Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/8

Lori it is funny, I like eggs scrambled or fried but hard boiled is stinky! I don't like the texture of them either.
I unfortunately have a small squamous cell carcinoma on my thigh, just found out today. a small surgery to remove it in 2 weeks. 2 stitches max. I know what you mean about worrying. but I had it checked right away so it is not too major a thing. it was itchy and I thought it was an insect bite but after a few months of not going away, I decided to get it checked.

Did a 36 min spin, 100 knee push ups and HR abs for about an hour total.

Carolyn, I signed up for WW again today. I may ask your advice about a few things if that is OK.

Valerie...good you had that checked early!!! Squamous can get nasty if left untreated. The bump I have is about 1 inch long and it appeared from no where. Discovered it one day about a month ago while shaving my legs. She is not worried about it so huge relief to me!

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, since I only had about an hour and a half sleep the night before. I tried to purchase the KCM new workout in the presale, but could not sign in to the site. I could not find my password, so asked that they send the code to change it. They never sent it. Will try again today.

Diane Sue, I use Mrs Meyers geranium scented for a lot of surface cleaning. I bought a large bottle of the concentrate and mix it. That is really nice that your aunt can park her RV and stay. How long will her visit be?

Valerie, sorry I missed something...was it your birthday? I agree on the ingredient lists. Some are so small and blurry you cannot even see them. Your sense of smell is very strong! Good thing that you got that checked...always pays to be careful of things like that.

Carolyn, I hope you feel better today.

Lori, hopefully the shot will help. Good idea to take it easy for a couple of day. That is good news that the bump does not appear to be anything serious. Maybe a hematoma?

Take care,

Deb it's really weird about smells. DH has a much better 'sniffer" than I do. I can't smell rancid or sour smells, like when nuts go bad. I don't smell a thing until they are WAY gone. so he is my official "nut" sniffer so I don't use something too old. we both smell the perfumey smells as hikers pass by. He thinks lavender smells good, and I think it's soapy. he didn't smell the new iphone case at all and I smelled it from 10 feet away before I even knew what it was. so nobody is a bloodhound here. I agree on product labeling and wish it were more universal. I admit I was surprised to see so little info on the Dawn bottle. I hate geranium smell too, and never grow them because I think they smell so awful.

I am scheduled for a small in- office excision of the rest of the lesion in 2 weeks. I got a bunch of bug bites on a hike in summer with a lot of itching, and that's when I noticed this spot, because it kept itching when the other bites went away. it's very small but might require 2 stitches. I've been told I can't exercise for 2 weeks after the surgery but that's not going to happen! I will back off the more intense things that focus on that area but I think that's a generic warning that I will work around. no no birthday here.

Lori there are all kinds of little lumps, maybe a lipoma? or a small cyst? many things come and go on their own but still wise to keep an eye on it.

we are re painting our exercise room and probably getting a new TV and apple TV so I can watch something down there. since we dropped cable we get one channel down there. TV is ancient, a Sony tube TV. only a cable hookup possible. doing cardio has been less possible for me because it only gets one channel and often it's nothing watchable. I'm not that picky but need a few more options as I want to do more steady state cardio this winter and haven't used the elliptical or treadmill as much since I can't watch anything.

I am not working out today. I feel better but I still have some residual dizziness and mild balance problems from the headache.

Deb, I hope that you can sign up for the KCM presale. The price is tempting but I think I am going to pass on it. I have so many of her dvds but I only use one or two.

Valerie, this is a good time to join WW while the fall special is running. I’m happy to answer questions if you have them. Do you have the WW app on your phone? Tracking is a breeze with the app. Updating your workout room and television should make the cardio more enjoyable. The television in our cardio area is much newer than our main tv. My husband uses the treadmill much more than I do and he has to have the tv.

Lori, I’m glad that the cortisone shot helped. Giving your upper body a rest is wise.

