Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/26

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

PT exercises are going well. Even after only 2 days it seems like there is a little improvement.

Diane Sue, I always avoided the floor work in Cathe's lower body DVD's....but what do you think the PT is? bridges!! One set with a med ball and the other with a very strong loop around my thighs. The FitBit interval timer has come in handy. I have to lift and hold for 10 seconds, then rest for 20 seconds and do 10 reps of this for each exercise. No counting! It buzzes on my arm when the seconds are up and also counts the reps. :). I can understand why you would not be working out today or tomorrow. As for the prep, I understand you avoid drinking the foul stuff, but isn't the end result the same? That is too bad about the meal you had that made you feel ill. Sounds very rich, could be that and the meds you are taking didn't mix well. At least you were able to get something you could enjoy later.

Valerie, I know how frustrating it can be when things like streaming etc are not working right. I stream with a Chromecast plug-in ( $35) on a regular older HD TV. Nothing else is needed, no cables etc. Very simple. Also use my iPad which is an older model to use Amazon Prime streaming. Luckily so far the subtitles still work on all that I watch. I'm with you, once I started using them on British or even Australian TV series, I seem to depend on them and keep then on all the time, even if it is easy to hear and understand what they are saying. Speaking of salmon, ( Diane Sue's replacement dinner), I am not a fan of salmon, but had to try it when we were in Seattle, and it was delicious! Wow, what a difference from what we get here. I would eat it regularly if it was what we got there.

Carolyn, if your car is still good, no need to buy another. The last Subaru I had was 7 years old when I traded it in. It was like brand new. I only did it because I wanted some features of the newer models. PT exercises are above. :). They may get me strong enough to do Cathe's floor work!

Judy, great plan for the remodels. I bet you get it all done before the end of the year.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Deb-That's great that the PT exercises are going well. Thanks for mentioning the interval function on the Fitbit. I haven't used that before but I think I'll give it a try.

Diane Sue-I hope the sprouts probiotics work. The Mercola probiotics must be pretty good. I usually get the Natren Healthy Trinity one. They carry them at Fresh Thyme so I don't have to order them online anymore.

Carolyn-I'll post a review of the JS workouts after I've previewed them, probably later today.

Deb, I have seen the bridges suggested on PT sites when I was working on the hip and low back pain I had on my right side. Ben Shatto has you do the hip bridges and graduates to holding with a band around the thighs. I have used the timer, but not the interval timer. That would be handy.
I just did not want to use the flavored drink packets in the water that I mix the Polyethylene glycol. I used the electrolyte water this morning, 20 oz, with the Polyethylene and there was no taste at all. The flavor packets were Great Value Walmart individual artificial sweetened packets for bottled water. I also had to take a senna tablet.
There is definitely a difference in good quality fresh salmon and most of what is packaged in the grocery stores. Sprouts has sales in their meat department and it always has color added in the add. I find that annoying. I bought some Walmart salmon recently and was put off by the strong smell and the fact that when it is thawed it is thin and limp.
I am always thinking I need to go try a fish market we have not too far away that supposedly brings in fresh fish. I would imagine cost is through the roof.

Judy, the Mercola probiotic is the first one that I have used and noticed any difference with. I wish the cost of the better products was not so much.

Deb, I’m not surprised that the PT is including bridges. Like Diane Sue, I have seen them recommended for hips and knees. Strong glute muscles help to stabilize and support hips and knees. The wild Alaskan salmon that I order from Vital Choice is the best salmon that I have ever had. There is no comparison with that and the salmon in the grocery store.

Today is my rest day. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Deb glad you are getting some relief . Keep at it. I was given bridges as an exercise when I had knee issues.

I got into subtitles because I couldn't understand British series. Aussie is bad too. Sometimes you hear what was said but because of different word use, you still don’t know what’s meant. at least with subtitles you can "see" what you heard and look it up. same issue with law and police dramas. the more complex ones use a lot of acronyms and uncommon words, and again, subtitles give you something solid. I remember watching The Sopranos on disk (or videotape?) and it was night and day for me. first time thru I missed half the spoken dialogue. subtitles made it simple. as we watched, my ear got more accustomed to the accents and expressions, so I needed the subtitles less and less. we re-watched it with subtitles. it was entirely different for me and I enjoyed it. We turn them on routinely, but look at them when we miss something.

