Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/13

WW was not encouraging about dried fruit or fruit juices. too many calories too easily in a form that went down too quickly, and didn't "feel' like it was as many calories as it was. I liked Pom pomegranate juice but only a shot glass sized serving.
I took the day off yesterday. this morning we are going to ride the tree farm again. much colder and cloudier so gnats will be gone.

Lori I agree. I am so used to having year round snow available I never even think about how different that is to so many people.

My sister took her dog in to the vet for teeth cleaning. her dog ( g. shepherd) is 7-8 yo. they told her cleaning would be $400-$600. (I had no idea price was that high). imagine her surprise when the bill was $1700. 5 extractions. the dog eats mostly dry kibble and chew bones. I understand dogs are like people, some have good teeth, others not lucky. still, a shocker of a bill. she had some money set aside but had to put it on her credit card. I am surprised they didn't call her and warn her or get approval. I understand the vet could not tell for sure what they would find under anesthetic, but wow.
I used to brush my dogs teeth with a toothbrush. he was a well trained dog so it wasn't a battle. You all have dogs... except Judy and I. Carolyn not sure if you have pets. Is that what you would expect? She really doesn't have many clinic choices due to not being able to drive .

Today I did P90X2 warm up from PAP through the foam rolling, added a bit of jogging around the room and some hip bridges and supermans which my book I got for treating low back pain during exercise and athletics recommended along with a lot of the stuff from P90X2 warm up, 19 minutes, 61 calories, heart rate average 103, max 137. I then did Kelly Coffey Home Gym Intervals with the spin bike and a 10# dumbbell for the weight intervals. I did most of the spin standing because it is uncomfortable to sit very much. This was 39 minutes, 253 calories, met 5.9, hert rate average 124, max 156, 1,761 steps, I increased time a tiny bit on the cycling which was 5 miles, and 22 minutes of this time and the bike said 200 calories, but exercise equipment is not really accurate. I finished off with Sarah Beth yoga on youtube 23 minute morning workout, met 2.0, 51 calories. Total time 81 minutes, 365 calories.

Valerie, I would never have expected it to be that much for a dogs teeth. My granddaughter's wisdom teeth cost 1200 under anesthesia and with insurance with non-provider 900. After some of our previous conversations I have started using a wash cloth on Gertie's teeth along with extra dental bones and her chew things. I just added it to her morning nail filing routine. She seems to love me messing with her, as she just lays back and acts like she is going to sleep and enjoys it. The only time she doesn't enjoy is at the vets office. I guess it is who she trusts. I used to drink the Pom juice mixed with seltzer water.

Lori, I find that there are a lot of great workouts on Youtube. Maybe most are not quite as well in choreography and being fixed up and camera ready as dvds, but the workouts are good.

Judy, that is the way my sleep stages are. I finally took my goal sleep down to 7.5 hours just so once in awhile I might reach my goal. I had it at 8 for so long and that is a rare thing. I get those weeks where I am barely 6 hours average.

Valerie, we had Kylee's teeth done, she had a fractured tooth that caused an abscess, which meant it had to be extracted. The cleaning, extraction etc was $750.

Today I did WS3 Cardio Hit! which is a boxing style workout. The workout was 30 minutes , 178 calories burned, average heart rate 111, and maximum heart rate was 146.

Deb, I’m not using the tart cherry juice at all. I might try it if I find the concentrate. I actually like Valerie’s idea of using the dried ones in oatmeal.

Diane Sue, I recently discovered Ben Shatto’s website when I was researching exercises for my knee problem. His blog has some interesting information.

Valerie, no I don’t have pets for a variety of reasons. We had a couple of dogs when the children were little.

Lori, it sounds like a good plan to try other workouts. I hate to be bored by a rotation.

Hello to Judy.

Thanks deb. maybe this charge was not that out- of- line. I'm assuming there were more problems than expected once they had the dog asleep and could have a look- see. I have not had a dental procedure on a pet in a very long time. costs only go up. I feel they should have called and warned her more needed to be done than expected. there would be a general fee for the procedure/anesthesia, and then add-ons for each thing that needed to be done.

the dried cherries are pleasantly tart but are definitely sweetened. I just bought a bag today. maybe Montmorency are what we used to call "pie cherries"?

