Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/8

Good evening ladies,

This morning was all about arms. I started with SB Lightweight for Upper Body 14m, then a SanFran Bounce that had circuits and worked the upper body. I used 2.5 ankle weights and 2lb hand weights for this 30 min bounce. I ended with SB’s Bis and Tris 6 min workout. My arms felt great after this light weight workout.

The decision was made today to go off the chemo pill and continue with hospice. It was one or the other. She is in a lot of pain but is very coherent. You do see her confusion more and more as times passes. She still puts her own makeup on and does her hair. She needs assistance to get out of bed into her wheelchair and to dress and shower. And the only time she needs to get dressed is if going to the doctors or a special event. When she comes home she is wiped for several days. That is how much getting out of the house exhausts her. We are all preparing ourselves as we know there is no bouncing back. I think she will be with us for a couple of months, but that is it. Thank you all. It is nice to be able to talk with you about her.

Deb...was hoping you had some relief by now with your hip. How did you hurt it? I missed how it started. I am hoping to get to see her again. My schedule is so hectic due to what is going on with our company and I just started planning our annual managers conference. So much stress!!!

Diane Sue...I love Tabata workouts and Tabata weights sounds awesome. I am planning to set up my battle ropes again as I have a couple of tabata workputs that use these. When working out with the Trainer last week we did some battle ropes which reminded me to set mine up again. Had to put them away last year when my son moved back. He has been gone a while now so no excuses.

Carolyn...nice workout. Some Tabata workouts are really hard. The one that comes to mind that was so hard for me was Amy Dixon’s Breathless Body. Wow that was a tough one. SB has a couple of great ones but also some “feel good” she calls them tabatas. Your heart rate still climbs with these.

Valerie...that little fawn is persistent! Hoping you can resolve that. Still hard to believe there is snow, but, of course we are talking higher elevation so this makes complete sense. Great you were not sore.

Hi to Judy!!

Have a great night all.

Good morning,

Stretching and icing yesterday. Took some ibuprofen again, it helps my hip but really irritates my stomach.

Diane Sue, sorry about the allergies and lack of sleep. maybe take a couple of rest days? I always thought tabata was high impact cardio. I wouldn't mind trying it with a weight workout.

Carolyn, that is a good workout. Are you doing the July rotation?

Valerie, what type of fencing do you have around the garden? I can see how he would get in, and not be able to get out again.

Lori, that is sad about Madeline. I feel for you and her family. Such a hard decision to make. My friend was not awake/aware and her husband and kids had to make the decision. I hope you are able to get there again. I did not do anything specific to my hip. It just starting aching. I had this before, but it went away when I lost all the weight when I had the digestion issues. I guess that tells me something right?

Hi to Judy!

Take care,

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Just Step 25 minutes, heart rate average 136, max 159, 161 calories, met 5.8, 2,183 steps. I followed this with Ice Low Impact sweat workout 2 skipping the warm up , 22 minutes, heart rate average 128, max 159, met 5.9, 144 calories, 1,385 steps. Total time was 47 minutes, 305 calories. I have to run. I have my appointment for the thyroid ultrasound this morning.

Deb, I understand the stomach issues with ibuprophen. I try to use tumeric ,but I don't really see it being that effective when there is a lot of pain.

My appointment wasn't as long as I expected today. It was right in and out. I had grandchildren here this afternoon. I finally got the colonoscopy rescheduled and when I went to right it in my calendar I realized I am getting it on my birthday. This ought to make for a fun day! Then I prepaid for my special prep meal package which they are sending with directions. I laughed when I looked at my bank account and it says gourmet meal prep. Too funny! I got both the ultra sound for the thyroid and the dexa scan this morning.

Lori, that is a tough decision. I am terribly sorry. I remember when you got the battle ropes. I have looked at them off and on over the years, but have so many pieces of equipment. I only need stuff that I use quite a bit. I never use my sling shot apparatus. I occasionally use my bosu, since there are not a lot of workouts that use one. I like doing the tabata weights workouts.

