Pentagenarians & Beyond W/B 1/06

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. PT this morning.

Valerie, I printed that recipe and plan on trying it soon. I just need to buy the roasted peppers. We carry pepper spray since the attack on Kylee, but I think bear spray would be more suited to where you guys are going. Clever way to carry it, so you can get to it easily if needed.

Carolyn, it is odd that others were not charged shipping...I am going to double check..Here it is from my Paypal account:

Purchase details
Purchase amount
$69.96
Shipping
$4.95

Total
$74.91

Diane Sue, what did you think of the KCM body weight workout? I have not really been a fan of those, since besides pushups, I find most moves hard to do. I did the pre-order right away, probably the day of, or maybe 1 day after it was announced.

Hi to Lori, & Judy,

Take care,

I did cardio supersets yesterday. doing toe push ups, and mt climbers using the bench feet. raises me 2 inches. it's like using a step with no risers. harder than knee push ups, not quite as hard as flat hands. my shoulder problem might be related to full range push ups so this is a good compromise

I'm not sure I'm right on that billing. I ordered the lite dvds plus the bonus dvd, also a yoga dvd during the first part of pre sale. The yoga one came a long time ago. it might have billed out separately. It was a gift for DH so I buried the receipt so he didn’t see it. ( hard to surprise each other) I just got the ship notice. I think we pay shipping, but not on extra disks ordered at the same time as a series.

Deb hope you like it. I get EW magazine but have luck from weekly email reminders of featured recipes . When there’s a whole magazine full of new things, I miss a lot. I love jarred red peppers so usually have them. I had toasted almonds and broccoli I needed to use. I admit that's how I often decide what's for dinner.... look for something I need to use, and find a recipe that fits. Watch the timing on the chicken depending on what parts you use. I took mine out in less time. chicken tenders are easy to use but can get overdone quickly.

Last edited:
This morning I did Super Cuts for 46 minutes and 240 calories burned. My average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 148.

Valerie, I plan to try that recipe later this week. I checked to make sure that I have the ingredients for the romesco sauce on hand.

Hello to everyone. Have a great day.

This morning I did Coffey Fit Raw Step #2 40 minutes, 260 calories, heart rate average 138, max 173, met 5.9, 3,543 steps. I then did Raw large muscle finisher which is on my rotation for today, 22 minutes, met 4.2, 102 calories, 221 steps, heart rate 102 average, 156 max?? Total time was 62 minutes, 362 calories, 3,764 steps.
I wasted some time because when I went to the Large Muscle Finisher I kept getting an error. I tried different things and finally the VHX channel would not even open. I tried on my lap top and it would not work so I just did the workout without the video. I have it written down and have done it enough. When I was done I checked and it was back up and running.
Large Muscle Finishe 12 reps each exercise 3 rounds
squat 25# dbs
alternating lunges 15# dbs
bench press with pulses 15# dbs
flys with a turn 15# dbs
1 arm row 30# db
pullover 30# db done rnd 1 and 3(this was missed on round 2 so at the end of rnd 3 kelly ads alternating db rows which I used 15# dbs for
I had to get done and take Gertie to the vet for her yearly check and immunizations. I tried to get some things done so I can go out and pick up some things and come back and cook tomorrow. My granddaughter and her boyfriend are coming to dinner tomorrow evening before she heads back to college.

Deb, I would have thought that you would get free shipping. I just kind of thought it was because I did not order the whole set. I liked the no weight workout. It kind of keeps the heart rate up and gets you moving. She has a new floor workout that she did that blends in some yoga type moves and stretching that is 40 minutes. I have done it once now. The rotation has floor work on it. I think it means the first one though which is shorter and if I remember right has some of the hip and glute type stuff I did on the hips and glutes one that she did when she started on youtube. Since there is a full body weight workout on Friday with this schedule, I am thinking it would be the shorter one. This week has worked lower body quite a lot.

