Nook vs Kindle

jharris

Cathlete
Do any of you use an either of these products? If so what do you like and dislike about them?

I'm interested in getting an e-reader. I like the that the Nook you can download from the library, but Kindle seems to be the favorite amongst most people.

Please help, I know we have a lot of readers here in CatheNation.

I have the Kindle and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I think the passion for this particular e-reader is the convenience of downloading instantly. I have 90 books on my Kindle ( I got it for Christmas last year) and I have paid for 5 of them. Amazon has a huge catalog of free books- mostly classics but each month there are a some new books available. Since I was already an avid Amazon shopper, it was a natural evolution for me to use their e-reader. I find the features very easy to navigate and rarely leave my house without it tucked into my purse.

I have Kindle on my iphone. I read one book on there. I like it but its rather small. I know Amazon has pretty cheap prices. I like that you don't have to be hooked to the computer.

I go to the library but I'm a slow reader and often end up paying a late charge. So I don't mind buying books I just don't like the book clutter.

When comparing they both seem to be about the same. Except the price. I wonder if BN has as good of prices on books as Amazon.

I'm sure Kindle owners will recommend the Kindle and Nook owners will recommend the Nook. I'm a Nook owner and have only had the Kindle in my hand one time and never to actually use.

I love my Nook, which is interesting to me just how much I do since I really thought I would miss the feel of a book in my hand:
  • I like the touchscreen keyboard as opposed to the individual keys on the Kindle (again, only held the Kindle once).
  • I love being able to borrow books from the library. I had not been a library user in the past, so I have saved quite a bit of money now that I'm downloading books instead of buying them (I do still buy ebooks, as well -- I don't just depend on the library). The selection will vary, of course, from library to library. What I'm finding is that our local library is pretty slim on older books but much better with new releases now that the demand is there.
  • The Web access is very clunky and I wouldn't recommend it as a selling point. I don't have and have not seen in person a NookColor, but since it is billed as a tablet rather than a dedicated e-reader (is backlit rather than using e-ink) I understand that the Internet feature is very good because the entire screen is a touchscreen (rather than with the Nook e-reader, just the lower portion/control area is touchscreen).
  • The Lend Me feature is a nice addition, although not all books allow this. It is up to the author and publisher to decide the price of books and whether to allow Lend Me. I have used it a few times and it was quick and easy to do.
  • You can replace the battery in a Nook.
  • The latest software update for the Nook that came out last week dramatically increased the page-turning speed, and also now allows organizing books on "shelves."
  • The In Store bonus features are fun. You get free things from the café like Godiva chocolates, smoothies, cheesecake, coffee (all the great things in life!), and you can sit in the store and read books for free (not that you have to pay to sit in the store, but you can read books without purchasing them) daily for 1-2 hours (can't remember exactly how long). This, of course, is a feature for someone like me who is retired, and probably not something that appeals to someone with a fulltime job and family.
  • Unfortunately, the B&N membership discount does not apply to ebooks or Nook accessories.
That was probably more information than you wanted!:eek: Gook luck!

Another vote for the Nook. Nancy hit all the points that I would have made. For me the real selling point was the ability to download from the library. I used the library all the time before buying the Nook and I didn't want to give that up. I do buy ebooks on Barnes and Noble and you can find some great deals. The also have Free Fridays and they offer a book every Friday. It's been a great way to try new authors. I use my Nook every day. I really want the new NookColor but my Nook is only a few months old.

Tracy

I told my stepdaughter that I will take either. My birthday is a week before Christmas so I'm hoping this is one of my gifts. If my husband takes me shopping I think I'm going with the Nook. I like the free stuff it offers and I can buy or borrow. From what I can tell they are both good.

I have the Nook Color on my birthday/Xmas list too. Can't wait! I chose it specifically for it's flexibility with library downloads. I could have gone with the regular Nook but I just wanted to go fancy on my wish-list :D. Thanks Nancy for listing those perks. I didn't know about some of them....

I have a Nook (not color, the original) and LOVE IT!!!

I agree with all Nancy said.

It is my most favorite piece of equipment that I've ever owned. I thank my dh for it almost every day. He got it for me for my birthday. :)

I heard someone say the following and have followed this advice: Never buy the first generation of anything. Anyone, if the nook has come out with a second generation please feel free to illuminate me! I haven't been out from under my rock in a while
booboo39

I have the Nook Color on my birthday/Xmas list too. Can't wait! I chose it specifically for it's flexibility with library downloads. I could have gone with the regular Nook but I just wanted to go fancy on my wish-list :D. Thanks Nancy for listing those perks. I didn't know about some of them....
You're welcome!

I heard someone say the following and have followed this advice: Never buy the first generation of anything. Anyone, if the nook has come out with a second generation please feel free to illuminate me! I haven't been out from under my rock in a while
booboo39
The nook is still first generation; however, there have been at least two software updates that I'm aware of, and there may have been a third before I purchased mine.

I am planning on getting my mother an e-reader for Christmas and decided based on this discussion to go with the Nook color. Then I went to order it and found out that it is $249, compared to $139 for a Kindle. Now I'm trying to decide if it is worth that much more? Any comments on that???

Pam

I am planning on getting my mother an e-reader for Christmas and decided based on this discussion to go with the Nook color. Then I went to order it and found out that it is $249, compared to $139 for a Kindle. Now I'm trying to decide if it is worth that much more? Any comments on that???

Pam

I don't know anything about the Kindle, but I would recommend the original Nook to anyone. I've been reading alot of horror stories about the color Nook on the B&N forums. It's too new and there are too many bugs. The original Nook is cheap and very easy to use.

Do any of you read papers or magazines on your Nook? I see you can download Shape, just wondered if anyone has and thier experience with it.

The Nook color does look pretty cool. But the price is kind of out of my range at the moment.

Jenn

I've been reading alot of horror stories about the color Nook on the B&N forums. It's too new and there are too many bugs.

Say it ain't so!!! :(:confused:

Well, I guess it's to be expected. I'm still hoping for one for my b-day. If I do I'll come back and let you know what I think.

Disclaimer: I am not now, nor have I ever been, a techno-geek. However, I am willing to read instructions. We'll see what happens....

Do any of you read papers or magazines on your Nook? I see you can download Shape, just wondered if anyone has and thier experience with it.

The Nook color does look pretty cool. But the price is kind of out of my range at the moment.

Jenn

They are offering Shape now? I haven't gotten any mags because they are offerings ones I could care less about. I'll have to check that out.

OK, another question. First of all FitnessFreak, thanks for the pointer to check out the forums. After doing a lot more research I don't think the Nook color is the right choice despite any problems people might be having. The 8 hour battery life is a show stopper by itself and since the main use will be for reading books it seems that an e-Ink device is the way to go.
My question is, is 3G necessary? Why do you need it? Is it only for downloading books when you don't have access to a wireless network? Wondering if this is really worth the extra $50 or not. Thanks for the advice!

Pam

I think 3g allows you wireless access anywhere. Kind of like a cell phone. My iphone has 3G so I can usually access the internet anywhere I'm at. Without 3g you should be able to download anywhere there is free wi-fi service.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.