Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/10

Judy...I just saw you preordered the Fit Tower. I know you have the older one. Curious what interests you in the new one? I mentioned I would pass but now you got me wondering! Is it worth having? I will never use for weights as I gave my barbell away that is why I was thinking I would pass. Would not use to full potential.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, and really no nap...I tried. I did go to bed early and sleep well, until Kylee started puking, and I had to get up and clean her crate etc..ugh...It's dark and looks like rain....I sure hope so.

Judy, great workouts! I see that you are doing the KCM 2016 Muscle Up rotation....you will have to let us know how that goes. I guess there were issues with Prime Day yesterday on Amazon? I never understood what the deal with that was...I looked at some of the items, but nothing looked that fantastic. Nice that you worked with a greyhound rescue group. I didn't think about how they would be with cats, but now that you mention it, I can see that they might not do well with them.

Valerie, with your experiment, you can stop wearing the cotton bra for a few days, but continue to wash your hair outside of the tub and probably find out pretty quick which is working.

Lynda, how was the Clark? I agree with your thoughts on a greyhound for the farm....not a good farm dog. Now Max, he is definitely the right breed, and he has the right temperament for doing all those "farm dog" duties. Yes, same disputes with the dog club...the new president sort of got into a power trip, and if anyone disagrees or tries to say something opposed to what she wants to do, she goes into a hissy fit...she resigned after the board meeting Monday night...so now we have no president...and no good candidates out there that would want to do it. Good that Kim has a regular Derm that he likes, yes they are so hard to get into for an appt...even if you tell them you have a strange looking growth...it's "well we can see you in 3 months"...huh???

Lori, yes, puppies are wonderful! a lot of work, but surely worth it. Wow, prepping for that October conference in July...I bet the time until it starts flies by. What names have you chosen? I forgot...are you getting a boy or girl? Boys are definitely easier to house train. Not sure about the DVD's that come with the Tower....the first one sounds really basic...but like you said, I would like to see clips first. Definitely not ordering the new Tower..

Diane Sue, that KCM is a great workout, I need to remember that premix. I also used to do the "weights only" premix from that one. Were the tabatas easily modified? Now that you mention it, I should probably stop taking calcium while I am on the glucosamine etc.. We have a Corner Bakery and they do have good salads. Almost the same as Panera...do you have a Panera near you? That is too bad that the restaurant was closed after an hour ride to get there...but at least you got a nice ride. Having a daughter as a Dermatologist is pretty convenient...sort of like a dentist for a husband..LOL....I think the Meltdown shoulder are different exercises on each one...

Hi to Judy, Josie & Caitlin,

The plan for today is to meet my cousin at the track around 8:00...but not sure if I want to go, and get caught in a thunderstorm.

Take care,

Judy, where did you see a pre-order for the Tower? see the quote below from the other forum..

..."The Pre-Sale for the Fit Tower™ is not being handled by us. On July 18th we will announce more information and provide pre-sale links, but all of the information for the Fit Tower™ pre-sale will be available in one place on a separate dedicated website, not on our site."...

Judy...I just saw you preordered the Fit Tower. I know you have the older one. Curious what interests you in the new one? I mentioned I would pass but now you got me wondering! Is it worth having? I will never use for weights as I gave my barbell away that is why I was thinking I would pass. Would not use to full potential.

Lori-I bought the older one used and it didn't come with the barbell clips so I haven't been able to use it for anything but barre and the pull ups that Cathe does in STS. We even tried to find barbell clips that would work with it but couldn't. I love it for barre and have been happy with it but I think I can get more use out of the new one if I can use it with barbell. It sounds like the new one is sturdier and easier to take apart. I like the idea of having the workouts specific for the tower too, but you don't need the new tower for that. If you aren't going to use it for weights then you might not need the new one.

Judy, where did you see a pre-order for the Tower? see the quote below from the other forum..