Valerie, I think hand placement has a lot to do with how much the shoulders come into play with push ups. Kelly has one she does with hands wider and fingers pointing to the side she calls duck push ups. I really feel that one in my shoulders and I stay on my knees. I do that with things that I need to use. I have some mushrooms I purchased and need to dig out a recipe asap to use them. I could just cook them and dump over some meat or something. The last tub of them went into a curried shrimp noodle bowl (noodles were broccoli slaw). I had some of that for lunch today since I had frozen some of it.

Judy, I guess it must have have meant something else on the free shipping. It seems the 4.95 is what most of us had paid. I almost ordered the kickboxing one too, this morning, but thought I would probably be charged another 4.95, so I changed my mind. I will wait. Maybe I will wait till they come out on Amazon. That is how I got most of the ice workouts and I did not pay shipping.

Carolyn, good job on the workout today.

Good morning,

PT yesterday for an hour.

Valerie, that way of doing pushups sounds perfect for you/your shoulder.

Carolyn, nice job on Supercuts. :)

Diane Sue, KCM has sure done a good job with variety etc and her streaming. I am almost sorry I did not sign up when she had that summer sale price. Not that I could be doing much with it right now. I watch Cathe when she does push ups and she has her arms wider than shoulder width apart sometimes.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

I know all expert advice suggests making a menu out first, and then shopping but I do it backwards. I buy what looks best and then find a recipe to fit.

I am always pretty wide hands /arms on pushups. when I try to bring them closer, my elbows skew out sideways. whenever cathe says "tuck elbows in", I do the best I can, but my arms don't work like that. I would not be able to do those duck pushups.

we bought two new mt bikes yesterday. we want to keep one set of bikes in MT and one set here. we have been taking them back and forth. this was our present for our 40th anniversary. a little indulgent but we decided to do it. we spent yesterday morning test riding them. DH has more choices than I do. being short, options are limited. I need a small frame size and a lot of models don't come that size because more men than women mt bike. I got another hardtail while DH is trying a full suspension bike.

Deb you are smart to carry pepper spray. bear spray is the same thing but a bigger container and sprays further and longer. even when we do road rides here, we sometimes carry spray. Cans fit in a bottle cage on the bike frame. lots of dogs like to chase things, even dogs who aren't mean, so a bike can be a target even to an normal dog. we have been chased by dogs many times, only once had to use spray. usually we outrun the dog. its dangerous and distracting though. you know what can happen if you get caught. much better to have defense ready. a long time ago a dog ran at me from the side when I was riding. I barely saw him coming before he hit my front wheel and ran off. I didn't fall but I bet that dog lost part of his nose.

Last edited:
Today I did Cardio Slam, the premix with low impact modifications. My time was 50 minutes and 342 calories burned. My average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate was 158. The rotation listed Tabatacise, but this one was a better choice for me.

Deb, I’m still confused by the shipping charges that you and Judy have. I actually looked again at my receipt to make sure that I was correct. My receipt shows shipping method USPS Free Shipping and the charge is 0.00. My order was the same as yours, $69.96.

Diane Sue, great work with Raw Step and Large Muscle finisher. That’s great that your granddaughter and boyfriend are coming for dinner.

Valerie, congratulations on getting the mountain bikes for each other. That sounds like a perfect gift to yourselves.

Hello to Lori and Judy.

