Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/30

Lori that is very sad about your friend. How difficult for everyone involved.
A tick check for everyone! They don't attach immediately, and if they haven't attached they can't transmit diseases. still yucky to have them crawling on you. Gigi should be on preventive flea/ tick Meds so she is protected, pretty sure you said you have her on meds. Ticks are hard to spot on dark colored clothes or dark colored animals. You will have to be vigilant now that you know they are easy to pick up in your area

Diane sue my Medicare is deducted automatically from my SS check too like Deb said .It works very smoothly. I never have to do anything. the remainder of the check is direct deposit same day every month. Like clockwork. I think the companies providing supplement insurance vary by the state

Think we will try mt biking today but so far it's raining so maybe later today.

Last edited:
Big mistake with the new phone update. It wiped out the touch whiz that operates the apps again :mad: It is doing the same thing the last phone did with an ATT update. I am fuming right now. I will deal with AT&T from the phone or online and not the store. They were so incompetent.
I just finished doing Sharon Twombly's Athletic Step Jam entire workout with the stability ball portion and abs, 104 minutes, 803 calories. I have always burnt a lot of calories with this one. That was enough for the day. Family dinner tonight and I guess dealing with the phone. GRRR!! Edited to add I got 9004 steps with the workout.

Valerie , thinking about flea and tick products when I purchased this time they had Frontline Gold instead of the other I usually used. I gather it is supposed to kill the bugs before they attach or something. Maybe it just kills fleas. I read about it somewhere. I did read an amount that Medicare would take out of my social security. It will not leave much to the social security funds I get deposited in my account because I have them deduct taxes and it is fairly small anyway.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
No workout for me today. I had appointments and decided to make this a rest day. Lori, I am so sorry about your friend's daughter. That must be so hard for her, something I can't even imagine.

Enjoy your afternoon.

I've read that recommended flea and tick products differ around the country. not every place has the same issues. the local vets will know best what works where you live. plus, the fleas and ticks are developing resistance to some products so what worked a few years ago may not work as well now. I started Puss on Revolution 2 weeks ago, later than usual because it's been such a cold wet spring. will continue monthly until about November. I don't use it during the winter. If he ever went to a kennel or mingled with other animals, I would do it year round.
never got in a ride today, so heading to the gym for an upper body workout, will ride tomorrow instead.

got the vacuum back, fixed for $87. some burned out wires. not optimistic about this device. we used it minimally. the repair guy said the connection between the bare floor tool /power head has problems and is prone to burning out.

Good evening ladies,

Thank you for all the kind words.

This morning was SB's challenge Standing +Lower Body 24m then I did BBS Tramp 7 workout. Total time was 41m / 275 cals. I signed up to Body By Simone Streaming. Can't believe I did another but I did. I did a year subscription, $120 for a year so 10 bucks a month. She has a couple of rotations that look great. Combines her dvds and streaming. Thinking I will start on Monday and try do do it with the SB rotation. I really like her alot and just finished up with her book. A couple of years ago never did I think I would like this style of workouts.

We did find a couple of ticks on GiGi and fortunately they did not bite. She does have tick medicine and we do not cheap out. Want to keep her safe so we pay the extra money. Not worth trying to save a buck. So hard finding ticks on her with her dark coat. She loves her belly rubbed so she had no problem laying on her back so we could really check her underneath. She was completely relaxed. :)

Diane Sue...that sounds like an amazing workout. So sorry about your phone. That really stinks.

Deb...sadly we think there were drugs involved. There are rumors of drug use. This makes it even sadder that it could have been prevented. I think the Raw workouts look great and are the perfect length!

Have a great evening all!

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. Maybe today. I had a busy day, running around to Verizon, my vet, my cousins vet...my friend's after I went to the grocery store for her...she is unable to drive right now..then to the club for agility, and I stayed to help the next 2 classes..

Diane Sue, thanks for the review of goat's milk. I think I will skip that! I hear you on the phone updates. Mine usually end up being something simple that just gets out of whack..like the calendar disappearing. I just don't know how to get the stuff back. The "kids" at Verizon just press a few things, and poof!..its back again.