..."The Pre-Sale for the Fit Tower™ is not being handled by us. On July 18th we will announce more information and provide pre-sale links, but all of the information for the Fit Tower™ pre-sale will be available in one place on a separate dedicated website, not on our site."...

Deb-someone posted the link to the Fit Tower site in this thread:

http://cathe.com/forum/threads/coming-soon-–-new-fit-tower™-home-workout-system.304091/page-5

http://fittower.com/shop/fit-tower-workout-system/

Using the discount code "Cathe10" the order total was $179.96.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a 1 hour indoor ride and 1 segment of Core Max.

Deb-I'm going to try to combine the KCM rotation with Body Beast. It shouldn't be too hard since the KCM workouts are only 30 minutes and most of the BB workouts are under 50 minutes. I looked at Amazon yesterday but didn't really see any remarkable deals. I remember last year that Prime Day wasn't that great so I wasn't expecting too much this year.

Diane Sue- I haven't done Beast cardio but after reading some reviews of it, I think I will sub a KCM workout for it. It sounds a little too high impact for me.

Valerie & Lynda-I've been fortunate not to have to wait long to get into my dermatologist's office. There is a long wait once you are in the office and it is always packed. That reminds me, I need to schedule my annual skin cancer screening soon.

Josie-I hope everything is going well for you and your family.

Hi to Caitlin!

Judy

Deb, for the cardio on Shape up I did some of it as is but then on parts like jumping on and off the step , I hopped on and stepped off.. The move straddling the step with the jump heel clicks I did jumping forward and back straddling and this really seemed somewhat harder as my thighs were screaming by the end of that tabata. We do have two Panerai bakeries not far. I meet one of my friends there occaisionally. They have excellent food. My husband does not care for that sort of place though so I go with someone else. When our husbands were both in Afghanistan my daughter and I would go to a place called Cool Greens a lot. It is a bit more of a trendy upscale place where you can build your own salad, have it in wraps, get one off the menu , and there was soup. They also had a flat bread pizza that was different with goat cheese etc. I loved the ice tea choices. I would get jasmine or peach green tea.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

The Derm I've used before suddenly retired a few months ago. the group was bought by a huge company and I'm guessing they gave early retirement incentives for some of the more experienced people. you can usually get in sooner if a more serious sudden problem, but this is not anything critical. I'm on the call list for cancellations so will probably get a chance to go sooner. I actually made two appts with different groups. both were into September. I think I will have it figured out by then, and if they can tell me something I need to know, I'll keep one and cancel the other. I would like to get established with someone new. but we usually travel a lot in September too, making it less likely I'll be around for a non essential appt. If I get itchier again or it turns out unclear, at least I have an appt.

major shopping day yesterday, bought a new printer... an HP. DH & I set it up instead of me doing a workout. I managed to get a paper jam right off, so DH fixed it. turns out I didn't have the paper tray in the right position. trash is full today, a toaster and the printer died this week. can't complain, both were close to 20 years old.

I never would have thought Dobermans had the right disposition for cats, but our guy was fine. we'd had him for years. after the 4th one year, a cat started hanging out in our yard and we adopted her. dog was just fine with it. He was always a pretty mellow dog and I trained him well. dog training classes help socialize them.
I always thought greyhounds were lap dogs and sort of fragile under cold and wet conditions. not sure where I got that idea. there were a lot of greyhounds in the Portland area because they have dog racing there.

we have the first fit tower and still use it. DH keeps a barbell parked there to keep it off the floor. I haven't used it much since STS, usually use dumbbells. we slide our weight bench under it so it doesn't take up a much room. I'm thinking of repeating STS late this fall . I'm not interested in a new tower, and probably have reached my max on DVD's. a new spin DVD is about all I'd go for at this point. I don't do any of these often enough to get tired of them.

Nothing like the sound of a dog upchucking to wake you up!

I glanced at the Prime deals as this is our first year as members, but agree, didn't see anything that I needed. I need to have lunch at Panera some time. I've never been there even thought there are several I pass by often.

