Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/10

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting caught up on posting and reading posts. Saturday I did a short Peloton ride after work, Sunday I did Yin Yoga, Monday I did Muscle Meltdowns Triceps, Shoulders and Back, yesterday I did a 90 minute Peloton ride and today I did Great Glutes, No Disc Premix then LiTe Body Weight and Bands with 6 Pack Abs 2.
Saturday I ended up with 27,000 steps, mostly from work. I've been getting over 20,000 steps every day I've worked.

Deb-I'm so sorry that you are in pain :( I hope the PT helps.

Valerie-Great job with Stacked Upper Body! I need to do that one again soon.

Diane Sue-That's good news that Gertie doesn't have mites or a thyroid problem. I hope the spray and antibiotics help.

Carolyn-Great job with Muscle Endurance! This was one of my first Cathe DVDs when I started in 2013. I was getting it in 2-3 times a week. Sometimes I think about doing that again since I really enjoyed it and I did feel like I got good results from it. Cardio Core Circuit is very tough! Great job with that one too.

Lori-I saw that review of FIt Tower Total Body and I want to do it again too. Your cheesecake looks awesome!

Have a great day,

Judy

Deb we (finally) changed the clock. DH wrote out the steps, keeps it on a card in the glove box. he wrote it so he understands it, but not me. I don't try anymore. He tried a couple times before he was successful, but we were sitting at the trailhead after finishing the snowshoe , having a snack, so it was a good time to mess with it. If I had to do it, it wouldn't happen.
My old Forester has a button... push up or down for forward or back. so easy. we do a time change at least 20x a year, whenever we drive to or come back from mountain time zone, so it's a very real inconvenience. I have a Timex Expedition watch that needs resetting too. there is a software flaw so the process needs repeating several times before it "sticks" when you change the time in one direction but not the other. I manage that just fine. It makes me feel like an idiot when I can't follow those steps on the new forester..... our Ford truck is also easy to change. when we looked at new vehicles a few weeks ago, I had the salesman show me how time change worked. It's a thing that builds annoyance up over time. Most other electronics do it themselves now.
WA is one state ( along with CA and others ) considering a permanent switch to DST, several bills in process now.

I have an old pair of snowshoes that are better. I try to get used to the new ones. when snow is fluffy they are good, but when icy/crusty and tracked up, my old ones work better. I did a duct tape fix on the old ones and will use those. they are old & beat up. I get fatigued but no other soreness.
Sorry your treadmill experience caused problems. Have you tried Revd up Rumble? (Easy to tell I really like that one). or rock em sock em? not real intense cardio but better than nothing. the regular workout, not the calorie crush. or back to the bike?
I feel and hear your frustration! I am relieved at being able to do upper body training without discomfort after long term issues.
diane sue, great there is no real problem with Gertie. good that you took her in for a check.
Deb, my SIL is going thru the thyroid business right now. she is resisting doing what she needs to do. usually people also end up on thyroid meds. my mother had hyperthyroidism, and was treated, stayed on meds afterwards.

Cardio core circuit is one I'm not familiar with. I don't own everything cathe has done.

This morning I did Jessica Smith’s HiiT Walk which was 30 minutes and 210 calories burned. Average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate was 154. The rotation had Plyo HiiT scheduled today, but I didn’t want to do that. I felt like something less intense.

Diane Sue, nice job with Coffeyfit Raw Step, Step Boxing 2, and Foam Roller Stretch.

Deb, sounds like the treadmill is definitely out for now. You should try something from Jessica Smith for a more gentle cardio when you want a change from the bike. Her workouts get the heart rate up without stressing out the body.

Valerie, it’s great that the Stacked Sets Upper Body works well from you. It was smart of you to have another meat for your husband’s dinner when you made the salmon. Does he dislike all fish or just salmon?

Judy, you had a good workout week. Getting over 20,000 steps several times a week is amazing. Sounds like getting in your cardio will be an added benefit from your new job.

Hello to Lori.

Carolyn I'm still around and had another question for you. Have you used skinny taste for cooking? opinion? It comes with smart points calculated. just wondering. I've run across her blog before but not sure if I ever cooked anything from her. wondering if you've tried her out and what you thought.

