Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/26

another diverticuli person here. I've never had any issues, but diverticula are increasingly common as we get older. I never had polyps but DH has, removed during the procedure. that's why he is on a frequent repeat cycle. some polyps are precancerous, others not. No, I also dont think it would make a good wall picture!

Salmon is popular here so every store carries it. Costco has very good choices and a little less expensive, probably due to their sales volume. I remember canned salmon from the past as having bones in it, and hating it. we called it cat food. good fresh salmon is so much different.

Deb, I'm sure we came across Acorn somewhere. we get a different mix in MT and sometimes it is hard to sort out. I would check any smaller fish carefully to get any little bones out before cooking. I don't think anyone wants to pick their dinner apart looking for them.

Has anyone looked into the new singles vaccine? its a 2 shot series called Shingrix. it seems to be on a long backorder. I am trying to find out if it is covered by Medicare. you would think I'd asked for a solution to world peace and harmony. it sounds like it's not, and the cost would be several hundred dollars, if you can find it to begin with. I called United health care and listened to the longest rambling 'non explanation" I could imagine. I will probably check with the pharmacy. they haven't any for months now so not exactly a rush to find the answer.
It sounds like it is not covered unless you have met a deductible of $275 of higher tier level drugs over the year. maybe there will be an adjustment for 2019. wondering if anyone else has asked or gotten any useful info?

I didn’t work out this morning. I woke up with a headache and didn’t feel up to it. My head is much better, but I will wait until tomorrow.

Deb, great job with Live Low Impact HiiT. Modifications are fine and you still get your workout done. The salmon is a bit pricey, but when I compared it to wild Alaskan salmon that I was buying at the grocery store it didn’t cost much more. The quality is so much better that I don’t mind paying a little more.

Diane Sue, nice work with the Coffeyfit Raw Fitness Test. You are already pretty strong, but you might see a difference the next time that you do it.

Hello to Judy, Lori, and Valerie. Have a wonderful day everyone.

This morning I did Cathe Live Triple Fit, warm up and step cardio only, 17 minutes, met 7.0 131 calories, heart rate average 137, max 164, 1,633 steps. I then did Cathe Live Get Steppin , 51 minutes, average heart rate 145, max 171, met 6.5, 366 calories, 4,764 steps. I finished off with Coffey Fit Raw stretch 28 minutes, 62 calories. Total time was 96 minutes, 530 calories. We have a lizard running around in our house and cannot catch it. Last night my husband saw it go into the vent on the front of the fireplace. Then it came out and started up the chimney, My husband couldn't catch it. Then it got on top of the shelving and went around the ceiling line. I wanted it out before bed as Gertie was going crazy over it. My husband sprayed it with flying bug spray. We thought it was left up there to die. Just before I went to bed, Gertie jumped up and went flying across the room and there was the lizard. I screamed and Gertie because I was afraid she would eat it after it had been sprayed. I put Gertie out and I never could find it again. It went under the coffee table and when I moved it it was gone. It blends with our wood floor. I wore shoes to walk to the bedroom. SO, it is still in here somewhere.

Deb, nice work on the Low Impact Hiit. I have to adjust the workouts at times due to my knee issue. The step I did today had a lot of pivoting and I had to be careful of pushing off the step with pivoting so that I didn't torque it wrong. They said there was not anything that I really needed to do for the diverticuli. I just looked it up on Web md, Dr Axe who obviously puts a lot of what is on Mercola. There are different views here and there. It seems probiotics are up there on top, fiber, some say avoid grains. Most agree fruits and veggies are good. I have thought about making Gerties dog food. But, I get tired of making her cookies. I have seen them do a video on it on a Paleo website where they explained going and loading up on chicken when there was a good sale. Sprouts often has sales for chicken breast at 1.99 a pound boneless. Making sure it would be balanced with the fruits ,veggies and probably some supplements. It is more the work than anything else. We have a new gourmet kind of high end pet food store that is in the shopping center by Sprouts. They probably have some of the better homemade type food , but that is really costly. It is funny, because when I first saw the sign, I thought it was a restaurant. I did a lot of looking up things on the Natural Balance Limited ingredient grain free before I chose it. I am getting the salmon and fish one so it is not far off from what she has been eating in the Blue Basic grain free. I will see.

Valerie, I usually get the Keta salmon by Orca Bay that is in the freezer section of Sprouts. It is pretty good. I don't buy the fresh because it almost always says color added on their add. The Orca Bay is around 10.00 for 2 filets. Sometimes they have a sale for a bit less.

