"Old" Cathlete reaching out...

Connie12

Cathlete
I haven't been active on this fantabulous forum in a long time, but I think it's time for me to reach out again. Allow me to introduce myself, I'm Connie. I'm a 35 year old, single, without kids, overweight woman who is in the middle of cancer treatment. I recently moved back home to Tennessee to my Mom's- from Naples, Florida- so she and my sisters can take care of me during my 6 months of treatment. I've had 2 of my 6 chemo treatments so far. Before that I had major surgery and 6 weeks of radiation. If you're interested in reading my story, check out my Caring Bridge blog. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/conniescheel

I am doing all I can to Fight Like a Girl, and I would like to include more Cathe workouts in my fight. My beloved Cathe workouts helped me to lose 75 pounds 5 years ago. Although I'm not allowed to lose any weight during chemo, my long term goal is to lose another 75. Meanwhile, I'd like to use Cathe's workouts to keep up my energy and create some of those happy endorphins. My problem is that it's tough to get started....tough for me to know where to start. I appreciate any and all ideas and support!

Thanks! :)

Welcome back! I just want you to know that I'll be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and energy to you during this 6 months. I cannot imagine what you are going through, but am glad you have a good support system in place - at home and here!

I'm not experienced enough to give you any really good advice on where to start, but wanted to say hello!

I know you'll beat this and come back strong!

Hi Connie,
I'm so glad you're here on the forum! I can't imagine what you're going through either but just wanted to give you a big huge welcome!:D
I don't know where you want to start or what you're capabilites are right now.
I was away for six years and just eased back into things but I know our situations are very different. If you'd be interested in knowing what I did I'd be glad to share.
Anyway big (((((hugs))))) to you and welcome, welcome, welcome!

Keep fighting. Keep moving. KEEP ON TRUCKIN'! That's my advice, for what it's worth. There are a few very strong women on these boards that have been thru and are still going thru a very similar struggle and fight as you are. I hope they see this and lend some advice. In the meantime, WELCOME BACK and I'm so proud of you for the FIGHT you have in you!!!

Thank you for warm welcome and encouragements, ladies!

I'm about to dive into the step combos from BM2. I think that feels about right... Before my diagnosis I was at about an intermediate-advanced level. I know my body is focused on healing and fighting so I'm thinking that it's best to go a bit easy and keep the workout intensity on the low side. I do lots of modifications, too. It's time, I'm ready!!

Wanted to say welcome back also and good for you getting back into the swing of things.

Do you have 2007 Cathe catalog? I downloaded one in pdf format from somewhere, but on pg. 31 is a listing of the types and intensity of her workouts through that timeframe. Not sure if it has been updated, but that might help find things that are suited to how you are feeling when you are going to do a workout.

Hugs and power to you !

Hi Jacque, I appreciate your note! :) I do have that catalog, and love your idea! Thanks so much!!

Hugs!

Hi Connie!

I hope you are feeling better than badder today. My family and I just went through the chemo/radiation/cancer thing with my Aunt Peggy (she is doing well.) so I have some idea of what you are going through (but only second hand.) There is nothing wrong with doing the easy Cathe workouts that are in the beginner's rotation. Also, you can use some of the whole body workouts in conjunction with walking. I don't think you will be doing much yoga, down ward facing dog may be incompatible with chemo/line. You can do meditation though which does not require odd contortions of the body. If you can do the breathing exercises those can be very beneficial to your endurance. It is weird, but I really couldn't run much until I could do rapid breath of fire for 1 minute. In the beginning I could only do 15 seconds and then it felt like my head was going to explode.

Don't forget: never drink anything on a chemo day that you would want to drink again. What I mean is don't take your favorite lemonade or gatorade or iced tea with you because you will never want to drink it again. This sounds weird, but what happens is your brain associates what you were drinking or eating with the poison. I hope thats not too redundant, I'm sure someone has told you that already.

