Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/10

Deb, I got the Ice lower body blast. I think I am going to try a long Mish mosh mix of it today. I have all of Cathe's dvd's except 3 Ice now and the abs compilation that I never bothered to purchase because the workouts are on my dvds. I really do want Rock out Knock out and the main reason I would purchase Metabolic or To the Mat is for the blizzard blasts and muscle meltdowns. There are lots of options with Ice which makes it nice.
It seems like you could use the Muscle meltdowns for 4 days, have a just cardio or break and so metabolic workout. Or do the metabolic workout with one of the Muscle meltdowns on the same day choosing the body part that seems to be worked the least in the metabolic workout.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
By the way, going to the pool and getting in the nice cool water felt so good. I came back with less soreness and feeling less tired. Go figure. Not that I am heading to the pool every morning.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention, Lori, I bought some of the cetaphil shampoo and used it once so far. thought it might be hard to find so put it on the amazonlist, but there it was on the shelf at Rite aid. seems fine, though I used it with the handheld. not letting anything run down my back for a while yet. itch is still there but less. wish this would be a clear cut "yes or no".

Deb, mine is a 7640/45. there were several printers that looked almost the same, reviews were all similar, no clear advantages I could see. I might use the wireless eventually but it won't fit on my desk regardless so easier to just plug it in and not worry.

diane sue yes it does seem like things tank in multiples. I always think groups of 3. the printer was living on borrowed time. it still worked but getting cartridges was becoming impossible. the last black one only lasted for about 2 pages. I decided that was the last cartridge I was buying, and when it was gone, I'd replace. so the decision was made, only the timing. and it tanked almost immediately. the toaster sparked and started toasting only one side. watching the sopranos, they had a similar white Cuisinart toaster, and that was around 2000. still waiting for a third equipment failure.

I'm enjoying the series WAY more than the first time. DH too. we're using the closed captioning since only 1-2 seasons had subtitles. between the Italian expressions, abbreviations, and the jersey accent, we both missed a lot. so much better when you can understand what people are saying. I listen and only glance at the subtitles if there's a word that's not clear. something else that quietly has gone away are the looong curved fingernails the women all have . my god, they look predatory, like claws! so glad that trend moderated. Ugly!

we spent the rest of yesterday washing gear and making a list of replacements needed. nothing big unless DH decides to get a new pack.

I'm also a lousy swimmer... I used to think ( briefly) I'd like to try a triathalon but I'd drown. I can do all the different strokes but I don't float well, my legs sink like stones, plus places to practice are few. open water swims are in a whole different world than a nice clean heated pool . I still don't like it much even though it's easy on joints.

Humidity kills my hair too. I looked like a brillo pad in florida and my hair isn't even that curly!

Hi everyone--

This morning I did ICE Bootcamp (approx. 45 min.). I think this is only the second time I have done this one and I really liked it. I miscalculated when my subscription to Live was over, so I guess I have another month before it ends. The renewal date snuck up on me.

Deb, we are off to Jacob's Pillow again tomorrow to see a troupe from Chicago called Hubbard Street. We have seen them perform before and always enjoyed their program. Then we have some weeks before the last two performances in August at the beginning and end of the month.

Valerie, it sounds like a lot of planning for your backpacking. I have enough trouble just packing for a short trip! We enjoyed the Sopranos a lot when it was on HBO. I don't remember having difficulty with understanding the dialogue, but I can understand not enjoying something if you can't decipher the dialogue. I tried watching the first episode of The Tunnel on PBS recently and it was just a lot of mumbling to me, so I gave up.

Diane Sue, I spent summers in my youth at one lake or another in Minneapolis, and yes, it was always a pleasurable respite from the heat and humidity. I'm a good swimmer in lakes or pools and Kim cannot believe how buoyant I am. I don't even have to tread water most of the time. I just bob and float peacefully. On the other hand, I cannot deal with the ocean unless Kim takes me in with him. He likes to bodysurf, but I just get pounded by the waves. I think my myopia contributes to my problem with the ocean--I get out there and it's a big blur.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Today I did Ice Lower Body Blast basic premix #6 which is 95 minutes, warm up, main routine, blizzard blast, muscle meltdown, shoulders, core #2, and stretch. I burned 560 calories, I was hoping for a bit more since I used heavier weights throughout and the workout manager has 828 calories listed. I did not expect that much though. I can be working what feels really hard and it always has my metabolic rate at 5.5 or 6 . Rarely more than that. I also did 19 minutes of the 36 of TRX tv flow and mobility. This was 46 calories. I had to mess with my computer a bit to get the dvd to work. It is one I had purchased the download to and made a copy. Windows media would not play it so I had to go back through Real Player. I forgot how much harder down dog and up dog is with feet suspended :0 I also found that when my 2 year old grandson had a nap here the other day and ransacked the workout room he had done more than I thought in that short amount of time. He had my lap top out and my dvds and key board. I found Cathe's Intensity shoved up and over the drawer for the dvds in the laptop. It has some nice scratches across it so I will check it out tomorrow and hopefully it all plays well.
liked Lower Body Blast. I did go a few pounds heavier on the weights during the main workout. I only went heavier on a couple of moves on the blizzard blast though. I also used the rebounder for a couple of moves like the snow angels. There is the no jumping jacks option. I don't know if that includes the moves that include jacks with the other moves. This mix gave me a chance to check out everything.