ETA another non-shower hair wash. I'm wearing a regular nylon stretchy bra today as we are going on a short backpack and cotton is a serious negative. I am almost not itching ... I'd say it is decreased by at least 75%. has to be something in a hair product.

If I had a chronic derm problem, I'd have gotten someone else as soon as mine retired. IMO they will fit you in sooner if you have a history at the office and they know how much time to book you for. DH gets an annual skin check too since his sister had melanoma. long time ago, she is doing fine but they all have lots of moles and spots to keep an eye on. all that warm california sun as kids.

Last edited:
Today I did Kelly Coffey Cardio Kick Step boxing total workout horizontal and vertical step with the kneeling core which I don't think I will do again. Too uncomfortable kneeling on one knee for that long. I ended up standing in a lunge position doing the punches and twists with the 3# weights. 71 minutes, 418 calories. My heart rate monitor really gave low readings the last couple of days. My average heart rate was 113 . I then did Ice Low Impact Sweat workout 1, 28 minutes, 162 calories average heart rate 112. I really felt I was working harder than this through both workouts and this was with the watch. I finished off with Amy Ross Rumble Dynamic stretch 14 minutes, 45 calories. Time was 1 hour 54 minutes and calories burned 625. I did a lot just to get in my goal calories for the day. I am probably burning more calories than that because I am consuming more calories than burned according to My Fitness Pal. My weight has dropped a little.

Hi everyone--

This morning I started Live Quick Fix Kickboxing + 100 Reps and had to give up after about 15 min. of hiccups in the streaming. I switched to ICE RS with 1 lb gloves. I think that does it for me on streaming. I may start again if Kim ever decides he has time to get his tech guy here for some troubleshooting.

Deb, that sounds like a real headache with your dog club. I can also understand why no one would want the responsibility of leadership if there are constant squabbles over whatever.

No new tower for me either. I hardly use the one I have except for occasional barre work where it's more comfortable than a chair to lean on. I will probably dismantle it, but I am waiting to see if Cathe has some new barre dvds to go with the new tower that I might like.

The Clark is a great museum, although I don't much like the addition put on a couple years ago that makes it look like a bomb shelter to me. But I love their exhibitions during the summer when they really work to bring in works impossible to see except by visiting several European cities. Last year it was Van Gogh and Whistler. This year they imported a lot of nudes from the Prado, but also from private collectors and other European museums. It was really a lesson in how different artists conceive of female physical beauty. Male nudes are not anywhere as changeable over time. I guess the Greeks and Romans finalized those proportions for all time. I did get to see many works I have never seen before--even in books--so it was a great couple of hours.

I didn't even look at the Prime deals, although they were making fun of some of them on Morning Joe. Anyone in the market for a gold grille for your teeth? Or, how about a full length beekeeper suit? Hate to miss out on those.

HHH today and tomorrow. BBQ some chicken tonight and maybe the first corn on the cob of the season. Love summer!

Valerie, it seems things like to quit in groups. Our 60 inch television that is only 4 years old suddenly turns off. We have tried all kinds of stuff but it doesn't make much difference. One time I unplugged it and waited a bit and then we turned it back on and it was fine. Yesterday nothing worked but waiting awhile and then we were able to turn it back on. I hope it doesn't quit completely. I love my HP Envy printer. It is lightweight, smaller than others we have had, and even came with a carry bag.

Lynda, I almost forgot about the Prime deals till late in the day. I glanced and it looked like the stuff they keep sending me emails suggesting I might like to buy them. I figure it is probably a way to clear out their unwanted inventory. All of the Paleo sites that I get email from were pushing some cooker that is a pressure cooker, slow cooker, and steamer all in one. I think they get some credit if you use them when you buy. They did this for the same item at Christmas time. Being able view the actual artwork would be really interesting.