Salmon is generally pretty good here and usually available fresh. preparation is important, key is not over cooking it. wild fish are better than farm raised. I like salmon a lot, DH does not. he won't eat it and makes such a damn fuss he makes it hard for me to enjoy it. I make him something else but he whines about the smell etc. I'm not a fan of most seafood so he doesn't have to suffer. no clams, crab, oyster, mussels etc served here. the smell of those is too much for me. dislike cod,pollock, sole. I am fine with tilapia. halibut good but too expensive. Costco usually has fresh wild salmon , from Alaska and also farmed. I buy a package for myself and divide it into single servings and freeze it.

diane sue it sounds like you are doing what we call the Miralax prep. I took that for my first scoping, but because I have a very twisted abnormal colon, it didn't work well. it was easy to take, and way less yucky than the Golytely prep, which I had for the second procedure. If you go thru 2 days of "prep" you want something that works effectively.... or all the prep was a waste of time and money. I will always need golytely ….if I ever do it again.

Deb we tried chromecast and roku. neither worked here at all. everyone's house is a hodgepodge of different age and brand of TV's, routers, modems, players etc. its kind of amazing anything works!

My little Subaru forester is a 2004 and still going strong. it is a great little car and I like it better than the 2018 forester. I will probably run it until it dies. I don't put much mileage on it. it is simple and uncomplicated. Inside and out it still looks new but has around 115,000 miles on it.

Carolyn, I remember you posting about Vital Choice before. I need to check that out.

Valerie, I like Mahi Mahi really well. I usually purchase that or Salmon. Generally I am not a fan of cod, but Schwan's had some that was excellent. Really Schwan's is the only place I ever liked tilapia. To me most tilapia tastes soil or something. I don't think you can buy wild caught tilapia. If I remember right it is some odd genetic variety that is farm raised. Halibut is always delicious, but you are right about the cost. I should get Schwan's back. They carried some of the best fish I also like shrimp and the had precooked tail off large shrimp. My problem with them is the temptation to purchase extra things like ice cream and cheese cake etc.. The meats were good. Still had to watch some things as some chicken products had soy in them.
I read a PDF file that compared different colonoscopy prep programs and it talking about how effective they were and percentages. Also that there are different cases where certain methods may not work. I had Miralax the last colonoscopy but it was not divided up with senna tablets and taken in 7 divided doses. It has been much easier drinking 20 oz servings and the pills. The food although very small amounts kind of takes the edge off the nausea right after drinking it. My bed time dose was 2 senna tabs instead of one and I had my last snack of two chips ahoy cookies. The 2:30 am dose is without food and ends any more liquid. My daughter is picking me up before 7 in the morning.

Did Total body metabolic today. I like this one and use Cathe weight for much of it. a couple things I use 8 lbs instead of 10.
Diane sue, best of luck on the procedure. You will do fine!

I think Miralax and Laxacare ( Costco) are the same polyethylene glycol material, just different brand names, sold in different quantities. there is a certain # of grams needed for the procedure, and I just measured it out of the costco "house" brand Laxacare container for DH last time he needed the prep. I don't remember how the doses were spaced out, but the last day was a clear liquids only day. same polyethylene stuff, cheaper than the brand name. I thought they wanted all food residue out of the colon for a good 12 hours before the procedure. Whatever works though , they must know what they are doing, because if it doesn't work, no one will be happy.

Guess what, (surprise) DH didn't like Mahi mahi! he detests shrimp. I'm so-so, not worth a battle. I can't taste much flavor from tilapia itself except seasoning or sauce on it. I get it from Costco, it is a farmed fish. it is boneless and the texture is firm which is what we need.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did the 21 Day Fix Upper Body workout, plus the PT exercises.

Judy, the only thing that is not great on the interval workout timer on the FitBit is that the "buzz" that it does on your arm is so light, you can miss it. I am lying down prone, just doing timed bridges, and I sometimes miss the buzz. If you were running, or even walking, it would be easy to miss. I was looking at the set up to see if there was a sound alert or something else but could not find anything.

