Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/8

Good morning ladies,

I took a rest day on Wednesday and Thursday and Friday I continued with SB’s challenge with LEK bounces. Not sure what I feel like today.

Judy...glad your back is improving. I am enjoying Linda Woolridge’s bounces a lot. Other than the first, all have been interval with weights or bands and they all have been tough. She is not easy by any means and I love it.

Valerie...with the right conditions glissading looks like a lot of fun! That is pretty much how I ski! Lol! I can see how you can really hurt yourself though if ice or a rock is in the path. The first person going down must have to take some kind of precaution? Or do they just go for it and wish for the best? I have been seeing more and more about the Handmaid’s Tale. Looks like season 1 is on Prime. Mentioned to my husband we need to watch it.

Deb...oh your hip sounds terrible and does not seem to be letting up at all. How long now - 2 weeks? Hope you were comfortble enough for the party last night.

Carolyn...I love seeing all the workouts you do from Cathe’s rotations. I am going to look into turmeric. Same here...I mostly use my Ipad. However, I can not live with out my laptop.

Diane Sue...Great job with kelly! I like how just changing the cardio equipment on home intervals completely changes the workout.

Have a gret day all!

Good morning,

The party was great. Just like a regular wedding, minus the bouquet toss etc. Great food, dancing, a good time for all.

Judy, sorry to hear your back pain has started again. Good idea to stay away from the KB workouts for a bit. That is what caused my back issue a couple months ago.

Diane Sue, I would still think you would want to be home for the "clean out" part right? I also try to stay off the computer, but I like watching stuff on my iPad from Prime, so don't really stay off, but at least not just cruising around the internet aimlessly. :). Have not tried heat yet but will do that. The icing didn;t seem to do much.

Valerie, will try heat.. I know what you mean by being on the computer almost like an addiction. That is what goes on with people with their phones too. Will check to see if those shows are on Prime. Most of them are usually not, if on Netflix or Hulu.

Carolyn, I hear you on not shopping while hungry. When you get home and unload the groceries, you can find stuff in there you would never usually buy. LOL...

Lori, good that you took a couple of rest days. It seems to have helped. I probably did too much dancing at the party, and will pay for it today. It really didn;t hurt when I was doing it, and that was in heel! I slept better than I have in a while, woke up at 6:30...2 hours longer than normal.

Will try agility class this morning, but may stop if it hurts too much.

Take care,

I don't pay attention to where the programs get accessed but we can't get prime to work. (apple TV) we get Netflix and Hulu, and both of these programs are on Hulu. sorry, DH does the TV stuff. Hulu has both seasons of Handmaids. It is scary, creepy and terrific.
The Looming Tower has well known people, what I'd call a Docudrama. it recreates the situation and strife between FBI and CIA prior to 9/11, starting back with the bombing of our embassies in Africa and USS Cole. a lot of real footage. it is disturbing. signs were ignored and missed because people were not working together. In real life these events unfold slowly and you ( or the FBI, CIA) the connection or significance. I remember all the events but did not see the pattern. It makes you think about the current political situation with the Russian hacking etc and wonder where we are headed. or not. the world is different than in 1998 and some things are worse. Anyway the series is not boring, but absolutely riveting. it is really well done.

Deb maybe the slightly different stance in heels changed your posture so the sore place wasn't irritated. so wear heels to the agility class!! glad you got to enjoy the anniversary party. and then a good nights sleep besides!

It feels like everything gets channeled thru a computer these days, even the simplest things. I have had a Twitter membership for years but never used it much. then I noticed the WA State Patrol uses Twitter for road alerts, closures, wrecks. Traffic is awful here, and sometimes knowing where problems occur can save so much time and aggravation. this is SO much faster than what shows up on the state DOT maps. on our last trip the traffic information was too little and too late. this is much more timely. for example there was a brush fire that closed the interstate for half the day. I knew about it before 6am so if we'd planned to go that way we would have wasted an entire day.

Lori the first person slides slower because you scrape off loose surface snow, and pick a safe path. once the path is made, it gets faster and faster. the video doesn't show it well, but you drag the tip of the axe in the snow on your left side to act like a brake. your feet too. if you go too fast you roll over to the right onto your stomach and jam the ax into the snow. it is a technique taught in mountaineering classes. you practice it a lot from all positions before doing it IRL. conditions can vary a lot from scary fast to too slow to even bother.
My skiing technique was similar! I never was good but it was fun.

