Our Yosemite Trip

buckeyegirl

Cathlete
Hello all,

Well, we did it! We had such a splendid time in CA and Yosemite. My leg held up very well - used hiking poles, sometimes two!, which helpd tremendously. I hiked up to 5-7 miles per day, and really didn't have much pain, just some numbness and weakness, but that didn't stop me!

We did Las Vegas, an express trip to the Grand Canyon and then spent 6 days in Yosemite. If you haven't been to Yosemite, you MUST go. Put it on your bucket list, folks. It is AMAZING. It was a life changing vacation that our family will never forget.

Yesterday, we even got a brief 5 hour tour of San Francisco by my cousin - rode on a cable car, ate some clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl, and watched the sea lions - all the touristy crap;)

Now, it's back to reality. Damn. But, I just wanted to report that we made it and I survived...sciatica, hernitated disc and all ;)

Heidi

Great news!

Heidi,

I'm so glad that you were able to enjoy your trip. We did road trips out west for 5 summers straight when the kids were younger. It was amazing and a reminder if how beautiful this country really is.

Tracy

P.S. Not to in any way diminish the beauty of the east either. We hit the Catskills, Adirondack Mountains, and the Whites last summer and are planning to return this summer.

Wow, what an amazing trip. And, I am so happy to hear you were able to get aroung okay and stay very active. Wish we were headed out to do the same trip...it sounds like so much fun! Thanks for sharing.

Glad you were able to enjoy your trip. I was in San Francisco on Friday and did a 3 hour whirlwind tour, while waiting for my husband to fly in. It had been awhile since I had been there, and DD and I had a great time. As for Yosemite, definitely a must see. I only went there when I was a kid, but would love to go back and doing some hiking and enjoy the scenery.

Jean

That is wonderful!!! Sounds like so much fun. I just love living in California!! I can't believe I've never been to Yosemite. Did you hike with a group?

Hello all,

Well, we did it! We had such a splendid time in CA and Yosemite. My leg held up very well - used hiking poles, sometimes two!, which helpd tremendously. I hiked up to 5-7 miles per day, and really didn't have much pain, just some numbness and weakness, but that didn't stop me!

We did Las Vegas, an express trip to the Grand Canyon and then spent 6 days in Yosemite. If you haven't been to Yosemite, you MUST go. Put it on your bucket list, folks. It is AMAZING. It was a life changing vacation that our family will never forget.

Yesterday, we even got a brief 5 hour tour of San Francisco by my cousin - rode on a cable car, ate some clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl, and watched the sea lions - all the touristy crap;)

Now, it's back to reality. Damn. But, I just wanted to report that we made it and I survived...sciatica, hernitated disc and all ;)

Heidi

What a wonderful trip Heidi. I enjoyed reading about it. I did a similar trip many years ago and loved it too. Thanks for sharing and welcome home.

Thanks everyone. It sure was hard to go back to work today and act like I has happy to be there:confused: Especially since it's muggy and 86 and out there it was so nice and dry..no bugs...no clouds..

Janie - we hiked as a family mostly. However, we did do an interpretive hike one day with a guide. There were 12 of us, and it was great. The guide knew so much about the history of th area and was really into the conservation of national parks, leavineg no trace, etc. You could tell he was really passionate about his job, and that sure added to the experience.

I just took my digital cards in to have the pics developed -- all 600 of them:eek:

I'd love to post a couple on here but forget how - anyone care to refresh my memory how to insert pics in posts?

Thanks,
Heidi

It's great that you were able to hike and enjoy your vacation in California. As a resident of the state, I agree that it is beautiful (Well, the parts you visited are. We've got our ugly too...)

Now that you've seen Yosemite, I would recommend putting Alaska on your must see list. We went last summer and are heading up there again this year. It's absolutely breathtaking and so, so pristine.

Of course I'm trying not to think of the fresh bear scat on the trail to our campsite.......

Elaine - Alaska is on our next must-do trip! Either that or Glacier NP and Yellowstone.

I'm not dissing Disney, but I know so many people that go to Disney yearly with their kids. I'd take a national park ANY day. Disney doesn't interest me in the least.

Now, to try and get over this time difference and try to get some sleep!

Heidi

Glad to hear you had a great time! Now, I can't wait. Just 18 days to go until we are there.

Would you mind letting me know how much water and other items you carried with you on your hike?

Alaska was our original plan, but once we figured the out our cost, I decided to hold off this one until next year. Instead, I decided I would rather take a longer vacation with the same cost and do the national parks, roadtrip CA and NV.

So glad you were able to fully enjoy your trip.

Yosemite has been on my list...would love to see some pics if you can post them.

Heidi, I'm so glad you had a good time. My DH, sister and BIL are planning a trip to Yosemite next summer. Did you do all your hiking in the park? Do you have any books on hikes in Yosemite to reccomend?

We went to Yellowstone a couple years ago and had a great time. If you plan to go there, try early June. The crowds aren't crazy because most kids aren't out of school and all the wildlife has babies. We saw elk, buffalo, moose, antelope, grizzly bears, black bears, and wolves - and all with babies.

Robin,

We did do all our hiking in the park. We were hoping to do some outside of the valley like up on Tioga Pass, but there was still 3-4 feet of snow up there. It was crazy - one day we were driving thru 110 degree heat, and the next day we're having a snowball fight:eek:

PM about the books - I don't have them at hand, but do have some good ones. If you PM me, I won't forget :)

Someone remind me how to post pics and I'll do post some great ones!

Heidi

I have a great book on the Sierras that covers day hikes and soft beds (my type of camping). An absolute must is the hike to the top of Yosemite Falls. Hit the trailhead by 7 AM to get to the top by 9:30/10:00 to avoid most of the crowds and heat.

Another must is the hike to Vernal and Nevada Falls.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.