Valerie, I use wifi with my Envy. I have times where it doesn't work but most of the time it does. I do not have to keep resetting the internet though. Funny, I did at our older home and it was close to where we had our computers. Here I have it upstairs on top of our small refrigerator. I keep it full of water bottles so I do not have to make a trip downstairs when I am working out. The refrigerator, not the Envy printer :p Anyway, sometimes I have to turn it off and restart my computer to get it to connect. That gets a bit annoying because I am running up and down the stairs to see if it worked. I just do not have a place to set it up downstairs in the area where we use our laptops. Then again I was worried about my youngest grandson messing with it if I bought it downstairs and now he goes up and down stairs. If fact I found my 8 year old granddaughter making copies of coloring work sheets one day and I had to tell her to ask as I did not want to have to run out and get more paper and particularly ink. We have tons of color books and workbooks. I guess she just wanted her and the 5 year old to have the same thing. Anyway, after that the 5 year old was trying to print out stuff with the one button coloring pages and I had to put a stop to it.

Lynda, I wish I was good at swimming. I tend to panic when I cannot stand in the water. The waves in the ocean always frightened me when I would venture out deeper and a huge wave would knock me over. We went on a snorkeling trip in Mexico once and the furthest I got was on a rock in the water and stuck my face in the water with the mask on. My husband loved it. He used to surf in California and spent a lot of time at the beach.

went mt biking this morning, 2 hrs 15 minutes. kind of a medium ride. DH has become so much better rider than I am ....or will be able to. I am awful on narrow trails and tight turns. one of the hardest things for me is to get back on and ride when I am facing uphill. on a narrow trail I can't do it and have to walk to a flatter spot. mostly, I did OK. riding the same trail helps a lot. a new route slows me down until I do it a few times.

Lynda, it isn't as hard as packing for a trip since we wear the same thing everyday and usually sleep in it too, adding and subtracting layers depending on temp and weather. no fashion involved. but batteries die, things leak and outdate. we go thru everything. nothing more frustrating than realizing you forgot your headlamp as darkness comes on. (yes, I forgot my headlamp this time!) DH's lighter leaked and was completely dry. One short trip usually makes clear what needs to be refilled, replaced,or skipped. If you don't have it with you, you will not have it. we both carry basic things so if one fails, we have back up. like headlamps and lighters. I made some dinners late last fall ( shrinkwrapped) and then we didn't use them. they were Ok except for the almonds, bagged separately, that were "off". so I replaced the nuts and the other dinners will be fine. same with some granola, except the nuts in it were fine. doesn't always make sense.

diane sue I don't like water sports, water over my head, or waves. most of my swimming has been in pools and even there I have to paddle furiously to stay afloat. I don't even like being on boats. I do it sometimes, but nervously. I've snorkeled some.... mostly pretty shallow. I get motion sick on boats easily too. tried to do the intermediate thing called snuba where you dive and breath thru a hose but I could not get my ears to equalize and so was limited to about 10 feet deep.

Good evening ladies,

Yesterday was SB Upper Body and at lunch we did a Jessica Smith workout. This morning was Live Hooked on legs. No workout at lunch or when I got home.

Lynda...been a while since I have done Ice Bootcamp. I think I liked the Live one better. One of the reasons we thought a puppy would be best was it will be small and hopefully not to intimidating for Nilla. Well hopefully Kim will have the Tech guy come over before your subscription ends. Perhaps he can get it going.

Deb...the puppies will be ready for us to have I think late September. It will be here before we know it! What is a crate fan? A box fan?

Diane Sue...yes I agree aboit the On Demand workout blender. I had a multidisc dvd player and could not be bothered with the set up to play selected chapters. Too time consuming for me. I really liked the old Workout Blender. It always worked great for me. A nice pool can work wonders. :)

Valerie...good hike and ride. Your tent sounds perfect! I know exactly what you mean about climbing over eachother. That is awesome you were able to find the Shampoo. Was no where to be found around here. Try it for a couple of days. At least your itching is a little less. I am extremely sensitive to motion sickness. I take a prescription to fly due to my motion sickness. forget any kind of amusement rides. Not happening. The older my son gets the more and more he suffers from motion sickness. He blames me. :)

Hi to Judy, Josie and Caitlin!

