Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/9

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

After the workers finished the re-do of the cabinet, I went to a 4 hour agility workshop with Kylee. It was very good, but very humbling.

Valerie, nice on getting back to the toe pushups! yes, that was the plan, to get the new refrigerator before the 20 year old one dies. Now we are open to pick a model that we really want, not limited to what fits in the space we have. They added almost 3 inches to the height of the space. A nice benefit was that they brought the same wood colored pieces of baseboard that matches our cabinets, as the baseboard is wider now too. I really don't let Ike out that many times a day, it just feels like it. With having to put coat and boots on each time, then dry him off as he loves to jump around in snow banks, comes in with all icy particles stuck in his fur. I guess each person's taste buds are different in what comes through stronger, salty or sweet.

Carolyn, that club is such a good idea! It is a nice social outing as well as a good source of financial ideas, etc. Interesting on how to tell if a sinus or migraine headache. I know when I have what I call a sinus headache, it is really hard to fall asleep, and like you said, I wake up and usually it is still there, although most times not as painful. The OTC sinus meds usually don't even put a dent in the pain.

Diane Sue, good job on the Les Mills Pump workout! That is one bad thing about most large pieces of exercise equipment.....if there is no local repair place/person, it is almost a reason not to purchase it. I didn't realize Bowflex was one of those companies. I guess they don't sell in retail stores at all, just over the internet? We had a NordicTrac which I hated, and ended giving it away to a local Cathlete. I believe they actually had stores in malls at one time, if I am remembering that right, but all closed down. Butternut squash is one of my favorites. I could eat it 3 times a week. I bought extra when buying for Thanksgiving, and will cook them and freeze it in portions.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Deb, you’re right... Nordictrac had a store in every mall. Two competing companies for s while . We went thru 4 of them. Both DH and I used them. They were cheap compared to other bigger equipment 700$ or so. needed a big open space. skis extended way past the frame when in use. No one fixed those either. We finally got a treadmill and a stationary bike instead.

I didn’t realize dogs needed that gear to go out to pee. We had a short hair dog and used to wipe his feet when he came in but that was it. With 2 dogs it would get messy quickly.
Great that you were able to get the space so you have choices on a new fridge . I’d like a French door here too but it would be a major redo. I will stick with side by side so I don’t lose my island. I would be OK with height but door swing won't work.

we had butternut squash last night. its my favorite. like sweet potatoes, I like it savory with onion and maybe garlic and chili.
it's funny about tastes. DH has a much more sensitive palate than I do. he is not bothered by too sweet/ salty, but can't tolerate any heat. I love heat but salt and sweet are deal breakers for me. mostly we can compromise. I have my stash of hot sauce and pepper flakes for my needs.

Have any of you used chia seeds for anything? am I missing something? I don't think I've ever had them.

Last edited:
Today is my rest day. We put up our small Christmas tree in the entry way, which is the first holiday thing that I have done. I’m pleased with the way it looks and it helps me get in a holiday mood. I can’t believe that Christmas is almost here!

Hello to everyone and I hope you are having a great day.

Deb, with Gertie it was a lot till I figured out that I needed to take the water away after I felt she had enough rather than stand there and watch her drink a whole large bowl in one sitting. I kind of felt guilty at first, but it was not like I didn't make sure she had water. Just gave it to her when I felt it was time like meals and in between and none late at night. Then she went out in the snow and dug holes so I had to definitely take her out on my long leash. I don't think I ever had a dog that I had to spend that much time outside when house breaking. It is not pleasant rushing to bundle up to get out the door in time. I kept towels on the floor by the door so we could clean up the wet each time. We went through a lot of towels with two dogs. That is a long training session. I think that you can find some Bowflex products in stores. I don't recall ever seeing their top of the line products in stores though. It used to be nice to be able to buy a treadmill somewhere like Sears and buy an extra warranty on it. I had a Proform for a lot of years. Then later my husband got me a Nautilus which was really a nice treadmill. I am kind of sorry I let my daughter buy it from me. We just were trying to downsize and a Treadmill and the Tread climber together would have taken up a lot of room. At the other house the Treadclimber was downstairs in the office and the Treadmill in my workout room. I didn't want them carrying that heavy tread climber up the stairs. That is great that you got your cabinets done.

