Opinion of Les Mills Combat dvd's

amyd

Cathlete
I'm looking to add some more workouts to my collection and am curious how people who own these DVDs like them. I'm wondering how they compare to Turbo Fire which was one of my favorites, before I became obsessed with Cathe's workouts :). I have the Les Mills Pump workouts and do enjoy them too.
Amy

Hi,

I own love and am addicted to BB Les Mills Combat I own everything in the Ultimate Warrior set minus the gloves. I will be adding those soon. I have completed the 8 week program and now am doing my own thing still using the Combat workout but just putting together my own workouts using them in conjunction with Cathe or Pump. I do own all Turbo Fire workouts and have completed at least 1 or more rounds of it. I really like TF workouts, they are fun. Now to compare TF to Combat is crazy, because I can't. It's like comparing apples and oranges, yes both workouts are great forms of exercise they are not alike at all. I do enjoy TF but its an advanced version of Turbo Jam more intense and more impact. Les Mills Combat is not your dancey kickboxing workout it is more of a MMA inspired workout with alot of authentic kicks, punches, knee strikes etc... If you love kickboxing and boxing workouts but really want more of a real MMA feel you will love this. If you think this is basically the same as Turbo Fire, your wrong and will be disappointed. I went into this knowing they are not alike and new what to expect from using the cardio Combat workout from Pump. I was not disappointed in the least. I'm addicted to Combat and love it. As with Pump the instructors know and execute correct form always and do offer modifications for each and every workout dvd. I truly am impressed with Les Mills and what they have worked on with BB. I love Dan and Rach you may remember them from Les Mills Pump they were also in several of those dvds. There is great energy and fun with Combat, its a workout I sweat buckets doing and do it with a smile on my face jonesing for when I can do Combat next. I do feel the Advanced Combat dvds are worth it and definitely add to the program. There isn't one complaint I have about Combat only that I want more... My recommendation is if you find that you would like more of a authentic MMA feel workout go for Combat. I have nothing against TF its just a very different sort of workout and its great but entirely has a different focus and appeal. Both are awesome in their own right but again depends on what your likes, and needs are. I love Combat and recommend it highly. Heck I finished the entire program 2 months ago approx, and I'm still doing it, Love it! I hope that helps!;)

Nora

Just a note....saw the infomercial this morning (I watch those things on the weekends, for entertainment :eek:)

this one is half price @ 60.00, that's not bad, too bad I can't do that at the moment, base building doesn't include high intensity cross training at the moment, it would be great in a few months.

If you have the $$$ & you want it, it's a good buy right now, thanks for the description Nora.

Hi;)

I'm back to answer some questions about COMBAT. No, you do not need a lot of space to do them in. I use them in my workout room which is a bedroom. I would gather a living room average size would be plenty enough room. Its not a huge space issue with this workout at all. Also, someone asked if there were a lot of high impact jumps etc... I'd say no and I can say if you are fearing impact like Insanity definitely not, not even remotely close. In fact they do have jump knee strikes but like with every single move that is high impact in COMBAT there is a low impact modifier so no worries at all there. You can do step, step, knee strike without the jump part. You will always see a modification offered for all and every high impact move throughout even the HiiT workouts and the advanced extra dvds like Lower Body Lean Out and Upper Body Blow Out, so no worries there either. I know that the last two nights I've seen they are just now airing an infomercial for COMBAT so definitely watch those to get an idea or just record it to watch later. COMBAT and Les Mills are so addictive you can't imagine not doing them just mixing them up differently to keep it interesting. In the advanced extra dvds not included in basic kit (you will have empty envelopes for those ones) there are some burpees and bear crawls but even with those they do offer a modifier doing a low impact version or easier version. So with the burpees it would mean taking it slower and taking out the jump all moves that offer low impact are shown with modifier doing them. I appreciated the modifier for all those moves. I found I could do all of them but the jump knee part that one I still need to work on, but no my knees did not kill me or anything like issues I had with Insanity. So to conclude if you are concerned about high impact moves you do not need to worry with COMBAT they have you covered with a low impact modifier. They really thought this out and addressed these concerns very well. Les Mills does teach a huge variety of different group fitness and with that in mind they are aware of various fitness levels within that group and show modification, which I think is essential and more effective. Don't be afraid of combat it is awesome and so much fun you forget your exercising. Its da bomb!!!:D

I hope that answers your questions ladies and reassures your concerns.

Nora

Hi Laura,

You can find them at either beachbody.com or at totalfitnessdvds.net on both websites they provide info on different package options and what is included and not. here's the link on the different workout calendars provided in the workout guide with purchase. Different Les Mills Combat Packages

I have been getting a lot of questions about the different packages and was only linking to the basic one. Here are the links to the Supreme & Ultimate Combat Packages.