Judy hope a few days off improves things. yes, if it hurts, don't do it.

This morning I did a timesaver premix from Rockout Knockout. It was 39 minutes and 279 calories burned. Average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 155. I had my investment club today and needed to leave by 8:30. It’s always great to meet with the ladies.

Deb, I’m so glad that you enjoyed the party.

Lori, I’m impressed that you took some days off. I love Cathe’s rotations because I feel that they are well planned. When I substitute a similar workout I don’t worry that I have changed the balance and focus of the rotation.

Valerie, I have wanted to watch the Handmaid’s Tale but haven’t because it sounds a bit scary for me. I am a real wimp about scary movies and tv programs but I still might try it. I am currently watching a few episodes of The Crown from season 1.

Hello to Diane Sue and Judy.

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw kickboxing and olympic lifts, 47 minutes(taking notes), 311 calories, heart rate average 129, max 171, 3,175 steps. I followed with Coffey Fit Raw Core Moves 25 minutes, 93 calories, heart rate average 98, max 131.
Coffey Fit Raw Kickboxing and Olympic Lifts 44 minutes Kelly uses 20# dumbbells and her co-host uses a 33# barbell
Kick box
Deadlift/high pull 35# 2 sets 8 reps
Kickbox
Clean from the hip 2 sets 8 reps
Kickbox
Clean only 2 sets 8 reps
Kickboxing
Push press 2 sets 8 reps
Kickboxing Full clean and press 4 reps 2 sets
Kickboxing followed by stretch

I need to be doing some cleaning. I am hosting family brunch and a birthday for my older daughter tomorrow :) I am making a breakfast casserole. Everyone shares in bringing the food.

Speaking of shows, we have been watching Netflix series the Ranch. I don't know why I have gotten interested as the language makes me want to wear ear plugs. But, it has caught my interest and when I miss some of it my husband lets me know what has happened recently. I always liked Sam Elliot, but her is really not a very nice person for the most part in this. I like Ashton Kutcher in this. I guess they are changing a character because of some allegations of the guy that plays Ashton's brother. I don't like his character either. Sometimes my husband binge watches a series and I get caught up in them. I hate when a series ends and I am really liking it though.

Lori, there are two home gym intervals workouts on Coffey Fit Raw. This last one has short bursts for the cardio. Everything is done for around a minute, I think. I pause the remote to get back on my equipment and add a bit more cardio to them. I will have a rest day Monday and probably tomorrow. I have to leave pretty early for my dr appointment Monday. I mostly use my Galaxy Note 12 tablet throughout the day.

Deb, I doubt I will be going out on the clean out day . That could be a miserable thing. That is great that you had a nice time and danced. Maybe you needed some mobility with the movement and it will be better rather than worse. I mostly read on my tablet and play word with friends, play piano from the books on my tablet, check e mail and my different apps I use. It covers most things. I do use the computer for my bills when I pay them and sometimes getting on here as I feel it is easier to type than on the tablet. I don't like tapatalk and when using the tablet I go through the internet.

Valerie, my husband likes the political series dramas. They are not something I enjoy. I feel many are biased one way or another and manipulative and I just plain find them depressing. I wish there was more truth to everything, but as the nature of man is, there will never be that much honesty. JMO. I had a twitter account. I have no clue what log in is or anything. I never use it. I would probably have to make another account. We have taken some trips with unexpected accidents and road work that meant sitting in the car for long periods of time. It is not fun.

Carolyn, that is so nice that you have your investment club. It sounds like a fun gathering.

Carolyn I loved The Crown. one of my all time favorites. Definitely more violence in Handmaids!
Handmaids Tale..... it depends on what scares you. I never watch "slasher" moves, with creepy music and waiting for the killer to come from behind with the knife. the actual violence bothers me. keeps me awake at night.
Handmaids is upsetting and scary in the way women are treated, some violent things are done to them, they are abused and manipulated, but generally you don't watch much graphic violence. there is some violence, there is a "hanging" wall. I don't want to say too much and be a spoiler. If you can, try an episode and see. it is upsetting and unnerving.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.