Diane Sue, good luck today with your procedure. Yes, the bridges are squeezing a ball between your knees, and with a belt ( or I use a firewalker loop) around your thighs and pushing outward. The movement is for 10 seconds, then a 30 second rest. Each one is 10 reps. I would be very hesitant on any salmon bought anywhere but a fish market. Even then, here, on the east coast I would be suspect. I like Mercola a lot. I get a lot of supplements for the dogs from them. I used their probiotic for years, until my last C-Dif episode. I went with the one that my Gastro DR recommended, and have been using that since. It does the bacteria a little differently, and he said he thinks it is a better way for preventing C-Dif.

Carolyn, hope you had a nice relaxing rest day! I can see why bridges etc would help strengthen the glutes and hamstrings, but if it is just that mine are weak, what is the pain from? I guess I will ask him at the next PT session.

Valerie, what are you watching currently? I really like all the British and Australian shows on Acorn TV. Have you seen 800 Words? A nice comedy semi drama. Beautiful scenery in New Zealand, nice story. No blood, violence, and little sex, ( mostly just kissing). I learned a lot about the culture in New Zealand/Australia. I would probably believe your Costco would have fresh wild caught salmon, but not sure I would for our similar store here. Farmed fish scares me after reading about how they raise them.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Deb I have not noticed acorn tv before. We just switched to the 4 gen Apple TV and everything works different than 3rd. I will look for it. Nothing great to watch right now. DH wanted to watch The Americans so we are I don’t enjoy it at all. silly spy stuff. I don’t enjoy most spy/ espionage at all. Re-watching second season of Ttrue Detective. It’s a short series. Good people in it. Also Friday Night Lights a tv series from a few years ago. It’s a well written family drama I am enjoying. They take on quite a few big topics without feeling contrived and “too pc “ , the characters are believable. There was another police drama we started but will go back to with subtitles back on.

That will be interesting to see why those exercises help bursitis

I don’t like the idea of farmed fish either and would stick with wild salmon but it is an impossible battle to get him to eat it . Costco has farmed steelhead that is pretty good too and he will maybe eat that. I’ve tried about everything but he acts like a 2 yr old about it. I try to be adult and know there are things I won’t eat either ....especially mayonnaise, blue cheese, ranch anything and I don’t like a lot of fishy things either. Tuna does not get served here and I would never ever eat sushi

Hi Everyone,

Diane Sue-Good luck today. I hope everything goes well. I agree about the cost of the better probiotics. I usually only take the Healthy Trinity a couple of times a week due to that.

Deb-I tried the Fitbit timer yesterday and I agree, the buzz is so faint that I could barely feel it. It's too bad there isn't a way to make it stronger. It would be a great feature if it worked better. I also had to do bridges for my low back PT. I think what happens it that if your glutes are weak, like mine, then the other smaller muscles of the hips and low back have to take over and that is what causes the problems. What probiotic is it that your doctor recommended? You probably mentioned it before but I don't recall.

Valerie-We have the 4th gen Apple TV too. Chris will eat salmon occasionally but not really any other seafood. We usually get ours from Costco.

Hi to Carolyn & Lori!

Judy

This morning I did part of Step Blast (2 combos) for 34 minutes and 210 calories burned. My average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate was 138. I followed up with JS Gentle Yoga Flow 3 for hips and knees for an additional 22 minutes. I met a work friend for lunch after my workout and had a great visit with her.

Deb, I’m not sure about the exact compensatory movements, but it is my understanding that weak glute muscles can cause problems with knees, hips and low back. I’m sure that the PT can explain it.

Diane Sue, I hope your procedure went well today. I first learned about Vital Choice Wild Salmon from some health articles several years ago. I was hesitant to order at first, but I have had nothing but good experiences with them. I always order enough for free shipping and it comes in 2 days.

Valerie, that’s funny that your husband has such an aversion to fish. I don’t blame you for avoiding the issue. My husband was not much of a fish eater either unless it was fried, but he actually loves the salmon.

Hello to Judy and Lori.