I forgot to mention that I saw that Amy Ross (Bento) is setting up a new page and is making new workouts around September. She will be selling downloads and downloads of her no longer available workouts. She is filming and selling her workouts herself. It is hot but I need to get outside and put some potting mix in some of my pots and add some mulch. I went to Home Depot to pick up some things. My roses are not blooming anymore. My hydrangea blooms turned green. I added some coffee grounds and I noticed today they are getting some pink on them again.

Good evening ladies!

This morning was SB Feel Good Cardio. Nice little workout. I followed up with one of her Hiit workouts. Was about 45 minutes. This was my only workout. By the time I drove home today wasn't feeling it. I was tired. Walked up and down the stairs so many times today for different reasons. Between the morning workout and those darn stairs I was done! We have no elevator to the copy room and 2 flights of stairs to get there.

Diane Sue...I have purchased quite a few of Cathe downloads. With the old workout blender you would use your downloads to create and customize your workout and save them to your computer. I have a ton that I made up a while back. I have not use this old workout blender in ages and not sure if it still works. The online one is great too and does the same thing but you can not save to your computer. I no longer subscribe to the On Demand, which you need for the online workout blender. I have most of her workouts so it was just overkill for me. I love KCM's Shape Up! I usually use heavier weights than called for in the ICE series. Thanks for the Amy Bento info!

Deb...we get the pick of the litter which is exciting. First choice would be female chocolate lab and we would name her Gigi after Bob's grandmother. If no female we would go with a male and we will name him Leo after my dad. We are so goofy. We would take black if no chocolate but we both agree we do not want another yellow lab. Would make us think too much of Chester. :(

Valerie...great that you are narrowing into you itching issue. I really believe it is something in the shampoo too. New printer and a new toaster in one week! Awesome.

Lynda...that stinks you have had so much trouble with your steaming. I completely understand the fustration. I think she will be producing more workouts using the Fit Tower. That is what I understand.

Judy...thanks for the info on the Fit Tower. Still leaning towards not ordering. But you never know with me. It is a better price than I thought I was going to be. When It comes to workouts I always change my mind! I quickly went on Amazon but there was nothing that stood out to me. Some at my work thought there were good deals. Guess it all depends what you are looking for.

Hi to Caitlin and Josie!

Have a great night!

Good morning,

Crappy weather.....very humid, no sun, and no rain...just dull....We are supposed to get some thunderstorms today....if only....

Judy, thanks for the link. I know I will not be buying the Tower itself, but wish they would show some clips of the workouts...I am kind of thinking maybe the 2nd and 3rd levels. Sometimes with the presale deal it is better to buy the package of DVD's then sell any you don;t want on EBay...It's good that you can get in your Derm quickly. I am not sure what the issue is with them....too few of them? I wonder why that is?

Diane Sue, I always get the same thing at Panera....that salad with chicken and strawberries...yum! That other restaurant sounds good too...I would like to build my own salad. Good job on the workouts and the weight loss! I don't know if I have ever done an Amy Bento workout...I know she is very popular and have read her name in a lot of forums.

Valerie, You bought the same printer I have! :). If you have an issue with it not getting the signal from the network, and you find you have to turn it off and back on to use it, let me know...I know how to fix that, (finally!). I also use the FitTower to keep my barbell loaded with 35 pounds off the floor. Then it is also easy to add or take weight away. I bought those quick clips that Cathe now uses and they are well worth it. It sounds like to identified the itch problem! I also found that once I went to a Derm, I could get in again in a normal time.

Lynda, I never saw that Live Kickboxing workout...I will have to look for it. Sorry the streaming is giving you such problems....I hope Kim can get his tech guy there soon...I think Cathe will be announcing new workouts at the upcoming road trip...and I am sure with the partnership she just did with those Tower mfgs, she will probably have a new barre workout of her own in the bunch. I hope she reads the forum and decides to do a DVD with Phat workouts. That would be great. I am really disappointed that I missed that bee keeper suit! :).

Lori, A new puppy! So exciting. When will they be born? With labs, you are sure to get a female, they usually have large litters. I don't think you are goofy at all....love that you thought to name them after your Dad or Bob's grandmother. No elevator to the copy room? mmm.. that seems strange. A good workout though...:).