DH doesn't like most fish. he eats tilapia, halibut, trout a few ways. absolutely no skin or bones. other fish or shellfish, no. well... fish sticks sometimes. usually that's cod.
I like salmon. salmon in restaurants is usually overcooked and even here in salmon country, very very expensive.
so I quit! a waste of time and salmon. I had 'back up" leftovers so when he sniffs at it and says he doesn't like it, I can grab "whatever" from the micro and plunk it on his plate. I made a very small serving of the honey mustard salmon so it could jump upstream to my plate if (when) he said "yuck". he tried about a microgram of it and said it tasted like salmon:eek:
I used to like prawns, but that meets the same fate. I don't buy expensive wild sockeye and prepare it so can't taste it's salmon..... that is just nutso! so I ate the salmon, enjoyed it. I bleach/scrubbed the sink where I defrosted it, and make a special trip to the garbage so he couldn't smell bits of skin bagged up. I also made it Tuesday nite as our trash pick up is wed am, so it won't smell there either. that's just enough BS.

Judy that is an incredible number of steps!

We had thunderstorms start around 2 am that woke me up. I am dragging today. The rain stopped and now we have high winds. Sirens all over the place. They have some downed power lines and outages. They are showing some fires on the news. My husband said he saw a sign blown down. I noticed all of my flower pots and things sitting on my bakers rack outside are gone. I was going to go to the grocery store, but decided to go tomorrow. This wind sets off my allergies and I have a headache from it.
This morning I started with Lite Metabolic Calorie crush premix, doing the warm up and cardio but not the stretch, 17 minutes, 114 calories, heart rate average 128, max 160, 1,754 steps, met 8.60. I then did Lite Metabolic Blast mix of main + abs #2, 46 minutes, (I skipped the warm up) 299 calories, met 7.50, heart rate average 117, max 158, 845 steps. I went heavier on almost all of the moves which I used 8's and 10's on. I then did Pyramid Pump chest, triceps, and shoulders with the stretch, 28 minutes, met 6.0, heart rate average 107, max 142, 524 steps. Total time was 91 minutes, 572 calories, 3,123 steps.
Pyramid Pump weights 12,10,8,10,12 reps for each exercise supersets
Chest
fly on ball 10,12,15,12,10 lb dbs
incline press on ball 10,12,15,12,10 lb dbs

Triceps
standing kickbacks 10,12,15,12,10 lb dbs
lying extension on the ball 10,12,15,12,10 lb dbs

Shoulders
overhead press 8,10,12,10,8 lb dbs
incline front raise on the ball 2,5,8,5,3 lb dbs

Valerie, I have to look and see where I put my marble cheesecake recipe. I looked where it usually is this morning and I did not find it. I used it not long ago. I will have to post it, as it is a recipe I acquired through one of those mailings with recipe cards that tried to get you to buy a binder and get cards delivered monthly. I got that one when my adult children were children. My husband says the new Taurus is easy to adjust the clock. My car is not easy for anything. I am always having to get out the book to read what all the code numbers are and symbols. The navigation system and clock are aftermarket that we had installed and I think some foreigner wrote the manual. You can tell by wording or lack of some words. It is more of a figure it out yourself. I don't use the phone or the navigation on it. It seems like too much bother and I am not willing to sit out in my car and figure it out. Cardio Core Circuit is one of the STS Shock Cardio workouts.
When you mentioned fish sticks I had to smile. My husband likes fish when it is the breaded stuff. He will eat mahi mahi or something mild, but he is not a fish fan. He will eat Long John Silvers fish. I reserve the fish for myself. He never complains about the smell. There are a few things he does not like the smell of, but he finally came to the conclusion that he knows I like it and he leaves me alone. That is a lot to have to do just to enjoy fish. I love good salmon. The only time I have ever liked tilapia was when I got it from Schwans. Most of it reminded me of the smell of the bottom of our fish tanks when I cleaned them. I don't know why, but I was put off by it.

Deb, I am sorry the treadmill workout was not a good idea. You would think that they would be cautious with the thyroid medicine. I was praying it wasn't that when the vet asked if it was okay to do the test. At least we know what it is not. I really do think some of the hair is growing back in. I took a picture a few days ago so that I can compare. When I brushed her this morning I could not see as much skin through the hair. They scraped where the two spots with the most hair gone were so I think it will take awhile for those to look better. I bet you were upset when you found your dog did not need thyroid meds. Good idea to check ebay.

Judy, over 20,000 steps is a lot!. I don't always get 10,000. Usually that happens when I go shopping and clean house. Nice workouts this week.

