Nook vs Kindle

Yes, Pam, the 3G allows more access to download material. If you have easy access to WiFi and don't think you'll be anywhere without it at a time when you might want to download then you don't need it. But, say, if you travel a lot and want to be able to purchase books on the go without searching for WiFi then the 3G is the ticket.

I have the 3G even though I have WiFi at home. I just felt it was better to have the option available to me rather than being stuck somewhere without a book to read.

At this point I can't imagine having that happen because I have so many loaded on right now just waiting to be read, but you never know, I guess:D

Oh, and note that you cannot purchase books through B&N outside the country (US). From what I understand from reading boards, you either have to make sure you have everything purchased before you go or give someone in the US access to your B&N account to make purchases for you. You can, however, then download your purchases to your nook. Again, I don't have personal experience of that, but that's what I've read.

I have the Kindle and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I think the passion for this particular e-reader is the convenience of downloading instantly. I have 90 books on my Kindle ( I got it for Christmas last year) and I have paid for 5 of them. Amazon has a huge catalog of free books- mostly classics but each month there are a some new books available. Since I was already an avid Amazon shopper, it was a natural evolution for me to use their e-reader. I find the features very easy to navigate and rarely leave my house without it tucked into my purse.

Cosigning for the Kindle. I've had my Kindle for about 4 months and I really love it. It was really easy to use right out of the box and it holds its charge very well. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

I got my Nook it is charging right now. Now I just have to find a book I want to read. I'm so excited. Can't wait to play with it tomorrow.

I've been reading alot of horror stories about the color Nook on the B&N forums

Hey Fitnessfreakk, do you have the link to that forum where I can read up on people's experiences with the Color Nook?

Woot!

My wonderful DH just gave me the Nook Color for my b-day! :D

It's charging now and I'll come back later on to tell you how it is. Yay!

I ended up going with the basic Nook, no 3G. I don't think there will be too many times that she will absolutely need to download a book and not have wireless access since you can store so many books on the device. I was REALLY tempted by that Nook Color though. The interface is SO much easier to use. I was worried about the battery life and the eye strain reports though, so will be anxious to hear the reviews from the new Nook color owners here! Thanks for all the advice!

Pam

I too have the basic one. I tried to download from the library but couldn't. I got the book on my computer but can't get it to my Nook.

I too have the basic one. I tried to download from the library but couldn't. I got the book on my computer but can't get it to my Nook.

Did you download Adobe Digital Editions? If not, the instructions should be on your library site. Once you have ADE, double-click on the book file whereever it is you downloaded it for storage. It should open up in ADE. When your nook is plugged into the compuer, it will show up as a drive in ADE and you drag the book to the nook.

Something else many people don't realize when borrowing books from the library is that you can return them early when you're finished with them, making them available sooner for the next person on the waiting list. There is a box on the book graphic in ADE that when you click it gives you options that include returning the borrowed book.

Did you download Adobe Digital Editions? If not, the instructions should be on your library site. Once you have ADE, double-click on the book file whereever it is you downloaded it for storage. It should open up in ADE. When your nook is plugged into the compuer, it will show up as a drive in ADE and you drag the book to the nook.

Something else many people don't realize when borrowing books from the library is that you can return them early when you're finished with them, making them available sooner for the next person on the waiting list. There is a box on the book graphic in ADE that when you click it gives you options that include returning the borrowed book.

OK Nancy, maybe you can help another newbie. I downloaded that Adobe Digital Editions (after the fact - I didn't realize what it was at first and "I already have adobe!"). I even managed to move the file that should be the book onto my Nook.

Now, how do I read it? It's in a file in that section of my Nook but...now what? I tap, I tap-tap, I tap and hold....I don't see where I can open it from another location?

Whooey. The learning curve. Mostly because I've never used this kind of touch-screen technology.

I just ordered a Kindle for myself for Christmas. My BF was supposed to get me one, but his budget won't allow it this month. Stupid health insurance deductible! I can't afford it either, but ehhhh.... someone has to buy me something I really want for Christmas.