Btw, a little about me: I'm 32 yo, I live with my folks, I'm a camera operator (video on construction sites and legal work.) I'm a single gal, hobbies are violin (Celtic/Balkan music) and piano (Jazz standards and Chopin.) and water color painting (florals are my favorite.) I practice yoga with Yoga Today online with Sarah Kline, jog intervals on hills, do step with Cathe, and I love my post workout gluten free brownie treat.;) I eat mostly a clean diet punctuated with occasional brownies and liberally lubricated with coconut oil. Oh, and I'm working on losing 50 pounds. I've lost 80 with Cathe and through a horrible year of IBS and antibiotics I put on 5-6 (not looking on the scale, too scared:eek:) If you want to join us over at the Joggler's check-in, please feel free. Some of us aren't running anymore or are strictly an interval jogger (thats me.) so don't be intimidated. Whatever you can do, its :cool:

We love OLD Cathletes! Welcome back! :p I think it's wonderful that you are even thinking of exercising while going thru your treatments. My thoughts & prayers are with you these next 6 months. Keep us posted on how you are doing and also know there is always someone here if you are feeling down or just need a word of encouragement. Big hugs to you!

Hi Connie,

Welcome back! I'm glad you are working out and fighting hard. My mom is going through chemo and radiation treatments right now for uterine cancer. I do have some idea what you are going through but only as a family member.

Sending you lots of prayers, healing vibes and positive energy.

Stay strong,

Hi Connie!

Welcome back and big ((((((HUGS)))))to you for what you are going through! I am also a cancer survivor and Cathlete so I can relate to what you are going through. I was diagnosed with stage IIIC fallopian tube cancer in Feb 09, had surgery, 6 rounds of Carboplatin and Taxol, have been in remission since Sept 09 and am now at the very end of a year of 12 monthly rounds of low dose Taxol as a preventative. My last treatment is in 2 weeks...yeah!
As far as exercise goes, I chose to modify Cathe's workouts (and still do) instead of trying another beginner instructor because I just love her dvds! For example,I will do IMAX2 or 3 step only premix without the blasts, which brings the intensity way down. Or I will walk in place when the routine is too tough. Somedays are easier than others for me and I can do an entire workout, but then the next day is a struggle.
Just do what you can. Your stamina may not be where it was before, but exercise is so important and beneficial during treatment. So keep it up and keep on fighting like a girl!!:)
Feel free to PM me. Would be happy to talk more.

ETA: Okay, Connie I just realized that I know you from FB! You already know all of this! Sorry!

Last edited:
You sound like a true "fighter" to me!! Kudos and (((hugs))) to you. If you can get through Chemo you can do ANYTHING!!! You are my hero!!

By the way, . . .I hope you don't think of 35 as old, . . . I just had my 35th birthday on July 3rd and I did NOT take it well. :( I pouted like a little girl and counted the wrinkles on my face till I realized I was happy to be alive and that I'm able to "Cathe" with the best of them. Embrace all that is good in your life you'll be surprised how much there is to be grateful for.

Welcome back and fight girl fight! I will be sending you prayers, healing vibes, and good thoughts. I am all about Cathe, but wonder if have you also considered traditional healing processes such as Chi Gong and Tai Chi as well? There is a lot of literature that supports these tools. Just an idea I wanted to add. I hope this helps in some way.

MANY THANKS!

I've been away from my computer for a day or so, and I am so happily overwhelmed with all of your kind and supportive responses!! Thank you so much!!

Ann~ I have thought about Tai Chi. In fact it's offered free to me as a cancer patient through my clinic. I'll check out the times and give it a whirl. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Janie1234~ Sometimes I think of 35 as old for me...and wish I've accomplished more...and then I realize that each birthday is a gift and life is to be treasured and enjoyed. ;)

Gin~ Hi there fellow Fighter and Survivor!! Yay for only 1 more chemo for you!!

Jane~ Please send your Mom my best wishes and healing vibes!! My original cancer in 2008 was uterine. She and I will fight this together, and win!!

DebbieH~ Thanks for your kindness!!

RapidBreath~ Today has been kind of an icky day, but compared to my worst after-chemo days it's not so bad. This heartburn thing is just crazy!! Sometimes I feel like my insides are on fire. Thank goodness for yogurt and Zantac! ha! Thank you so much for the insight about not doing yoga during chemo. I had no idea!! Yikes! I am sticking to the easier Cathe workouts and doing lots of modifications and shortenings. I mediate every day and find it to be very calming and centering. Love it! You sound like a very interesting and lovely person! It's very nice to meet a fellow single 30something! Congrats on your weight loss!! That's fantastic!!

Cher54~ I'd love to hear how you eased back into Cathe after being away for 6 years!

Thanks again everyone!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.