Carolyn, his mother didn't cook much. his father wouldn't eat anything! raised on spaghettio's & PB&J. fish sticks were their idea of fish. not that there is anything wrong with fish sticks, I like them too, but pretty limiting. He also hates mayo and I think it came from the awful mayo/tuna sandwishes kids are fed. . He has a very sensitive palate.. I think he's probably a "super taster" . things can be too strong or spicy for him very easily. whereas, I like things HOT. it's funny though, he can tolerate WAY more salt than I like. I'm not a sensitive taster , I like intense flavors. I wish he were a little more forgiving about seafood but not likely happening. I like salmon, easy to get around here, easy to prepare, so I'd have it every week if I could. trout would be fine too, and I'm hoping if he learns to fly fish he will get past the "no bones" issue.

we did a hike this morning, about 3 1/2 hours. probably 3-4 miles RT but a bit of a climb. nice morning out after a wet weekend.

I would bet we get into trouble with glutes and hams because we ( as a society) sit so much and they don't get worked enough.

Good evening ladies,

I have been in a little funk since coming back from vacation. I have been keeping up with 80 day and adding in here and there. My conference I plan in less than 2 weeks away and I am feeling so overwhelmed! Once it is over I know I will feel better and get back into things. I come home and pretty much go to bed. It is 9pm and this is the latest I have seen since vacation. Going to read posts and catch up. Wanted to say hi to everyone!

The procedure went well and everything was great today :) I was so tired I wasn't waking up as fast as they would have liked me too LOL What would one expect when given anesthetic after not sleeping most of the night? Once I did they gave me a couple of birthday cookies with rainbow sprinkles in them since it was my birthday. Funny, that they noticed that and wanted to know why I chose that day. My daughter took me to Panera and I got a chicken avocado melt and had a latte. She then took me to TJ Max shopping :) She bought me a really cute purple Calvin Klein dress, a long sweater in a pale pink and with black in the weave and a black t shirt to wear underneath. Then I bought another dress and a pink t shirt. I thought we were done, but then she took me to Chili's and I had a chipotle chicken bowl. It was a fun afternoon and I made up for the calories missed yesterday :D My husband came home from work and asked if I wanted to go out to eat. I told him I had eaten plenty. He sent me a beautiful bouquet of flowers that smell wonderful, purple roses with other purple flowers that remind me of freesia, but I don't think that is what they are as they smell sort of like a combination of snapdragons and carnations. They came in a purple vase. I love purple LOL I almost forgot how sore my stomach felt all day because I was enjoying myself so much.

Valerie, maybe the difference was adding the senna tablets along with the propylene glycol. The whole process was easier than the last time. I really love most fish. We used to have a restaurant that we would go to where I would get sea bass that was wonderful. I am trying to incorporate more seafood into my diet and less beef. There are days though where my main protein for the day comes from collagen and protein powder. My husband will eat something like halibut or mahi mahi once in awhile. He mainly likes the breaded Long John Silvers type of fish.

Deb, I find the buzz or vibration on my Fit Bit pretty strong. Isn't there a setting to adjust the level of that? I use the silent alarm on my watch and it wakes me up. I like it much better than some noise startling me awake. Nice job working around the injured area today. I have read that there is so many different strains and types of pro-biotics and it can make a difference for needs. It seems soil based have less cfu's, but the body handles them differently? Also some have a pre-biotic in them and some do not. Mercola products seem to be good. I ordered different salmon dog food for Gertie this time. Hoping it works it is Natural Balance Grain Free. When I went to the Blue basics salmon and potato grain free she has been eating now for a long time, I noticed recent complaints of dogs getting sick and odd things in the food. I was afraid to order. This last bag seemed good, but the one before she had tried to avoid eating and I had to switch from broth to adding pumpkin to get her to eat it. Just worried. I hate having to switch. Someone said that the Blue foods had been taken over by some food company and it has changed. I also looked at Merrick and read that Purina had taken over and their quality went down.

Valerie, it wouldn't be so bad on cost, but when you take more than one supplement, it gets ridiculous on cost. Sometimes I look at Dr Axe's package deals with multiple products and think 170 dollars? You are kidding. I need to be able to buy groceries too! I am trying another one from New Rhythm that has a prebiotic, lots of strains, and 50 billion cfu. Hopefully it works as cost is better. I sometimes would take only one capsule instead of two if I had Kombucha and yogurt during the day.

Carolyn, nice work. Two days shipping is not bad. I guess they come packed in ice? I always wondered how they ship meats and seafood.

