Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/8

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I did have something strange happen. I apparently had an allergic reaction to what we think was a new dish soap I bought. It was pretty scary. My hands and arms got all red, face flushed....etc. It happened the day before, but very slightly, and I didn;t really think anything of it. Yesterday it was pretty bad. I took a couple of Benadryl right away....and of course I was out for a good portion of the day.

Diane Sue, I buy just one ingredient baby food....like beef, or pears, or bananas. Nothing else in it. The strained ones, not toddler. Your day sounds nice, except the part where you could not get warm. Thanks for info on the hair color...I sent it to my cousin.

Valerie, we did not do anything special...actually went to the co-op and bought dinner there and brought it home. He did not go fishing, as he went the day before.

Carolyn, did not realize you were a therapist...what type of work did you do? I can see how carrying stuff like that with high heels could cause some issues.

Lori, it sounds so beautiful where you are. When we went to Cape Cod, we went the weekend after Labor Day, and it was pretty much the same, most of all the tourists were gone.

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Thursday I did Body Beast Bulk Arms and Shoulders. Friday I did Fit Tower Legs, Glutes and Core. Yesterday I did a Yoga Relax premix.

Deb-I'm sorry about your allergic reaction :( That does sound scary. What kind of dish soap was it? I have sensitive skin and tend to get rashes, but mine are usually just one small area, not all over like you had.

Diane Sue-The Madison Reed hair color sounds good. I should look at it. I've never done my own color, but I really should give it a try.
I hate it when I get cold and can't get warm. When I was running and riding in cooler temps that would happen to me a lot. I would be freezing for the rest of the day.

Lori-I hope the cortisone shot helps. Great job with your workouts this weekend!

Hi to Valerie & Carolyn!

Judy

Good Morning,
I have no workout planned for today. Deb, I have allergic reactions to many dish soaps also. It was not always a problem for me and it makes me wonder about the formula changes over time. I should pay more attention to the brands that bother me. I use Mrs. Meyers brand most of the time now. I also use Caldrea and the Williams Sonoma brand when I find a good sale price.

I am a Speech Language Pathologist and I spent most of my career working with children in the schools. I did some medical work, but my heart was really with children. I worked with children with severe communication problems much of the time. When I was promoted to administration I supervised the Speech, OT, and PT programs.

Diane Sue, it’s great that you were able to see some old friends yesterday. When I go too long without eating I just want food! It’s more important to get nutrition at that point.

Hi to Judy, Valerie, and Lori.

Today is a rest day. I am trying to plan and set things up for my aunt from Washington's visit. She will be coming in sometime later tomorrow and parking at my youngest daughter's house since she has a really long driveway. I am going over to her house to help clean up and I need to plan a family dinner over there.

Deb, that is terrible that you had a reaction to dish soap. I usually only use the natural dish soaps. I get Grab Green products from Amazon. Thanks for the information on the dog treats. I had sort of contemplated meat baby food but wondered if it would keep for a few days at a time on the counter top. I do fine with some pumpkin cooked in, I guess like you would do with cookies. I put a little banana instead of pumpkin one day.

Judy, Madison Reed has a mobile app that has voice controlled how to videos with automatic timers. I didn't use it though. I have done my own for years. I never found having it done making it any better than doing it myself. Generally I do just the roots unless I am changing the color or wanting to refresh the ends that have faded a bit, which only requires adding to the ends for the last few minutes. There is plenty of information on their site.

Carolyn, I have used Mrs Myers a lot too. I think people gradually divelope a sensitivity to stuff over time with use. I was reading stuff on Madison Reed about how people can just suddenly have a reaction to hair color when they have never had one. I often will forget to eat and go for long periods without eating, but once I start feeling too famished, I will eat anything. As soon as we walked in the house I grabbed some grapes before we went to get food. My husband thought we were going to eat with the friends , but the guy was part of the set up for these races and show and had to stay around till way after dark. We wanted to get home while there was still some light.
I would think that working with the children would be a lot more rewarding.