Carolyn, nice workout substitution. I have to really feel in the mood for plyo workouts. This morning with being so tired, I was really fighting to get through the Metabolic Blast Cardio Crush that I did.

Good morning,

PT yesterday. I don't know if it is doing all that at once, or what, but my knee is really hurting today.

Judy, nice workouts....and 27,000 steps!!! wow, that job has you moving! Better than sitting at a desk for sure.

Valerie, I agree...the annoyance on the time change for the Foresters builds up...I swear I have the "method" down, and the next time it doesn't work! Why don;t the manufacturers realize that this is a really bad design and change it? Do you have a Forester with the big radio screen that has a scroll bar that you have to use your finger on to change the radion station? John's '16 has that and its a safety hazard for sure. He says he read somewhere that Subaru is going to discontinue that style and go back to the radio with buttons. I absolutely hate the bike....even the one at PT that I have to ride for 10 minutes before doing the exercises is 10 minutes too much for me. I don't do KB because of the moves that are bad for my hip. Enough of that....I feel like a whiner/complainer...

Carolyn, good job on the sub workout...no Plyo for me either. I think I sold any I had on Ebay. Which JS would you recommend? I may do that.

Diane Sue, glad Gertie's skin is better. Hope that whatever it was is no longer an issue.

Car inspection today...

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Deb I hardly drive the new Forester. Always passenger. yes big distracting screen we have preset stations.
We did not get upgraded electronics. it has the back up camera. If we had a trailer or some tow behind maybe we would appreciate it more . when I park or back up it is so much easier to just turn around and look. I never think to look at the camera. I am not a fan of electronic assists that are too distracting. I think they encourage drivers to pay less attention. I wish subaru went to a simple clock.
I did revd up rumble again yesterday and also the bands/body weight. about 90 minutes total. We thought we would mountain bike but it rained all morning so didn’t happen. Hopefully today.

Has any one suggested imaging studies yet? Or a cortisone shot? This has gone on such a long time without much or any improvement. I definitely don't like standard exercise bikes , especially the ones PT has. they always have those "big bowl" seats that are incredibly uncomfortable. no matter how you try to sit, you slide back into the "bowl."
Diane sue don’t sweat the recipe. It will show up eventually. I will probably make a cheesecake I have made before anyway. cherry cheesecake is very good but I haven't seen those cherries in a long time. Costco used to have them. I have quite a few cheesecake versions to pick from. I haven't had one in so long!

Last edited:
This morning I did Cathe Lite Cardio Party, 40 minutes, heart rate average 145, max 176, 3,810 steps, met 8.0, 283 calories. I then did Coffey Fit Raw Boxing and Kettlebell, 31 minutes, heart rate average 135, max 168, 1,628 steps, met 8.5, 226 calories, finishing with Lite Extended stretch 2, 11 minutes, 31 calories, 10 steps :p, Total time 82 minutes, 540 calories, 5,448 steps . I had to do a search on the internet to find met values for Kettlebell workouts. I took the met down from 9.8 which it listed for continuous swings or kettlebell intervals so that it would coincide with my calorie burn. I wore 2# gloves throughout this workout and used a 15# kettlebell. For Cardio Party I used 1# dumbbells for the kickboxing work.

Deb, I have high hopes that Gerties skin problems will clear soon. The patches the did the scraping on are much better today. No redness. I am so sorry you are still having so much trouble. With all of the physical therapy I would think you would be so much better by now. I would find those 10 minute cycle rides without entertainment so boring. I would be clock watching, and when I do that 1 minute seems to take forever.

Valerie, I am baffled about where I put that recipe. I took everything out of the cabinet where it usually is. I have a couple of other places to look. I know it did not leave the house. One thing that I really do like about my aftermarket radio, gps etc is the back up camera. It is nice since my car is so small and people do not always seem to see me, even though my car is a bright color.

Last edited:
Today I did Stacked Sets Upper Body+Six Pack Abs 2+Extended Stretch 2 which was 61 minutes and 347 calories burned. My average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate was 163.

Deb, I like Jessica’s 30 Day Plan which is a set of 3 dvds. I usually choose something from the 3 Weight Loss Walks dvd or the 5 Day Fat Burn dvd. Those are my favorites of all of her workouts that I have. Her dvds are available on Amazon.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful afternoon.