Deb there are other NSAID type drugs that are prescription and may work better. you don't need to take them as often, like once a day. but they have the same potential for upsetting your stomach but but you are not taking 2 tabs 4x a day like with advil. just a thought. don't know if you've tried anything else before and whether you could tolerate it.

the deer has not been back. the fence is heavy duty nylon netting zip tied to T posts that are 10 feet tall. it is a little "make shift" looking but we cannot make the area flat and it's hard to fence uneven land. 3 swing gates. the fence is held down by mulch in some sections, and we add wire grates to the fences so he can't crawl underneath. some sections have concrete blocks with netting along the front. we think he stuck a nose under and climbed up the landscape bricks. it worked getting in but harder to do to get out. some places he ran right thru spliced areas of fence. it is not possible to do it all in one piece of netting. it is quite large. inside land is terraced according to the way we had to do it. nothing is flat on our entire 5 acres so we adapted to the contours. we have no idea why he spent so much energy to get in and out since he never ate anything and there was nothing to attract him.

we hiked today 4 hours. lots of snow. I will try to find a link to glissading. its a way to descend steep snow slopes and a lot of fun. we got to do that today. I can't describe it you have to see it. you can get pretty wet but it's easier than trying to walk downhill.
this is the idea. you sit on your butt and slide downhill with an axe held to stop if needed. I'm pretty good at it. its important to do it safely of course and control your speed. the axe is to stop yourself if needed and to slow you down.

Lori I am sorry about Madeleine. Hospice people are known for their dedication to keeping patients comfortable and managing their pain so its not too much to bear. too bad she had to make that choice .

diane sue a colonoscopy on your birthday! Ugh. bad turn of events.

Last edited:
I didn’t get a workout in today so I guess it’s an unplanned rest day. Our internet and television have been out all day and just came back on. Comcast kept changing the time that they expected service to be restored. It has been a frustrating day.

Have a nice evening and I will check back tomorrow.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was Linda Woolridge’s newest bounce. Another where she showed only the preview and you needed to buy the download. The cost is only $3.09. Aussie price is $3.99. So worth either price. This newest was cardio and band sculpting. Her workouts are not easy and this was a tough one. It was over an hour and I loved it. She now has 7 Bounce workouts. I then did SB’s bounce that concentrates on the quads. Great total body workout this morning.

Thank you again for your support with Madeline. This is going to be very hard on me and my son. Madeline is “Nana B” to him and pretty much the only grandmother he has known.

Deb...I am so sorry about your hip. I am fortunate that ibuprofen does not upset my stomach. At least not yet. I hear you about weight. As much as I work out I have gained 5lbs in the last year. I really notice it in pictures if you can believe that. I think I look so large!! My clothes fit fine still so I know it is just the camera adding in.

Diane Sue...yes I can think of better things to do on my bday!!!! Funny about the charge for meal prep. Lol!! Love you are enjoying Kelly! I have decided to wait on additional streaming sites. I have a few at the moment and do not get to them regularly so makes sense to wait. Eventually, I will sign on to Leah Sarago but not until the Fall.

Carolyn...technology can really mess with you. So fustrating!

Valerie...yeah! No deer. Perhaps the problem has been fixed. Nice hike today!!!

Hi Everyone,

I've been walking every morning. I hope to return to regular workouts by next week. Thanks so much for the comments on our remodeling. I'll post more photos when we have the floor done.

Deb-I'm sorry about your hip. I hope it feels better soon. I've been using ice and heat on my low back and it seems to help.

Lori-I can only imagine how hard it will be for you and your son. I'm so sorry.

Carolyn-It's frustrating when the internet goes out. We've had some power issues here so I know how annoying that can be.

Diane Sue-It's good that you got your colonoscopy rescheduled but too bad that it's on your birthday. That is funny about the meal prep charge!

Valerie-Great hike today! The glissading looks like fun!

Judy

Glissading is absolutely the best!! it's mostly limited to late spring/ summer snow that has consolidated. if the snow is loose and not dense underneath, you end up just being a human snow plow. ...not good. I never could to do standing or "boot" glissades. once I am sitting I have good control and can even steer by leaning and levering things. might take you an hour to get up a slope and you can be back down in 60 seconds. You always need to be sure your run out is safe...no rocks, trees, or holes, and that you control your speed. for me its way easier than trying to plunge step or walk down steep snow. We were near Mt Baker today. all the Cascade volcanos have good spots for this. the snow has to be deep enough and cover enough area to be worth the effort, and slope has to be steep enough but not too steep.

