Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/13

We did our usual road ride 26 miles about 2 hours 15 min. really nice out and not busy.

I've read about cherry juice before. might have been the Peoples Pharmacy? One issue is getting cherry juice, and not grape juice with a tiny bit of cherry added. it is pretty caloric. I am thinking Costco has some sort of cherry juice but I never looked closely. I buy dried montmorency cherries to put into gorp with almonds and M&Ms. I've used the dried cherrries in oatmeal. have not tried juice.

another "bar" failure..Zing. tried peanut butter chocolate. flavor was OK but texture was like sawdust was mixed in. It has to be part of the protein content. Ugh. good flavor otherwise.

Last edited:
Valerie, I love beets and my mother would make them special just for me. I can roast a bunch and they are gone within two days. I can't eat that much salt so pickles and olives can only be an occasional treat. I have problems with dry mouth and too much salt does not work for me at all. I would be up all night drinking water and those dry mouth lozenges do very little for me. The dentist gave me the lozenges to try. I buy canned diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes for recipes. If I have some fresh around I may mix the two. I made my taco soup recipe (no tortillas) and used all diced fresh tomatoes with the required salsa. I use canned green chilis and sometimes add a bit of jalapeno because I like a bit of heat. Rain and heat with higher humidity seems to draw insects. I have had battles with gnats and fruit flies. I wash all of my fruit with some dish soap and dry it off which helps. Bananas tend to have larvae on it when you purchase it and they hatch.

Carolyn, that is a good idea using the rebounder for the cardio on Cardio Legs. I looked for Montmorency cherries and juice in Sprouts before and did not see it. I have read that about insomnia as well as joint pain and eating that type of cherry. I have used tart cherry juice before, but never really noticed a difference. They have cherry supplements. I have not tried that before. Those workouts with standing hamstring curls with the firewalker band bother my knee if I bend too far. I always wonder if it is a flexibility issue and I should work at it more or if I should leave it alone altogether. I did learn about the side planks when I kept trying to do some of the stuff in P90X2 and forcing my legs into some of the positions trying to stay up and raise a leg and it made my knee hurt terribly afterward. So, if it hurts doing it I leave it alone or go light on the move. Lateral moves can be more of a problem than straight forward moves. I even have more problems with wide stance deadlifts over regular close stance. I guess we just learn what our body mechanics can handle and what they cannot. I remember making a salad with arugula mixed with other greens using a recipe from the original P90X book and I liked it a lot. I think it was because of the balsamic dressing that was on it made the arugula taste good. It had beef strips on it.

Judy, Start Here is one of Kellys that I do not have. You have stayed with Body Beast for quite awhile now. Nice work. I should probably check again for that type of Tart Cherry. Sprouts keeps adding new stuff to their shelves. I was happy when I saw some local Oklahoma raw honey on the shelf. The last time I purchased bee pollen it was from California in the refrigerated case. I really have my doubts that it will do much for my allergies. I ordered local recently as those have popped up recently online. I was a bit appalled that it was in a flimsy baggie ( not even a heavier freezer type) I immediately poured it into a quart jar and put it in the refrigerator.

Good evening ladies. I was really tired this morning but did manage to get in three 10 min upper targets - one from BBS, Pop Sugar and SB. Total time was 30 mins / 135 cal. Quick but effective.

Yes the last few weeks have been very challenging to say the least. We will get thru this and will move on.

Terrible thunderstorms this afternoon/evening with a tornado watch. The thunder has been extremely violent. Been a while since we have had a storm like this. GiGi seems to be fine with it.

Diane Sue..before we went all digital we had a blue ray player that streamed. It was nice and very convenient. We still have it tucked in a closet. Still not ready to get rid of it yet. You never know when you may need one.

Deb...The 100 rep workouts are a great finisher. Over and done with in a few minutes and you feel it at the end. Glad your back and hip are easing up.

Valerie..we have gnats this time of year. If I am bit close to my eyes I swell up. I try my best for this not to happen. Great ride today.

Caroyln..nice job using the jumpsport. I do that for cardio at times. I usually can quickly come up with a move that works with the rebounder and similar to the workout. Not surprised you read it where you live. It was all over the news here and many places. I had friends and family calling me from all over concerned.

Judy...how many weeks are you into Body Beast? 2 or 3? Have you seen progress yet? My son loves it. I think he started a 2nd round.

Have a great night all!

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Diane Sue, I was thinking I may play that on my iPad instead of the TV so I can move it to where I can see her. Whenever I see fruit flies, I use an apple cider vinegar/dish soap trap. It's amazing how they are drawn to that. I just leave it on a window sill in the kitchen. http://everydayroots.com/how-to-get-rid-of-fruit-flies.