Diane Sue, I’m sure that you are enjoying your aunt’s visit. Did she drive her RV alone? I hate traveling in a car for anything more than 5 hours. That’s another thing that causes headaches for me. Of course, an RV is probably more comfortable.

Hello to Judy.

Hi Everyone,

Monday I did Cycle Sweat. Tuesday I did Ramped Up Upper Body and today I did Yoga Relax. Saturday is Chris's birthday and he is taking Friday and Monday off so he will have a 4 day weekend.

Deb-I preordered KCM's new series yesterday. I hope they get back to you about your password. If not, maybe ask on her Facebook page. She seems to respond quickly there.

Valerie-It's really good that you got that checked early. I hope the surgery goes well. I would do the same thing about exercise. I agree, that's probably a generic warning and if the spot is small, it shouldn't keep you from doing exercise that doesn't involve that specific area. It's probably a good idea to take a day or 2 off though.

Lori-I'm glad the shot is helping. I would have been worried about that bump too.

Diane Sue-I've never tried cutting my own hair. I don't think it would turn out well. I've been going to the same salon since I moved to Michigan. I don't mind going, but I would like to save some money and be able to do my own color at home. I might try the Madison Reed Root Reboot and see how it goes.

Carolyn-I'm really sorry about your headache :( I hope you feel better soon.

Judy

Carolyn I was waiting for one of the 3 month specials that cuts the cost to about $35 for 3 months. yesterday it showed up. If I stick to this, I should be close to goal by then. I don't need or plan to lose that much. right away the program seems to work better. I had joined in late fall last year and it was just a mess, with things continually changing and shifting. if things don't work right out of the box, it was discouraging. I kept re entering things and they would disappear, got frustrated and lost interest we started traveling more, and I dropped it... the bar code scanner became a part of the main program and wasn't separate any more, but then it didn't work.

I downloaded the app yesterday and tracked a few things right away. some of the exercises not available last year showed up right away. all my previous food entries look to be there. some I will need to re -check point values as that was jumping all over the place last year.

we bought a 32" TV this morning and an apple TV. since we cut the cable, the basement TV only gets one channel. makes workouts on elliptical or treadmill tedious. there isn't anything to watch most of the time. old TV has a tube. it had a cable connection. we may take it to MT and use it to play DVD.s I expect to only use DVD's there, works fine for that. an old Sony Trinitron.

the phone person told me that if the spot was on a leg, all I could do was walk for 2 weeks. well, that's not happening unless this is a much bigger deal than it sounds like. road cycling should not stress that area. mt biking, might be too much. I haven't fallen in a long time. trails will probably be closed and riding on roads is pretty low risk. I think elliptical would be fine too. activities are all "controlled" ROM ...no wild and crazy moves. after 2 days I will be surprised if I will feel that limited.

Judy, I did a Cycle Sweat premix last night. I miss the count down timer but otherwise it's a good one.

Last edited:
Good evening ladies,

This morning was a bellicon healthy bounce followed with SB’s lower body interval. I am unable to walk GiGi for a bit because she yanks my arms. My husband and son are doing a poor job as my replacement. They walk her but not long enough. They both have come back saying they have no clue how I am able to walk her. She is so strong!

Deb...hope you were able to get your password and preorder. I am so tempted but still holding out.

Valerie...glad you mentioned about the ww promotion. I received that email too and just signed on. I like following and getting my eating in check. We have an apple TV. I think the 3rd generation. I like it that it syncs with my itunes and it makes it easy to cast from my ipad. I will admit though I use our Roku 3 more. The Roku has a usb port so I can insert and play direct from a usb. I use this feature a lot and always take it with me when we vacation. I remember all the bug bites. Thinking these were a blessing in disguise.

Judy...happy Bday Chris! Are you going anywhere for your 4 day weekend together? I just mentioned to my husband we should use our spin bike more. Unlikely he will ever use it but I really should. Can’t remember the last time I did a spin workout. This is the only piece of equipment that I really do not use. I do not regret getting it but I wish I used it more often. I cut my own hair all the time. It is just a blunt cut and I pretty much where it up all the time. I usually have my son or husband even it out when I can’t reach the back.

