Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/30

Carolyn if you try it with a vinaigrette, could you give us a review? I often sub vinaigrette. there's something about the flavor / smell of mayo... homemade, Hellmans, miracle whip etc that I just can't stand. I never ate it even as a little kid. I had a couple bad experiences with mayo. awful carrot, mayo, raisin salad they used to give us with school lunches. another time mayo on a jello salad when I thought it was whipped cream. so no mayo for me.

no workout yet today. we had huge thunderstorms last night, unusual for here. scary and loud. lots of lost sleep, a few short power outs but no damage.

Last edited:
Valerie, I remember the jello and mayo and the carrot raisin salad, My mother used to make a dressing with sour cream vinegar and a little sugar that she put in the carrot raisin salad and coleslaw. I liked carrot raisin salad but our didn't have mayonnaise in it. Even when I make a cream dressing I add extra vinegar which is usually red wine vinegar because I like the tang of the vinegar in it. I actually thought the honey mustard dressing recipe that I make from the Fixate cookbook would be good in that salad. They use yogurt in it and Dijon mustard. I know we all have different tastes. I like some tang and a bit of salty not too sweet if it has to be a sweet dressing. Preference is not sweet in general.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was SB TTT Cardio Torch, 23m followed up with a premix I made up from BBS Dance Cardio. Which is Simone's newest DVD. She does 2 dance cardio then has a lower strength then continues with 2 more dance segments then it is upper and core work. I ended after the lower section then a cool down and stretch. I think it ended up being about 35 minutes. So total time was 58 mins. Tonight I did another BBS workout but used the jumpsport to get my jumps in. It is different using the JS for these workouts but still challenging. It is kinder on your joints but the instability of the JS really keeps your balance in check. This was another 25 mins.

Valerie...I will certainly let you know how the Misty Copeland book is. I have the Kindle App on my Ipad and I breezed through it just looking atbthe pictures and her body is so strong and amazing. Goat's milk does not appeal to me either!! Wish I could like it but Imjust can't get past that it is goats milk.

Deb...Simone's book is Body By Simone 8 Week Makeover Plan. I enjoyed it. I like her a lot so it was easy for me to enjoy the book.

Carolyn...writing down your weights takes a bit of time but I feel it is a necessary evil!

Diane Sue..I find with fast moving workouts like you just did I need to keep it no more than 3lbs. Any heavier I am asking for an injury. Hoping your neck and shoulder pain has subsided a bit for you.

No plans for the weekend other than getting ready for my sons college graduation next Saturday. We are having a party at his Dad's house with about 40 people coming. So proud of him. After highschool he was lost a little bit and had no clue what he wanted to do and took a couple of years off. He went back and dived right in.

Good morning,

I took my friend to the doctor yesterday, she has to be on oxygen for a while so it is hard for her to drive etc. We may be starting to build an arc this weekend. :). Keegan has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism ( is that how it is said?)....We go to pick up his meds this morning. It now explains a lot of what has been going on with him.

Valerie, I have no idea what kind of vacuum I would get if my ancient Hoover canister died.

Diane Sue, thanks for the reminder of the KCM body design DVD. I should look to do that one again. I wonder how your homemade mayo would taste with avocado oil? That is what I use about 90% of the time. The other 10% is olive oil. Can you give me the amounts of the ingredients you use?

Carolyn, I think that salad would be good with a vinaigrette as well. Good workout!

Lori, that was a great combo of workouts! That's great about your son! What is his degree in?
Does he have a plan/new job?

Going to the vet this morning....then agility class with Kylee. Lots of HouseMax for me...

Take care,

This morning I got up early and did X Train All Out Low Impact Hiit , 39 minutes 266 calories. We have painters here this morning. They came at 7:30. We had a birthday party for two of the grandchildren last night. I am tired this morning. Not feeling very motivated.

Lori, yes, swinging and punching with some moves and going fast can lead to injury if you are not careful. It is not worth the injury to raise the heart rate a tiny bit. It doesn't seem to affect the calorie burn that much either.

Deb, that is good that you are there to drive your friend to her doctor. Hopefully now Keegan will do better. That is good that you found what the problem is. You should be able to use any kind of oil that you want to use for the mayonnaise. In fact the recipe I use calls for light tasting olive oil. I like the way this recipe turns out perfect every time so I stick with it. There are other methods. I made mayo with macadamia oil once as well.
1 cup + 2 TBS light tasting olive oil
1 TBS lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg (I pasteurize mine or purchase them by just putting it in a pan and heating till a few bubble start. Even if it starts to cook slightly it still works) I have done it without pasteurizing though.

In a blender combine 1/4 cup oil, lemon juice, salt, and egg. Cover and let come to room temperature. (I don't need to do this if I just pasteurized the egg)
Run the blender on low for 30 seconds, then remove the insert from the top and get ready to drizzle the rest of the oil in. You need to pour it in slowly in a thin stream, and increase the blender speed to medium. After some of the oil has been poured in-about half- you will hear the blender motor change pitch. Keep pouring slowly till the rest of the oil is incorporated. Pour into container and mark the eggs expiration date on it. I use mine up fast enough I never worry about marking a date on it.
You can make this into chipotle mayo with 1/2 tsp chipotle powder and 1/2 tsp hot sauce or garlic aioli with 1 tsp Dijon mustard and 4 garlic cloves finely chopped.
I make a ranch dressing with it by using a little garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and fresh parsley chopped, and add 2 TBS red wine vinegar and a little coconut milk to thin a bit.