Les Mills Combat Review - Intense Workout with Les Mills please go to the middle or end of the page their it has link to individual workout calendars. Some come with gloves some do not and indicate so. Also as a FYI if you purchase the basic program there will be empty envelopes those are for the advanced or ultimate warrior 2 DVDs with 4 workouts. In my opinion if you want the absolute best results and can do the program barring physical issues then I'd opt for the additional workouts. I first purchased the basic program then bought the ultimate warrior DVDs separately and I just now 3 months after completing program ordered the gloves. So I speak from my own experience and I'm not a beachbody coach or have any affiliation with them. Now I would recommend actually watching the basics DVD provided and trying the moves they do show slowly the moves and tips to do them safely. Also all the DVDs even the HiiT workouts and advanced workouts all show a low impact modifier with every DVD workout in the program. Its good stuff and well thought out in my opinion. I love it and am a graduate and still doing it I love it so much, so good luck with your fitness journey and most importantly be safe and have fun.;)

Nora

Hi,

Just got these yesterday and I did the first workout this morning ( combat 30 ) before Burn Sets Bi and Tri.

Oooh. I like it! I wanted something I can do that's not too hard to mix things up and this was a nice early morning start that made me sweat and didn't make me cancel my Burn sets.

It was pretty fun too and the form was great.Not annoyingly repetitive. ( Turbo Jams : Gosh I hated those ! Though Turbo Fire I luv...great music,cute girls,skinny abs... Fun)

These guys aren't cutesy though. I hesitated for a long time. But now I'm glad I got them! Recommend.

Hi,

Just got these yesterday and I did the first workout this morning ( combat 30 ) before Burn Sets Bi and Tri.

Oooh. I like it! I wanted something I can do that's not too hard to mix things up and this was a nice early morning start that made me sweat and didn't make me cancel my Burn sets.

It was pretty fun too and the form was great.Not annoyingly repetitive. ( Turbo Jams : Gosh I hated those ! Though Turbo Fire I luv...great music,cute girls,skinny abs... Fun)

These guys aren't cutesy though. I hesitated for a long time. But now I'm glad I got them! Recommend.

Hi is turbo fire diff from turbo jam? I got bored with turbo jam

Hi,

I didn't like Turbo Jam. You would work one side for a long time then do the other side. It was boring to do. It just seemed endless.
Plus she kept telling me I was having fun.
I was pretty sure I would know if I was.

Turbo Fire isn't boring. It still worked one side and the other but not as long. The music was good. Plus they showed a lot of abs which was motivating. I liked that you had short and long workouts...some Hiit...some steady.
But it does go fast so good form is hard to do and if you are the kind who wants to get the choreo perfect then you may get annoyed. But if you just want cardio and are easy going...it's all good. It's only exercise.

I liked Turbo Fire. I hated Turbo Jam.

Hi Laura,

Also all the DVDs even the HiiT workouts and advanced workouts all show a low impact modifier with every DVD workout in the program. Its good stuff and well thought out in my opinion. I love it and am a graduate and still doing it I love it so much, so good luck with your fitness journey and most importantly be safe and have fun.;)

Nora

Thanks for the great breakdown on these. I love that there is a low impact modifier for all workouts. This is pushing me over the edge to purchase these.

Thanks for the great breakdown on these. I love that there is a low impact modifier for all workouts. This is pushing me over the edge to purchase these.

Christina, Less Mill is a lot of fun. I did Less Mill Compact 60 min, I followed the low impact modifier and it kicked my butt. ;) Even the ab workout had a modifier.

Hi

Power Kata 45 minute workout today and it was really fun! Time flew and I laughed when the girl spoofed Turbo Fire's punching bag with the hip gyration moves.

The guy does act a bit silly but he grows on you and they do have really good form. They made kickboxing fun.

Hiit 1

This is a very solid time efficient workout. It used db for the first section of upper body ( cleans, squat and press, rows to dead lifts ) this is where one review came to mind where someone wrote that the guy verges on psychotic...but i have to say, he is funny.

There is the lower body section of squats with a little jumping...not long enough to be annoying...just the right amount. Some plyo lunges or regular ,its up to you. There were burpees...with push ups and a forward jump. sets of 8 x 3...so it can be done.

Then planks.
Cool down.

Clearly not Insanity or Cathe but a really good intermediate fun set of workouts that offer an alternative and variety.

Last edited:
I am doing the happy dance

I literally just got these off ebay for $81.99 - 7 workouts plus the bonuses - no gloves. Now I hope I like them.

I hope you like them! I am on week two and so far all the workouts I've tried have been really good.

I liked the Hiit workouts ( usually I shy away from Hiit and plyo workouts but these were very reasonable ) I am no extremist.

The Core workout was good. Nothing weird or too much.

The 60 minute was fun! I wasn't too sure at first if I wanted to do 60 minutes ( I'm a 30-45 minute kind of gal ) but they had 4 instructors lead this one and that was a good change.

I did sub lower body Tri sets for last week's lower body only because I was finishing off Cathe's XTrain/LIS rotation ( LIS portion being abandoned ) and wanted to get the weights portion completed. Plus Lower body Tri sets really destroys me and I didn't want to stop doing it. Been at it religiously and still hobbling from it today!

Combat is a well thought out and laid out program. Some complain that it's not hard enough. I'm very pleased with this set. It doesn't make me dread working out and once I figur out what days to stick XTrain weights...things will be tank toppy!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.