OT: What kind of work do you do?

I work in dental office administration...I used to be a dental assistant, but find this aspect of the field much more challenging! People + fear/apprehension + money...I never know what a day has in store for me :) I really enjoy it.

I'm 37, but still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up! Too many things interest me & I'm immobilized by indecision! Someday I want to do something for the "fun" of it...salary be damned!

Ginny

I fell into my job actually. I went to a community college for 2 years but just didn't know what to do with myself, so I began working as a security officer. I then thought about becoming a cop so I started with a Sheriff's Office working in the front office. After 4 years almost of that, I became very antsy and needed to get moving from out behind my desk. With luck and experience combined, I landed my job.

The job description itself though requires experience in the legal field, HS diploma or GED + additional education desired, 6 months-1 year exp in investigation techniques or equivalent combo may be accepted. I also speak Spanish so that was a definite plus. It is so helpful where I live

I would only need a license if I were to do private investigation, which I would love to switch to someday in the far away future.:)

I am an actuary for a property/casualty insurance company. The short and oversimplified answer is that I look at historical claim information (sliced and diced about eight million different ways) to project what the ultimate cost of those claims is going to be. I also do all sorts of studies of the company's business to provide senior management with a clue as to how the business is performing. It actually is more interesting than it sounds (most of the time, anyway).

Shelbygirl

I'm a freelance artist. I do mostly custom paintings for residential homes and commercial businesses. I also will sometimes do murals and faux finishes for clients. I have a line of work featured in the Smith and Noble catalog.

Brenda

Medical editor (translation: I write propaganda for pharmaceutical companies). :) Actually, it all has to be supported by published, peer-reviewed studies, so there's a limit to how bad the propaganda can be.

Nancy, it is legal in pretty much all states to homeschool your kids. And yes, that means they don't go to public school, and the government allows it. I am in PA which is one of the more strict states when it comes to homeschooling. I have to fill out an avidavid every year including objectives for each subject per each child that is of mandatory school age (in PA that is 8), have an evaluator, keep a portfolio of all my boys do for school (basically a sampling of their work in each subject) have a letter from my evaluator that says they progressed in that year and if it is a testing year then have the test results. I then turn the portfolio in to the school district for them to look over.

Most people homeschool for religious reasons but a few just want to have more control over what is taught to their kids. Some don't want their child taught about evolution, or abortion, or other alternative lifestyles (please don't be offended anybody). We could send our kids to private school but that is costly and homeschooling is a cheaper alternative.

Kids get socializaton through church, clubs, organized sports, swimming lessons, arts and craft classes, co-ops, music lessons, choirs and the like. We homeschool for the reasons listed above in the 2nd paragraph.

The government can't tell us how to raise our kids. And in some states where the school system isn't very good kids can get a better education at home. Homeschooled kids get into college, trade schools and go onto acheive great things.

Some homeschoolers choose to put their kids into public or private school for High School while others will homeschool all the way through.

I hope I have answered some of your questions.

:7

I am a Special Agent with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), for the past 14 years (my oh my, how time flies). Plus Mum to a 2 year- 4 month old firecracker toddler. Being a Mum to a toddler is FAR more stressful than my job, and my work has put me in some very stressful spots. Nothing compared to having a 5 week old with pertussis, turning blue from coughing and not being able to breathe, or finding out 3 days ago that my girl is EXTREMELY allergic to penicillin. Ayiiahh!
Let me deal with dirty cops or crash through a drug dealer's door any day compared to worrying about the Princess!

Nancy,
As Annette said, it is legal. My oldest daughter will graduate next year and has never stepped foot into a public school. Although she will have to go to a public school to take her SAT.
Texas is very leniant with homeschoolers. When we first homeschooled, we lived in Michigan and it was a bit more strict. I'm not sure if MI has changed at all though.
My two oldest children are doing Video School. My son's papers are graded and sent back to the school as he is on the accredited program. My teen does a few video classes and a couple dual credit courses with a college so when she finally enters college, she will enter as a sophomore.
My two younger girls are taught on the computer using programs. I also teach my kindergartener and my 3rd grader math, english, & spelling (she NEEDS it).
Sorry, I'm rambling. I said all that to say that I don't actually do much of the teaching, just a lot of reffing (sp?). (Hmm...maybe I should invest in a black and white striped shirt.)

I teach Hi/Lo classes with endurance strength work. (Have learned TONS & TONS from Cathe!) I have taught for many years and went out on my own about 4 1/2 years ago. I was blessed to be able to do this when my kids were small so I just drug them along with me to play in the nursery while I taught. I am also a MOM to two great kids, a NANA to the two MOST beautiful grandkids & WIFE to the BEST guy in the world!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I am a wife, mom to 3: a 19 year old son and two daughters; 16 and 13 years old, and a high school Spanish teacher, working on my masters degree in the summer. Wow, that makes me tired just to read it! I love everything I do, though!

i just started this year doing all the bookwork and everything that doesn't require manual labor for my dh's business in indutrial sales and services. it's very boring and i'm very needed., so it balances out. i feel fortunate to be able to work at home and i have a pushover for a boss}( :p

jes

I am a veterinarian. Full-time small animal practice. I take care of all small mammals (rabbits, rodents, ferrets,etc) as well as dogs and cats, but no birds or reptiles! I love what I do!

Very interesting jobs! Deborahsaipan, do you live in Saipan?

I am a SAHM of 2 boys, ages 22 months and 4 years. RN by profession. I will return to work in a couple of years, maybe. :)

Lori

Wow so cool so many SAHMs and happy with the decision :) Very nice.

I'm a Program/Project Manager. Mom to 2 wonderful kids - son 16 and daughter a freshman in college.

Agree with everyone the kids are DEFINETELY the most important.

I am an Human Resources Coordinator (Recruiter) for a cruise company.

Oh yeah, per Dr. Laura, "I am my cat's mom" (no kids yet).

Valerie

Maddie!

SAHM=Stay at home mom!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

My job isn't as glamourous as most of the others on here. I work at a men's state prison. Sit behind a computer all day long. It's pretty boring but I like my co-workers a lot. 9 more years till retirement. Sigh.

Jeanette

I'm a SAHM to three kids: 4, 10 and 12. I do lots of volunteer work but have recently gotten a part-time job as Director of Development at the YMCA. A good friend of mine and I are sharing the job and are basically in charge of raising fund through special events. It's been a lot of fun so far!

I am a molecular virologist and co-founder of a biotech that I help run. Our platform is RNA interference and we are focused on developing anti HBV and HCV products for chronically infected patients.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.