench press 15# dumbbells 32,33, 25, 32, reps
push up 19,23,28,22 reps
dumbbell squats 15# dbs 19,22,23,21 reps
prisoner squats 30,32,32,32 reps
shoulder press alternating 15# dbs 24,18,18,24 reps
pike push up 18,18,19,16 reps
curls 15# dbs 14, 15,15,14 reps
pulse curl with one db or tubing 15# db 24,37,36,34 reps
sit ups 14,13,13,14 reps
hands under small of the back head up scissors 48, 50,52,54 reps

This morning I did KCM’s Start Here, Aerobic Cardio premix for 19 minutes and 131 calories burned. My average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate was 145. Then I did Ellen Barrett’s Yogini Sculpt which was 30 minutes and 72 calories burned. Average heart rate was 96 and maximum heart rate was 132. This was yoga poses with light resistance (1-3 pounds) with which I didn’t think I would like. Again I was reminded of Linda Wooldridge, Suzanne Bowen, and BBS. I am enjoying these EB workouts.

Deb, congratulations on the puppy. He looks adorable. Start Here cardio might not be good for your hip right now depending on what movements cause you discomfort.

Lori, I think it’s great that you are doing the Beach Body workouts with Chelsie. I’m sure that is very helpful to her.

Diane Sue, the Coffeyfit Raw Fitness test looks very challenging. Great job! My friends are people that I worked closely with for over 20 years. Two of us are retired and two are still working. The retiree friend seems to be coming into her own these days and we are thrilled for her. Her partner passed away 4 years ago and I was worried about her being alone. She is a year older than I am, but suddenly much more adventurous! First she gave up her flip phone in favor of a smart phone which we have tried to get her to do for years. Now she is doing a 14 State Appalachian Trail Challenge and walking the trail with three friends from her home town. And...she just bought a Lexus convertible sports car!! She was always a Saturn and PT Cruiser person. She left us speechless :).

Hello to Valerie and Judy.

Gingerboy is darling!. is there anything cuter than a puppy or a kitten? hard to decide.

Deb I really think people don't start out intending to cook bad unappetizing food but women( mainly) get tired of working at it and not being appreciated. DH's father ate junk. I never saw him eat "real food". he nibbled on crackers, chips, cheese, sausage, beer, and never ate a meal. I imagine MIL got tired of going thru the motions and having him push food around his plate, then eat junk. plus, she always worked. a lot of chores got relegated to daughter, who ended up being a terrible cook too. so what goes around, comes around. when In laws came to visit I tried to make something they'd enjoy. would not eat salads, vegetables, main dishes. he had dental problems and was always scrawny, wasted looking and had dentures but then didn't wear them. I didn't do any off-the -wall weird things. stuck with things like lasagna. I understood how my MIL must have felt, she stuck with things the kids would eat ..... hence, spaghetti'os. MIL ate normal food. she put more sugar in her coffee than anyone I'd ever seen. each cup got something like 15 teaspoons. it was GROSS. I didn't think that much sugar could even dissolve.

I did not like the idea of shared bathrooms. you would hope everyone would be on their best behavior, but no.

Deb I hope you find something you can do. hard to work back up to fitness, easier to maintain a base level with a "work around" on the bursitis side. you could do the PT and then a premix for upper or core so you don't have to start from ground zero.
we will probably get an adult kitty again. we've had good luck getting adults. you can be pretty sure about personality.

This morning I did Kelly Coffey's Step Boxing 2 both workouts combined, 50 minutes, heart rate average 125, max 158, 4,634 steps, 325 calories, met 5.9. That is it for me, I am trying to finish up some household things and need to make a trip to Sprouts. So far I have something scheduled away from the house the entire week coming up. I let them know that I would not be doing the cpr training in the morning. I really just do not feel like getting up and rushing out the door and dragging a bag of cough drops and water with me. I would probably scare them all, thinking I was giving the some virus.

Carolyn, that is wonderful that you have been able to keep in touch with your friends for that many years. We keep up with a few on facebook. How awesome that your friend is getting adventurous and moving along after losing her husband. I wish a my friend and my aunt would get something besides a flip phone. My friend does not even know how to get rid of her over filled voicemail and has to have someone else do it. It makes it hard to reach her. I mentioned to my aunt that she could text me and let me know when she was near with her travelling and she said she still has her flip phone and no texting.