Valerie, I feel the same about canned vegetables. I can eat corn or even peas, but that's it. Never thought to use dried cherries in oatmeal, that sounds really good!

Carolyn, I read that same article. I tried that juice a couple years ago. I only did it in the evenings though, not both morning and evening. I didn;t see any difference in my sleeping. Also at the time I was concerned about all the sugar that was in it. I may try again, doing twice a day. The article I read said that it showed a difference after 2 weeks. I don't think I did it for that long. Goat cheese and walnuts are great add-ins to salad. I like anything with walnuts or pecans!

Judy, I know when I did the cherry juice, wherever I read it at the time was pretty adamant about it being that particular type of cherry and I had a hard time finding it. I'm sure it is easier now. I took melatonin last night, and I think it helped a bit. If only I didn;t have to get up to go to the bathroom so many times. :(.

Lori, that's great that Gigi is not bothered by thunder storms. What is the name of the restaurant that you work for again? I did not see anything here about it.

A doctor appointment this morning,

Take care,

Deb I get the dry cherries at Costco, the brand is Mariana. I switched to apples because weight watchers counted points for dried fruit. They are good in oatmeal with some toasted sliced almonds or walnuts. Or in gorp. I don’t like raisins much, use a few dried cherries instead. Too many calories except for hiking snack. WW was not great on fruit juices either, giving them points. a lot of calories that go down quickly and so they give it a point value.

That is a great idea for fruit flies. I will try that when they show up, as they surely will.
Carolyn yes goat cheese and walnuts. And beets. Yummy !! so good.

ETA we xc skied this morning. 2 hrs 35 min. probably the last one this year. there is still loads of snow up high, but we are not good enough skiers to ski steep slopes. this is a fairly high road, and we got to the end of it. snow was pretty chewed up besides. it is a lot of work. so much pollen and debris on the snow surface out skis do not slide even downhill. they turn almost black from the residue.

Last edited:
Lori, I am sure that you will be happy when things settle down at work. I always dread those storms like that. I had thinder wake me up last night. I ended up getting up to check the sun room for leaks and there were none and took Advil because I had slept on that hip and the pain was bad. Its much better this morning after movement and a few stretches.

Deb, thanks for the link. I am going to save it. I have done similar before using different ingredients. I bet the piece of fruit would help. I have done the cone thing and also one time wine cooler in the jar with plastic wrap over the yop with tiny holes in it. The b ipad is a good idea. They do have the montmorency cherry juice on Amazon as well as that type of cherry dried. You have to watch to make sure there is no added sugar though. I ordered some of the dried Montmorency cherries no sugar added just to try. You can get capsules as well, but I would rather the fruit or juice.

Another note on the tart cherry juice , one of the companies noted on Amazon that it may not be good for diabetics to take before bed?

Valerie, I love dried fruit and it really does have a lot of calories. I use dried cranberries or cherries pretty much daily. Any juice is a high concentration of sugar. I try to find no sugar added juices for my grandchildren and have noticed that the sugar grams were far above sugar added fruit juice drinks and products. Still I would think fruit sugar is the better alternative. Not good for calories though.

Hi Everyone,

Today I did the ab workout from Ultimate Yogi. It's 18 minutes long and challenging, but doable. I would say that it's similar to Cathe's Core Max. I liked it. I also did a segment from Barlates Barre Advanced and a 3o minute indoor interval ride. I'll be back to Body Beast tomorrow. I'm planning on doing it through the end of the month, then I will take an active rest week. I may do a Body Beast/STS combo rotation after that.

Deb-That's good that the melatonin helped a little. I ended up taking benadryl last night due to my allergies. I hate taking things like that but it helped both my allergy symptoms and with sleep. I still got up a few times but according to my fitbit I slept almost 8 hours last night, 2 hours more than I usually get.

Lori-I've been doing Body Beast for a little over 3 weeks. I am starting to see some results, mostly in my upper body. I like the Bulk workouts better than the Build ones.

Valerie-That's too bad about the Zing bars. I don't think I would like them either. Dried cherries in oatmeal sounds pretty good.

Diane Sue-I didn't get to Fresh Thyme the other day so I haven't gotten the cherry juice yet. I may get it this afternoon or tomorrow. It seems like they are always adding new products too.

Hi to Carolyn!