Hi to Josie & Caitlin,

A workout, then maybe some HouseMax, or a trip to Walmart...(which I hate, but they have a crate fan that I am interested in getting...)

Take care,

I see that there are some postings here. you wonderful ladies. Well, I am moving in two weeks, and I am getting kind of nervous about it. I had a very nice dinner with an old friend called Bill, and we went to Outback Steakhouse. Of course, I told Frank about it, as both of us are honest with each other.

I have a bad cut on the back of my left foot, and my friend Bill told me iodine might help, so I am using it. Of course, cardio is out. and I should do some upper body with weights. I wish one of my kids would get married, and have a baby so I could be a grandmother. I have a beautiful photo of my daughter, but I don't have a scanner. I was wrapping up crystal and china last night, and my dear bf Frank told me to cushion the box.

Hi everyone--

This morning I did CUB (41:50).

Deb, very humid here as well. My hair hates it. The new season of Suits started last night, so I bet you can see season 5 now on Prime. Just guessing, but I think that's how it works. Yes, that beekeeper suit must have been a real bargain! Sorry we missed it.

Lori, puppies are wonderful. I hope you get a chocolate Gigi and she's not too trying for beldame Nilla.

Diane Sue, I think I have a kickboxing dvd by Amy Bento that was fun and I did for awhile. I will have to check. I think I read that she had some pretty difficult step workouts--in terms of choreography.

Judy, it sounds like you have a couple rotations going at the same time. The original tower from Cathe was 99 dollars along with the LIS, so the new tower sounds expensive to me.

Caitlin, use neosporin on that cut--much better than iodine for preventing infection and faster healing.

Hi to Valerie and Josie!

Today I did a quick workout. I have my grandson here and wanted to go out early to used our community pool. It was not too hot since we have a bit of cloud cover and actually had a short shower while in the pool. No one else was there, That is the advantage of a mostly elderly neighborhood and going early on a weekday. My workout was Ice Low Impact Sweat workout #1, 28 minutes, 180 calories followed by Muscle Meltdown Back, 22 minutes ( I added a couple of extra stretches) 91 calories. I love the giant sets on these. I got Ice lower body blast today. . My workout was 50 minutes and calories burned 271. I did get a bit of paddling around in the pool. I am a lousy swimmer. Paddle and float on my back is about it. I try to do a breast stroke and everything is off and my legs start to sink.
I need to get done here because I have a paper folding bookmark project I want to do with my grandson.

Lorie, I think we all have those days where we just do not feel up to a workout. A rest once in awhile is good. It sounds like when they did the new workout manager that it was planned to sell the on demand program. I used to have a multi disc player that I could program through the chapters on different workouts. They only thing is it was so complicated and I never figured out how to save it once I was done, or if there was a way. I gave it up and decided it was easier to just pop in one disc at a time.

Deb, it is overcast and little sprinkles. We had a cloud go over and actually dump while we were in the pool today. It went on and the sun peaked out a bit then left. I would like a good rain. My plants get so wilted by the end of the day with all of the heat. Yesterday I went out and sprayed a little water over my roses to help yesterday.

Caitlin, I agree with putting some Neosporin or Bacitracin on your heel. I have a bad place on one of my heals where I backed into the brick fireplace vacuuming and it is taking quite a long time to heal. I where slip on shoes most of the day so it is only when I workout that I remember it is there. I was thinking I could do an Amy Ross barefoot kettlebell workout. There is really no jumping with those. But, I seem to be doing okay with enough padding in my shoes. That is probably why it is taking so long to heal though :)

Lynda, Amy does have some pretty challenging step workouts. The Advanced Step Challenges take a bit of time to get down. Once I get them they are fun. She has a tendency to do a lot of turns which sometimes leaves me going the wrong direction. I guess that is why they are called advanced challenges. I did find the challenge 4 to be a bit easier to learn than the others. 5 I have not done all of yet. I guess it is the only workout I have not done entirely. It had a lot of spins and turns and my knee hurt when I got it. I love her weight workouts. Her newer workouts right after she had the baby are a bit easier. Drop Set Strength is one that I really like. I never seemed to be able to get my heart rate up much trying to do Hip Hop Walk. I think I may have done it a few times after knee surgery. Body Box has premixes. It has some jumps though and getting down to pick up weights. The choreography was not too hard though. Do you have Rumble? I think that is one of the easier kickboxing workouts.

