One Marriage, Two Candidates *Semi-Political*

LaughingWater

Cathlete
Anyone else out there voting opposite their spouse?

I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, but as Election Day draws near, things are getting a bit testy in our house. Both of us coming from families who have mainly voted for one party, I'm not surprised in the least that my husband is leaning in that same direction. I don't bother trying to talk him out of it. I honestly don't care. Hell, if anyone understands this particular party's way of thinking, it's me.

He, on the other hand, is stunned that I'm voting for the opposition and isn't being gracious about it. It does no good to explain myself, as he always has an argument for everything. :rolleyes: He alternates between affectionate teasing and outright badgering. I can take most of it, and I bite back when necessary, but it's getting annoying.

Please tell me I'm not the only one. As I cried (jokingly) to my brother and fellow opposition-supporter on the phone, "I'm in enemy territory now!"

oh yes, i'm also from a mixed marriage. my husband's family has worked with their political party for years and i definitely go the other way. thankfully, everything has been respectful so far and i don't expect that to change. it sure is frustrating though!

DH and I have opposing views on things that lead to great, fun debates, but the issues that are really important for both of us lead us both to vote for the same candidates typically (the primaries we didn't agree on, but we have fun making up ;)).

However, my sister and her SO will be spending the election night apart since they are on complete opposite sides of the spectrum. He doesn't want to be around her if her candidate wins and she doesn't want to be around him if his does. They can't even talk about politics without getting into a fight, I mean a REAL fight. Neither one of them are very mature about it, IMO, and instead of talking and sharing for enlightenment they do it to be superior and to prove themselves right. :confused: It is a good thing we only have elections once every 4 years for president, though I don't really understand it when you love policies more than people.

Missy

Lucky!

I'm lucky that my DH and I agree, but many in his family don't, so they pile it on us when they get a chance.

I won't argue about it with them, but DH can put up a good fight. ;)

Do you ever wonder how Mary Matalin and James Carville have stayed together for so long? I'll bet they have some heated debates!

Thankfully, my husband can't vote (he is a UK citizen). However, that does not stop him from telling me how wrong I am about who I am choosing to (I think) vote for.

Carrie

my parents

My dad, the died in the wool republican.
My mother the red diaper baby go-alonger commie.
The trick is they don't discuss politics. They have been together for forty years and married over 30 so I guess it works.

And me. The radical that no party wants. The hard part on both of them is that I can out argue most points. But I'm an extremist in many situations. That said I am leaning in the Obama direction. I wasn't. But I am now. I may be the only one in the house that is.

Someone once asked Mary Matalin about that, and she replied that they go out of their way to NOT discuss politics.

Here's the odd thing: My husband and I agree on most issues, social and otherwise. The difference is he is hesitant to break ranks.

My husband and I are on the same side of the fence, but my mother and I are not, and it's really caused some stress. I feel like she is even avoiding talking to me lately. I hope things get better after the election (in so many ways).

And, can I congratulate everyone here for starting a political thread that has no opinions about the candidates inserted? Way to go!

-Beth

I don't look at it as loving policies more than people. My politics are based on some real core values that I hold, and it would be very hard for me to be with someone who felt differently. I have friends of different political persuations and it's no problem, but we aren't building a life together and sharing a home. But that's just me. It seems to work out just fine for some people.

I have a friend who had a hard time with her husband during the last presidential election. It got really heated. It's a different story this year; he won't be voting for same party that he did last time. (And she had nothing to do with that decision!)

My DH and I only voted for the same presidential candidate in the 2004 election. Same with my in laws. (and we've been together since 1985) They've ALL come over to my side of the aisle now and we are all supporting the same ticket this year.

Before my DH agreed w/ me, we would just joke about canceling out the other's vote. Not a biggie in our marriage.

I don't look at it as loving policies more than people. My politics are based on some real core values that I hold, and it would be very hard for me to be with someone who felt differently. I have friends of different political persuations and it's no problem, but we aren't building a life together and sharing a home. But that's just me. It seems to work out just fine for some people.

Ditto to the above ~ although we disagree on other things non political and those can be heated arguments as well.

Anyone else out there voting opposite their spouse?

I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, but as Election Day draws near, things are getting a bit testy in our house. Both of us coming from families who have mainly voted for one party, I'm not surprised in the least that my husband is leaning in that same direction. I don't bother trying to talk him out of it. I honestly don't care. Hell, if anyone understands this particular party's way of thinking, it's me.

He, on the other hand, is stunned that I'm voting for the opposition and isn't being gracious about it. It does no good to explain myself, as he always has an argument for everything. :rolleyes: He alternates between affectionate teasing and outright badgering. I can take most of it, and I bite back when necessary, but it's getting annoying.

Please tell me I'm not the only one. As I cried (jokingly) to my brother and fellow opposition-supporter on the phone, "I'm in enemy territory now!"

Oh Lori- I married a total opposite 7 years ago....Every 4 years we go thru long periods of silence;) The one thing we said 7 years ago & still "chant" today...... I love you & I respect & value all our differences. Now lets stop talking about it & eat dinner!":eek: having said that...This year has by far beeen the most challenging to "hold my tongue";) When DH didn't "hold his tongue" 2 weeks ago I reminded him that he cant sleep with the next Pres so get over himself- he aint changin' this girls mind - not one bit!

Here's the odd thing: My husband and I agree on most issues, social and otherwise. The difference is he is hesitant to break ranks.

We do as well Lori- Our core values are indeed the same- its just the method of arriving at them that we are day & night on.

I think its good (and often necessary) to have opposing views on the "how we get there"...It keeps my mind open + it keeps me active on Factcheck.org!:D

Hi all! Luckily my husband and I pretty much agree. I just sent my vote in and asked him who he thought I should vote for and he was as stumpted as I was. Obama makes a lot of promises for the struggling middle class american but can he deliver??? MCain I'm indifferent to he has the "war" experience but let's face it he isn't exactly a spring chicken and I don't know how I feel about having Palin for a runner up president. I am a registered republican but neither candidate floats my boat. Either way I'm just excited that this election has encouraged a lot of Americans to get involved and vote because I think voting is a privilage that all Americans should take advantage of.

Hi,

Speaking of which, how about California Gov. Arnold (Republican) and his wife Maria Shriver (Long time Democrat, niece of Teddy Kennedy). They must have interesting marriage.

Penny

My DH and I have similar views on most things political, social, and economic. However, it often results in our voting for different candidates because we rank the importance of these issues differently. But because we agree on the basic principles, our discussions are usually pretty helpful as we work through our decisions, and we never argue about it. Kind of the best of both worlds.:)

(Now discussing these things with our families, THAT'S a different story!:eek:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.