Diane sue.... I have misfiled plenty of things. it will show up. its just out of its normal place.

we did our mt bike this morning, 2 hours. I forgot to check final mileage, still on the bike computer. must have been 7 miles. 2 hours. more snow than last time! this is such a weird year. we are usually WAY past snow and we still have big piles around our driveway, and places we rode a while ago are now snow covered again.

I didn't think much about back up cameras until we test drove a few trucks. they all have standard back up cameras now of course. I realized as I turned around to back up... and looked at the salesman in the back seat.... that he must be thinking I was crazy for not using the camera. I'm not sure I can break the habit, and it can't hurt to double check.

Good morning,

Babysat this morning, just got back.

Valerie, Glad you got your biking in yesterday. I really do not like the screen that is in John's '16. I have the camera on mine, and it took a while for me to trust using it. I like the combination of the camera, and me looking back myself. No imagining suggested, as it seems like my hip is better, now its the knew. I was wondering if the hip PT ( the bridges with the ball and strap around my knees) could have hurt this knee. The way you describe the bike, especially the one at PT is perfect!

Diane Sue, it sounds like Gertie is on the mend. If the hair is growing back and no redness, it is probably healing.

Carolyn, thanks for the JS recommendations!

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Today I did Butts and Guts which was 80 minutes and 314 calories burned. My average heart rate was 107 and maximum heart rate was 152.

Valerie, I like having a back up camera as an extra view, but I don’t rely totally on it. Like you, I need to turn and look over my shoulder. How do you like the Bands and Body Weight workout?

Hello to All and have a great day.

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Intervals #3,27 minutes, heart rate average 134, max 178, 1,749 steps, 203 calories, met 7.6. I then did Pyramid Pump Lower body only time saver. , 45 minutes, 259 calories, met 6.5, heart rate 115 average, max 170?? , 1,281 steps. Total time 72 minutes, calories burned 464, 3030 steps.

Raw Intervals #3 uses a step with 1 riser for some of the cardio moves A warm up is needed. I threw the ball and ran around with Gertie for a warm up ;)
Kelly uses 3# dbs and 10# dbs weights are done in a light weight quick paced set then heavier slow set between cardio intervals
biceps curls alternating quick paced 5# dbs me, followed by 10# curls
ski runs and jacks
bent arm lateral raise with pulses 3# dbs followed by 10# lateral raises
step single leg pulls all on right then all on left
triceps running kickbacks 5# dbs me followed by 10# dbs kickbacks
step scissors then pop squats 3 sets of 8 reps
standing pec dec 3# pulses followed by slow paced 10# dbs
step lateral leg lifts with arm movements
back rows 5# dbs me followed by 10# dbl arm rows
waist line side bends followed by seated knee ins

Pyramid Lower body 12,10,8,10,12 reps each exercise
rear slide lunge 8,10,15,12,10 lb dbs
step ups 3 risers 10,12,15,12,10 lb dbs
side slide lunges 10,12,15,12,10 lb
elevated lunges 8,10,15,12,10 lb dbs
sliding crossback lunges 8,10,12,10,8 lb dbs
deadlifts 12,15,17.5,15,12 lb dbs
calf raises 12# dbs 30 reps, 15# dbs 25 reps, 17.5# dbs 20 reps, 15# dbs, 25 reps, 12# dbs 30 reps

Good morning. we went snowshoeing this morning, 3 hours. it was a lovely morning out, and is almost 60 degrees but that didn't make the snow very nice. we have had so much snow that everything pretty much starts at the junction of FS road and the hwy. I don't like to park right on the roadway but no choice. cars get bashed so often. we went a couple miles but the snow was nasty and hard to walk on.

Deb, we have a screen that shows the radio stations listed in memory. other stuff but not much useful. it isn't all that distracting but we preset what we needed. we still have an intact windshield on this car, been a year, some sort of record.
Glad I'm not the only one who still looks behind. a good habit to have. we don't have the side warning cameras, so still need to watch for approaching cars when backing out of a space. people speed thru parking lots, especially Costco. I'm not sure about lane correction /automatic braking features. I have reservations about how well electronic sensing devices work sometimes, as in driverless vehicles and some of the auto correction in planes. see Boeing 737 max for details.
I absolutely hate exercise bike seats! it's an unpleasant position . I spend a lot of time on bike seats, and it doesn't have to be that way but need to try things to find what fits.