Good morning,.

No workout yesterday. I did go to Agility class and it about killed me.

Diane Sue, I have never tried turmeric. I have read that it is good for inflammation, but I thought you would have to take it over some time to see any results. Hope all good results from your scans. Funny about the meal prep charge description! LOL. Maybe already asked, but what exactly is in that? Too bad that test is on your birthday, but at least you will be starving and ready for a dinner out to celebrate. :)

Valerie, it sounds like maybe you finally blocked all the entrances for the deer. No, have not thought about any prescription pills yet. I don't think I want to go that route unless I have to. That Glissading sounds like a great way to go down a hill! I can't seem to wrap my mind around doing in in July though. :).

Lori, great workouts!

Judy, nice active rest week. What will you be doing when you start back?

Carolyn, it is so frustrating when internet service is down. We forget how much we depend on it these days.

Take care,

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Tabata Barbell Dumbbells, 47 minutes, 233 calories, average heart rrate 100, max 142, met 4.5, 765 steps. I then did Coffey Fit Raw Stretch, 28 minutes, 62 calories. Total calories 295, 75 minutes. I have a lot to get done and have my grandson here today. I liked the Tabata's and next time some moves I may just use dumbbells where I want heavier or lighter.
Coffey Fit Raw Tabata Dumbbells
you can use either Barbell or dumbbells Kelly uses a bar throughout and a bench her weight was around 33 # I used 35. She does drop the weight down after some of the moves
This is 20 on 10 off 8 sets for each body part
Squats 35# barbell 4 sets with bar on shoulders, 4 sets from the floor
Bentover Rows 35# barbell 4 sets underhand, 4 sets overhand
bench press 35# barbell 4 sets standard and 4 sets wide
deadlifts (I like her form pointers) 8 sets I used 35# barbell for 5 rounds and 25# dumbbells for the last 3 rounds
upright row alternated with overhead press 35# barbell upright row dropped to 15# dumbbells for overhead press 8 sets
bicpes curls 35# barbell 8 sets Kelly drops the weight down near the end
Triceps skull crushers 35# barbell 8 sets (Kelly kept her bar at the lowered weight I think 25#)
bridges using the bench with barbell on hips I used 35# Kelly used the lower weight 8 sets

I will be back later to finish reading the posts.

I am always surprised how much internet loss interferes with my day. I sure spend a lot of time on it. you don't always realize how big a part of life it has become. I hardly turn on the TV anymore.
Deb there is a whole class of drugs called NSAIDs. non steroidal anti-inflammatories. advil and aleve are two OTC ones there are many stronger ones that are prescription strength. they have pretty much the same downsides that ibuprofen does. most are taken once or maybe twice a day where as with advil you need to repeat every few hours, so fewer times a day but they can cause stomach issues. I am like Lori they work great for me and never had problems. Your primary care would be the person to ask if this continues to bother you. my bursitis didn't last very long but it sure was unpleasant while it was present. I didn't think turmeric would have touched it but would not hurt to try.

we've glissaded many times, but this was the first this year. there is a good snow pack this year so we will have more chances. the first person down sets a path, and the next person gets a better ride, so we alternate. I hit a chunk of buried ice once at high speed and cracked my tail bone. it knocked me out for a few seconds. I took two advil and kept going. that was a long walk back to the car! it was sore for weeks. it is unusual to hit anything. it's very hard on fabric of your pants. you also get wet

no deer today either. I think we have it fixed.

we needed to take truck in for service today, so did a 26 mile road ride while waiting for it. 2 hrs 15 min.

Last edited:
Today I did Intensity the step only premix. That was 37 minutes and 253 calories burned. My average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 150. After that I did Element Beginner Yoga with Alanna Zabel, the strength flow, for 22 minutes and 45 calories.

Deb, that’s too bad that you had such pain at the agility class. You could start adding turmeric to some foods or beverages to see if it helps at all. I am cautious with ibuprofen too. It doesn’t make my stomach ache, but I know it can cause problems.

