OMG i just quit my job

kariev

Cathlete
i don't know where i'm going to work next nor do i have a lot of money in the bank but i do know that i was very unhappy where i was to the point where i dreaded going to work. I was being forced either to be a manager (which i have NO experience) at a physical therapy clinic that is 80% spanish speaking only (i don't speak a lick of spanish) or to be a floater meaning i would have to alternate 4 different clinics throughout the week which is not what i signed up for when i took the job. I'm very scared about what the future holds but i just couldn't do the job anymore. I wanted to start the new year off on a positive note. I do have a recruiter who is searching for me. I hope i did the right thing but i couldn't go on one more day knowing in my heart i was so unhappy. Sorry just needed to vent a bit.

Wow....well, I'm sure you'll be happier now and something better will come along. I wish I had the guts to do it; I'm not really happy in my job either. I can't imagine going to work everyday doing something that you love. My dream job would be a vet; getting to work with animals all day. I swear, if I ever win the lottery, I'm opening a HUGE animal shelter/kennel. In high school, I was deciding between mental health and vet school. I chose wrong. :(

Since the job changed on you, you should be eligible for unemployment. Good luck finding a more suitable position!

Wow! Congratulations on that big step! At least you can move forward with a lighter heart and great attitude ... I think it's terrible to be stuck in a job you don't like. Sometimes making a drastic move will help you toward a much better place. Best of luck to you, and I hope you find the most amazing job ever!

i don't know where i'm going to work next nor do i have a lot of money in the bank but i do know that i was very unhappy where i was to the point where i dreaded going to work. I was being forced either to be a manager (which i have NO experience) at a physical therapy clinic that is 80% spanish speaking only (i don't speak a lick of spanish) or to be a floater meaning i would have to alternate 4 different clinics throughout the week which is not what i signed up for when i took the job. I'm very scared about what the future holds but i just couldn't do the job anymore. I wanted to start the new year off on a positive note. I do have a recruiter who is searching for me. I hope i did the right thing but i couldn't go on one more day knowing in my heart i was so unhappy. Sorry just needed to vent a bit.

Good luck to you - I'm sure you will do well. A word of caution - do not trust recruiters to find you a job. They don't get paid by you and they will only work on your behalf to the extent that they think they can make money off you. They are notorious for being super positive that they can place you in the job of your jobs, you spend tons of time on them and it turns into nothing, or worse. I had a recruiter tell me that I was a "shit" for changing my mind about a job I had accepted that she had recruited me for. I decided she was right, stayed with the job and had to quit it two months later. She didn't mention that I was the 5th person in the past 3 weeks that she had placed in the job (the rest quit immediately- guess they were smarter than me) and that the boss was an intimidating, cheap ass jerk from hell that would expect me to do all kinds of things that had nothing to do with my job. Oh yeah, then the recruiter told the person that she sent to replace me why I left, and the person told my boss. The kicker? I gave up my dream job so the recruiter wouldn't think I was a "shit". Says as much about me as it did about the recruiter, I guess.

thanks guys. i feel guilty like i should have just sucked it up but i just couldn't. Thanks for the advice about the recruiter. The person i am using has placed several people I know and they are very happy so i'm comfortable with her. I hear ya on recruiters though, some are terrible. I'm a firm believer that all things happen for a reason and hopefully it will result in a great job. As a physical therapist, i want to find somewhere that really cares about the patients. The place i was at was a corporation and only cared about how many people they could get in and out to make the most money. it was like a mill. i'll keep you all posted. i'm sure i'll land on my feet.

You've done what I've wanted to do and still do for a very long time. Everyday, I go to my job stressed out with the weight to prove it. Right now, I'm in school to earn my MBA in a different field and I plan to move to a different city as well.
Check on unemployment like a previous post and check online for jobs, I use Indeed.com
Keep us updated on this.

I'm sure you have very mixed emotions at this time : relief about getting out of a situation that was unpleasant, and uncertainty about the future.

I also believe that things happen for a reason, and this could be the opportunity for you to find something that brings you joy and fulfillment. Something that brings the adage "if you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life".

I'll keep you in my thoughts during your new job search.

Good luck! At least you don't have to dread getting up every morning! With what you do for a living, I don't have any doubts that you will be able to find something more to your liking relatively soon!

I'll be sending positive thoughts your way!

Hi Karie,

I'm so sorry that the position didn't work out for you. It's such a bummer when companies hire you to do one job, then change your job description completely! :mad: I'm sure you'll find another position that you love--hang in there. You worked very hard for your PT certification so it's completely understandable that you want to put it to use where it will do the most good.

Take care and good luck!

I did the exact same thing you did. I also applied for unemployment and got it. However, I had to fight for it. The unemployment office will always side with the employee and it is up to the employer to prove you do not deserve it.

I was out of work for one year and lived off of my savings and unemployment. I was single. It was a tough time in my life. I have had some horrible employers since then too. Now I have made sure to have another job before I quit my old one! Employed persons are much more attractive to potential employers than unemployed persons. But if I hate my job I would probably do it again!

I have had good experiences with recruiters. I found my current job through one and have been there for four years. The recruiter is just as motivated as you because they get paid to place a person in a job. It is a win, win for everyone. I know there are some bad ones but most are pretty good.

Definitely apply for unemployment. Like another poster responded, since your job changed you should be eligible to draw unemployment. State laws vary, but if your job changes, to an employees detriment or to the job has changed to where it is "unreasonable to the average worker/employee", you should be eligible to draw unemployment benefits. Your now former employer may protest, but that is their right to do so and the state has to give the employer a chance to do that. Don't be suprised if they do just that and protest your claim. You'll have your chance to protest their protest.

Also, just want to add, at the risk of being flamed, that not all corporations behave as your company did. I work for a corporation that is owned by a larger corporation and we treat all employees with respect no matter what their position. Employees that are treated well by a company, be that a corporation, LLC, or otherwise, tend to be happy in their jobs and productive. Companies that treat their employees badly, open themselves up to less productive, unhappy employees and may have a high turnover rate which will affect the bottom line.

I'm sorry your (now former) employer treated you so poorly. Good luck in finding the right job for you! It's important to like your job! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.