Carolyn, I noticed that the Alaska Salmon was higher than the Keta. It seems those boxed packages with odd weight pieces is the better price. I think I am going to try to push myself through a few more high rep workouts and maybe I will do better next time I do the fitness test workout on Coffey Fit Raw. I really do not enjoy high rep workouts though.

Valerie-I just called the CVS Minute Clinic here and was told that they have Shingrix. They are charging $179 per shot. I doubt if my insurance covers it. I'm going to go in after we get back from our trip to Indiana.

Reactions: WD
I haven’t checked on insurance coverage for the Shingrix vaccine yet, but I will do so soon. I have read that there is a shortage in some locations.

Diane Sue, my favorite is the sockeye. The odd size portions are a good buy. I forgot to mention that they only ship Monday-Wednesday to make sure that products arrive on time.

The shingrix vaccine is covered under my United Healthcare Medicare Advantage plan. It must be submitted under Part D prescription coverage rather than medical.

Carolyn the shipping days makes a lot of sense. I had read on our Silver Script that some injections have to be done at a pharmacy as a prescription would be. I was still able to get my flu shots and I think I can get the pneumonia one at my doctor office.

Carolyn is that related to the $275 "deductible"? My plan is also United medicare advantage program but I have been unable to get anything specific about it. called their help line and could not get any help. so far the line has been busy, I talked to someone who knew absolutely nothing, tried back later and the call got dropped after about 2 minutes. enough for one day.

all immunizations here are at pharmacies. right now Costco is holding any shingrix they get for people who have had the first shot of the 2 shot series. I don't believe there is any consistency in how these kinds of things are handled from state to state.

Last edited:
Deb, have you heard of Honest Dog Food that is human grade dehydrated. You have to add water and mix it up or you can buy the fruit and veggie base mix to add your own protein too? I didn't realize what it was when I looked at it at Sprouts and it was 20 dollars for 2# , but two pounds I believe makes something like 8# of dog food. It was around 59.00 on Amazon for enough chicken to make 16# . Somewhere a bit higher than what I am spending. If I buy enough to make 40# it is even lower cost. The fish was more around 117.00 for what equals 40# dog food. It is less for the base mix that you add your own protein to.

Today I did All Out Low Impact HiiT floor cardio only premix for 23 minutes and 159 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 159. After that I did one of the new JS workouts, Feel Good Fusion, Fusion Strength. This one surprised me. The workout was 47 minutes and 296 calories burned. My average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 162. This is essentially a total body workout with high reps and light weights. I used 3# dumbbells. There is quite a bit of balance work included some of which I couldn’t do! I kept my toes on the floor with most of the moves that required balancing on one leg. Something for me to work up to.

I just checked with Walgreens and CVS and they both have the shingrix vaccine available. Valerie, I don’t have a deductible with my plan.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

Today I did not do the Cathe Live 200. Maybe tomorrow. It is a cardio workout, after I looked at it. It has a weight movement or two for each round put in using 8 or 10# dumbbells along with things like push ups, burpees, plyo jacks, some abs etc.. I thought it was a total body strength workout, which is basically, but not a normal weight workout. I knew Cathe had it listed under cardio and wondered why. Now I know. I see she did a step today. I will have to check that out. I brought our better extra long hdmi cable up today and the streaming did well from my laptop to my television.
Today, I did Cathe Live Fit legs from her streaming last week, 46 minutes(42 actual) 1,596 steps, 249 calories, met 4.9, heart rate 114 average, 144 max. I then did Coffey Fit Raw Core Moves, 25 minutes, heart rate average 100, max 133, 83 calories, met 3.0. I still love this one and she puts some bridges and hamstring roll ins into it. Everything is done with the stability ball. I used my Bosu Ballast ball that has sand in it today.
Fit Legs live 42 minutes Cathe starts out with a 30# barbell and round 3 increases to 40# , 10,12,15# dumbbells
This is 4 rounds of moves each done twice with no real rest other than adjusting weights between rounds Also starts out with a step and 3 risers per side
RD #1
squats 35# barbeell (Cathe 30#) 16 reps then 3 and 1 going into low ends
static lunge 15# dbs 16 reps right then 16 left
drop squats off step 15# db 16 reps
repeat
RD #2
elevated lunge 16 reps then 2 sets of 7&1 12# dbs
barbell plie squat 35# barbell (Cathe 30#) 16 reps then 3&1 then low ends
cross back lunges 12# dumbbells 8 alternating then 7&1 then 8 alternating then 7&1
repeat
RD #3
just platform for push dips 12# dbs (Cathe 10# dbs) 16 reps the 7&1 2 times
deadlift 40# barbell 16 reps
alternate side lunge 12# dbs (Cathe 10# dbs) 12 reps
repeat
RD #4
3 risers on step reverse lunge 15# dbs 16 reps (Cathe 12#dbs)
deadlift 40# barbell 3&1 count 16 reps
forward leaning diagonal lunge (Cathe 12#dbs) 15# dbs 20 reps alternating