Lori, it looks like you have a lot going on. I hope things will ease up a bit for you.

Good morning,

Only PT exercises yesterday. Something low impact cardio today I think.
Valerie, Acorn TV is an "add-on" to Amazon Prime. It is a channel within Prime that has all British and Australian programs. It also carries a lot of the ones that are on PBS, like Doc Martin, A Place to Call Home, Vera and many more. The thing is, you get to see them on Acorn way in advance of when they are aired on PBS. I tried watching The Americans but did not enjoy it either. I'll check out True Detective and see if it is on Prime. I don; think fly fishing will be a solution. Most ( if not all) is catch and release. :). I;m sure there are places ( like a charter) that lets you keep them, but not in the streams around here.

Judy, Yes, the interval timer is a great idea, wish it had a better notification alarm. It is ok when doing something like bridges, when you are just lying there and can wait for the buzz. The probiotic recommended is Florastor. The good thing about it is they have a generic version at Rite Aid which is a lot cheaper. He said something about this being one they use in Europe, and it works differently, something about the good bacteria staying in the colon, or something like that. All I know is, it has worked so far.

Carolyn, great workout combo, and nice that you had a visit with your friend afterward. Thanks for the info on Vital Choice. I assume it comes on dry ice or something like that.

Lori, Good that you are getting some rest. I hope you feel better.

Diane Sue, good news on the procedure! What a nice afternoon afterwards too. :). Wow, Panera and then Chili's, you must have been hungry. LOL. Don't you wish you could sleep like we do during the procedure? How nice to get those flowers. Purple is my favorite color too! I tried to check out the level of the notification, but could not find it. I keep thinking it should be adjustable too. Yes, there is a big thing going on with Blue Buffalo food. Dr Karen Becker, the vet that is partnered with Mercola had an article on it recently.

Take care,

This morning I did Hard Strikes for 47 minutes and 331 calories burned. My average heart rate was 129 and my maximum heart rate was 151. The conditioning exercises provide a nice and short high rep upper body workout.

The salmon is shipped in an insulated container with dry ice and sometimes ice packs. I try to order when they have a sale going with 10-15% off, but that doesn’t always happen. The code that I used last week is WILD18 and is valid until August 31. Vital Choice is located in Bellingham, Washington.

Diane Sue, you really were hungry after your procedure! Not a good way to start your birthday, but it sounds like you had a wonderful day overall.

Lori, it’s not surprising that you are feeling down lately. I hope things get back to normal for you soon.

Valerie, I’m glad that you were able to hike yesterday.

Hello to Deb and Judy.

Deb I think we had Acorn access at one point so will look after we get the 4th gen apple Tv settled down. seems to be working OK and getting subtitles again. DH gets in his head I am too picky about programs. The Americans is one of those. Not the worst thing I've ever seen but I don't enjoy it and feel it is wasting my time because I can't keep attention on it. plus there are a lot of seasons. As I remember there were 2 seasons to True Detective, but the stories were not connected and different actors. I think the first season was woody harrelson and Mathew mccoughney( spelling) I enjoyed the second season and thought it had the best TV shoot out I've ever seen. plus Rachel Mccadams is in it and she is a favorite for me. and colin Farrell. I think its only 9 or so episodes.I enjoy it, a complicated enough plot so better the second time.

You're right about most trout fishing being catch and release. it might get him to think about fishing and eating smaller fish while being careful about little bones. I prefer fish without bones too, but if I caught it myself, I'll bet I'd overlook small things. I've had trout before. if catches it himself, it might be an easier sell.

diane sue that sounds like a good outcome and a good payoff for doing it on your birthday. I am so sick after the procedure I am in bed for much of the day sleeping. maybe a light snack. I know almost everyone feels relieved and goes out to 'party" but all the anesthetic I need makes me sick. I am asleep and tossing anything I eat or drink. That sounds like a pretty good birthday overall.

medical appts today, probably no workout time.