No plans for the weekend. Just enjoying this upcoming hot weekend. We may go to the Town beach to cool off a bit.

Valerie, it sounds like you have it down for having things ready for a long hike. It kind of reminds me how we had our fifth wheel ready and extra things just I case we were stranded somewhere or there were problems for back up. We don't do that anymore but dh would like to get another travel vehicle so we could relax and take our walks etc.. We rented a yacht and went out in the gulf once. It was supposed to be a romantic little trip and the guy that ran it had a special lunch with Champaign for us. It was nice at first and you could see the dolphins in the water. I got motion sickness really bad . I had to lay out on the deck and was more relieved to get back to land. Now after that I never wanted to go on a cruise. I purchased a new shampoo and conditioner today after researching products without additives. There was a small list that was safe and did not usually cause allergic reactions. It was sold at Sprouts. Hugo Naturals. I got the one for curly and frizzy hair. I will be trying it tomorrow. No, parabens, sulfates, copolymers, and a whole list of other stuff. I think if anything burns, stings, itches or causes any reaction it should probably not be used because the body is telling you something. My daughter says that about skin products that cause tingling etc.. It is the body saying NO.

Lorie, I guess we had the same experience with the multi disc players. It will be fun seeing what puppy that you get. At least you have some time to prepare. It will be good for it being small and a puppy so Nilla can adjust and the pup will adjust. No amusement rides for me either. Even some of the kiddie rides make me ill. We took the older grandchildren to Six Flags in Texas and I spent most of my time waiting and sweating right along with my oldest grandson who refused to ride those rides.

Last edited:
the only time in my life I lost serious weight in a day was on a boat. 5 lbs gone. all water of course, over the side. Dramamine etc..... nothing works even slightly. If I can see the shoreline, I'm OK. on open ocean where no land is in sight, forget about it. I don't do that anymore. don't need to learn that lesson again. I learned it multiple times. feels like I lose balance, my sense of what is level, and as soon as I see land, it settles back down. not going to be a cruise person.....
Lori, it was in the baby products area. I ordinarily would not look there, but I saw it in that grouping on amazon, so at rite aid, I looked there first. better price thru AZ but easy and fast at Rite aid. I would not use anything that burns, stings or itches right out of the box, but this has been very hard to nail down. My hair really gets curly/frizzy from being under a helmet or hat. cycling is bad for that. I always have a flat iron, electric or butane powered, but I have one.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Metabolic Conditioning....(51 minutes, 301 calories)...a great total body workout! Also met my friend for lunch and we took a ride to Batavia NY to a Joanne's to get her the last 2 picture storage containers left in western NY.

Diane Sue, That's great that the pool helped your soreness....yes the Muscle Meltdowns are definitely a reason to get those last ICE DVD's. It sounds like your grandchildren are pretty industrious on their own and adventurous too! I was having to turn the Envy printer on and off to get it to reconnect too, but found out how to give it its own permanent IP address, which solved that problem. Will try to attach a document that tells how to do it....I never go in water over my head, ever. I also have to be able to stand up in any water.

Valerie, is your printer also a copier and scanner? We got the one with those features, (no fax). I really like the scanning capability. I hope you do not prove fate and you don't get that 3rd piece of failed equipment...:). LOL on your hair and a brillo pad...that is how mine feels when out in humidity..ugh....hate it. I can understand how you would need closed caption on some shows...it was like that with me with The Wire...I gave it up after a couple episodes.

Lynda, have fun at the performance today.

Lori, great workouts! Yes, your new puppy will be smaller than Nilla for about 2 weeks...:)...but maybe by then she will have gotten used to her/him. Puppies are a handful...Keegan was chasing Kelsey around ( she was 12 and really didn't want anything to do with him)..and he was about 7 months old at the time, and she slipped and got a torn ACL. Will Nilla want to play with a puppy or be like Kelsey? A crate fan is a small standing fan about 10 inches, battery operated, that you can stand up on the outside of a crate so the dogs get air flow...when they are somewhere with no AC, like a dog show, or in our case at our dog club. When I am walking the course, I put the dogs in a crate for a bit.

Hi to Josie & Caitlin,

HouseMax for me and agility class this morning,

Take care,

Diane Sue, I tried to upload a Word document that tells how to assign a static IP address to the printer so it does not have to be reset all the time but it would not upload here....if you send me an email, or PM your email address I can get it to you...

deb, yes scans, copies, and faxes. some special photo printing program too that I won't use. we didn't set up the fax.... very long time since we needed that. I have a separate fax machine I used to use almost daily, and if I had to fax, I'd probably use it.

one reason I have trouble getting on my bike going uphill is I have one of those rear carrier packs, the rectangular one on a rack over the rear wheel. the police officers who patrol on bikes usually have those too. anyway, I have to raise my leg too high to swing it over that pack. . It's funny how "one sided" you can get on a bike. I can only get on from the left side, like it was a horse. I'm completely awkward if I try to get on from the right. I should practice from that side, but never think of it.