Valerie, I have used chia seeds. I have made Chia seed pudding. I never got it to get very thick, but maybe because I was not patient enough to wait long enough for them to swell and it thicken. I think they put them in smoothies as well. I have read that just eating them as is, like sprinkled in something can be a hazard for some people. They swell, and can cause an obstruction. Although I have seem them suggested in different recipe ideas. They come in some white colors or black ones. I have some black ones in the cupboard. There is supposed to be a lot of nutrients in them.

Carolyn, I got in the Christmas mood when my daughter surprised me with our tree. I pulled out decorations and started setting some things out. I got out Christmas wrap to wrap some presents. A couple of ladies at my husband's work made him a wreath the lights up and since he likes red white and blue, they put those color of ornaments into it. It is really pretty.

Good morning,

We bought the new refrigerator yesterday, of course that took 2 trips to different stores, home to think it over, to decide where to purchase it, then out again to actual make the purchase.

Valerie, there were a lot of things I didn;t like about the NordicTrack, like you mentioned, the space needed to operate it, the awkwardness that I always felt when on it....I could not really get a smooth movement, it was jerky etc for me. I couldn't wait to give it away. No gear for the dogs to go out...LOL....that is the human gear needed.. :) I have used chia seeds to try to make overnight oats, or to thicken something I tried to make with yogurt....hated the consistency....I actually threw out the container of it. They are not cheap either.

Diane Sue, we have done the same thing with the water dish and Ike...he seemed to be just drinking water like he zoned out or something at the bowl. I feel bad for Kylee too, I never had to limit her water. That wreath sounds really nice, especially the red, white and blue lights.

Hi to Carolyn, Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Deb, it is really difficult with two dogs with things like the water. I tried to use some opportunities for Mudd to get at a water bowl. Like putting a bowl in an area where Gertie could not get to with the pet gate. I had to do that anyway to give Mudd a break from Gertie chasing her and nipping at her till I got that under control.
Getting the refrigerator will be nice. Mine needs a new seal because if the veggie drawer does not get closed all the way and the door comes back and hits it has torn a hole in it because the silly drawer has a sharp point on it. I get grandchildren that do that and sometimes I have done it in a rush. Now I know to look for that problem with a refrigerator.

Ooo too funny!! I am laughing out loud! I really thought it was dog gear, even the boots!!
Congrats on the new fridge. How long for delivery? It’s something you’ll have for a long time and use many times a day. Best to spend a few minutes to be sure.
We both got "smooth" at using the Nordic track, but DH used to elevate it by raising the front end. (real xc skiing on snow is different, but we did a lot of that too. that changed the posture and gave me a backache. It was REALLY hard to lower it. I got my fingers pinched more than a few times. Made me finally quit using it. we got a treadmill and got some peace from the equipment wars. .
thanks for the chia seed input. I've seen them, not bought any. pudding looks like something I might like, but depends on WW points whether its worth it. the recipes I saw said to mix with liquid and soak overnight. they show it with different fruits. I've gotten to like plain yogurt with fruit so maybe. I never got past the seasonal ads for the "chia pet" things.

I did ramped upper body yesterday, and the ab workout. I can't do two moves on the ab one, the toe taps (aargh!) and push up into soldier walk. I lose balance and topple on both. making progress on the plank but the other one I don't get. the move shows up in other workouts and has defeated me each time.

Last edited:
Today I did part of Body Max 2 by shortening some of the first part. I did 1 of the 3 step combos and 3 of the 4 circuits. Then I did the Upper Body Weights and Abs. My time for the cardio and circuits was 39 minutes and 317 calories burned. Average heart rate was 138 and maximum heart rate was 179. The weights segment was 40 minutes and 102 calories burned. Average heart rate was 96 and maximum heart rate was 122.

Deb, getting a new refrigerator is exciting. You were smart to have the cabinets adjusted first to avoid frustration.

Valerie, that’s so funny that you were imagining snow gear for the puppy! I have chia seeds and have used them to make chia pudding with some type of fruit and flavorings for breakfast. I mix it up at night and refrigerate. I probably won’t buy them again after I use up what I have, but they are packed with nutrition.