Last edited:
Carolyn, I spent quite a bit of time on Ben Shatto's website and purchased the over training book first, then purchased the one for low back pain, both in Kindle format. That way I can refer to them when I want with exercising. I have been reading the low back pain one off and on today.

On the Montmorency tart cherries, I did some searching to see if it made a difference which kind of cherries. It appears they all have the nutrients in them. Montmorency has slightly more than the sweet cherry varieties. One article said Bing cherries had the highest of the wanted ingredients. So I guess any of them are good. I tried to find sources that were not sellers of only Montmorency cherries. I looked at the pill tart cherry supplements in Sprouts and they are expensive. One article said you are not likely to find the tart cherries as just eating cherries. They are generally dried cherries or juices because of their tartness. I guess it would be kind of like eating sour crab apples over a sweet apple.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did KCK's Start Here ( the sculpting workout)...31 minutes, 118 calories. This was perfect.

Valerie, I hope your ride was "gnat free" yesterday. Yes, the vet did say that if there were other things they found, eg another extraction needed, it would be a higher price.

Diane Sue, good combo of workouts! You are very lucky that Gertie lets you handle her paws and teeth the way she does. Most dogs do not like that. I am supposed to do Keegan's teeth at least once a week with the washcloth, but I am bad about remembering. I should make it a daily thing like you do. I checked the actual calculations of sleep on my FitBit and you are right, the awake time is not included in the overall time slept reported. That made me feel better. I think I have mine set for 7 hours. I have only hit that once in all the time I have had the FitBit. Amazon has a really good price for a case of the Montmorency tart juice. There are 8 - 46 oz bottles in a case. I don't want to buy a case unless I find that drinking the 2 classes a day works for sleep.

Carolyn, the dried cherries sound like they would be good in oatmeal...not sure about if they would work for any of the sleep/inflammation properties though.

Hi to Lori & Judy,

Take care,

Good evening ladies,

I had to leave for an early morning meeting so was only able to get in a quick 25min LEKfit Bounce. That is all I had time for. Wanted to get something in. I used ankle weights and hand weights to get the most out of my time.

Judy...yes I thought the rotation looked good with a lot of variety.

Deb...good to hear your hip is feeling better. Great workout to ease into your workouts. Linda has a massive library on YouTube with a mixture of weights, bands and body weight workouts. It can get overwhelming looking for a workout!

Valerie...that is a crazy high bill with out warning!!! Teeth cleaning is so expensive. We are brushing GiGi’s teeth regularly and she gets dental treats. Hoping to avoid such high bills. We did good with Chester so hoping we can with her.

Diane Sue...yes I agree about youtube. Production quality is all over but as long as it is a great workout, makes no difference to me! Home Gym intervals is a dvd I have wanted but never purchased. If I found it cheap on ebay I mostlikely will grab it.

Caroyln...Cardio Hiit is a great workout.

Not sure what the workout will be. Thinking Cathe’s most recent Live from Thursday. But right now I am glued to the TV watching the Royal Wedding. I love all this!! Lol!

Deb, nice work getting a workout in yesterday. My back is slowly improving too. I am doing some foam rolling and stretching before bed at night. Just a few minutes. I agree that it would probably be a good idea to try the montmorency cherrt before buying a case. I read another article , study last night by a doctor that said bing sweet cherries worked better. He mentions sleep, but the main idea was to get the right cox inhibitors to help with infalmmation and pain, as things like ibuprophen cause holes in the gut lining and bleeding since the stop the cox t from protecting. Kind of interesting. Fresh cherries are best and yellow do not have much of the good stuff in them. Since they are seasonally available , frozen cherries work. I think I will be tired today as I got 5 hrs and 46 minutes of sleep last night. We are supposed to go package food packets for the needy this morning. This is celebrating my son in laws graduation and getting his masters.

Lori, I think home gym intervals is a great choice. You dont even have to have a piece of equipment to do it. I was thinking bouncing between the weight segments might be fun :)

This morning I did WS3 Steamline Sculpt, one of the 15 minute workouts. I wanted to warm up a bit before stretching. After that I did JS Gentle Yoga, the hips and knees flow. This was 22 minutes.

Deb, Start Here is a great workout. It’s just enough to get you going without being too much.