Carolyn...hoping the dizziness is gone soon. That sounded like a horrible headache. Looking forward to following ww again. The offer they have is great. I am gald you and Valerie mentioned it. I would have missed it in my emails.

Have a great night all!

No workout today. Yesterday I brought my aunt to my house and we had a family dinner here. This morning I went to my daughter's house to visit with my aunt and see her off. We had a nice visit. Then Wednesday family dinner here as usual. So there was no time for a workout. I cooked part of the meal Monday at my house and took it to my daughters. Tomorrow I will get back to normal. I do have my 7 year old grandson here since it is fall break, but I always get the workouts in when he is here.

Lori, I am glad that she wasn't worried about the bump. I have a lump right in the center just below my rib cage. The doctor keeps telling me not to worry about it unless it grows. She says she thinks it is a lipoma. So, I just live with it. It has been there for several years now so I suppose it is not a real worry. I really like the STS Shock cardio Hiit workouts and have not done them much recently.

Valerie, it is always best to get those spots checked out immediately. More likely to have less stitches and scarring. I had one by my nose that I probably would not have thought much about since it was so tiny and right in the crease. It would bleed and just not heal so I had my daughter look at it. It was a tiny cancer. It will be really nice when you get your workout space painted and set up. I added Directv now so we can stream some other channels. Now I can watch Home and Garden or something like that if I want to while riding the spin bike. I recently got the Roku Stick for upstairs so this is nice. I have read that some people are just really sensitive to smells. I like things with nice scents. Of course some scents just are not good to me. I remember some flowery smelling cascade dishwasher soap at one time that was strong and supposed to scent the air in the kitchen. It seemed to adhere to plastics and even the hard plastic glasses would leave me tasting the smell. I quit buying it. Boiled eggs stink and so do scrambled eggs if they are browned and stick to the pan. Funny, my doctor tried some inhaler medicine that she thought might help allergies in places like Hobby Lobby because she said I might be sensitive to the smells in the store/stores and places. It did not help and I think that she was on the wrong track. I thought it was sort of odd.

Deb, I would think that you could still pre-order without having to sign into the site. I don't generally sign in. I am not even sure that I have a log in. I haven't pre-ordered yet, but will get to it soon. My Aunt just stayed the 2 days and left this morning. I like Mrs Myers Geranium. They had bar soap in the Geranium at Homeland and it made my bath smell so nice. It is not overpowering. Just a nice scent. It was nice that my aunt was able to pull through my daughter's drive and turn around to face outward for leaving without removing the car. The only problem was that she did it at night and it got caught under the basketball goal. Us 3 women were out there this morning taking the basketball goal off which is tremendously heavy after multiple attempts at trying to maneuver out from under it without messing up anything on the roof. Only problem was once we took it off it was on top of the RV. I am sure we all looked a bit silly. We got it off 3 hours later when we had my grandson and a friend come home for lunch and help lower it with the ropes we had attached while we tried to pull it away from the side of the RV as it went down. The basket got caught on the edge of the roof and once they lifted up to lower it, I couldn't completely control it. I held it up on one side with my shoulder and my aunt came and helped as we finished lowering. It ended up with some orange paint from the basket frame and a bit of the black design on the RV scraped. I just hope nothing was hurt on top.