Hello to Diane Sue, Lori, and Judy.

Quick check in. My daughter just called and is taking me to lunch in a bit so I need to shower. I did Body Step 110 classic from Les Mills on Demand, 57 minutes, heart rate average 129, max 170, 4,313 steps, met 5.9 371 calories. I will check back later :)

thank you judy, I feel a little less gullible now!. but honestly, you see people, usually with little dogs, with hats, sweaters, jackets, carried in p[urses or special carriers, .. well , boots didn't seem like such a stretch. I KNOW people with outdoor exercising dogs who use foot covers/ booties to prevent ice build up feet, toes.

I am back and had a nice visit with my daughter and lunch :) I woke up this morning with the terrible pain radiating around from under my chest to my back on the right side. It feels like I have something pulled or stretched. I must have slept weird as yesterday was a rest day and nothing was hurting till I woke up this morning. I waited awhile and then took some Excedrin, as Advil makes me feel sleepy. Once I got moving around with the cardio it felt a little better. I did not do the push up sequence in that step workout, but did manage the butt kickers over the step holding on to the step. I also did not do all of the over the head sequence with the 5# weight plate. Or I guess they were using 2.2 KG ?? Anyway this afternoon it is still bothering me. Not as bad until I try to reach overhead for something. I have had this happen before, so hopefully it is gone by tomorrow. I will be going to my grandson's Christmas program at 8 in the morning so I am hoping to go to the store after and then come home and do some strength work. It may have to be just lower body. I did do a 15 minute yoga segment from Les Mills yesterday, but that should not have caused a problem. I was fine all day.

Valerie, if it had been some other people I know, I would have figured it was dressing the dog as well as myself to go outside. I have seen many pictures of those with their doggies in their winter clothing :) My dogs never dressed to go outside. I wanted quick as possible in and out otherwise maybe they would have needed something on their feet. Most animals are equipped for some cold and have their own insulation though. My problem always was, if I put boots on my dog, it would take so long and they would probably pee on them and then I would be cleaning the boots LOL I suppose if I was going to take the dog for a long walk in the ice and snow, foot coverage would probably be a good idea.
I roasted squash the other day and have one more helping left that I will have for dinner. I think chia seeds do have some fat in them. I remember when they came out with bags of them, thinking about all of the chia pets. If I have not done the soldier walks and that type of stuff for awhile, it takes a bit to get the balancing end of it. Les Mills pulls a lot of tripod plank moves into their core work and one I did recently had a sped up foot marching in and out thing that got quite uncomfortable after starting out slow with arm reaches to the sides.

Carolyn, I pick up the little packets of chia seeds and hemp seeds for recipes that call for them and keep them on hand, but quite buying larger bags of them. I don't use them often, but it is nice if I see a recipe I want to try and I have them on hand. Right now I have a little packet that I emptied into one of those 21 Day Fix food containers that are small. I used the hemp seeds up recently in a salad. Nice way of doing the Body Max 2 workout and getting some of everything in with it.

Diane Sue, I hope that your chest and back feel better tomorrow. It sounds like you might have pulled a muscle somewhere. Chia seeds are high in omega 3 and have some omega 6 fats. They are also high in dietary fiber. I love hemp seeds and always have them on hand. I sprinkle 2 tsp on my oatmeal or yogurt.

Hi Everyone,

Friday I did RWH HiiT Circuit Lower Body. I modified and didn't do the jumps on or over the step. Saturday I did the Barlates Posture Improvement workout and a 30 minute Yin Yoga. Yesterday I did Cycle Sweat Timesaver premix and today I did Amy Bento's Slo Mo Strength. I've decided to reschedule my cyclebar spin class for another time, maybe after the holidays. I'm really enjoying Cathe's spin workouts so I will just continue those for now.

Deb-That's awesome that you got a new refrigerator! I bet you will love it!

Diane Sue-It does sound like you might have a pulled muscle :( I hope it feels better tomorrow.

Valerie-We have a couple of neighbors that put booties and raincoats on their dogs when they walk them in wet or cold weather.

Carolyn-Great job with Body Max 2. I really need to try that one.