Carolyn, I like that workout. I've done it 2 or 3 times now I like weighted workouts better but I wanted to feel I could get a decent workout with a couple bands. I have a couple trips coming up where I will only have bands and I never bought Travel fit. there are a couple moves on the mat where you raise the lower leg while looped into a band that I'm wary of. that looks like instant bursitis to me! I did the whole thing though and no soreness at all. I haven't done butts and guts in years. Strong work!

I am so behind on catching up here. I have just been really busy. I ordered Rev'd Up and Rumble this morning. I am looking forward to getting it.

Valerie, I still look behind me and all around me even though I can see the back up camera. I am always afraid someone will be coming from a direction that the camera does not pick up. I don't think it is a bad habit. It is nice to be able to look at it first before I start the backing procedure. It is not only vehicles, but people who don't seem to care that you are backing up and want to walk right behind you. I cleaned out the one cabinet and search a couple of others. That recipe has to be here somewhere. I am sure it will show up when I am not looking for it. :) My daughter just got a new Cadillac SUV and she has had to get used to some of those extra features. Some of that stuff would drive me nuts when the vehicle takes over and does things on it's own when I am driving it.

Deb, maybe it did have something to do with the PT moves that you were doing last. I got the sheet in the mail that I forgot to bring home from the vet on seasonal alopecia in dogs. I guess if it continues to be an ongoing problem it will start taking longer for the hair to grow back. They sometimes give the dog melatonin and it helps the hair grow back and stop the loss during that season. I hope that it is not that. Gertie does not need something that will make her drowsy or calm. Well, maybe at the vets office. She never gets on my lap, but there she wants me to protect her and keeps trying to climb on my lap and hide behind me. I think her vet experiences have not been pleasant over time. When she was a pup she was a lot more trusting. Now she doesn't want cookies from them or anything. I had to sit on the floor with her and do my relax technique with her so she would be calm and they could check her temperature. I hope we don't need to go back again till time for shots. All in all it is looking better each day. We went out in the sun for a bit today.

Carolyn, nice work on Butts and Guts. I have not done that one in a really long time. I remember doing long mixes of that one with all of the abs added to it.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Carolyn, Butts & Gutts, a blast from the past. That is a tough one. :)

Valerie, I would think that 60 degrees, after a snow would make it more like slush? John has Sirius radio, many choices. I'm not sure if he knows he can preset stations....I will ask him. Travel Fit is a great workout!

Diane Sue, It's good that you have a relaxing technique for Gertie. Kylee is the same way in the waiting room....she keeps jumping on and off my lap, and pulling towards the exit. Once she is in the exam room, she is fine. I am not sure what she is afraid of in the waiting room. I am so "not there" with all these automatic things on cars, and dread even the thought of a driverless car.

Hi to Judy & Lori

Take care,

This morning I did Coffey Fit Raw Real Raw Cardio Hiit 2, 36 minutes, heart rate average 142, max 174, 3,305 steps, met 8.0, 278 calories. I then did lite Extended stretch, 31 calories 11 steps. TOtal time 47 minutes, 309 calories, 3,316 steps. I have to get ready for a business dinner my husband is going to.

Deb it wasn't slush. there is a lot of snow in the mountains even down low. it warms during the day and refreezes at night leaving a crust over the remaining snow. it breaks unevenly when you walk on it, but you sink in 4-6 inches even with snowshoes. it tends to break unevenly, with softer snow underneath so a lot of twisting of feet, ankles. it is not the dry powdery stuff that maybe is up high in elevation , but we cant get there easily. the places you can drive high are too obnoxiously busy. DH bought some new snowshoes so we wanted to test them. it was a lovely day but after a couple miles of crunching, wed had enough. it is hard work. eventually the snow gets better. spring corn.
we have a '18 Forester without upgraded electronics. I don't think it was hard to set the radio buttons. nothing like the clock. it does not have gps etc. my phone is fine for that when we need it occasionally.

diane sue, you are so right about people walking behind. especially grocery stores. you would think adults would be a little cautious when they see back up lights on. if they are not directly behind you, it depends on the vehicles you are parked between on whether you can see them or not. I'm not sure I want some of the extra electronics available. the other issue is minor fender benders have the potential to cause thousands in damage to the cameras and sensors.

I hope you like revd up rumble. I sure enjoy it. IMO it is definitely intermediate unless you put in the calorie crush section which I don't always do. no dread factor at all.

we are having our HOA meeting this morning. should be interesting.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.