Carolyn, my aunt travels all over by herself. She goes from Washington to Arizona to visit her granddaughter through the summer and varies her trips to stop and visit family members on her way. She has always been a very self sufficient tiny woman. She is 81 and you should see her climbing up and down the ladder and hooking her stuff up etc.. She is amazing. She brought me some honey and strawberry preserves :) She says it is black honey. It is dark. She sat this morning and told us all kinds of amazing stuff about bees, the drones, the females, the queen bees and how they all interact. Also that our honey bees are not from here and were bought over by colonists. My granddaughter took notes and was fascinated. Her mother told her it could be her science lesson. I hate travelling in general and do not like driving long drives myself. Headaches are not pleasant. I used to have migraines all of the time. I woke up the last two mornings with headaches and think it is because I have eaten so much junk with all of the family stuff. I think my aunt and I sat here yesterday visiting and ate most of a bag of chocolate flavored almonds from Sprouts. It is not a typical chocolate, but more of a baked on powdery type of chocolate if that makes since.

Judy, I am definitely ordering KCM's new workouts. It just may be this weekend. I have so many things going right now. I may get to it before then. Yes, I have found that Kelly generally answers questions quickly on facebook. Do you and Chris have any special plans for those days off?

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I took my friend for her treatment. I have not mentioned it here, but she has been diagnosed with lung cancer. :(. She is getting chemo right now.

Judy, Nice that Chris is taking a 4 day weekend. Anything planned? I finally got the KCM presale to work! I could not find my password for my account, and the "forgot my password" thing on her site did not work. I tried it 4 times. It never sent me a code.

Carolyn, I hope you feel better today.

Valerie, I would at least just do upper body work for at least the first week or so after the surgery just to be safe. The new flat screen TV's are really affordable now. I have a 32" in my workout area too.

Diane Sue, my cousin bought the Madison Reed hair color at Ulta. It was $25. Not sure what it would have been from the site, but there would probably be shipping. Wow that basketball goal with the RV sounds like a major project! Good that you were able to fix it without damaging anything. There is a book series that sounds like it was written about your aunt. I have read all of them and enjoyed them a lot. It is the Ivy Malone series by Lorena McCourtney, the first in the series is "Invisible"

Lori, funny that your husband and son have a hard time walking Gigi. You must be the strongest of the three of you! LOL

Take care,

Did 30 min on the elliptical yesterday we did a huge amount of walking while shopping earlier.
Moving most stuff out of exercise room and getting ready to paint. We have a weight machine we will try to sell. It’s in great condition but not sure how popular they are these days. Checking with “play it again stores” to see if they will buy it. It’s only piece of equipment we never used much. used it some but not enough for the space it takes up. We both use dumbbells and barbells instead.
Deb, sorry your friend has cancer. hopefully it was caught in time.

Carolyn I made the salad dressing you posted earlier. We both enjoyed it on a a salad with grilled chicken. point value? Do you assume its a standard vinaigrette? This is where I get stuck calculating points, I get hung up in details, and how much I used etc.

Lori it is a bit of work to train a dog to walk at your side nicely. I went to an obedience class at the “y” with my dog. no fun lunging and yanking. also a safety issue if she gets away and runs into traffic. books help also. I didn’t know to train but learned with my dog. everyone is happier if they learn sit,stay,come, walk without pulling I went to a class with about 25 others. Also taught dogs to be in a social situation and pay attention to your commands and not tussle, bark, or be aggressive. someone is going to be the 'leader of the pack" and it better be you! Just saying ... worth the time and effort especially with a big strong dog who wants to be in charge. I get nervous when we ride and we see a dog not under control.... owners struggling with them. she may not mean harm but if she knocks a bicyclist over, or runs into traffic it can get ugly quickly. the process went quickly once our dog learned paying attention to me was important. we took him hiking and nothing worse than a dog who runs off and gets lost. our guy was trained to walk between us with his pack on. he was such a sweetie.