Lori, nice job with the bounce workouts. Yes, technology can be very frustrating. Small things kept coming up like reading the morning paper and checking various things online, etc., that I wasn’t able to do throughout the day.

Valerie, the glissanding looks very interesting. I’m glad that you got to do it.

Judy, taking a break from your regular exercise is smart when your back is bothering you.

Diane Sue, good that you were able to reschedule the colonoscopy. I guess that will be your birthday present to yourself!

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Getting ready to leave again in a few minutes. This has been an extremely busy week. I think Saturday may be sort of a break. I am hosting family brunch Sunday and Monday is the arthritis center appointment. I will have to leave pretty early for that one as it is not close to my house. I got the gourmet meal prep today and looked over it's contents and the instructions. I guess the day before I start the prep I am to eat a low fiber diet and they give a list of do and don't eat foods. Then they have the schedule mapped out for when I have the procedure. I will have to get up at 2:30 am to take the final dose of of the Polyethylene Glycol 3350 mixed in liquid and a senna tablet and consume it within 10 minutes. They put in some individual drink mix packets to go in the 20 oz of water that I put the powder in. The meals are scheduled and there is an oatmeal cup, a fettucini alfredo meal, a broth packet, couple of oreo cookies, and a couple of chips ahoy chocolate chip cookies, and happy colon popped bbq chips. It says that you do not have to consume all of the foods in the box. They are there to provide comfort and the prep liquids and senna tablets are a must and timing is a must that is spread out so you are not so uncomfortable. Funny it came in my mail box and is a pretty blue box saying Happy Colon Foods by Gourmet Prep with my name on it. They have all of my times written in the book to go with my specific schedule.
Sorry I am not responding. I have to leave. I was late yesterday,

Good morning,

No workout. Taking ibuprofen and icing. My brother and SIL's 50th anniversary party tonight, and I want to be able to bet there with minimal pain.

Diane Sue, that KCM sounds like a fun workout. That prep sounds pretty complicated. As long as it does the job, results being what the horrible drink the night before the procedure does.

Valerie, I think I will keep doing the OTC stuff for now. A couple more days of it with icing and see if it works. If not, I will probably have to go in to see my PCP. Nice that you are getting good enough snow etc to have some fun glissading. Good that the deer is gone. Doing a ride while the truck is being fixed was a great use of some down time.

Carolyn, You are doing a great job with adding on those yoga workouts. I have been trying to limit my time "on line" to a couple times a day. I know how easy it is to get involved with looking up things etc, and before you know it, an hour or two has gone by.

Hi to Lori & Judy,

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a 2 mile walk and Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga for Back Pain. My back feels a little better. I may try a short upper body workout later today then maybe I can go back to lower body work next week.

Deb-I'm so sorry that you are still in pain. I hope the ibuprofen and icing helps. It sounds like a good idea to see your doctor if it doesn't.
I'm not sure what I'l be doing. I wanted to do a week or 2 of Cathe's July rotation. Since my low back has been bothering me, I might have to modify that plan. I want to get back to the KCM Raw workouts too, but I'll have to be careful. I think the kettlebell work might have triggered my back issue so I'm going to avoid that for a while.

Diane Sue-That KCM workout does sound like a good one. I may try it next week.

Carolyn-Great job with the Intensity premix and yoga!

Valerie-Great ride! You are getting some nice long workouts this summer!

Hi to Lori!

Judy

Valerie, that ts good the fawn has not come back. I remember pictures from when you had worked at terracing your area with rock or something. The glissading looks fun, but the hitting an ice bump sounds painful.

Deb, I hope your pain gets better. Is the icing helping at all? Have you tried heat? I dont remember hearing you had to take tumeric regularly for benefits. I have done so though. The colon kit doesnt look terribly complicated since it is all mapped out. It had a question and answer page in the brochure that said you could go to work with this I was kind of wondering how that could be though. Just thinking about the 20 oz of water with the powder and the senna makes me think not. I guess I will see. I have been turning my computer off before I leave in the evenings so that I am not tempted to get online before going to bed. I am not getting enough sleep as it is.

