Numb Feet

Kris E

I remember something like this being posted a long time ago, but does anyone know why my feet go numb while I'm stepping? I've been doing step for about 10 years now and I've had to drastically change the manor in which I step. I can no longer do plyometrics (sp?) and I have had to lower my step so that there is not so much jarring and impact on the balls of my feet. I sometimes think I have nerve damage (and I know I should see a podiatrist, but why? So he/she can tell me I have nerve damage?) I have a lot of pain in the balls of my feet mainly but I also experience excrutiating pain in my big toes as well. I usually feel the pain the day after I work out. It has also affected my ability to wear heels. I'm trying to lose some much needed weight after giving birth in January to my second child so the thought of not being able to do step and that much needed cardio fat-burner is a little depressing. Is there anyone out there that has the same problem? Thanks in advance!!

I have the same problem. It doesn't matter if I'm doing step, hi/lo, or cardio machines. I know exactly when 20 minutes have passed because that's when it starts. I changed the lacing pattern on my shoes and everything has been fine. Do an internet search on shoe lacing. I think I ended up at about.com but I'm not sure. If that doesn't work, please see a doctor.

Linda

My feet always went numb during cardio too until I bought some Rykas and loosened my shoelaces. Now I am fine, never have a problem. If it isn't your shoes/shoelaces you might want to check with your doctor.

I used to have terrible pain in the balls of my feet all the time. My orthopedist said it was because I didn't have enough padding on that part of my foot (just the way my feet are made...nothing I can do about it).

I bought a pair of Birkenstock sandles and havene't had one single pain in my feet since I put them on! I LOVE them! They totally realign the way you walk and take all the pressure off the balls of your feet when you walk. Of course, you can't do step videos with them on, but my feet used to hurt after I powerwalked in my (expensive) sneakers and now they NEVER hurt.

If none of these suggestions work, see a doctor. Good luck!
Lynn

I, too, get numb feet during cardio. Like the others who have responded, relacing and loosening the laces has worked wonders. I also have orthodics that I wear in my workout shoes. They help a lot, too.
Good luck!
Becky

Thanks so much for all the responses! It really helps to know others have the same problem! I will try the suggestions given and see how I make out! Thanks again - really!

Hi,
I have the same problem when I do hi-lo on the carpet. I asked Christi Taylor about it, her answer is here:
http://www.taylordfitness.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000162.html

Loosening the laces seems to really help and yes, it depends on the shoes a lot, unfortunately it is tough to test them at the store because my feet are getting numb only after 20 mins - and I can't really do hi-lo for 20 mins in the store :)

Good luck,
Olga

Just for what it's worth, I too have this issue. I have to be very very picky with my aerobics shoe. I agree the first line of defense is going to be:

Add a shock-absorption insert to your tennies (not the ones that come with the shoe). A good insert is usually between $15-20 and they last the life of the shoe.

Do the lacing thing. THis is a fine art when dealing with this problem

If that doesn't work, I can't say enough good things about orthodics. They correct any misalignment in your foot so your weight is properly distributed. I love love love mine, and my foot pain/buring foot is 150% improved since I started with them about a year ago.

Good luck! LIke dieting, keep going until you find what works. Keep in mind, sometimes it takes a while to get used to changes you make to your footwear/support to see if it is going to work. Don't judge results solely on one workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.