Deb I would take a picture of the dw soap label and keep it on your phone to make sure you can identify what might be a problem ingredient. Triclosan was used in a lot of things and caused trouble for quite a few people. I don't think it's used anymore but I never researched it although I did not look for products that had it. I think it was used as an antibacterial agent in soaps and surface cleaners but caused problems. Anyway, I 've gotten in the habit of taking a cell phone pic of things I want easy access to, especially when shopping. I usually use Dawn, not fussy. my skin gets very dry and irritated so I minimize soap contact except when I need to.

I can't possibly remember all grocery items I have in both houses now.... what's in the freezer, fridge, cupboard plus bathroom meds. so I lined things up and took pics. I even took a pic of a paper shopping list we made after our last visit to MT so when we return in 2 months I can access the list while shopping before we get there. If I misplace the paper list, I have the pic. don't like making lists of things on the phone, but a pic of the paper list works for me. we live 30 miles from most stores, so if you forget coffee, it's a real inconvenience!

the lady who does my hair is having cataract surgery next week. I've thought about what a mess that would be for me if she were out of commission for a time. she does that with my hair too, does the roots, and then pulls color thru to the ends for the last few minutes. works nicely, doesn't get too dark and some variation in color so it doesn't look monotone.

No one forgets to eat here. For DH , getting too hungry is a migraine trigger, and so there is no way anyone forgets!

Carolyn, one of my closest friends was a speech therapist until she retired. she liked working with the kids, but the parents were the main problem as I recall.

Good evening ladies,

We decided to come home today instead of the morning. Was rainy down the Cape and same for tomorrow. Made sense to just head home. I am glad we did. We spent most of the day swiming and in the jacuzzi then packed up and left about 3pm. This morning was another mish mosh of workouts...I started with SB’s Feel Good Cardio and Arms, then a Bellicon 25 mins men’s workout. Even though it says it is for men I still do it and love it! I then finished with a SB barre and bounce. Total time was 60 mins/382 cal.

Deb...oh that sounds like a terrible reaction. What brand was it? Hope you find out what the ingredient was that triggered it. The Cape is so different now versus August! We enjoy both times for different reasons but really like October. Not sure if I mentioned I will be going back again in a couple,of weeks for a few days for our annual board meeting. My son and his GF will be coming and we are staying a few days.

Judy...nice workouts for you too! Love that my husband likes to sleep late which allows me to get some good workouts in. :)

Carolyn...very impressive resume. I bet it was hard work and so rewarding at the same time.

Diane Sue...enjoy your Aunt’s visit. Hate when I get so hungry I will eat anything. Sometimes at work I forget lunch until later in the day and then I am famished! Great articles on rebounding and toning on Livestrong.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/433947-does-trampolining-tone-your-thighs/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/395958-which-muscles-does-a-trampoline-work-out/

Valerie...I take pictures of things to remember also. Makes it so much easier for me. I can’t imagine keeping 2 houses!

Have a good night all!

Valerie, I take pictures of things to remember all of the time. If I want a serial number off of an appliance or something I take a picture. It is easy to magnify the size of the numbers when looking for a part. With my shopping list, though, I e mail it to myself and print it. I still find myself making short lists on paper. I did that tonight for a stop at the store before I head to my daughter's. Most days, I have my coffee and greens powder and then workout, do some cleaning that often has me finding extra things to do and it may be 2 or 3 before I sit down to eat. Also a lot of the time I do the workout and stuff and head out to the store without eating, ending up coming home and grabbing something quick till I am ready to sit down. I don't like sitting down to eat with things around me that I feel I need to get done. It takes away the enjoyment. Maybe I am a bit ocd about things, I don't know. My older daughter has to carry something with her all of the time or she will get very dizzy and almost pass out. She cannot go without food.

Lori, thanks for the links on rebounding. I keep reading more benefits of rebounding on health sites lately. Dr Axe has mentioned it a few times and did an interview with SB. I could see going home if it was going to rain. That kills the outdoor activities.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday...we did a bike ride, very short, about 6 miles. It was nice, not hot and a little overcast so pleasant to ride.

Judy, great workouts! It was Palmolive dish soap. I had never used that before. I usually use Dawn.