Last edited:
Today's workout was Kelly Coffey Strength and Stamina workout #1, 35 minutes, heart rate 100 average, 138 max, 587 steps, 168 calories. I followed this with Kelly's Body Design Lean lower body segment and cooldown, 21 minutes, 128 calories, heat rate 106 average, max 133, 349 steps Total time was 56 minutes, calories burned 296. I have my grandson here who is waiting on me to help him with some Bendaroos. :)
weights Strength and Stamina
reverse pec dec 15's 12 reps
front squats 2 sets 15's 1 set 30# goblet squats 12 reps
repeat 2 more times
20# kettlebell swings 45 seconds 34 swings

supination curls 17.5's, 20's 20's 12 reps
cardio legs split switch 12 reps 12 reps, 12 reps
repeat 2 more times
one handed kettlebell swings 20# 18 reps left 18 reps right

single shoulder press 15# 12 reps
Dead lifts 25's 12 reps
repeat 2 more times
kettlebell figure 8's 20# 22 passes

overhead triceps extensions 25# x 12 reps
lateral side lunge figure 8 15#, 12 reps
repeat 2 more times
kettlebell alternating swings 20# 30 reps

alternating bench press 20's x 12 reps
bridges 25# db, 2 20# together two sets
repeat 2 more times

Body Design squats 20's 20 reps, reverse lunge 12 reps 20#, dead lift/knee buckle to prevent using back to come up,25's, walkout 25# 16 reps,
front lunge with pulse 25's, dead lift/plie 25#
chair work with 5# ankle weights

Deb, I am so sorry that your friend has cancer. It is such a terrible disease. The Madison Reed haircolor is 25 dollars on their site unless you get auto ship, then it is 20 dollars. I was able to get free shipping for the first time customer so that is how I did it, plus they offer help etc.. I figured that was the best way to go for the first time. I did notice that Ulta did not carry their gloss color product. It is a semi permanent product. I thought I might try it as a refreshment for color on the ends and try not to use color on the ends at all if possible. It has enough for two uses. I was getting a natural haircolor from Amazon that cost me 25 dollars the last month. It is one that popped up on Amazon when I originally was checking if there was Madison Reed available at Amazon. That color still left me with a bit of bumps, burning , and itching. Not as bad as others. Madison Reed caused no problem at all for me. I wrote that author and book down in my agenda book so I can go look it up. I had written it on a slip of paper before and forgot about it.

Valerie, I was always aware that others do not know my dogs nature when I would walk, so if my dog barked or pulled, I took them far around the people or out of sight if possible. Gertie doesn't generally care about the people. It is other dogs and I think more a greeting, I would like to play with you thing. It does bother me though. I hate to take her out with her electric collar on though. Particularly with the choke chain on as well.

My headache is gone and I’m fine today. This morning I did Athletic Step for 49 minutes and 315 calories. Average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate 148. I struggled with some of the steps because I am not familiar with the workout. I’ve only done it once. I enjoyed it anyway.

Deb, I am so sorry to hear about your friend’s diagnosis. It’s wonderful that you can offer her your support during this difficult time.

Diane Sue, your aunt sounds like an amazing woman. It’s great that she has maintained her independence and can travel where and when she chooses. Her description reminds me of a pediatrician in north Georgia who was still practicing in her 90s. She never retired.

Valerie, I’m glad that you liked the dressing. I count it as a vinaigrette but I always measure the amount that I use (usually 2 tablespoons). It’s basically a vinaigrette with herbs and veggies added. I try not to get caught up on knowing the exact points for every item, but I try to get close. I still weigh and measure often because I have learned that over time my judgment of portion sizes gets distorted. I use measuring cups for serving 1/2 cup portions of rice or grains or other foods with points. I have some serving spoons that I got from WW that are really measuring cups in 1/4, 1/2, and 1 cup sizes but they don’t look like it. No one notices that I am measuring portions. I don’t measure 0 point vegetables and I make half my plate vegetables.

Waving hello to Lori and Judy :).

Carolyn, I always just keep moving till I get the moves. I enjoy that one too. I find sometimes if it has been a long time that I stumble through some of the moves, but it doesn't take long to get it and I still get a good workout.