Carolyn, I like to work with balance moves. Sometimes it is difficult, but I think it can be something to help with our alignment and to protect us from falls and injuries as we get older. I think I have some sort of deductible with Silver Script because I had to pay 34 dollars for my hydroxychlorquine. I don't like prescriptions and wasn't taking any , so that is why I chose the plan that I did.

I will let the shingles thing go until 2019. no one has any vaccine around here anyway, and if they do it is reserved for people who had the first shot already.

went mt biking this morning, again I forgot to stop my timer. about 2 hours. 6-7 miles. it was a better ride than the last 2 for me, now that I am over the UTI. biking ..especially mt biking.... is a terrific exercise for balance. you don't even realize you are practicing it but you are. tree farm was quiet before the weekend, so probably our last ride for a few days. I will try to get in upper body weights later today.

ETA we have a few alligator lizards in our yard. they are small and skinny and shy. maybe a foot long as adults with half of it being tail. In the yard is fine, even in the cold frame where they like to spend the winter. in my living room however, would not be good. n good luck catching it!

Last edited:
Good afternoon,

The day went right by me and this is the first I have sat down to a computer. Just PT exercises yesterday.

Valerie, great that you are over the UTI. I have not looked into the new Shingles vaccine. I saw someone post about it on another forum here, I think it was Linda ( Garance). Not sure if my insurance plan would cover it.

Carolyn, good workout, glad your headache is better today.

Diane Sue, ugh, a lizard running around is not fun. I can imagine what Gertie would do. Kylee would be going crazy. She chases ants on the patio. Of course, eats them when she catches up to them. Do you mean the Honest Kitchen dog food. That is dehydrated raw I believe. You mix it with water, it reconstitutes into a kind of gravy. Then you add your own protein. I have read about it, but never tried it. Some places give out samples so that you can try it, even their web site may have a sample pack. Some people's reviews are really positive, some say their dogs won't eat it at all. I use the recipe in Dr Karen Becker's book, "Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats". She is the vet that is linked to the Mercola site. She also has a vitamin/mineral mix that you make to add to the food, but I think there are others that you can buy pre-made like "Balance It" and one called Dogzymes.

Hi to Judy & Lori

Take care,

Deb, yes, it is the Honest Kitchen. They have a formula for using with your own protein and others that are dehydrated with the protein in them. They carry the 2# that make 8# at Sprouts. I got the Natural Balance fish grain free limited ingredient today. I mixed it with some of what is left of her other food and she seemed to love it. It actually smelled good when I opened the bag. I saw the cookbook for dog food on Mercola. I was over there reading some articles a couple of days ago after reading the reviews on the dog food on Amazon.

I made a wonderful roasted vegetable salad that has an avocado dressing for dinner. It was in the July Paleo magazine.
I am sharing it just in case anyone is interested.

Roasted Vegetable Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
for the vegetables:
1 medium bell pepper any color seeded and chopped (sliced)
1 small butternut squash peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
1Tbs fresh thyme finely chopped (I used dried)

2 Tbs olive oil
sea salt and black pepper to taste
4 cups mixed greens
for the dressing:
1 medium ripe avocado pitted
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbs lime juice
1 tsp lemon zest finely grated
1 garlic clove sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl , combine bell pepper, squash, brussels sprouts, oil and tyme and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat well. Arrange on baking sheet in an even layer. Roast about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring about half way through.
3. Make the dressing: in a food processor combine the avocado flesh, olive oil, lime juice, garlic , lemon zest and a pinch of salt. Process till creamy smooth. Transfer to a piping bag or plastic food bag with corner snipped off. ( I did not do this, I just spooned some over the salad.
4. To serve, arrange the salad greens on 4 serving plates. Top each with some roasted vegetables. Pipe dressing on top of the salad and serve.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday except for PT exercises.

Diane Sue, that's great that Gertie liked the Honest Kitchen food. Will you continue with it after you run out of her current food, or will you continue to mix? I like the idea of adding your own protein, only because you can mix up the protein, and there is something solid in there for the dog. It may be me, but I would prefer something that has some solid stuff in it! LOL... Thanks for the vegetable recipe. It looks great. I may try it but will have to change up the veggies. John will not even look at a Brussels sprout. Would broccoli work?