oh yes the wire. we saw that a long time ago and sometimes it had subtitles, sometimes not. Not sure I'd go thru that one again. the sopranos had subtitles at the beginning, then not for a couple seasons. they're back in season 5. we used closed caption for the ones without. made a HUGE difference. all the food references where they don't use the whole word... like "cappagool" " or gabbagool" whatever that is. with subtitles it's easy to see , it's italicized, and you know it's food. or the side "girlfriends".... "gomare" or "cumare". even the subtitles spell it lots of ways. after I saw it in print a few times I can "hear" it now and know what they're talking about. "satin" turns out to be a car, a Saturn. I hear most of the dialogue now and just glance down if there's a word I don't know.

amusement rides were not a favorite for me. I remember the one where you line up against the inside of a round wheel. they spin it around so fast you stick to the sides. omg I do not know how I got thru that. once. never again.

rainy today, will do an indoor workout for sure.

My dear friend who lives in a condo very near mine gave me some Neosporin, and my boyfriend Frank is hiring the trucks. I am still writing down names in my notebook: Josie, Diane Sue. Deb, Nick, and I am so bad with names, and I know I lost some of my short term memory. Anyway, I cannot put an athletic shoe on now, and I looked up anemia on line. I am taking iron pills now.

Today I did Intensity with the bonus boot camp, 70 minutes, heart rate 125 avg. /152 max, 502 calories. I then did X Train Burn Sets Triceps since I do not have the Ice workout with them on it yet, 14 minutes, 65 calories, and I finished with X Train Core #1, 10 minutes, 40 calories. I always forget which of the two core workouts that I do not really like, this one was it. Total time today was 94 minutes, calories burned 607.
Burn Sets Triceps
3 sets triceps push ups
flat bench triceps extensions pair of dumbbells 15#x 10,10,13 TF
one arm kickback 17.5# 10, 10; dropped to 15# last set TF 13 reps
overhead extensions burn set with medium tubing (I used Beach Body b-lines 15# strength tubing)

Valerie, that is not a pleasant way to lose weight. I can ride in a car now but when I was a child I got terribly sick riding. When we would travel they always gave me Dramamine. I tired the Hugo Naturals shampoo and conditioner this morning. My hair is really nice and soft. I was a bit worried because usually when I put conditioner on it has that sleek smooth feeling and I did not notice that with this. This has no silicones in it and I would imagine that is why. My Envy has a scanner and copies. I don't think there is a fax. My husband did not think we needed one. We will see. When I worked on purchasing a house where my husband was going to start working when he came home from Afghanistan, I had to fax a lot of documents. I found our old brother copier/fax machine easier to use than our laser printer fax machine. We got rid of that when we moved this last time.

Deb, we have a Joanne's about 3 miles from here. I just never have went in there often. I had spent so much time hunting for yarn shades when I crocheted my grandson all of the Star Wars characters and after all of the spending on colors that did not work that I mail ordered and picked up from Hobby Lobby, I discovered Joanne's had a good selection. I needed it all in sport weight to keep the characters all the similar size. I had never thought of going there for yarn for some reason. I will message you my e-mail address. Thanks :) Yes my grandchildren are industrious. Next weekend we will be in our family weekend cabin stay and fun and there is a hot tub at the cabin. I will definitely take advantage. Funny thing is though, we had a hot tub for 4 years and it seemed I just spent most of the time with it keeping the cover looking nice and maintaining it. It was either too hot our or freezing cold and most of the time I felt I was wasting time sitting in it. The same with the whirlpool tub we had in one of our homes.

Lorie, I had sort of thought of the same thing that Deb mentioned with the dogs. When my husband brought Gertie home Mudd did not like having her wanting to play with her. Gertie was way too aggressive, Mudd was 7 and getting older. They fought for awhile. Mudd would grumble and growl saying this is enough. Gertie started physically leaving bites on Mudd. I had to work on training Gertie to stop. They could not go outside together for a long time. She would even chase Mudd up the stairs and take over Mudd's crate. I finally put up a pet gate and when I saw Mudd was having enough I would let her go upstairs and kept Gertie down. They finally got over it but, I think with Mudd it was more of a tolerance thing and she just usually stayed out of Gerties way. I felt sorry for her. They did have their times where they would share a pet bed and seem like they liked each other though and Mudd would play with Gertie a bit. In the end Gertie really missed her.

Caitlin, I am glad that you got some Neosporin. Maybe it would be better for you to find iron rich foods to eat than add iron supplements. Or just take a multivitamin with iron. You do not want to over dose iron. It can do a lot of harm. Maybe get some blood work done and have the iron levels checked first. There are places online that you can find that will do that or you canjust find a lab that does it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.