This is a quick check in. I really do need to get to the store and get started on things for dinner this evening when my granddaughter and her boy friend come. I will come back after things are started.
I did Rapid Fire 3 Rock Steady Rock Hard premix Bonus hard core bag, 36 minutes, heart rate average 116, max 174, 1,402 steps, 205 calories, met 5.2. She always has some great routines, abs and stretch :) I felt like I needed more cardio so did some from the chapter menu, section 1 and the tabatas, 15 minutes, 103 calories, met 6.2, average heart rate 128, max 160, 1,100 steps. I finished off with the Raw Floor work on my rotation, 26 minutes, heart rate average 93, max 128, 81 calories, met 2.9, 141 steps. Total time was 77 minutes, 389 calories, 2,643 steps.
Raw floor work (this is not the newer one)
each move done 4 times most use a loop band timed at 30 seconds with 10 rest
clamshell with loop 4 sets on the right then 4 on the left
push ups with a pull back (she keeps the band on but it is not really used, just to save time)
hip lifts with loop band variations of bridges, pulses knees open and close
figure 4 hip lifts no band
sit up knee pull alternating sides
triceps push downs kneeling and using a loop band
biceps curls kneeling with knee on loop and curling pulses
I ran to the store again and picked up another package of beef spare ribs and will make those in the Instant Pot with Hassleback potatoes and a salad. Maybe some extra veggies.

Valerie, happy anniversary. Buying something that you both love is a great anniversary present for yourselves. I only recently realized with the Les Mills Spin workouts that I needed to make adjustments in my seat height and placement. It felt so much better. They give a little demo of making sure how high your seat is etc.. before the workout starts. It may not have always been off, sometimes the knobs get twisted by those wanting to see what it does :)

Carolyn, I think that Tabatacise is a workout that you need to feel ready for when you do it. You made a good choice.

Thank you for the well wishes. our anniversary was actually Dec 20 but it always gets overridden with all the other holiday noise, we decided not to do anything until all that was over. this worked well for us to waiting until stores were not busy and a halfway decent weather day to ride around big parking lots.

I ordered the new series on 10/31. I dug out my paper receipt while looking for something else this morning. the Lite bundle plus pyramid pump was $78.93 with free USPS shipping. I ordered the yoga disk at the same time , and it was $22.97 with free shipping because ordered same time.

Diane sue, the more you ride, the more you realize how important riding position is. something that's OK for 5 miles might be unpleasant for 25. spinning is intense so you would notice wrong placements sooner.
the same factors go into buying a new bike like we did. the bike itself is quite adjustable, but you need to start with the right frame size for your proportions. some people are long arms and torso, some longer legs, and each bike manufacturer figures the angles a little differently. Trek makes frames for women. this is my third Trek bike. they make a 15 or 15.5 inch women specific frame. keep in mind some women will do better with a mens' frame. once frame size is right, then you can tweak fine tuning. my DH is not tall but his torso and arms are longer so he rides a bigger bike than I do even tho our inseam is the same.

Good evening ladies,

I had to take a couple of rest days. I had 2 back to back early morning meetings. Was hoping to bounce at lunch, but that did not happen. I am very excited about the Lite workouts. Hoping to start a rotation next week.

KCM is still charging 6.99. This is such a great deal. Hoping this price stays put.

I only bought the downloads for the Lite workouts so no shipping. But it sounds like it should have been free shipping? Perhaps Judy and Deb selected UPS instead of USPS? This could be why the charge? I will download them this weekend. I try and wait until after the mad rush of everyone downloading. I find it goes smoother.

Valerie...Happy Anniversary!!!! My husband and I both enjoy the Golden Globes. I completely get why you would want a set of bikes in MT. Makes complete sense to me and will make it so much easier for you both. Thanks for the recipe. Looks like something my husband and I would enjoy.

Deb...I love being able to check in on GiGi. Although, she pretty much sleeps the entire day. She lays by the gate to torment the cat. She stays there all day. Not to be a bully but just to make sure the cat knows she is there! We find this funny. We can talk to her if we want, but choose not to. We think this will confuse her. We are loving the cameras, however, as soon as we get home the ones inside are turned off untill we go to bed.

Diane Sue...thank you so much for the rotations. I appreciate them. I noticed when I spin my seat needs to be at a perfect height and tilt, otherwise I am miserable.