Judy

Hi Ladies,
I didn’t work out this morning. I decided to make this a rest day. Deb, thanks for the link to the fruit fly traps. I have used apple cider vinegar in a jar, something my daughter told me about, but the article gives more direction.

Valerie, I bought some of the packaged beets this morning and plan to use them in a salad tonight.

Diane Sue, I looked at a bottle of tart cherry juice this morning and it had 25 grams of sugar. I saw one on Amazon that was 12 grams of sugar (no added sugars). I haven’t tried it because I generally avoid fruit juice due to the sugar. It seems that you have to read carefully to avoid those with high sugar content.

Lori, intense storms can be very frightening. I hope you didn’t get any of the damage in your area that I have been seeing on the news. We have heavy rain now and some areas have already gotten several inches. Fortunately we don’t have the strong wind. The Jump Sport was good for the cardio to avoid causing more knee pain.

Judy, I haven’t done the Ultimate Yogi Abs—haven’t even previewed it. Thanks for reminding me about it. I read that Michigan is a top state for growing the montmorency cherries so you should be able to find the juice easily.

Have a wonderful afternoon everyone.

This morning I did Kelly Coffey Body Design Bootcamp cardio with the warm up, 18 minutes, 117 calories, heart rate average 128, max 166, met 5.9, 1701 steps. I then did Youtube Sarah Beth yoga, weight loss yoga followed by gentle hip opening, a bit more plus I restarted hip opening because it dropped out while doing it. This was 42 minutes, 93 calories. Total time 60 minutes, 210 calories.

Judy, my Fit Bit said I got over 8 hours of sleep last night too, but I know it is not correct and it is not giving me the times in rem, deep, and light. I was up at 8 am checking to see if any of the rain was leaking in the sun room and took Advil as I was having a hard time sleeping due to the hip pain. My Fit Bit has not been working correctly on the sleep stages for the last two days. Even restarting the Fit Bit and phone has not helped. I hate when it does that. Also, I am very tired today and know if I got 8 hours of sleep I would not be. I might have been in bed 8 hours though.

Carolyn, I was reading reviews and comments on Amazon on the Tart cherry and I also so commentary on the dried tart cherries and what type of oils they use on them to keep them from sticking together. That is good the unsweetened has a lot less sugar grams in it. I think for the concentrate you only use a Tablespoon. I have used regular tart cherry juice concentrate before, but it did not say Montmorency tart cherry on it.
I remember Cathe saying she uses it occasionally.

Good morning ladies,

This morning I did 3 of SB’s Bounces. The first 2 were advanced and my legs are feeling this workout. Total time was 40 mins / 205 cal. These workouts do not have much bouncing. More like doing barre on the trampoline but it does makes you work harder with stability.

Deb...sometimes I prefer using my ipad with some floor/mat workouts. Makes it easier so I am not constantly wrenching my neck to see what they are doing. I work for Bertucci’s. Recently celebrated 25 years there and I would rather not have to move on! The gnats that get me are the May Flies that is what I thought Valerie mentioned. I must be allergic to them and mosquitoes as I always swell when I get a bite from either. Thanks for sharing the fruit fly link. I saved it for future reference.

Judy...awesome you are seeing results! Body Beast and STS is a tough one. Good for you! Hope you get relief from your allergies. I feel for you and Diane Sue.

Diane Sue...can’t remember last time a storm woke me up. Thankful these were during the early to late evening. Once things settle down at work things will be good.

Carolyn...we got a lot of rain and heavy winds and thankfully no damage. Of course the rains started right when we were leaving work. So happy my son and I rode in together. I was driving and had to pull over for him to drive. It was that bad! Crazy!

Valerie..how far do you drive to get to snowy areas to ski? I know I have said this before but amazes me there is still snow somewhere in mod May!

Have a great night all!

Lori, I find the lower body on the rebounder really does work the legs, especially when you are balancing on your toes. It takes work to keep the balance. Are figured that was the restaurant change. I saw it mentioned on a Fox News report online. There are none around here. You have been there for a very long time. I hope things go really well for them. Businesses seem to come and go so much more quickly than they used to. A lot have changed some and stayed in business over the years.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, except for agility class.

Valerie, I like walnuts in oatmeal, I will have to try cherries. Sad that you have to stop XC skiing. Maybe you can still do it in Montana.

