OK, I'm embarrassed...

Meddy

:eek:
...because I know STS isn't meant for someone like me. The truth is, I'm nearly 300lbs. BUT I've always wanted to lift weights. And I'm strong-ish, for someone who's never worked out properly. So I decided to do STS in combination with some cardio (mostly Basic Step or a stationary bike).

I'm on my second week of Meso 1 (I'm planning the 6 month rotation, so it's a repeat of the first week). Disc 1 was great, Disc 2 was great... I really pushed myself but modified where necessary (push ups!) and got a lovely burn in my muscles. However Disc 3 was a major fail for me - I could barely do a thing and collapsed on the floor in tears after about 10 minutes. Squats and lunges are the problem - at my weight, the load on my legs is pretty big and my balance is poor.

So my self esteem has taken a bit of a knock. What do you think I should do?
(a) Give in completely until I lose weight
(b) Do STS but just do the upper body discs - maybe subsitute an 'easier' leg workout for the STS Legs
(c) Do STS and just bash through the STS legs stuff as much as I can, even if I can only do half the reps I'm supposed to

Feeling a bit sorry for myself. And ashamed of being too big to work out properly. :(

Oh, Meddy, first of all, {{{{HUGS}}}} to you! Please don't be ashamed! You've made the first step, which is the toughest, and started to DO something. Be proud of yourself! That's the hardest thing, trust me.

If I were you, I would either do B or C. Do NOT give up. STS is for anyone, in my opinion, you just have to modify it to make it work for you. Having said that, now I think you should go with option C. Do what you can and as you get stronger you'll be able to do more.

Again, try to be proud of yourself and focus on the positive--you're making positive changes in your life and while it's tough and there will be tough times ahead, you can do it!

Take care!

anne

Be Proud I Am!!!

Hi Meddy, I'm over 250 and I'm doing the 6 month STS rotation also (I'm on my 1st time on week 3!). But I know I have bad knees (genetic and injuries have taken their toll). I think it's great you can do step as I was told no step or treadmill until I get some weight off by my ortho, so I use a stationary bike and don't tell him about some of the other stuff.

I'll tell you what I am doing....I'm modifiying or substituting where I know I'll have trouble. There is absolutely no shame in doing that, you and I need to build up muscle (and lose weight) so that we can do it without modification. On your squats if you find ball squats on the wall easier do those or don't go down as far and goodness knows don't do it with weights until you can do it without weight properly. Same goes for lunges, don't go down as far or do stationary lunges or if you have access to a weight machine use that (I use my bowflex, instead of doing some lunges). I also use a lower height for leg presses and a dowel for balance for some moves.

Hang in there - we can do it and we will do it. You should absolutely not be ashamed, goodness knows I'm not! Be proud of what you are doing and remember we will make it.

I think it is awesome that you are doing STS.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you, STS IS for you.

We have all done those workouts that reduce us to tears and make us doubt ourselves. That isn't the issue - the thing now is to decide how best to tackle it. I think you got some great suggestions - I strongly support the decision to continue with STS with modifications. You will get stronger and as you lose weight the balance will come as will increased strength. You can do this!

Oh, Meddy, first of all, {{{{HUGS}}}} to you! Please don't be ashamed! You've made the first step, which is the toughest, and started to DO something. Be proud of yourself! That's the hardest thing, trust me.

If I were you, I would either do B or C. Do NOT give up. STS is for anyone, in my opinion, you just have to modify it to make it work for you. Having said that, now I think you should go with option C. Do what you can and as you get stronger you'll be able to do more.

Again, try to be proud of yourself and focus on the positive--you're making positive changes in your life and while it's tough and there will be tough times ahead, you can do it!

Take care!

anne

I DEFINITELY ditto what Anne said! Do NOT give up -- I'm doing STS myself (again) and I always have to modify it to fit my needs. Like Anne said, the main thing is you are making positive changes in your life -- it will be tough at times, but you can definitely do it. Always remember with Cathe, you can modify, modify, modify - - - - ! She definitely leaves room for that. I love Cathe but there are always some things I have to modify, but once you learn what to modify and how to modify it, you can work it to your advantage!!

Good luck! Julie

Great job getting started! I know you can do it...you've gotten some great suggestions for modifications so far. Modify to make it work for you, and see how it goes! Way to go! Best of luck to you!!

Meddy - you should feel no shame at all - the only shame would be if you quit STS! Here are my thoughts, in addition to the fabulous ones above...

Get something - a 3 foot foam roller would be ideal but you could improvise easily. To start out with, if you have a weighted vest, put that on and do your lunges and squats holding onto the roller (upright) for balance, or the seat of a chair, or whatever. The important thing is to do the moves and for those moves, especially in Meso 1, you don't need heavy weights and body weight works wonders for those moves anyway. As you perfect your balance, you can start to add weights in. Please do not give up - just focus yourself and when you lose your balance, focus that much more. Everyone wobbles and has to catch themselves, no matter the fitness level and I understand that you feel you are doing this more than normal, but just don't feel alone and instead of feeling down, get MAD :mad: and use that to your advantage!! You WILL get this.