It is a HP Envy printer. I think there are several versions. it was about $100 at Costco. I looked at several I'm not using the wireless feature, will just plug it in. I read comments about having to reset all the time from reviews, and the plug is right here. .
Damn, I quit looking thru the Prime bargains too soon... a bee keeper suit and a gold grille? who could resist?

we are back from our very short backpack. we want to do more and longer trips. there is nothing like an actual trip to find out what you forgot, what you have too much of, and what needs replacing. a whole list of things, nothing complicated. DH's pack is big/ heavy and he tends to fill it up with "stuff" just because there is space. Might be time to downsize.
Our tent works great. we bought it late last season on sale and only used it once. very roomy and light for a 3 season backpacking tent. a MSR Hubba Hubba. it has 2 doors and 2 vestibules so two people don't have to climb over each other to get in and out. If you have ever backpacked, you'll know what I mean.
it's a steep muddy route but we went up and down without a problem. nice because it's only an hour each way although there is a good 1000 feet gain. someone had cleaned up some bad sections with a chain saw, so it went faster than a month ago. saw a load of mt goats but far away.

Deb absolutely right about the barbell. so clumsy to switch weights when it's on the floor, but simple when on the tower rack.

Good morning & Happy Friday!

Yesterday I did Live Metabolic Conditioning....another good one...5 stars! 42 minutes, 274 calories.

Caitlin, will you need to hire a big moving truck for your move? How far away is it again from where you are living now? I vote for the Neosporin as well...it heals wounds quickly and prevents infection.

Lynda, yes, hair & humidity...UGH! I have had my hair pulled back for days now...no sense flat ironing just to go outside and have it poof up. Thanks for thinking of me with the Prime/Suits info. ....I had gotten the first disc for season 5 from the library, and accidently stumbled on it when I was using Prime for something, so I watched the rest of the season free on Prime. I wish the show was on CBS or another regular TV station that does streaming. I will have to wait for season 6 to be over to watch it.

Diane Sue, that must have been pleasant, having the pool all to yourselves. I am also a lousy swimmer. Did you get Lower Body Blast, or the ICE lower body workout? I would like to figure out a rotation that uses the PHAt or other metabolic Live workouts with the Muscle Meltdowns from ICE...

Valerie, yes, there are different numbered models for the HP Envy...I have the 4500 I believe. I like the wireless option...my printer does not have to take up space near my computer desk...it's about 4 feet away on another stand. Once I found out how to keep it connected, its no problem any longer. Nice hike, now you have to get your DH (Michael?) to lessen his load somehow. That tent sounds great!

Hi to Josie, Judy & Lori,

A workout, ( not sure which at the moment) then meeting my friend for lunch,

What's everyone doing this weekend?

Take care,

Deb, I got the Ice lower body blast. I think I am going to try a long Mish mosh mix of it today. I have all of Cathe's dvd's except 3 Ice now and the abs compilation that I never bothered to purchase because the workouts are on my dvds. I really do want Rock out Knock out and the main reason I would purchase Metabolic or To the Mat is for the blizzard blasts and muscle meltdowns. There are lots of options with Ice which makes it nice.
It seems like you could use the Muscle meltdowns for 4 days, have a just cardio or break and so metabolic workout. Or do the metabolic workout with one of the Muscle meltdowns on the same day choosing the body part that seems to be worked the least in the metabolic workout.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.