OPRAH'S TALKING ABOUT HER WEIGHT, AGAIN!

Lots of people are really hurting in more ways than Ms. Oprah could comprehend and they don't feel it necessary to draw attention to themselves to such a degree she does. Suffice it to say I am not a fan.

DITTO!! :D

Back in the 80's I loved her show, because she seemed like a real person. Now I can't stand her. She's completely self-absorbed and acts as though every word out of her mouth should be met with reverence.

She's doing this for ratings, period. Everyone knows she's gained the weight back, we do have eyes ya know ;) but now she's throwing a pity-party for herself. She should clam up, put her head down, and get to work doing what the rest of us do without a brass band cheering us on: eat less, move more.

I agree, Jonahnah!

First, I'm not an Oprah person. Not an indictment of her, I just don't care for any talk shows on TV or radio.

That said, you know what's missing from Oprah's routine as posted above? FUN!! Where's the fun stuff?? Kickboxing, step aerobics, hi lo, Zumba, Turbo jam, hip hop abs, barre work, spinning, you name it. It's all grind your face stuff--who the hell wants to do that 6 days a week? She needs cardio coach for machines and some classes in a gym to get her groove on. Try kettlebells or crossfit or bootcamps. Maybe even some dvds! All work and no play makes Oprah an unhappy woman.

I actually don't think her routine was that outrageous or harsh, but I bet a woman used to being in charge like her just HATES to be told what to do every frickin' day.

Look, I just finished Amy's KBX. (Well, 62 minutes of it then I surrendered.) But I was HAPPY while I was doing it. Amy's adorable, the music is pumping, the kicks are flying. It's all good! I love fun cardio and I don't think Oprah was having any fun at all which is the surest way to burn out on exercise and make it drop to 1000 on your priority list.

I think she needs another trainer.

Man, you took the thoughts right out my head...Oprah has long said she hates to exercise, and I've long known that she thinks it can't be fun, no doubt thanks to what she's been taught by Bob Greene. His methods are as extreme as those of the trainers on the Biggest Loser - pure torture. No one can keep up a program like that indefinitely...there's no plan for maintenance. As for the food plan, she's gotta know that she can't eat junk all the time, that's a no brainer. She just has to decide that she wants to be thinner more than she wants to have her junk. That's true for all of us. She can accept her body type, but still scale it back so she is not a candidate for a stroke, diabetes or a heart attack.

It just proves that money can't buy you everything. She still has to do her own exercise & control her own eating habits. No one can do it for her.

As for the food plan, she's gotta know that she can't eat junk all the time, that's a no brainer. She just has to decide that she wants to be thinner more than she wants to have her junk. That's true for all of us. She can accept her body type, but still scale it back so she is not a candidate for a stroke, diabetes or a heart attack.

It just proves that money can't buy you everything. She still has to do her own exercise & control her own eating habits. No one can do it for her.

ITA!
When Oprah was thin and doing food shows, she would take a bite of everything then moan and groan in sheer delight. Her food addiction is really easy to spot.
I know. I love the junk food just like she does, but I hate being fat more than I like the food.

Why is it that celebrities can never do anything without it being freakish and extreme? Oprah with her workout that's essentially a full-time job, Madonna with her thing whatever the hell that is, and didn't someone here post something about Gwenyth Paltrow's basically no weights workout? You do a gazillion reps while pinching a weight the size of a Tic-Tac between your fingertips or something? It's all silliness.

Sparrow

Why is it that celebrities can never do anything without it being freakish and extreme? Oprah with her workout that's essentially a full-time job, Madonna with her thing whatever the hell that is, and didn't someone here post something about Gwenyth Paltrow's basically no weights workout? You do a gazillion reps while pinching a weight the size of a Tic-Tac between your fingertips or something? It's all silliness.

Sparrow
This pretty much sums up my feelings on the topic. I'm not a big fan of Oprah. I don't take anything away from her charitable work, but she always leaves me with the feeling that she uses her audience to work through her problems and dysfunctions. I just don't care for that. And she isn't particularly responsible with her celebrity. She invites you on these journeys that have little to do with good health or fitness and people flock to it because they trust her and take her word as gospel. Yikes!!

We all know what Oprah has done for charity, don't we? Why - because everytime she does something she has to make a big announcement about it. Yes she built the school in Africa - we know all about it because she produced a tv show about it.

I used to watch her here and there over the years but after watching the show about the 50th birthday party she gave to herself - I was totally turned off. The amount of money she spent on her own bash would have been enough to build more than one school!!

Plus, almost everything that's given away on her show is from the company themselves, not Oprah. Like the cars - given by Pontiac - not Oprah.

Yes, I feel bad she struggles with her weight - welcome to the club.

That said, you know what's missing from Oprah's routine as posted above? FUN!! Where's the fun stuff?? Kickboxing, step aerobics, hi lo, Zumba, Turbo jam, hip hop abs, barre work, spinning, you name it. It's all grind your face stuff--who the hell wants to do that 6 days a week?

I agree.

I'd quickly get sick of working out on a treadmill (I only do so as a warm-up, when I'm travelling, and even those few minutes are long enough).