Valerie, when I finally saw a live tick, it was so tiny, that I don't know how you could ever see one on a dog with hair. That is not good about your vacuum....does it mean it may go out again soon?

Lori, good that you found those ticks and got them before they "attached". That is very sad about your friend's daughter. I didn't realize Simone did a book?

Not sure what is up for today...maybe a workout..we'll see.

Take care,

Did x train bi's and tri's and core 1. A good workout using respectable weights. I will try to go from 12's with weighted gloves to 15's on more of the moves. For some reason that is a hard transition for me.
The repair guy warned us about potential trouble if we use the bare floor tool separate from the power head. That was a big reason for buying this model was the pieces separated. Oh well. It's working again but I will not buy Kenmore again. I already bought a second cheaper one for our new house since we will have the same mix of bare floor, throw rugs and one carpeted room so a vacuum that works on all is best . Also thought kenmore was more reliable than it is.

Ticks are easy to miss on a dog especially a dark colored one. they aren't that big. They don't move much. Sure can cause problems though. Monthly preventive treatment is the only way to go

Lori so sad if this death was drug related. Such a young person and two tiny children now without a parent. Hopefully the father is up to the very tough job he has now

Hi Everyone,

Tuesday I did STS Meso 2 Legs and yesterday I did a Spinerval aerobic base ride. The ride was around 85 minutes and 21 miles. I'm planning on doing STS Back & Biceps with a short core workout later today.

Deb-Thanks! I'm enjoying STS this week. I've been lucky with iPhone updates, never had any issues. The apple watch is another story. I've had things go haywire with it after an update.

Diane Sue-Thanks for the tip on Anylist. I put it on my iPhone and started using it yesterday. I am really liking it so far. I'm sorry about your phone update :( that would be extremely frustrating.

Lori-The Body By Simone workouts look good. The Hips, Thighs And Buns DVD looks like one I might like. Will have to think about it. Very sad about your friend's daughter.

Valerie-we've been using Advantage Multi on our kitties but it doesn't protect against ticks. I'll have to ask the vet about that next week when we take Chino in for his exam.

Hi to Carolyn & Caitlin!

Judy

Judy, if your kitties are totally indoor they might not need tick protection. that would be a good question for your vet. I'm not sure if cats get tick borne illnesses but I will try to look that up. wow, 85 min on an indoor bike is incredible. we will do a road ride this morning about 2 and a half hours but somehow for me, outdoor is different.

I also have had zero issues with the I- phone except for initial set up. once we got things correctly set for our needs, every update has been smooth. DH's phone too.

Today I did ICE Low Impact Sweat One and Two and Icy Core 2. Total workout was 64 minutes, 440 calories, average heart rate was 126, and maximum heart rate 164.

Judy, those are impressive workouts that you are doing. I'm sure I could not do an 85 minute spinning workout! I haven't had issues with my iPhone updates either.

I need to run to the post office while the rain has lessened. Have a good afternoon.

Today I did Les Mills Pump Sports attack, 31 minutes, average heart rate 135 max heart rate 160, 201 calories. I then did Strong and Sweaty Ramped Up Upper mix 12 triceps, triceps, biceps, biceps, 37 minutes 116 calories. Total time was 68 minutes 317 calories. We had taco dinner last night with family. I made a large broccoli apple salad that was really good. I am glad I have some left over.
Weights
triceps close grip bench press 20's 8 reps, 20's 12 reps; 15's 8 reps 15;s 12 reps
dips 32/16 32/16
lying triceps extensions 12's, 12's, 12's, 12's, 12's, 12's
standing overhead extension one 25# dumbbell (I don't like holding two together) 25# dumbbell second round as well
triceps kickbacks tubing 15# b-lines
biceps hammer curls 17.5's, 17.5's 16 reps
sweeping curls 15's 12 reps; 15's 12 reps
isolation curls 12's; 12's
standing curls 15's 12 reps; 15's 12 reps
crazy 8s 15# b-lines tubing 2 sets each round

Valerie, I hope the vacuum gives you a few more years of service. Gertie is black so seeing ticks would be difficult. She does like to lie back and be rubbed all over and her paws checked as long as there are no clippers nearby. It is generally a prerequisite before she will eat, otherwise she circles and comes back to look at me like "well??" Enjoy your ride this afternoon.