Valerie, I guess as a child I did not so much notice people being pigs with the shared rest rooms. I just remember learning fast to take advantage of being able to use the restroom when I saw it open. I do remember magazines where the adults would sit in there and read while I was out in the hall hoping to go pee.

Good morning,

Only PT exercises yesterday.

Diane Sue, that fitness test sounds really interesting. I would like to try it, but still do not think I am ready to go that far into lifting, as well as signing on to her streaming service, when I really can't use it fully. Is she still charging the reduced rate that she started with if you signed up in the summer?

Carolyn, great workouts, it seems like you have really "clicked" with the EB ones. I was hoping that KCM's "Start Here" would have some less intense cardio. Good going to your retiree friend that is doing things that are outside her comfort zone!

Valerie, I fully agree on the "cook" of the household getting tired of thinking of things to make. I remember my Mom complaining about that. We did eat the same things each week, but they were pretty good food, except for the canned vegetables...LOL...

Hi to Lori, & Judy

Take care,

Deb, my last deduction for Coffey Fit Raw was September 29 and it was still 6.99. She has a non weighted workout and one that is all done on the floor to help those with injuries and things like knee issues etc. . She is really getting quite a variety of workouts out. I am looking forward to the one she is working on that uses the weighted vest. I understand waiting to you are injury free. I wouldn't pay for something I couldn't get much use out of.

We had to have roommates at meetings when I worked in sales. A cost cutting measure, plus it reduced the chances of too much "meeting mating", as we used to call it. some of the women were just awful at hogging the bathroom! some would lock themselves in, for a good part of the time to get ready for 8 am meetings. any public restroom experience proves there are a lot of slobs out there, and I don't know who is worse, men or women.
My father wanted plain boring unseasoned food. "just meat and potatoes". My mother used to occasionally try other things, but not appreciated. my grandmother lived with us so awful heavy greasy german stuff. My father was a total jackass about most things. no fond memories there. I saw how it felt to make dinner, and have him glare at her because he didn't like it.
I tried to talk about it with DH so it was not totally "my problem". It will be an uphill battle if you don't agree on what's Ok for meals.
Carolyn that is terrific about your friend coming into her own space. a late bloomer! the Appalachian trail! wow. DH and I had our best vacations hiking and backpacking.

I'm working my way back thru X train, a bit at a time. the music is just fine, not too loud. makes me think the sound mix on newer workouts is louder, and not my DVD player. I have my old workout sheets. not needing to back off much on weight levels. a little lighter for caution, but then on the "failure" set I'm getting 17, 18 reps so I'm feeling pretty good about not losing much

Last edited:
This morning I did Coffey Fit Raw Kettlebell and Dumbbell fusion, 28 minutes, met 6.0, 185 calories, heart rate average 127, max 162, 1,370 steps. I then did Kelly Coffey Sculpting RX workout #2 using 7# dumbbells throughout, 30 minutes, heart rate average 124, max 161, 1,310 steps, met 5.9, 196 calories. Total time was 58 minutes, calories burned 381. I may still do a bit of stretching.

Kettlebell Dumbbell Fusion, 1 minute each movement. 12# dumbbells for compound and weight moves, 3# dumbbells for boxing moves, and 20 # kettlebell for swings and figure 8's
squat curls 12# dbs, punching 3# dbs, double arm swing kettlebell
repeat
deadlift into high pull 12# dbs, upper cut feet switch 3# dbs, kettlebell alternating swings
repeat
kickbacks with a step back lunge 12# dbs, high hooks 4 and low hooks 2 3# dbs, figure 8's 20# Kettlebell
repeat
push ups, sit ups 4 punches sit ups 4 hooks alternating
repeat
stretch

Valerie, my husband is more of a meat and potatoes person and not a lot of variety. I cook his meals and mine, but I generally have a plan so it does not require a lot of extra work. I make a pot of chili for him and keep some in the freezer, rice cooked in the freezer so things like that are easy. I cook up for myself as well. I don't really mind. Better than having a plate of food left sitting with the stuff he does not want to eat on it. I prefer not to make something I know he won't care for and then be irritated about it. We all have different tastes. LOL my Dad would eat anything, it didn't matter what it was. So, my mother did not have a hard time cooking. When I was able to cook, I cooked dinner rather than be the one that had to clean the kitchen :)
I think technology changes and that is why sound quality difference and even the music choices. That is great that you are able to do the X Train weights that you did before and that many reps.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.