Diane Sue, Thanks for the info on the dried cherries etc. I will look all up on Amazon. I know that they say to drink 8 oz in the morning and evening...I think .that is a lot of sugar, even if it is the one with no sugar added. I didn't know there were capsules. mmm......I would guess it would not be good for diabetics at any time. I like the method where you use vinegar and dish soap. I just leave a small glass with plastic wrap with holes on a window sill in the kitchen. Very unobtrusive. I would not want an actual piece of fruit decaying etc. I think the FitBit measures how long you are in bed too, not that you are actually asleep. I agree on the FitBit..I know I wake up at 4:30, and just lie there and think about things, and it counts it as sleep time. It probably puts that time in the "awake" category.

Judy, that is great that you got that extra sleep. Great job on Body Beast!

Carolyn, sometimes we have to listen to our bodies and take a rest day.

Lori, wow, 25 years is a great accomplishment. I hope the company gets things settled and is back on track soon. I don;t think we have any of those restaurants near here.

Take care,

Deb, you might check out Capraflex for joints. I forgot about this product till I was reading Ben Shattos website and I got his book on overtraining syndrme. He has one on low back pain I might get. He is a physical therapist who is into running and fitness. He had a back injury himself and devised a plan for therapy and prevention. Anyway I took Capraflex for a couple of years before we moved back to Oklahoma City. It has goats milk whey, glucosamine, chondroiten, collagen, tart cherry and other joint help anti-inflammatories, valerian, , and is a very complete supplement. I took 6 capsules daily as it states on the bottle and lwered the dosage later and it worked. A bottle lasts a month at 6 capsules a day, the joint vibrance I have been u s ing is 21 days. When I am finished with the Axe multi collagen and glucosamine chondoitin tumeric product I recently ordered, I think I will go back to Capraflex. I bought the Dr Axe product because I had 700 points on Dr Axe site and got the bone broth protein meal for free. I just figured I would add some of the other ingredients in Joint vibrance. I used the foam roller last night before bed and took Advil and slept pretty well. Ben Shattos suggests foam rolling after workouts and as part of therapy.
All of my awake time shows as awake out of the total time. Thankfully the sleep stages takes that into consideration when giving total time asleep. Last night I actually had 7 hours 22 minutes sleep out of 8 hrs 9 minutes in bed.

The montmorency dried cherries have some sugar added and they are still pleasantly tart. 8 oz of fruit juice twice a day is too many calories for me. I would think unsweetened cherry juice would be a challenge if anyone makes it.

Lori we drove to about 3600 feet elevation yesterday and skied up to 4000-4200. there is still tons of snow. took us about 90 min to drive there. highway a good part of the way. this is not a "high" elevation for this area , but not many forest service roads go higher, and we are not good enough skiers to just go off into open terrain. Wish I was... but no. the north cascade hwy ( north cascade NAT PARK) just opened for the season and there is more than 20 feet of snow. in avalanche paths, much deeper. we could find a few places to ski there but this year we are going to Montana. our trip last month got cancelled.
there are certainly places to ski in MT too we are taking mountain bikes instead. If you are a good skier and don't mind hiking up with your skis to the snow, you can ski all year here. we had to hike a little yesterday to get to solid snow but the snow gets all uneven with and weird surface ...not smooth and it makes it hard to ski. plus all the pollen gets on the ski bottoms and they refuse to slide smoothly.
the volcanos ( Rainier, Adams, Baker, Glacier, St Helens etc) and many other peaks never melt out. conditions can get dangerous and unpleasant eventually, like august, but a lots of decent skiers ski them earlier in the season. you need the proper gear and alpine skis, climbing skins, and good ski skills. I don't have those! couple pics, does not show the deep snowpack very well but shows avalanche activity in bottom pic.
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article210746184.html
that is too bad about the closures, but the marketplace is always changing, and companies need to adapt and reorganize things change. wonderful for you to be able to stay with a company for so long.

Carolyn happy you found the beets. I think they are a delicious addition to salads. and so convenient in the little shrink wrapped packages.

Last edited:
Today I did Muscle Endurance which was 71 minutes and 259 calories burned. Average heart rate was 104 and maximum heart rate was 141. I used an eight inch step for the leg presses and skipped the third set. I didn’t want to overdo it with that move.

Lori, good job on the SB barre bounces. Holding those positions on the rebounder is hard. I’m sure that you feel it today.

Diane Sue, it’s good that you are getting in the consistent yoga for your hip. I could probably drink the concentrated cherry juice since you only need to use a small amount. I have pure cranberry juice that I use that way—one ounce of the juice and 7 ounces of water.

Valerie, it’s hard to imagine enough snow for skiing at this time of year, although of course there would be! I’ve never given it much thought.

Hello to Judy and Deb.

