Penguins Win Stanley Cup

beemerjen1

Cathlete
My family and I are so excited that the Pens won the Stanley Cup!! We used to live in Pittsburgh and loved it. Hubby grew up in the North Hills!! It was a great series and Detroit was great too,but so glad Pittsburgh won!! Wow 2 championships in one year Pittsburgh must be rockin'

Cheers to all you hockey fans! (are there any hockey fans in Cathe land??)

Jen

DH and my daughter love to watch hockey, and they are thrilled the Penguins won. I watched last night's game with them ~ wow, those last 6 seconds (with the face off) were intense! I actually had chest pain!!! :eek:

Huge Red Wings fan here :( It was not a good night around here. It was a really good series, though. They were all pretty much nail biters down to the last seconds!!

Good hockey! Wings in '10!!! :)
Jenn :)

Sidney Crosby is a keener in the exercize room

Dear beemerjen1 and Laughting Water,
I used to live in Pittsburgh (the north hills area), and I am always happy when a Pittsburgh team wins a championship. I went to Duquesne University, and used to watch the university team play at the old Civic Arean (is that the Mellon Arena nowdays, where the Penguins play)?

I now live in Maritimes Canada, and know a grad student here from Nova Scotia who knows minor leage hockey players who trained with Sidney Crosby, in his old home town of Cold Harbor, Nova Scotia. They swear he is an ultra-keen fitness fanatic in the weight room -- especially training with squats. It goes to show you that champions start out by training diligently in the gym room.

Jenn, good luck with the Red Wings in 2010. For my money this was the best Stanley Cup final in the past 10 or 20 years. It was good for hockey.

By the way, Canadians up here are crazy over Sidney Crosby. They had a big celebration in Cold Harbor when the Penguins won. The Penguins victory was the first item on the national newscasts.
-- David

Boston Bruins fans here! Yes, no matter how badly they are doing! Love hockey!

Congrats to the Penguins!

Tricia

Great hockey is a good thing!

I agree, David!! This was the best Cup playoffs in years!! It is good for the sport, especially since hockey is still hurting for the fans from before the strike.

I will always be a Wings fan, but I also love good hockey!! A great series, a great win (well...3 for us and 3 for the other guys...who now have the Cup!!), and it came down to seven games!!

I am glad that we have some hockey fans here!! :)
Jenn

YAY!!!! I was born and raised in a northern suburb of Pittsburgh, still have family living there and remember the very beginnings of the Pens (yes, there I'm showing my age). I would have loved for them to win at home but it's still sweet. And Mario still looks H-O-T!!!!

P.S. Interesting coincidence that the Pirates were playing the Tigers the same night the the Pens played the Red Wings. One win out of two isn't bad, I guess, particularly when it meant winning the Stanley Cup!

I'm a former Detroiter and I was devastated by the loss!:( Oh, well. Wings win the Stanley Cup so often, I suppose that it's only fair that another team gets a chance every so often.;)

I'm surprised to see that there are a few hockey fans here. And Tricia, you have to admit Tim Thomas was pretty awesome this year. <breaks into South Park mode and yells "Timmmmaaaaay!">

Hi cataddict
Love your screen name! You are so right Mario looked pretty darn good the other night and it was great seeing him hoist the cup again! My husband remembers the old pens in their blue uniforms. My very first hockey game was Pittsburgh vs Detroit and Mario and Steve Yzerman were in their rookie year.

Jen

Hi cataddict
Love your screen name!
Jen

I come by it honestly--I've got 4 indoor rescue cats and 1 outside that we had spayed and now feed. My now DH was more concerned about my cats liking him than my parents!

Back to hockey, I am sure the 'Burg is rocking. I remember in 1979 when the Pirates won the World Series (in 7 games, just like the Pens!) and the Steelers won the Super Bowl. It was one big celebration for a long time afterwards.

Oh, and David, yes the Civic Arena is the Mellon Arena--it was renamed when the bank paid for the naming rights.

It's good to have hockey fans here. I now live in the south and the only hockey we have here is at the minor league level AKA Thug Hockey.

Another happy to see the Penguins won. Great finals series ! Detroit always has great teams and this time they just didn't play the best game, even though they were on home ice.

Love Sidney and his playing.

Am very happy to have an ex Red Wings coach with our local team - as you can see by my signature ! ;)

Now to wait for the next season to begin in a few months - kinda have withdrawals during the summer around my household. Cathe will def get more of my time for a while ! :p

I am not a huge sports fan, but I like to watch when the home team is playing. I am a Michigander and was of course rooting for the Wings, but the Penguins just played a better game. Congrats to them! :)

Sigh. I am a die hard Wings fan from Detroit and was heartsick on Friday night:( Finally over it today. It was a great series and hopefully garnered the NHL lots of new fans-we need 'em! Kudos to the Pens-they played their hearts out.

Jacque, I'm with ya on the withdrawls! My husband and I were just lamenting there'll be no sports til Michigan State football starts up in late August/September! We'll just have to watch the Detroit Tigers:)

Jen, my first major crush was Steve Yzerman! I used to make hockey scrapbooks filled with newspaper articles, pictures, etc. I have so much Red Wing stuff-even one of #19's hockey sticks-autographed and everything! Told my husband he's the only man I'd ever leave him for;) Still harboring my childhood dream of being a color commentator/analyst for the Wings-maybe one day!

Let's go Red Wings!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.