Lori, is Body by Simone workouts short enough to do with SB? That is terrible that the death was probably drug related. How sad for the family she left behind. That workout yesterday always makes my inner thighs really sore the next day. During the stability ball part you are hopping around with the stability ball in between your legs. It takes work to keep it there.

Judy, I had one iphone that had an update issue and it totally crashed the phone. It was past warranty and all I got was an offer to sell me another one. I liked the iphone but got tired of dealing with the Apple store. Anylist is a good app. I think I purchased the upgraded version on that. I have checked several times to see if they had come up with it for Android. No luck.

Carolyn, nice job on the heart rate with Ice Low impact. I often marvel at how much my heart rate can get up to with low impact compared to workouts where I am doing plyometric and jumping all over the place.

after reading about cats and ticks it's not clear to me if anything provides protection and whether it is actually needed or not. we don't have a big tick problem where I live. further east, across the mountains is a bigger tick problem. Revolution that I use on my cat does not mention ticks. he is indoor/outdoor but no one has ever suggested anything beyond Revolution and Profender for worms when needed. my little guy is not a big eater and gets skinny. treating him for worms 2x a year helps fatten him back up to his "robust" 8.5 lbs. Judy, ask, and report back if you get a good answer.
we rode our regular trail 32 miles today, for the first time this year. it was a warm sunny day. expecting thunderstorms tonight.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was a SB upper body band with core, 21 mins. I then did one of her bounce workouts and upped my hand weights to 3lbs. I felt I could go heavy with her bounce workouts as they are not crazy fast bouncing. Can't go more than a pound with the power jumps.

Deb...I enjoyed reading Simone's book. She is very down to earth very similar to SB. I also recently bought Misty Copeland's new book. She is such an inspiration and I am looking forward to reading it. The ticks were so hard to find on GiGi with her dark fur. We do a check every night with her.

Valerie...you are really doing great with the weights. We have 2 indoor cats and we have never given them tick medicine and do not think it is necessry. We have never found a tick on them.

Judy...glad you are enjoying STS. Yes I agree you are amazing with your spinning! So far I have had no update issues with any of my Apple products. I do have an update I have not done yet for my watch. Fingers crossed all goes well. The HTB dvd is great and a lot of fun. This was the first of her dvd's that I bought. After doing this one I needed the other two!

Diane Sue...Funny you should mention Les Mills Pump. My friend is an Assistant Cruise Director and she is leaving on Tuesday for four months on a ship and asked to borrow my Les Mills Pump. Since I have never done it and gave away my barbell I told her she could keep it! It was given to me a few years ok so I did not mind. The BBS workouts are about an hour so will do those in the morning and then do SB in the evening. I may not get all the SB's in for the week but should get most of them and will try to coordinate leg days and upper body so there will be some juggling. This will be a tough challenge as there is a lot of high impact with the BBS workouts. I may so some on the jumpsport when I need a break.

Carolyn...good workout today!

Hi to Caitlyn! Have a good night all.

Valerie, that is great that you had a nice day. You got in a lot of miles.

Lori, I am sure that you will formulate a good plan to get in both workouts. I really like Les Mills Pump and I think it is kind of hard to find now. Your friend will probably enjoy it. I like the music in these. The time goes by quickly. I haven't done the original combat one on that series since the Combat series came out though.

Good morning,

It has rained for almost a week straight....I have had enough!

Valerie, Kenmore used to be a really good product, but they have changed over the years. Every picture I have seen online of a tick, is huge, magnified to make them look like they are about a quarter inch long and wide. The one that was on the dog at class was like a piece of hair, about an eight of an inch long. The only reason the girl saw it was because it was moving around on a golden colored dog. I never heard of cats having tick issues, but I wonder why that would be? You would think a tick would latch on to anything it could for food.

Judy, wow, STS legs and a 21 mile spin workout...how did your legs feel afterwards? Like wet noodles? LOL

Diane Sue, that broccoli apple salad sounds good...what do you use for dressing? Can you post the recipe? I got the Les Mills Pump one that I had on Ebay.

Carolyn, good workout!