Carolyn, it must have been very rewarding working with children. I Googled "allergic to Palmolive dish soap" and it is very common. I use Mrs Meyer's for some cleaning, but still use all the "regulars".

Diane Sue, I keep the dog treats in a paper bag on the counter...they are pretty dried out because I want them to be crunchy for the dogs. My cousin and I looked up the ingredients in her hair dye and that is one of them! She is going to look into buying the Madison one.

Valerie, good idea on taking a picture of the label. I just know I will never buy that one again! Do you have a back up hair stylist?

Lori, don;t blame you for leaving the cape early, if it was going to be rainy. That would be pretty depressing there. Did you see much leaf changes while there?

Take care,

Deb it sounds like most likely fragrance in the dish soap. Companies overlap so much with ingredients that whatever you are sensitive to might be in other brands. I’ve never had a problem with Dawn but there are complaints about it too, so not necessarily safer. each brand has several versions so different ingredients . Would be great if you could figure out what ingredient and avoid it.
Good you were able to fit in a ride. We will ride this morning with cousin but their max is 15 miles so an easy day for us. Then I will make us lunch.

No back up stylist. This lady started working out of her house when the salon closed so she is alone. I will get the formula for the hair color she uses and keep it on my phone so I can-do myself or take elsewhere. I can do color but need a cut monthly so should find a back up person I can’t cut my own hair. Trim the bangs. But not the rest.

I use the phone for records of a lot of things. Love being able to enlarge to see tiny numbers and not worry about losing a paper list.
ETA cousin just cancelled out on the ride so will need to do something but not sure when today.
no way would I try to cut my own hair. bangs I can trim but getting it even would be challenging and I don't tryst my DH to do it. I cut his hair, but that is different. most women know how to work with hair where as he might be in a "get- her- done" mode and I'd look like a waif for a month and a half. .

Last edited:
This morning I needed an over all workout so I did Urban Rebounding URX Extreme Conditioning Greg Cook, 58 minutes, 384 calories. Heart rate average 134, max 182. Calories may have been more as my net calories from calories burned calculator had me at 480 calories. This one must have been done at the same time as Cardio Karate was done because it is the same oriental set. I have only done it a couple of times. It has some 5 rounds of rebounding, weights, floor drills, back to rebounding each round is done twice. Pull ups, push ups, goblet squats with overhead press, split jumps with dumbbell moves, dumbbell rows into quick alternating rows...... An over all good workout. I like Greg Cooks workouts. I have 3 of his rebounding workouts. I need to get going here in a bit. Today is a busy day.

Deb, I bake my dog treats till they are crisp as well. I had lowered the coconut oil to 2 Tbs in the recipe I generally use and it still works well. I didn't think Gertie needed that much coconut oil. I have a pet treat cookie jar on the counter that has a seal on the rim that I usually use.My ceramic dog treat jar got broke. I hope the Madison Reed works for her.

Valerie, I have tried to cut my own hair. It generally does not turn out well. I have watch you tube videos on cutting your own hair and it never works. I have my husband do it. He does really well with it. My grandsons come over for hair cuts. I think he has cut everyone in our family's hair at one time. I don't enjoy salons so prefer it. Plus it is hard to find that one stylist that cuts it and I don't go home and have to try to restyle or have my husband help me out. I think I have had two that I really liked.

Today I did Low Impact Sweat 1 and 2 for 48 minutes and 383 calories burned. Average heart rate was 136 and maximum heart rate 169. I did this workout a month ago and the calories burned was exactly the same which is unusual. Heart rate was a little different.

Deb, I can’t use Dawn at all and I can’t use regular Palmolive. I buy Palmolive Soft Touch which I can use occasionally but not on a regular basis. My husband uses a lot of dish detergent so I try to keep something that is less expensive than the natural dish detergent for him.

Diane Sue, I am not familiar with Grab Green but I just looked at it on Amazon. Do you get the fragrance free? I am much like your daughter in making sure that I always have a snack with me. I usually take a few almonds and half an apple when I know that I will be away for several hours. My co-workers would tease me about the size of my lunch bag, but I called it my all day bag. I had a mid-morning snack, lunch, and a late afternoon snack in the bag. That helped me avoid the vending machines and candy dishes that were all around.