Carolyn, I have found if I get on the computer too long at a time it makes my neck and shoulders start hurting. Limiting it helps. So, I get to spend my birthday morning with my daughter who will be going with me. I was glad to get it rescheduled though. Before that they had told me they couldnt do it till October. I just want it all out of the way. Nice work on getting the yoga in.

Judy, it is anazing how quickly we can injure ourselves and how long it takes to recover. I hope your upper body workout goes well today.

Today's workout was Coffey Fit Raw Kettlebell Kickbox Fusion, 32 minutes (27 actual), heart rate average 125, max 157, 204 calories, 1,667 steps. I followed this with Coffey Fit Raw Home Gym Intervals #1 , 29 minutes, 190 calories, heart rate average 126, max 152, 190 calories, 1,718 steps. I used the spin bike for this today. I thought about doing it from my tablet and using the tread climber. Maybe next time. I finished off with a Sarah Beth youtube yoga 15 minute post workout cooldown, 33 calories. Total time was 76 minutes, 427 calories burned.
Kettlebell Kickbox Fusion Kelly used 20# kettlebell, 15# dumbbells, and 3# dumbbells for kickboxing
2 rounds each group of moves I adjusted the weights so not all were 15's for me after yesterdays weight workout
side to side squats with curls 12#dbs
boxing 3# dbs
kettlebell double hand swings 20#
repeat
deadlift/row/high pull 12# dbs
boxing upper cut switch feet 3# dbs
alternating kettlebell swings 20#
repeat
dumbbell kickbacks lunge back 12# dbs
boxing hooks high hook low 3# dbs
figure 8's 20# kettlebell
repeat
push ups
sit up punches and hooks 3# dbs
2 rnds

Deb, if you have a heating pad you could try it too. some things respond to heat, other things to ice.
Snow is not falling in the mountains this late but it snowed thru March. all the snow from last winter and spring builds up. doesn't go away instantly. it is "usual" to be walking through patchy or even solid snow once you are at 3000-4000 feet. in general the higher you go the more snow, until you get to elevations where snow fields are always there. Hiking trails here usually mostly snow free by august but you can always go higher to get to snow. Glissading does not work at all when the snow is fresh and new. you sink in and can't slide anywhere. it has to "settle" and compress to firmness, and then it will support someone. glissading is mostly limited to spring and summer. it's just an efficient fairly safe way to get down steep snow. also great fun.

Oh I am someone who spends too much time reading and looking things up. it is almost an addiction.

In another thought, has anyone else watched The Handmaids Tale? we watched season one a year ago and just re-watched it this month and are part way thru season 2. Wow. it is excellent. also on Hulu... The Looming Tower. this is also excellent. I highly recommend both. it's so hard to talk about shows and movies because everyones' access is so different. we were watching a series called Mercy Street about the civil war. nice idea but badly executed. lots of good people but the dialogue and characters are simplistic and tedious and not getting better. only lasted for 2 seasons and we are quitting after one.

Diane sue good luck with the procedure. no question the prep is the worst part. that is an interesting approach. somehow "Happy Colon Foods" sounds like they were trying to be funny. do you expect to be up and awake after the 2:30m am "feeding"? I think it would depend greatly on what kind of job you have. there was no way I'd have been able to be at work during my prep. I was in the bathroom every few minutes for hours. the clear liquid day made me feel like a limp noodle.

Last edited:
This morning I did ICE Chiseled Lower Body for 47 minutes and 320 calories burned. Average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 152. I had a hair appointment this morning then stopped at the grocery store on the way home. I was pretty hungry by that time and I had to hurry through the store to avoid impulse buying. I try to avoid shopping when I’m hungry.

I don’t turn on my desk computer daily but I rely on my iPad for most things. It is so easy to pick it up to check something online quickly.

Deb, I hope that you are able to enjoy your brother’s anniversary party tonight. I am doing Cathe’s July rotation with some changes. I have a couple of short yoga workouts that I like to add on to my main workout. Some days I only want to do yoga and will do something a bit longer.

Judy, I’m glad that your back is feeling better. Gentle workouts are good sometimes.

Diane Sue, good job with Coffeyfit Raw and Sarah Beth yoga.

Hi to Valerie and Lori.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.