Today I did a Sarah Beth Yoga from YouTube warm up , 10 minutes, Kelly Coffey Trim Down premix boxing from both workouts, 33 minutes, 213 calories. I then did more You Tube Yoga with Sarah Beth a 15 minutes cooldown stretch then up the wall followed by foam rolling for the hips and legs, 83 calories, 30 minutes total time. Time today was 73 minutes, 296 calories. I think tomorrow I may try Kelly's Home Gym Intervals, depending on how I feel. I may need to modify the weight segments, and possibly the upper only premix from body shop. This may change though.

Valerie, I do not worry too much about fruit sugar. If you are following the weight watch points I am sure you have to watch even the fruit.

Carolyn, I would be a bit careful of the leg presses too if I was having any issues. Right now I know they are not for me. I am just trying to stay fit and keep some movement in while doing the stretching routines.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was LEKfit sculpt from this week - only upper though. I then did her recent bounce with only the upper intervals in between bouncing. Did the upper using 5lbs and my arms were exhasted. Amazing she can do this to me! Time was 45 mins / 296cal.

Diane Sue and Carolyn...SB has an intermediate/adv bounce that concentrates on the quads. It is one of her newer bounces on her site. This one gets me deep. My legs shake more in this workout than any of her lower workouts. I love it.

Diane Sue...I have been finding some great workouts on YouTube. Jessica Smith and Linda Woolridge we all know...some other I am loving...SanFran Fitness, BodyBarre, Summer Girl, Popsugar to name a few.

Carolyn..good not to push things and skipping the 3rd set. I have a premix I made up of her FS Push and also Pull workouts where I cut out the 3rd set on every workout. When I have a time crunch this is what I do. I feel I still get a great workout.

Deb...we have some restaurants in NY but not in your area. Agility gets you moving!

Valerie...90mins is not bad at all. I bet it goes by quick. Great that there is still snow. I talk in these forums with you most day and we all live live so many miles apart. I like that I hear about all parts of the country from you all. Whether it is weather related or simply what is going on in town or hearing about stores in everyone’s area that I have never heard of!

Judy...I was on YouTube this morning looking at Linda Woolridge’s 12 week rotation. It looks pretty good. I did not like SB’s Summer Rotation so I started her 2017 bootcamp one and I am just not feeling it. I am sure it is due to work. But I need a change and thinking going to try Linda’s rotation and add in some of her Drop Set workouts. I am not committing to the 12 weeks but plan to do the first month and see how I feel.

Have a great night all!

Hi Everyone,

Today I did Body Beast Bulk Arms and a 45 minute indoor ride.

Deb-Thanks! The agility class sounds like a workout.

Carolyn-Great job on Muscle Endurance! It was a good idea not to overdo it with the leg presses. Those can bother me at times too.

Lori-Linda's 12 week rotation looks good. I will keep that one in mind for the future. Great idea to add the Drop Sets in too.

Diane Sue-Nice workouts today! I think my Fitbit is pretty accurate with the sleep stages. I'm usually awake 45 min to an hour. My average sleep for last week was 7 hours. This week it is only 6.5 hours. I really need to work on improving that.

Hi to Valerie!

Judy

Good morning,

Still no workout, my back/hip are feeling a lot better. I may do something short today, or just wait and start fresh on Monday.

Diane Sue, thanks for the info on the joint supplement. I will go over to Amazon and look at it. I looked at the cherry juice that they had at the coop.....none was the right type of cherries, and most were a blend of cherry and other fruits. I am intrigued by the pills, and will be looking at the reviews on them as well. I remember when I drank the juice, it was hard to remember to drink the one glass a day, and this latest article said you should drink 2. I need to check the FitBit sleep recording times again. I could swear that the awake time was included in the overall total. Maybe its a setting that you do?

Valerie, nice pics and article. I am pretty sure that the cherry juice I had previously was unsweetened. It wasn;t that hard to get used to. It was "tart" for sure.

Carolyn, nice job on Muscle Endurance! That is a great workout. The cherry juice concentrate sounds interesting too. Are you drinking 2 a day like the NG article suggested?

Lori, was the Linda Woolridge rotation the one where she uses no weights etc? I went to look at it, and saw a lot of videos that were parts of some rotation, but was not sure if it was a "12 week rotation" as they were all individually listed. I just viewed the first one.

Hi to Judy,

Take care,

Deb, that is great that you are feeling better. When I used tart cherry before I mixed it into my protein shakes or greens powder drinks. Since both had stevia I did not notice anything tart. I dont think that I would mind the tartness. It was just a way to take it regularly. I also did not drink the equivilant of two a day, so maybe that is why I did not notice anything.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.