Oh yeah - always count your reps and keep the remote handy so if you need more time, just push pause and keep going. I do this throughout STS because I do not move as fast as Cathe, especially on legs, and I think it is because of my height but also because I just don't go that fast probably! Nothing says you have to go straight through at her pace. It is YOUR workout ;)

GOOD FOR YOU! You are doing something good for yourself. We all started somewhere I can remember my very first lower body workout by cathe (legs and glutes) i couldn't make it through all and had to take many breaks. I think you should still do STS as planned. Mabe do half the reps for the leg workout??? or start with only doing 5-10 min of the leg workout and keep adding time until you can do the whole thing. STS is a challenging workout but its made for EVERYONE! Cathe is there to challenge and encourage you. Keep with it! If you ever need anything, you know where to find us all:)

I think you are awesome for making it through the arm weights without a problem! The first one almost killed me.

I had a tough time with some of the leg weights too because I have a foot injury from running. I just modified when it hurt and did what I could. I think you should do the same thing.

Hi Meddy,

Congratulations on starting STS and for goodness sakes, don't give up on it. There is no shame in modifying and doing fewer reps than Cathe and the crew. You will still get a workout on the lower body even without weights. You will find by the end of the program that you have amazing progress - really. Don't give up.

Becky

Well said! I agree entirely!

Congratulations on getting yourself into STS! You will see results even if you can only do those 10 minutes of the leg workouts! Keep at it, modify, don't go very low on the squats or lunges until you get stronger!

Everyone else has made excellent suggestions and I don't have anything new, but to tell you that as you work with it, you will see yourself improve over time and get stronger and be able to do more! I am in the 6 1/2 month rotation as well and just after Meso 1, I was able to increase my weights and do a few military style push ups!

So, don't give up, don't give in - do what you can and you will still see results!

I think it is awesome that you are doing STS.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you, STS IS for you.

We have all done those workouts that reduce us to tears and make us doubt ourselves. That isn't the issue - the thing now is to decide how best to tackle it. I think you got some great suggestions - I strongly support the decision to continue with STS with modifications. You will get stronger and as you lose weight the balance will come as will increased strength. You can do this!

I just want to send love and support your way!!!!! Keep with it. Do what you can. Listen to your body. Congratulations on starting your journey. The marvelous thing about weights is that you lift what YOU can. Keep track of your progress and celebrate your achievements along the way--no matter how "small" you might think they are. You are making a wonderful investment in yourself.

Keep us posted. We're here for you!

Oh, thank you so much everyone for your supportive words and ideas. I'm really touched, I mean REALLY. I wasn't sure whether to post at first because I was scared someone would tell me I was kidding myself, but the fact that you guys all believe in me is enough to get me over this hiccup - self-confidence flowing back now!

I will definitely modify. I was seeing it as a failure that I had to modify because of my weight, but I can see that's silly - one day my weight will be down and my strength will be up and I won't have to modify. In the meantime I suppose there's no shame in not being able to keep up. I'll try to remember that.

Disc 2 again tomorrow and I'll do it with a lighter spirit. I can't believe how much difference it's made to the way I carry myself already - I think it's a psychological as well as physical difference.

Thank you all again for taking the time to make me feel better. It really helped!

Meddy...every workout is for you...you just need to work at your own pace. Don't do leg disks with weights until they feel to easy and then start adding weight.

And keep your pause button handy. It may take you longer to get through the DVD, but you'll find that it will become eaier and easier as time goes on and you wont be pausing as much and you'll fee soooo good about it.

I remember my first video back in March of 1997. It was Richard Simmons sweatin' to the oldies. I thought I'd die and I had to keep convincing myself to not stop, but I sure did want to. I didn't. I made it through.

I kept on trudging though...and then one day, I realized I needed something more. Then I got into step and other workouts. I didn't find out about Cathe unitl about 5 years ago....

Keep at it. You're going to be just fine.

Big hug and pat on the back.

Meddy, you are wonderful! What an inspiration you are!!!

What's so neat about this program is that it helps stretch every last one of us to our limits. It is a test of sensible courage - daring to do more than we think we can, but not more than our bodies ought to take. Both the daring and the sensibleness are important :)

There would be nothing wrong with doing Legs as bodyweight, and skipping any particular set that is hard on your knees or seems unsafe for you in any way. Sub in different sets, or simply skip and use the interval to rest up for later sets, whichever seems best to you.

Thanks for sharing.... It's great to read about people who push their limits, whatever those might be. And it would be fun to work out 'along with you' as you do STS - feel free to join us over on the Lurkers checkin, where several of us are at various stages in STS or other Cathe workouts right now. And there are all kinds of checkins elsewhere too.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.