Good evening ladies,

This morning it was all about SB working my glutes and hamstrings. I started off with her Lower Back,Back Body Target 15m. This works the lower back, glutes and hamstrings. Nice little workout. I then went on to Booty Blast Reset Target 6m..this also really isolates the glutes and hamstrings. Final was her 12 min bridge target. I placed a 10lb weight on my hips for more intensity. My legs really felt this workout and still feeling it now. This evening I did a 30 minute low impact bellicon bounce and I really liked it.

Deb...I am so sorry about your friend. My prayers to her and you. Very nice you are there to support her and take her to her appointments. I wish her the best. Madeline once again has bounced back some. She is doing well since changing her chemo pill and actually has put on some weight. Last month we thought the end was weeks away..this month we are thinking she will be around for a little while longer. This roller coaster is crazy. Glad you were able to order the new KCM!

Valerie...I agree with training dogs. When I walk her I am so mindful of our surroundings. If I see a biker or a car I pull her aside shorten the lead and make her sit while they pass by. Otherwise, she would be exactly like you said...she will lunge for the car or the biker and that would not be pretty. I also agree every one is happier with a trained dog. She is so stubborned bit we need to get this is check. Good think about my husband walking her he now gets it.

Diane Sue...i was a little worried aboit the lump. I went on line to research it and immediately saw all the nasty things it could have been so I stopped and said I am not doing this to myself! I will wait and see what my doctor things. I can see how a lump under my ribcage would be worrisome. But if your doctor says not to worry then that is great. I am realizing as I age I get these weird things on and off. Between lumps, spots, soreness, and cracking there is always something!

Carolyn...so glad the headache is gone! I am looking forward to starting with ww again. I find the same thing my portion size they seem to be getting larger. I would like to lose 5lbs. Not much but it makes a huge difference for me.

Hi to Judy!!!!!!!!

Lori, a lot of the time when you go online and start reading worse case scenarios it can cause unnecessary anxiety. I am fine, the lump doesn't bother me. Yes, more skin spots, more lumps and bumps, and things that do not work quite like they used to. We just take care of it and work around those things.

Good morning,

It's our anniversary today....34 years! Thank you for the prayers and kind words about my friend.

Valerie, it is really a bad situation with my friend. She was diagnosed in April, stage 3. She is on her second type of chemo. The first did not work. it sounds like you had a really nice dog. Nothing is more important than having them be safe and training plays a big part in that.

Diane Sue, my cousin was taking her color to a friend who is a stylist, but will do it out of her house. I have not heard from her but will find out today how she made out with it.

Carolyn, glad you are feeling better.

Lori, niceworkout! Also great news about Madeline! I will keep her in my prayers. I try to do whatever I can for my friend, but still feel so helpless.

Judy, thank you.

Take care,

This morning I did X Train all out low impact hiit, 41 minutes, 269 calories, average heart rate 129, max 164, 3,065 steps. I then did Kelly Coffey Body Design cardio bootcamp segment, 17 minutes, 128 calories, heart rate average 132. max 156, 1,701 steps. I finished off with Strong and Sweaty bonus abs, 13 minutes, 47 calories. Total time 71 minutes, 444 calories. Total calories so far today, 5,527. I was going to order Kellys boxed set this morning , but couldn't remember my password and it didn't go directly to my email since I forgot. I will have to deal with it in awhile.

Deb, I hope the color worked out well for her. I got that first book "Invisible" that you mentioned yesterday and have started reading it. It has started out well and caught my interest right away :)

Lori I didn't mean to get all preachy on the dog issue. I love dogs . I love well behaved trained ones a lot more. my aunt had a dog who was well trained when she got him. she never "reminded" him and after a couple years he was totally unruly. he was big (110 lbs) and obnoxious. he was a golden lab. it was sad to see him go from good behavior to the total bad boy. he ran out in the road after something and got hit by a car. she spent a fortune on his surgeries and other problems and it was a relief when years later she had to have him put down.

I did elliptical, push ups and HR abs again yesterday for 1 hr. exercise room is torn apart for a few days.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.