Valerie, I also get migraines from skipping meals and getting too hungry. I have gone to the same hair stylist for 25 years. I don’t know what I would do if she was not working. She was unable to work once before due to a hand issue but she would stand back and give directions to the other stylist on doing my hair.

Lori, yes my work was very rewarding. I am still interested in rebounding but I can’t figure out where I would put one. I work out in the family room. I have my larger pieces of equipment in the garage, but I don’t think that would work for a rebounder.

Judy, I like your workout choices from last week.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

I just looked at two containers of Dawn I have. neither lists any ingredients, says "no phosphate" and "fresh scent". it is the teal blue one that is the most common. I was surprised since the soft soap hand wash right next to it has an extensive ingredient list. not easy to read thought with a white print on a clear container. my idea isn't so good if no one lists what's in it! I expect you could find it online? this is weird!. I thought almost everything had to include ingredients.
I don't use much of dw soap, and when I do I use a long handled scrub brush. I do most things in the dishwasher except for big pots. no rashes or irritations but I get dry.

I take a snack along, always when we hike or ride. rather have it and not need it ...than the other way around. DH almost always needs something and I usually get to carry it.

I had to look online to find Palmolive ingredients. They don’t make it easy to compare. I like shorter ingredient lists with things that I understand.

Good evening ladies,

Rainy day here today. Glad we came home yesterday. This morning was a BBS dance cardio dvd. I then did a rebounding workout I made up from clips on youtube. Was a fun workout. I did not use any weights at all today to give my muscles a bit of a rest. However, I am reading more and more that rebounding is considered metabolic with the toning it does. Love this!

Deb...the weather has been so nice the leaves have not started to turn yet. Will be soon though. It is beautiful here when the turn colors. I always by Dawn. Not sure why but I do. Think I will stick with it!

Valerie...I love that I can enlarge to read. Very convenient! Hope you had a great ride with your cousin.

Caroyln..rebounders do take up space. My larger one is always set up in my little room where I watch TV and relax. I love I can hop on at any time. My smaller one is always on its side up against a wall. When we have company hardly anyone comes in this room. So it is fine with me leaving them both where they are.

Diane Sue...I am going to look for clips on Gregg Cooks rebound workouts. BBS’ new rebound dvd will be out soon. I am really looking forward to this one.

Looking forward to my doctors appt in the morning. Hoping I get some shoulder relief!

Hve a great night all!

Remind me again....when is the presale for the new KCM series?

Edited to Add: I guess it is tomorrow. Of course nothing about it on her web site...but all kinds of info on Facebook....not sure if the presale is through her site...I would think it would have to be. Why she doesn't post information there is beyond me...

Last edited:
Good morning,

No workout yesterday and probably none today. I got about 2 hours of sleep last night. Not sure what is up with that. I could not shut off my mind.

Valerie, it could be the fragrance. I am just glad that Dawn is still ok with me. I keep things I want to remember in the "memo" part of my phone...like my cousin's garage door code, so If I need to get into her house to let her dogs out, for example, I can.

Diane Sue, that sounds like an all over good weight and cardio workout. I think that coconut oil that I had started giving to the dogs on a regular basis could have been what set off Keegan's pancreatic issue. Too much fat. I was doing it to help his skin.

Carolyn, funny how we have different reactions to the same dish soap. All these chemicals used today. No, they don;t want us to be able to compare. I would think it was the law that they had to put ingredients on them. I did the same when I worked, I used to bring a big lunch carrier, that had cold packs in it. I brought things like hard boiled eggs for snacks at work during the morning and afternoons..

Lori, great idea on making a rebounder workout with clips that you like on YouTube!

Class this morning, but trying to take a nap first!

Take care,

This morning was STS cardio Hiit 30/30.
I only had 5 hours sleep last night. When I left they were turning her RV around facing out and plugging in the electrical for my aunt. I am going over there in a little bit and bringing her and my grandchildren back to my house while my daughter goes to her Dr appointment. I need to stop at Sprouts on the way. I want to add some baked sweet potatoes to the backed potatoes that I am making with chicken tonight.