Last edited:
This morning I did Coffey Fit Raw Fitness Test workout, 38 minutes, heart rate 111 average, 144 max, 201 calories, met 4.8, 1,215 steps. I then did Coffey Fit Raw Bands and Barre, 35 minutes, heart rate average 111 , max 147, met 4.0 154 calories, 1,163 steps. I used 3# ankle weights and for the upper I used the Cathe heavy tubing and sometimes the addition of 8# dumbbells with the tubing. Total time was 73 minutes, calories burned 355.
Coffey Fit Raw test (34 actual minutes, but I paused a couple of times to write down the first round)
I used 15# dumbbells for this since it is the first time. You are supposed to try it once a month to access your fitness gains and try to get more reps in or add more weight. Step or bench, tubing or dumbbells
30 seconds each exercise Kelly says 3 rounds but adds an extra round at the end for 4 rounds.
bench press 15# dumbbells 32,33, 25, 32, reps
push up 19,23,28,22 reps
dumbbell squats 15# dbs 19,22,23,21 reps
prisoner squats 30,32,32,32 reps
shoulder press alternating 15# dbs 24,18,18,24 reps
pike push up 18,18,19,16 reps
curls 15# dbs 14, 15,15,14 reps
pulse curl with one db or tubing 15# db 24,37,36,34 reps
sit ups 14,13,13,14 reps
hands under small of the back head up scissors 48, 50,52,54 reps

I didn't have them give me pictures of my colon last time I did the colonoscopy there. I thought it was kind of funny when Dr Scott, who designed the Happy Colon kit and instrumental in the testings for it, asked what method I used and how I liked it. I didn't acknowledge that I had looked it up on the internet :) I thought the pictures were kind of gross. My daughter handed them to me and said there is your colon all nice and smooth looking. I thought it was kind of gross. My husband said ewww! I stuck it in the shredder. Not a wonderful keepsake. They did say something about the diverticuli and I guess I need to take care of that as I have never had any real problems. I guess sticking with the probiotics is a good idea. I started some Cats Claw this morning which is supposed to help immunity and RA. I looked it up again today and it also is supposed to help diverticulosis (sp as that doesn't look right) I am hoping to reduce this prescription if possible. I was much more energetic the last two days when I didn't take it. Took it this morning and I am feeling the fatigued feeling settling in.

Deb, glad to hear I am doing the right thing with the dog food. It really worried me and I have had times when I have opened some of the bags and thought it seemed a bit more powdery(grainy looking) and smelled a bit stale. I feel bad that I urged her to eat that dog food thinking maybe it was just me. I used Taste of the Wild for several years then when we moved to Oklahoma City it was hard to find. Now I see it on Amazon. But, I remember reading something about it at one point. I wish I could sleep as soundly as I did with the procedure. I think I got dressed and walked to the wheel chair, but seriously can barely remember. Once I was in the car and got home I was wide awake though. I had a dreadful time falling asleep last night and then I forgot to turn off my silent alarm on my watch and was woke up before 5! I enjoyed every bite of all of that food ;)

Carolyn, thanks for the information on the discounts. I always liked the conditioning drills at the end of Hard Strikes. Nice workout.

Valerie, I usually am out of it and vomiting after anesthesia. They said that there was something in what they use and that I would not feel sick at all. I always worry about that outcome. I felt fine, obviously I ate right after I woke up. I expected to be really tired, but when my daughter left I tried getting a nap and it did not work for me. Even bed last night was a tough process. I sort of felt keyed up.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Low Impact Cardio HIIT, 34 minutes, 178 calories. This was ok, but some moves hurt my hip and I had to modify or sub with something else.

Carolyn, I looked at the website for the salmon. It looks really good, a little on the pricey side, but I can understand why that would be.

Valerie, Acorn TV is $5 extra a month on Prime. I would not like any fish with bones...even if caught fresh. Someone would have to remove all of them before cooking.

Diane Sue, the only time I get pics of the colonoscopy is when there have been polyps removed. For some reason, they take a pic of the polyp. eww...is right. I also have a diverticuli (sp?) issue, but my DR said not to worry about it, they will just keep a watch on it, and of course if I have any kind of incident. What did they tell you do to take care of it? Supposedly, the "no nuts, no seeds, no corn" instructions are going by the wayside. They say now that eating or not eating them does not make a difference. Have you ever looked into making your own dog food? It's not as hard as it may sound, the important part is making sure you have a vitamin/mineral mix to use along with it.

Hi to Lori & Judy,

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.