Carolyn...Tabatacize gets my HR going! I love it but also so relieved by the time I get to the last tabata and know the end is near. My husband and I started taking turmeric capsules. After reading all the benefits it is a great additiion. I think you mentioned you take turmeric? So far I am still going strong with my daily celery juice every morning!

Judy...its hard to continue on with a workout when interrupted. Sounds like you did a great improvise!!!

Have a great night all!

Valerie, I would definitely need a bike for women. I am 5'4 and have a short torso. Shopping after Christmas was probably much better than trying to look and deal with crowds.

Lori, I know usps postage was 4.95. It was way more for UPS or priority etc.. Sorry that you did not have time to bounce at work. That is funny that Gigi kind of taunts the cat to let it know she is there. Does the cat react at all? I thought Kelly's Raw rotations looked pretty good. I hope she does more as she gets more workouts out. I am looking forward to some others she has planned. Tumeric is good for all kinds of things.

Good morning,

I was in a lot of pain yesterday, maybe from the PT the day before. I did not do anything, mostly laundry, and between, I was on the couch.

Diane Sue, I am not worried about the $4.95 shipping cost that I paid for the Lite series, but just curious as to why it would be different for others. I posted a question in the other forum. I think there is always free shipping on orders over $50.

Valerie, Nice getting those new bikes!! Happy Anniversary! The perfect gift to each of you! :) I am like you, when Cathe does tricep pushups, and says to keep your elbows tucked in, mine still flare out a little. Yes, been carrying the spray since Kylee as attacked. Thankful we have never had to use it yet.

Carolyn, Good job on Cardio Slam. I really like that Cathe put a low impact premix on that one. Mystery solved! Apparently you had to select Free shipping from a drop down when ordering, and I inadvertently selected USPS $4.95...:).

Diane Sue, those ribs in the Instant Pot sound like they would be great. Depending on how I do with the new DVD's I may think about the KCM streaming, but would probably do Cathe's first. I really miss my LiVE workouts.

Lori, I am sure you got enough steps etc at work to cover anything you missed by taking off 2 days of workouts. :). I agree, I don't think you should talk to Gigi from the security system. She may think you are in a different part of the house and want to find you!

Take care,

DH and I both spin on the same bike but completely different positions. I mark my spots with a sharpee so it’s quick to reset. He wants handlebars 3 -4 inches higher. seat higher and farther back. Once I got my settings I marked on the bike frame so i can reset quickly .
like Gigi ....Our neighbors cat sits right outside the electric fence line to torment the dog. It works! Drove their dog crazy ! Too funny to watch because it’s so clear the cat knows exactly what it’s doing and enjoys it

Did chiseled upper body yesterday. I had s Derm followup appt that went well, then Costco , then my hair appt so did workout around 3. I have gotten to like afternoon workouts. Keeps me from snacking before dinner and I’m warmer and looser than in morning. I go thru CUB quickly and have upped weight and reps for many exercises. I still don't like the windmills but do them with 5 lbs just to move thru.

I have a long list of possible series and movies from the GGs . I don’t care much about who won. I use it as a screening tool to find movies/series others have enjoyed. I use the list thru the year to help find good things to watch. there is still plenty of junk out there and I'd rather not waste time . we're watching Mrs Maisel right now. I love it! also Jack ryan. I don't love that one but DH likes it enough to keep watching. I usually don't criticize people on appearance, but the lead actor annoys me a lot.

The plan is to test new bikes this morning. Mine is a new style with bigger tires called a Roscoe. Bikes keep evolving so I hope I like it. DH got a more spendy full suspension bike . I can’t put a rear carrier on it so had to stick to a hardtail ...a bike without suspension. my carrier connects to the rear wheel and not possible with a full suspension bike.

Last edited:
Today I did Lean Legs and Abs which was 51 minutes and 192 calories burned. Average heart rate was 105 and maximum heart rate was 147. I had forgotten that I like this workout. It’s not one that I think of on my own.