Deb, I have not purchased the Honest Kitchen yet. I found it after I ordered the Natural Balance. I do plan on trying it and yes the idea of something solid seems like it would be better. I think dogs like to chew on the food, much like we do :) I had though that broccoli, might work well in that salad. I used red bell pepper in it and sprinkled a bit of garlic powder into the oil and thyme for roasting. I didn't notice till after I did it that there is garlic added to the dressing.
Thinking of protein and making dog food, I once went to Sprouts when they had 1.88 a pound for boneless chicken breast. The man in front of me was filling his cart with packages of it. I, don't mean a few, it was a lot. I finally reached around him and grabbed a couple because I was afraid he was going to take it all. I watched a video on one of the Paleo sites where they had hit a sale and they were opening loads of packages of the chicken breast to prep for dog food that they were freezing up for future use. At the time, I thought about the guy in Sprouts.

Diane sue... salad sounds delicious. It will be a while before we get butternuts. I have to use them quickly because they don't keep very well, but I'll bet sweet potatoes would work fine in this. I love roasted sprouts especially mixed with a sweeter vegie like red pepper, squash, or sweet potatoes, beets. Deb, as with DH and I and our "salmon wars", sometimes you can't win.
olive oil roasted sprouts are so good, and mixed with sweeter vegies it might be worth a try. it is hard to get around preconceptions. I was raised on boiled, over cooked vegies. the whole class of vegies ( cabbage, broccoli, sprouts, cauliflower) smells and tastes bad when overcooked / boiled to mush. that's what we got. they didn't know any better apparently. I wonder how many people learned to hate vegetables because they were not cooked decently. I used to smell the boiling cabbage from several houses away, and dreaded coming home to a house reeking of hydrogen sulfide. Vegies lightly roasted in olive oil are so good. I use parchment paper so I don't even have a pan to clean.

we are getting our skylights replaced today. they are 30+ years old and are deteriorating. will mess with exercise time but will see what works out. we do not go anywhere on labor day. traffic and crowding is awful.

There has been a news story the last month about a young woman who is lost on a hike near here, and has not been found. it has been a month so she probably did not survive, assuming that the facts are as presented. It's odd but I keep hearing that for some reason, the story has gotten national coverage. it is a hike DH and I have done many times.

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to wish you all a good holiday weekend. It's been a busy week and I haven't been online much. I'll get back to posting next week when we are back from our trip.

Take care,

Judy

Today's workout was Cathe Live Ready Set Step that she did Thursday, 42 minutes, heart rate average 138, max 165, 3,877 steps, met 6.0, 278 calories. This was so much fun. A little more of a learning curve than some, but familiar moves. I then did Cathe live 200, 44 minutes, 282 calories, heart rate average 125, max 155, met 5.8, 1,883 steps. Total time today was 86 minutes, 557 calories burned. The 200 workout was tough, but a fun way to get in some toning along with cardio :)
LIVE 200
4 rounds 200 reps each round which is done 5 times except the 4th which is done 6 times. Each move is done 10 reps. Just 1 or 2 exercises per round uses weights which are 8's and 10's.
Rnd 1
squat digs 10 reps
rear lunge 8# dbs 10 reps
toe in planks 10 reps
fly's with leg out 8# dbs 10 reps
done 5 times
Rnd 2
10 burpees
10 squats with 10# dbs
10 push ups
10 sit ups with feet touching knees open
repeat 5 times
Rnd 3
10 icebreakers
10 squat press 10# dbs
10 soldier planks
10 lying extension pullovers 8# dbs
repeat 5 times
Rnd 4
10 plyo jacks
10 alternating forward lunges
10 sumo side to side squat biceps curls 8# dbs (Cathe picks up 10's on the final 6th round)
10 crab kicks
repeat 6 times

Valerie, I loved the mix of the vegetables and the butternut squash cooked up perfectly. I do not like it so much steamed or mixed into soups because it has a mushy texture. I grew up loving vegetables. Cabbage was just usually boiled at our house with a little butter and salt and pepper growing up. I was the odd child and loved it. I find cauliflower rice still has a bit of a smell even when I lightly cook it in a skillet. My grandchildren have always loved the raw veggies. I would put it out and the little girls would just nibble on baby spinach leaves without any dips or dressing. It really is all how it is presented. Broccoli is terrible when it is overcooked.
Maybe there was some other foul play where that woman disappearing is concerned. That happens so much when people go out by themselves. I am guessing our skylights are pretty old and are the originals as seemed to be most things here when we moved in.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.