OMG don't ever do this!

ripley33

Cathlete
I was so happy when the robins built a nest in my back spruce tree again after 2 years. Well tonight I thought I would take a closer look at the babies and they jumped out!!!!!! I caught them three different times and put them back in the nest but they kept jumping out! The mama and papa are squawking at me the whole time and my pug is trying to catch everyone. I feel like a piece of sh@t and my husband and teenage son are confirming that by telling me I was too nosey. I know that and I feel terrible. Leave nests alone is all I can say...

Laura :(

Depending on how feathered they are, it may just be their time to jump out. If the parents are there to feed them, there may not really a problem. Birds generally come out of the nest before they can fly very well. They spend a few days hanging around the nesting area working on their wing strength and learning to fly. I checked and robins fledge 13-16 days from when they hatch.

Don't feel bad Laura! We had a Robin build a nest on our front porch and every morning when I would leave for work the mommy would fly out and start screaming at me. Then one day I walked out and all three babies jumped out and started very awkwardly flying away. The mommy was sitting on our well shrieking and holding a worm in her mouth. I beat myself up about that for a few days, but I realize it was just their time to take off. Your guys were probably ready to start testing their wings too.

Just wanted to pitch in here too and say that DH found a little one under our cedar tree this weekend too. He picked it up and it was flapping around, went through a crack in the fence and into the alley behind us. I panicked and asked why he didn't go get it. He thought it was just about time for it to start flying and figured it'd be OK in a day or two. Given he grew up on a ranch, I'm betting he knows better.

It wasn't you is the morale of the story here. ;)

Thanks guys! You have made me feel sooooo much better :) Now that I think about it, there were three babies in the tree so yesterday where was the other one? It must have already left the nest BEFORE I came out there and scared the other two out. Glad to know it wasn't just me.
Laura

LMAO. Sorry that sucked for you, but the mental image just put a smile on my face!

I laughed when I pictured myself just now after reading YOUR post! Running around with the pug and the robins screetching at me and the babies hopping all around. I'm sure it was quite the site :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.