Oprah has often said she hates to exercise : I can understand why.

Lots of people are really hurting in more ways than Ms. Oprah could comprehend and they don't feel it necessary to draw attention to themselves to such a degree she does. Suffice it to say I am not a fan.

ITA

(but I have to write this so the message will post!)

Yep - another Bob Greene-ism

Is he the one she got the "no food after 8 p.m., NOT EVEN A GRAPE crap from ?

Yeah, she got that from Bob Greene. Bob, dahling, it's not about stopping your eating after 8PM, it's about your calorie total for the whole day! I eat after 8PM every single day of the week - it's not smart to go to bed hungry.

Yeah, she got that from Bob Greene. Bob, dahling, it's not about stopping your eating after 8PM, it's about your calorie total for the whole day! I eat after 8PM every single day of the week - it's not smart to go to bed hungry.

AMEN!!! Though I think it was actually 7pm wasn't it? Talk about totally impractical advice for anyone who is not a celebrity or celebrity trainer! Between kids/work/spouse/commute most people don't even begin to think about dinner until 6 pm! I always had this image of these poor Oprah viewers who were trying to lose a few pounds coming in the door after work and hauling arse into to the kitchen to get a meal together before 7 pm when the calories would pull a Cinderella and morph into something horrendous.

Sparrow

I thought it was 2 hours before you go to bed? I would stay up all night if I had to follow those rules:p:p

I thought it was 2 hours before you go to bed? I would stay up all night if I had to follow those rules:p:p

No Kidding! I eat at all hours of the day and night. Sometimes I'll get up in the middle of the night and eat a bowl of cereal. I wouldn't last a minute on any sort of plan that wouldn't let me eat after a certain hour.

That said, maybe Oprah brings her weight issues to the forefront every time she gains weight back because she wants to help others. I'm not saying that her advice (or Bob's) is the best or even the answer, but I don't really see anything wrong with her putting it all out there and maybe helping someone in the process.

I feel sorry for her. It's got to be tough to have your weight problems right out there for everyone to see and discuss.

Actually, I think her yo-yo dieting and weight issues is discouraging to the average woman. They're likely to think "If she can't do it with all the resources available to her, what chance do I have?"

Oprah

Too bad one of Oprah's "favorite things" isn't pushing away from the table once in a while. :rolleyes:

OPRAH'S BOOT CAMP
Trainer Bob Greene Shows No Mercy

Cardiovascular Workouts
Six mornings a week: Forty-five minutes of aerobic exercise, including at least two of the following: power walking on a graded treadmill (up to 10 percent), jogging, elliptical exercise, stair-stepping or rowing.

Four or five evenings a week (before dinner): A 20-minute workout using one of the above exercises. These sessions gave Oprah a chance to reflect on her progress toward her goals.

Once a week: On a day with no strength training, Oprah replaced her usual aerobic exercise with a 75-minute run.

Strength Training
Four or five times a week: Thirty to 40 minutes of strength training, usually two days in a row, followed by a day off. Oprah preferred to train before her aerobic workout. Her warm-up: a 15-minute power walk.

Day One
Squats: Three sets of ten using 50 pounds of weight. Remember: This is a customized program; these weights may not be appropriate for everyone. (Works the buttocks, quadriceps and hamstrings.)
Leg extensions: Three sets of ten using 60 pounds. (Quadriceps.)
Leg curls: Three sets of ten using 60 pounds. (Hamstrings.)
Chest presses: Three sets of ten using 50 pounds. (Chest.)
Incline presses: Three sets of ten using 40 pounds at a 45-degree angle. (Upper chest.)
Lat pulls: Three sets of ten using 50 pounds. (Upper back.)
Seated pull-downs: Three sets of ten using 50 pounds. (Biceps, chest, and shoulders.)
Standing flies: Three sets of ten using 20 pounds. (Chest.)
Seated rows: Three sets of ten using 50 pounds. (Back and shoulders.)
Back extensions: Three sets of ten on a back-extension device or a Roman chair. (Lower back.)

Day Two
Shoulder presses: Three sets of ten using ten-pound dumbbells. (Shoulders and upper back.)
Lateral raises: Three sets of ten using ten-pound dumbbells. (Shoulders.)
Frontal raises: Three sets of ten using ten-pound dumbbells. (Shoulders and arms.)
"Thumbs down" raises: Three sets of ten using five-pound dumbbells. (Shoulders—rotator cuff—and arms.)
Standing cable-cross curls: Three sets of ten using 20 pounds. (Biceps.)
Rotary torso: Three sets of ten on each side using 20 pounds. (Abs—obliques.)
Back extensions: Three sets of ten. (Lower back.)

Abdominal work
Every Day
Incline crunches: Three sets of 30 at three increasingly difficult inclines.

Stretching
After every workout, Oprah did stretches for her whole body, although 80 percent of them focused on her legs.

Before you try an intense exercise program, consult a trainer and your doctor.

I would need two trainers to get me through all of this!!:eek: No wonder she fell off the wagon.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.