Lori, what it the title of Simone's book? Is it a narrative or an exercise book? I would love to see the cruise people doing Les Mills Pump!

Any fun plans for the weekend?

Take care,

Thanks! I printed it and will be going to the store for the yogurt. I think I have everything else. :)

did you use the sugar or something else? I think I will use pure maple syrup...

somehow "fleas and ticks" always get lumped together but the anti flea stuff I use doesn't mention ticks. there are apparently diseases cats can get from ticks but I'm not sure how big a problem it is.
Our dog picked up ticks one time. DH and myself have several times. Especially when we are hiking in eastern WA or the rockies, we are cautious and do a "tick check" when we get back to the car. we kill them as we find them so we don't have the same tick showing up again. this is why wearing light color clothing helps.... they're not huge and much easier to see on light colors. I sprayed our regular hiking gear with Permethrin. that helps repel them... I've read. impossible to test this... if you didn't pick up ticks , was it because the spray repelled them, or because you didn't get close to any?

Lori would you report back after you read the Misty Copeland book? I find her fascinating. such an amazing athlete.

wow... I don't think I'd enjoy goats milk yogurt. I use non fat greek yogurt instead of sour cream or mayo. stronger than that would not work for me. I hate mayo and usually avoid creamy dressings because it's usually lurking in there. yogurt doesn't always work as a sub. sometimes it's too sour.

Yes, Kenmore used to be the gold standard. no more. not many companies make canister vacs anymore, and I had bad luck with Miele. it was expensive. sometimes I think every brand is made in some factory in china, and they stick on 15 different brand names but it's all the same product underneath. we have several flights of carpeted stairs that a canister is perfect for.

Today I did Kelly Coffey Body by Design using the mix of Kickbox with weights and lower body, 36 minutes, 208 calories, heartrate avg. 117 max 151. With Kickbox Kelly says to use no more than 5's I did 5's for most of the workout last time but was worried about the shoulder so kept it at 3#. My neck and shoulder area with the nerve damage was really hurting last night. For legs I used 25# and 5# ankle weights for the chair work. Kelly alternates moves like squats with two dumbbells and then a move like alternating reverse lunge with 1 dumbbell. . She also does some that are a combo of two moves like deadlift to plie. I followed this with Ice to the Mat stability ball only timesaver, 21 minutes, 46 calories. I then did Cardio Slam Floor only timesaver 25 minutes, 123 average heart rate 147 max, 167 calories finishing with Strong and Sweaty bonus abs, 13 minutes, 52 calories. My workout was 95 minutes, 473 calories. It seemed odd to me that I got a higher heart rate with Kelly's kickbox than I did Cardio Slam. Steps for workout were 4840. And also my inner thighs are still sore from the stability ball workout of Sharon Twombly's the other day.

Deb, I used honey in the dressing. I rarely use sugar. If I did it would be coconut palm sugar. I finished off the last of what I had post workout today.

Valerie, I cannot eat store purchased mayonnaise after making my own with almond or walnut oil. For one thing, soy bean oil and canola oil have a bad taste. Olive oil mayonnaise, even when I make it is too strong tasting even with light olive oil. Store bought olive oil mayonnaise still has soybean oil in it. They add other stuff to it as well, Mine is nut oil, a pasturized egg, salt, and lemon juice. I make it in the blender easy and tastes good. I use it for my dressings and will make a ranch dressing with it. I find it interesting that there are differences in the flavor of greek yogurt and kefir by brands and also by how much fat is in them. Some are much more sour than others. I try to remember which ones that I liked the flavor of better. I used Stonyfield plain organic 0 fat yogurt as 1/2 of the yogurt in the recipe along with the goats milk I am trying to make myself use. (Note to self, buy the small carton to try)
When we go out in the woods or on our yearly family camping trip there is always tick checks for everyone. We get a lot of ticks here.

Today I did Muscle Max timesaver premix. It was 74 minutes with my pausing to change weights and record my weights on the worksheet. Calorie burn was lower as always with weight work.

Diane Sue, the broccoli apple salad sounds delicious. I think it would also go nicely with a basic vinaigrette dressing similar to the one that I make for spinach salad. I am going to save the recipe and try it soon.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.