Hi to Lori!

Judy

I did my Costco run today, and they had chia seeds and hemp. Hemp was about $14. chia was a huge bag for $7 so I am soaking some to try tomorrow. the hemp was more but mostly I didn't know what I'd do with it. Carolyn, thanks for the idea. maybe my next shopping run. I think Costco usually has both.

I seem to be OK with tripod positions when you have 3 points of contract, but when I go to two, even briefly, I don't do as well. will try to work up from 3 points to two. diane sue, hope your pain goes away. that sounds like a muscle pull. Ive done that before.

Good evening ladies,

Very busy weekend and did not get much exercise in. I am ok with this as I enjoyed the mini break. Saturday I had a ton of errands and sunday 20 mins into my workout my husband decided this was the best time to go look for a new mattress! Seriously?? I ended up stopping because he has been miserable the past few nights with his back and we know the root of the pain is we needed to get a new mattress. So I cut it short, quickly got ready and we were off. Mattresses are so expensive. We found one we both liked and it will be delivered on Saturday. My husband is very happy which makes me happy!

Diane Sue...when we were in Florida we paid 1.96 for organic celery. At Wegmans here we were paying 3.59. Crazy!!! Our walmart now has been carrying organic and the price is cheaper at 2.46. So we are happy to pay this. I was interested in a bowflex tread climber at one time. Glad it has been working well. I have been making steel cut oats in my instant pot and loving it. You have done some good Les Mills workouts. Good for you. Hoping your pain subsides quickly.

Deb...I juiced the celery this weekend and thinking this is the way to go. Must be a really good juicer because I only used a little more than when I blend and we got quite a bit of juice. About 24 ounces which is perfect for Bob and I. Everything I read, the fiber interferes with all the benefits of the celery juice. My coffee consumption has decreased dramatically since drinking the celery. About 75% less. I think I have mentioned how coffee and I were pretty much soulmates. For me to reduce like I have is amazing. Awesome on the fridge. My husband and I usually are the same. We like to check out all our options.

Valerie...funny you should mention the salt in celery. They do mention the salt and benifits. I am like Deb and do not taste the salt but I know it is there. I bought a nordic track years ago in the mid 80’s and loved it. Took up so much space though. Eventually sold it to a friend. I use Chia seeds when I make a green smoothie and mix some in my oatmeal. As carolyn mentioned loaded with omega 3, antioxidants and other important nutrients.

Carolyn...my ex husband had terrible migranes. I feel for all that get them. I am fortunate that I very rarely get a headache. I know I have said this before but I love that you constantly follow Cathe’s rotation. You do such a great job!

Judy...nice workouts. Agree...if you are enjoying Cathe’s spins then stay with it. Funny your neighbors dressed their doggies. I had a nice warm coat for Nilla. It was really cute...black and gray tweed with a fur collar. We bought booties for Chester, but he wanted nothing to do with them.

Have a great night all.

Good morning,

PT exercises yesterday.

Diane Sue, I hope that pain you had yesterday is better. I have a problem with the crisper drawers in my current refrigerator....they have sharp edges too, and if they are opened all the way, they can cut into the door seal. I never even thought to look at how the new one is set up. :(. We have coats for the dogs, but hardly ever use them. We got them for sub-zero weather, but find as we got older, we opted not to go for the walk if it was that cold. The boots are smart if you are in an area with a lot of salt etc to melt ice.

Valerie, the salesperson set up the delivery for January 3. He said it will probably come in sooner, and if so, he will call us to change the date. There was just something I didn;t like about the chia seeds.....I don't remember now, but I know I did not hesitate to toss them. LOL on the Chia pet. :)

Carolyn, what is it about the chia seeds that make you not want to buy them again? Just curious...

Judy, nice that you are enjoying Cathe's spin workouts....had you done any of the Live ones? I still have not signed up again for the Live workouts.

Lori, a new mattress sounds wonderful! We could probably use one too. There are so many to choose from, I don't even want to think about it. If one of us was having back problems that could be because of the mattress we would do it. What do you think it is about the celery juice that is making you drink less coffee?