So, since I bought it for myself.... should I wrap it and save it until Christmas morning? I'm reading a physical book now anyway...

OK Nancy, maybe you can help another newbie. I downloaded that Adobe Digital Editions (after the fact - I didn't realize what it was at first and "I already have adobe!"). I even managed to move the file that should be the book onto my Nook.

Now, how do I read it? It's in a file in that section of my Nook but...now what? I tap, I tap-tap, I tap and hold....I don't see where I can open it from another location?

Whooey. The learning curve. Mostly because I've never used this kind of touch-screen technology.

Hmmm, I'm not at all sure about this one since I don't have the NookColor. Intuitively, I would think just tapping it once would open it up. Can you get to a Barnes & Noble store and get help from the expert there?

You could also ask on the Facebook Nook page if you're on FB. Maybe someone could help you. But be warned -- while in general people are very helpful concerning questions like yours, there are some who can be quite rude. I haven't seen your question asked, though, so I suspect you would get a decent response.

Thanks Nancy. I think I just have either popped the file into the wrong place or it's in the wrong format. I'll spend some quality time with the User Guide. Thanks for the warning on the fb page. I try to avoid mean people!

I decided to buy my dad the new Kindle instead of the Nook for Christmas. (I checked them both out.) Because my dad's a camper I felt the Kindle was the better choice -- the battery life on the Nook doesn't compare to the battery life on the Kindle (very important if you are a camper). I do hope he likes it and it's not too complicated for him. (I guess I can always tease him -- my 95 year old grandmother uses her Kindle all the time. ;))

As for myself, I rarely ever use my Kindle now....I opt for my IPad.

Nancy thank you for your advice. Yes I downloaded the ADE directly from my library site. I have it on ADE I just have to figure out how to move files. I'm not very computer savvy. So when I couldn't get it I just downloaded a book from BN. Spying in HighHeels. It's pretty cute and was under $5.

Cracked the code!

DH and I sat down with it last night and figured it out.

• First you need the Adobe Digital Editions downloaded to your PC - downloadable from your public library site.
  • Then you need to get the online ID for it (easy - they just ask for your email).
  • Then hook up your Nook to your PC and have the ADE recognize your device. Also easy.
  • Then electronically check out your book - you'll save it on your computer.
  • Then open ADE. I think it automatically will see your saved book (can't remember exactly - it was late and DH did perform a little voodoo when I was out of the room)
  • THEN, and here's the part I didn't do correctly....plug your Nook into your computer.
  • In the ADE window a new "shelf" will appear that is your device - mine says "media".
  • Drag your book from the main ADE screen to the shelf that has your device and drop it in there.
  • Properly eject your device.
  • Now you can read your book. Either tap on it from the files section or you can put it on your personal shelf section by using the Edit feature on the shelf.
Now, I don't know how to get the book cover to appear yet - I was just so excited to have the book on the device!

I had been attempting to move the file the way you would with a cd or thumb drive and that doesn't work. It's better to use the ADE program as the little ship to sail your books from your PC to your device.

HTH! Please remember my previous disclaimer that I am Not a geek. :p

I'm sorry if this is a silly question but after reading this thread I'm considering a kindle or a nook for my DIL for Christmas. Do either of these e-readers come with any books? Is there a charge to "borrow" from the library. Is there a charge for every book? I guess I'm asking because she recently graduated from vet school and she is still interning and doesn't make a lot of money and really can't afford to buy books. I don't want to give her something that is going to cost her money to use. Are there e-book gift cards like there is itunes gift cards?

Thanks for your help.

Tracy,

There are free books for the Nook and I believe the Kindle as well. The guy at Barnes and Nobel told me that you go to the B&N Store on your nook and enter a price of 0.00 and it will show you all of the free books. The other reason I went with the nook over the kindle is that you can check books out of the library with the nook.

HTH, Pam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.