Deb, I use the Grab Green with Fragrance. I just got a 3 pack of the pear magnolia dish soap. For Laundry lately I have been using the variety in the eco friendly bag that is called Oak. I love the smell, but if someone doesn't like a lot of scent they may not care for it. Sort of a cedar am pachouli scent. I have used the rose and the geranium as well as lavender which are not as strong. The one powdered one has a nice scent. I poke a hole in the little pods to make sure they dissolve if I am using cool water. I used to think that the fats were good for the dogs skin too. She was gaining weight and I have felt that much fat was not necessary so have experimented with cutting back on it. Yes Kelly Coffey's presale starts today. I haven't had time to check anything yet.

Valerie, I really do not like it when they make the packaging where it is virtually impossible to read the information without extra lighting and a magnifying glass while turning it this way and that to stop shadows and glare.

Carolyn, I prefer to have an ingredient list that is not so long. It makes it near impossible to find the culrit of a problem.

Lori, I hope that your doctors appointment provides some relief.

When you look up allergies to detergents, I saw more than one that said the fragrance is often the issue. good luck figuring out what ingredient is causing the problem though. I have a tough time with 'scented " products. I buy unscented as much as possible but I think I have also read that they use different scents to "mask" the scent rather than leaving them out. problem with lavender fragrance.... taste soap when I smell it. I detest it in food.
I like softsoap but my god.. the list of ingredients is a mile long. one bottle is readable. other is white letters on clear plastic with the soap itself being sightly milky. forget it! unless you know what you are looking for, I'm not sure a list like that will help anyway.

cousin & wife were here for birthday yesterday but didn't want to ride so I ended up doing a fast 20 on the elliptical, and core from HR. not enough but that was the time I had left.

cousin got a new iphone and a leather case. I could smell the case from across the room. very weird. I think my sense of smell is defective but wow.... some things come through clearly. I bought garlic bread from Costco a while ago. I heated it. picked up a piece but before I could take a bite, I tasted it! it was the strangest thing! it was like the fragrance itself had a garlic taste. never bought it again, even though everyone else liked it. hard cooked eggs... I can smell the hydrogen sulfide odor from a mile away. can't eat them. When we pass other hikers on a trail, I can smell them often for a long time after they've passed, almost like they leave a vapor trail.

Lori hope the Cortisone helps. I had relief instantly, before the needle ( BIG fellow) was removed. it was amazing.

I woke up with a headache this morning and I have been dragging all day. I did force myself to do a short workout. I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix workout one for 25 minutes and 192 calories. I followed up with SB’s Barre Power Stretch for 23 minutes.

Hello to everyone.

Good evenin ladies,

All went well at the doctors and I received a much needed cortisone shot. Will be taking it easy the next few days and not using any upper body weights. I also had her look at this weird bump on my right shin. I did not mention anything to you all because I had no idea what to expect. She took xrays and nothing shows so she said not to worry and next month we will see if it is bigger. This was a huge relief! So many things were going thru my mind.

This morning I did a couple of Bellicon Healthy Bounces. 34 mins /238 cal. This was my only workout.

Something must have been in the air last night. I slept horribly too!

Deb...I saw that KCM posted on FB about the presale starting. It sounds like a great set and this pricing is good but I will be passing. I proabbly will kick myself for not grabbing them. But I keep reminding myself I hardly reach for a KCM workout. There are so many others I would rather do.

Diane Sue...I recently mentioned to Carolyn that I love that Shock Training Hiit Dvd. I have done those workouts so many times. Need to pull this one out when I get back into more intense workouts.

Valerie...great you got in a short workout. I always feel better when I can get something in even if it is short. You could never live in our house. We boil eggs all the time. One of my favorite breakfast items! My son hates them though and like you can smell them a mile away.

Carolyn...good choice in workouts this morning. Amazing you did them. Sounds like you had a really nasty headache.

Have a great night all.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.