Lori, I watched the royal wedding too. It was a beautiful wedding ceremony. I didn’t expect to be so moved by it. The Cathe Live preview from Thursday looked good.

Diane Sue, I’m glad to know that other cherries work as well. I have some frozen ones that I eat occasionally. I’m glad that your hip is getting better.

Hello to Judy and Valerie. I need to run to Sprouts and The Fresh Market before the rain starts again. Have a nice day everyone.

I forgot to say we rode the tree farm again yesterday. about 2 hrs 15 min. the trails are open now so we don't have to stay on roads. they wait until the ground dries out . we still used mainly roads and gradually add in trails. if some trails get too chewed up( heavy horse traffic can do that) we can detour and get around OK using roads. we like it because its quiet most weekday mornings and it is a great outdoor Interval type workout.

My brother has another foot infection, really barely done with the last one but this was caught early enough so he will avoid hospital. it is his other foot, the one he already lost a toe on. he is on home IV antibiotics. I can't see how this will go well long term.

today we are getting stuff ready to leave tomorrow morning. I will be in touch here during our vacation.

I guess my main complaint was not the cost of the procedure for her dog, but that it was so unexpected. when they quote $400 to $600 you would be ready for a slight "cost over run" but to have it 4x higher totally is unnerving. maybe the dog is so unruly they could not get a look at all beforehand. that's great you are all able to do some preventive dental care for your pets. I used to feel like I was a crazy lady when I brushed my dogs teeth!.

This morning I did Kelly Coffey Body Shop upper only mix, 35 minutes, 154 calories, met 4.0, heart rate , 96 average, 131 max. I did some extra foam rolling and stretching as well. We went and filled bags with a mixture of vitamin powder,dehydrated veggies, soy, and rice to be sent to Haiti. A sort of assembly line of workers. I have my grandson coming this evening while my daughter and son in law go out for dinner to celebrate his graduation.

Carolyn, I just had this question about that being the only cherry that was good. It seems there are so many product bandwagons out there. I will add more cherries to my diet. Also I read that their are other fruits and also nuts that increase melatonin. I also read on Dr Axe that melatonin supplements should only be used occasionally and not as an everyday thing. I doubt food counts though. It is kind of funny that tart cherry is such an expensive supplement now. Just like Manuka honey. I bought some manuka honey throat lozenges once and wondered how they processed those into a hard candy type lozenge without killing off the nutrients in the honey. I think we are all best with whole foods for the most part. My trust meter is not always there when they start telling us what is the latest and greatest health trend. I am noticing Dr Axe is putting Ashwhaganda in many of his supplements. I keep wondering if one can get too much if they are using multiple supplements, plus that adaptogen has warning for those who have a thyroid condition or pregnant women. I am wary. I did purchase some dried unsweetened bing cherries, and whether or not they do anything, I like them :) I also thought about the ingredients in the Capraflex for Joints that I mentioned and wondered at taking a supplement with valerian in it as a daily routine. I did take them before for a couple of years.

Valerie, that is too bad that your brother is having problems with his other foot now. Yes, it has not been long since you had talked about him being in the hospital before. You would think that he would be more careful to avoid these things happening. I would have thought the vet could have given a better estimate beforehand. That was a huge surprise, I am sure. What if there was not enough money to pay for it? You would have though someone would have at least have given her the new amount before carrying the whole procedure through. It reminds me of going to get my knee surgery and checking in and they wanted 1400 dollars up front that was not expected. They gave it back to me 6 months later ! It was pull out the credit card or cancel the whole thing. I bet you are looking forward to going to your vacation home :)

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did Body Beast Bulk Chest and a short indoor ride. Today I did Travis Eliot Yin Yoga, Short & Sweet (30 minutes, on Youtube).

Deb-Nice job with "Start Here". I thought you would like it.

Valerie-I'm sorry about your brother's foot. It's good that he won't have to be in the hospital this time. I've been brushing our kitties teeth since they were kittens. I brush them at least 4-5 times a week and also use a gel to help with tartar.

Lori & Carolyn- I watched the royal wedding too and thought it was beautiful and very moving.

Diane Sue-Thanks for mentioning Ben Shatto's website and e-book for low back pain. I bought the kindle version today and am reading it now. I think it will be very helpful.

Have a great night!

Judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.