Deb, I’m glad that you figured out the mystery of the shipping charges. I agree, it’s not he amount of the charge, but more the “why”. I hope you are feeling better today. It seems like your hip should be getting better by now.

Lori, I use turmeric powder in tea and in seasoning certain foods. It has good anti inflammatory benefits. It was smart of you to take a couple of rest days. It helps your body to recharge.

Hello to Valerie, Diane Sue, and Judy.

Hi Everyone,

Tuesday I did Pedal Power Timesaver 1. Wednesday I did Barlates Cardio Sculpt Fusion and yesterday I did Yin Yoga and Yoga Tune Up Shoulders. I downloaded the LITE workouts this afternoon and did the Extended Stretch 1 along with the Barlates Posture Improvement workout. I love the extended stretch! I previewed the bonus ab workouts and they both look great!

Deb-Thanks for starting that thread about the shipping. I'm sure now that I just missed where it said to choose free shipping and I chose the $4.95 option instead.

Valerie-That's great that you got mountain bikes for your anniversary! I've always ridden a men's small frame. I tried the women specific frame once and it felt too small to me.

Lori-I'm really excited about the LITE workouts too! I tried turmeric capsules last year and they bothered my stomach so I didn't keep taking them.

Carolyn-Great job with Lean Legs and Abs! That's another one that I should do more often.

Diane Sue-I wish turmeric agreed with me. Maybe I should try another brand.

Have a good night!

Judy

Good evening ladies,

This morning was the current LEKfit bounce for this week. I was up early so was able to do both upper and lower intervals. Felt good after not working out the past couple of days.

I ended up downloading the new workouts today at lunch. Figured why not try and they downloaded quickly and had no problems. I previewed all the calorie crushes and loved them. Especially the all band one which uses fire loops the entire time. The crushes are under 15 mins and will be sure to get your HR up. I also previewed, cardio party and the band workout. Cardio party to me looks like it will be a low impact sweat fest. Looks funs. I am will have fun making some custom premixes.

Deb...I saw your post about postage. Good you started it to help answer. I am so sorry you are still getting so much pain. Are you sure the PTplace where you are going is helping? Reason I ask, is a while back I had bicep tears and was in PT forever it seemed. I ended up switching places and it was like night and day. Just thought I would mention this. I think you would like the Raw workouts. Kelly has a built great library in such a short time.

Diane Sue...I will definetely will be making ribs in the instant pot. I saw a few recipes on youtube that looked amazing.

Carolyn...never thought to put in tea. Will have to try this. I have been reading a lot about how it helps with Alzheimer’s and yes inflamation. So why not add it in.

Judy...Cadio Sculpt Fusion looks great. I saved that when it came out. I really like Linda’s personality. Her workouts can be really tough! I am going to preview the stretch workouts right now. Hoping I can adjust to the turmeric. My husband started taking them also.

Have a great night all! Hi to Valerie!!

we rode for 1 hr 35 min with the new bikes. my bike is a little different, the top tube does not drop as low, the tires area little bigger and wider. I get better traction but I think its a little harder to go uphill. so a trade off. helps in one way vs a slight neg in the other. they had another womens bike but it seemed less solid and more of an entry level bike.
you pretty much get the bike company the bike shop does business with. our place uses Trek. they have Specialized but sounds like they are not into mt bikes too much anymore. REI features different brands, but for service, the REI store is a bad traffic drive for us, and service is important for bikes. every bike company seems to do their own ideas for mens and womens bikes. Im pretty short about 5'2" on a good day. short torso. mens bikes usually are too long a reach.

Judy I looked up turmeric supplements today and the stomach upset issue was one of the drawbacks. I've never taken it but have toyed with the idea especially for DH. his stomach is not as tough as mine. I am, so far, bulletproof. I don't think I abuse it, but generally meds etc are not a problem for me. he has issues easily, can't even take advil. so I've hesitated to try turmeric for him.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.