Lori I came across a newspaper article about misty Copeland a short time ago. think it was the NYT. Fascinating woman. many times the "celebrity" books are written by ghost writers and aren't very good. If this is interesting and well written I'd like to read it but have enough books going right now so no rush.

we did a load of gardening yesterday so that was the workout. will do more today.

Deb hope Keegan does well on his meds. building an arc? what is that? sorry youir friend needs oxygen. it is really inconvenient to drag that apparatus around.
About the only dressings I use are variations on vinaigrette. I don't like creamy dressings. I used to like honey mustard on some things. no ranch either. or blue cheese. that whole group of smells/flavors seem similar ...mayo, ranch, blue cheese. smell bad to me (like smelly feet?) and I avoid all of them. I use lots of different vinegars and oils. Avocado oil has a very high smoke point and is a lot more expensive but flavor is neutral, mild. doesn't taste like anything in particular. I don't usually use corn or soybean oil because of all the weird things that have been done to corn and soybeans, but I like canola as a neutral oil for baking things. for most things I like olive oil best. not good for baked goods, too much olive flavor. Costco is a great source for avocado and olive. toasted sesame oil is really good in Asian things, adds a lot of flavor for no extra calories. I like walnut oil for salad dressing but I need to be careful as I can't smell 'rancid" unless it is WAY far gone. it's a odor flavor I am unable to detect, so need DH to check things for me. ETA I didn't finish saying ..... walnut oil is nice but it seems to turn more quickly than most oils.
also Lori, be proud.. some kids need a break between high school and college. it's too bad so many have to make the jump immediately and not get a little life experience first. it's a wake up call when they see how limited their options may be without a college degree. a bit of real world experience goes a long way to avoiding college just being a waste of time and lots of parties.

Last edited:
This morning I did JS 30 Minute Fat Blaster then I did a To The Mat: Legs and Glutes premix. I did the ball and bands premix for 32 minutes. After my workout I went to the outdoor farmers market then to Sprouts and The Fresh Market for other items. I am always amazed at how much time and work it takes to shop for healthy food. When I visit my family in Louisiana it really requires effort to get to a decent grocery store.

Diane Sue, the broccoli and apple salad is similar to the broccoli slaw that my husband likes a lot. My favorite vinaigrette dressing has Dijon mustard and honey in it. I make it with avocado oil and apple cider vinegar. I bought some broccoli and I plan to try the recipe tomorrow. I will follow the recipe the first time before deciding if I want to make substitutions.

Deb, I have made mayonnaise using avocado oil and a recipe like Diane Sue's. It was delicious.

Valerie, I plan to use the creamy dressing when I make the salad, but if you have a favorite vinaigrette recipe I would try it. I don't have an aversion to mayonnaise, but I prefer a vinaigrette dressing most times. I love blue cheese but usually it's a small amount sprinkled on my salad rather than in a creamy dressing. I have been using avocado oil quite a bit since we talked about it a few months ago.

Lori, congratulations on your son's college graduation. That is wonderful for him. My friend sent me a picture from her son's graduation yesterday. He finished his undergraduate degree a few years ago, but like your son, he didn't know what he wanted to do. Once he decided on graduate school he zipped right through. My friend is thrilled and sad at the same time. I think we all realize that once they complete that step they truly are adults.

Hi to Judy and Caitlin. Enjoy your day.

I know I lost too much weight, and I have some wrinkly skin on my glutes and back of thighs. I did a timesaver premix of Chiseled Lower Body Blast today, and I think I could use the workout Great Glutes. I might never have mentioned that Frank did some cult horror films by writing, producing, and starring in them. One of his films is in a theater in NYC, and we are leaving on Tuesday to spend about two or three days in Manhattan. I almost can't wait.

My birthday is Tuesday, and I have a new heart rate monitor.

Lori, my youngest daughter took time off from school after high school for a year then went on to get her degree to become a teacher. That is great that your son went on to graduate from college. I bet you are proud of him.

Valerie, my first experience with avocado oil was not good. I purchased some at Target and it was obviously already rancid. I thought maybe I would never like avocado oil after that. Once I bought a good one, I really liked it a lot.

Carolyn, you will have to let us know how you like the salad when you try it with a vinaigrette. I need to make another trip to Sprouts. I have taken a liking to the RX protein bars and they have been on sale. Warmer weather I like to pick up kombucha tea. I like the ones with ginger as an ingredient. I used to make my own and once it had aged and I would bottle it and add raspberries and pieces of ginger and let it age in the bottles a few days before I refrigerated it. I would strain it when I was ready to drink it. I need to purchase another scoby so I can do that again. I save GT's Kombucha bottles so I can use them to fill with my own tea. It costs so much less than store purchased.

Caitlin, nice workout choice. I am sure that you will enjoy the trip to Manhattan.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.