Take care,

I've seen dogs wearing bootie things. some of the heavy coated breeds can built up ice or snow balls between their toes if they are in snow for a long time. does not have to be "Iditarod" level, but people who take their dogs hiking or xc skiing in snow. I think a lot of dogs would get focused on getting the booties off though.

I tested chia seeds. OK but too skimpy for a meal. I soaked 2 TB overnight in almond milk. it makes kind of a pudding. with fruit and a little sweetener, it would taste OK, but too many points for a teensy serving. I am really hungry in the morning and would want about 4 bowls worth. I will look for some other uses for chia. any ideas even if you didn't like them? I will check EW and WW too.

Lori mattress shopping can be a PITA. there was a stampede toward pillow tops/memory foam for a while. we spent a bunch on a pillow top. WAY too warm. I hated it. I never slept a whole night in it. I'd get up at midnight and go to the guest room, the floor, anywhere but that miserable sweaty mattress. memory foam feels sticky and creepy. they will try to sell you a "mattress protector" but be careful there too. a lot of them radiate heat back and are too warm. if you are "cold sleepers" it might be opposite for you.

when we bought our last two mattresses , many were advertising 'cooling technology" so I was not the only one who got too warm. depends if you're a warm sleeper. "too warm" is a deal breaker for me. the nice thing is the less "technical" mattresses were cheaper, we liked them much better.
also... some mattress/ box spring combos were so tall, I could not easily get onto them. we rented a house 2 winters ago that had such tall beds, I needed a step to go up and down. I was afraid I'd step down at night and sprain something since I could not reach the ground. Lori you are not a tall person either, so something to be aware of. box springs come in different sizes so adjustable. new mattresses might be too thick to use older style fitted sheets.

I took yesterday as a day off. cardio today.

did a pedal power premix for 35 min just before lunch. think I will do something else later. I had to stop, poor DH needs his lunch!

Last edited:
This morning I did a timesaver premix from Kick Max. It was 32 minutes and 224 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 158. I selected the wrong premix and it was shorter than I intended. I didn’t add on anything else because I had errands to run this morning.

Deb, great job with PT exercises. The reason that I wouldn’t buy the chia seeds again is because I don’t use them often. The chia pudding is just “okay” for me because of the texture, not something I love. As Lori mentioned, they are good in smoothies too. I simply prefer hemp seeds for added omega 3.

Lori, you will be so happy that you bought a new mattress even though it wasn’t your idea. I love steel cut oats! I make them on the stovetop then refrigerate the leftovers. It’s very simple to reheat a bowl with added liquid for breakfast.

Judy, nice job with your workouts. Body Max 2 is a great workout, but it is 97 minutes long! I prefer it over the original Body Max because of the music. I tried doing all of it one or two times, but I quickly switched to choosing the part that I want to do, usually step. The step segment is so much fun.

Valerie, I’d love to know how you like the chia seeds. It sounds like the Costco price is good for both. I think that I paid around $16.00 for my hemp seeds. I don’t remember how much the bag of chia seeds cost, but definitely more than $7.00. My bag is 12 ounces and I thought they were expensive.

Diane Sue, I hope you are better today.

I would say so-so on the chia seeds. I used 60 cal almond milk, so some sweetener already in , but would need more. I only tasted a teaspoon of it and did not put fruit on it. it needs fruit and some sliced almonds. since the quantity is small, I think this is maybe a snack for me, not a meal. I like plain yogurt a lot better and can have a decent size bowl for breakfast with fruit for 2 points. 2 TB of chia seeds plus milk is not enough for a meal.
ETA..... its 3 lbs of chia seeds. lifetime supply for $7. the hemp was not as big, might have been 1 lb.

ETA I ate the pudding with a half a banana and a few almond slices. sweetened with a sprinkle of brown sugar, and it was fine. not crazy about it but OK with fruit. I will look around but it did kill my hunger off well.
I did MM chest later today. I'm pleased, used 12 lbs on one set, then 15 lbs without a problem and did 1 set of push ups on my toes. others on knees but I am feeling good with this. the 15's were easy. I tried 20's the other day and those are a little much so time to get out the weighted gloves to transition up. then did Icey core. I like that one, no fuss, but gets the job done.
I will get the hemp seeds next trip.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.