Nia Shanks

Justine, Triple Decker looks like fun, though I agree the whole minute sounds a bit long. Did you essentially do three singles within a 40-second window? Or a triple then rest?
I look forward to your review -- thanks in advance!

I wasn't sure what to expect, but I found all those deadlifts quite doable. My form didn't break down at all. I didn't grind out any reps. My training density increased as the time went on, oddly. It was fun! I was just reading the GSF2 manual (as I may do that program next), and Dave (author of today's LWF2 workout) says he thinks most trainees do vastly less volume than they're capable of. Uh oh -- I'm in trouble! :D
I need to do it again with a fresh upper body and try to get more unassisted pullups.

For Triple Decker I did 3 of the first exercise followed immediately by 3 of the second (rather than superset them), then waited out the minute. For circuit #1 this worked out as 40sec on, 20 off. For circuits 2 and 3, I was able to do the 6 reps in about 30 sec, so I restarted at the 45 sec mark, ie 30s on and 15 off.

GSF2 - it scared me when I looked at it. From what I understand, you just keep adding sets until the exercise fails to test well. I think I'd be pretending I couldn't touch my toes after set 4! I like what he has to say, though.

Day 2 of BBA and the burning question I have is ....DO GUYS REALLY DO GLUTE BRIDGES???? I am SO glad my two sons didn't have to watch their father do THOSE! Well that's that! I think I will need to add some finishers pretty soon because I feel like a bit of a slacker, or maybe I am way too low on weights. I have done very little deadlifting and do respect the possibility of lower back injury. I still feel awkward, but did watch her tutorial, and I was more comfortable with it today than in the past. I think I will really be able to increase this lift pretty quickly..just being cautious. I do expect the 4x10 pullups to be tough, and my right shoulder won't allow dips. I hooked up my dip station on my soloflex for a trial run and NO way. This was painful on that shoulder 10 years ago but now its like shoulder surgery with no anesthesia, so I guess I will sub close grip bench or tricep pushups.Well, off to check my backside in the mirror to see how those glute bridges are working...just kidding!!

Day 2 of BBA and the burning question I have is ....DO GUYS REALLY DO GLUTE BRIDGES???? I am SO glad my two sons didn't have to watch their father do THOSE! Well that's that! I think I will need to add some finishers pretty soon because I feel like a bit of a slacker, or maybe I am way too low on weights. I have done very little deadlifting and do respect the possibility of lower back injury. I still feel awkward, but did watch her tutorial, and I was more comfortable with it today than in the past. I think I will really be able to increase this lift pretty quickly..just being cautious. I do expect the 4x10 pullups to be tough, and my right shoulder won't allow dips. I hooked up my dip station on my soloflex for a trial run and NO way. This was painful on that shoulder 10 years ago but now its like shoulder surgery with no anesthesia, so I guess I will sub close grip bench or tricep pushups.Well, off to check my backside in the mirror to see how those glute bridges are working...just kidding!!

Oh, if WE have the indignity of glute bridges (not to mention the discomfort of the BB), then so do you!
As for a good sub for dips - divebomber push-ups. They melt my triceps.

Oh, and I'm totally obsessed with LWF2. It's just too much fun.
I'll be busy with guests this weekend, then I'll probably fuss around with LWF2 for a week or two until I feel like starting GSF2. Tentative plan. :)
Today is squat deload, my final BBA workout for this program (though I'll likely choose a squat-heavy LWF2 workout)! Shedding an iron tear...

Day 3 of BBA and it seems so simple. To look on paper you say to yourself "is that it"? On the overhead press I had days where I would do 8-12 sets and here it's just 3, but I think the idea is to make those really challenging. I will be interested to see what kind of intensity I can generate in these short sets as the program continues. (The 4x10 pullups were PLENTY intense!!!)

Good grief, just finished Horizontal Conditioning. I had forgotten how challenging these workouts were. I may have to re-think this rotation. I'm seeing stars. On second thought, I'm going to do it again. Hurts so good, right? Yowsa! I think I'm going to throw in a little Nia as well. It's only been a week, and I'm missing her already. So many workouts, so little time. Hope you all are well, and Cristin (sp) what do you think of Nia?

Good grief, just finished Horizontal Conditioning. I had forgotten how challenging these workouts were. I may have to re-think this rotation. I'm seeing stars. On second thought, I'm going to do it again. Hurts so good, right? Yowsa! I think I'm going to throw in a little Nia as well. It's only been a week, and I'm missing her already. So many workouts, so little time. Hope you all are well, and Cristin (sp) what do you think of Nia?
That was SO hard..seeing stars ..I may have to rethink....NAW gonna do it again PLUS the stuff I'm trying to get up the nerve to do ONLY!! Good grief girl, you need to bottle some of that stuff and send it to Missouri!! Now I gotta hit the basement for repentance! Haha

Now that workout has a huge dread factor. No fun in it at all. I was writing to Justine the other day, that I have to grind through the workout, because there is no fun in it. Not looking forward to that one. Back to edit this, that's what I get for posting from my phone. Tom, I will send you some energy, when I wake up from my nap, and the stars go away.

Karen, you've not convinced me to revisit Ho Co!
tslop - are you adding finishers? I did a week or two of Nia until I really found my feet with it. THEN I added the finishers - that really kicked it up a notch. My lifting gains were huge, although they've slowed a bit now. (For some lifts I just can't increase at the moment. BAH)

Any of you lot use a slam ball? I noticed there were quite a few LWF workouts using one. How do they differ from a medicine ball? Is it worth getting one (slam or medicine), and if so, what sort of weight?

Karen, you've not convinced me to revisit Ho Co!
tslop - are you adding finishers? I did a week or two of Nia until I really found my feet with it. THEN I added the finishers - that really kicked it up a notch. My lifting gains were huge, although they've slowed a bit now. (For some lifts I just can't increase at the moment. BAH)

Any of you lot use a slam ball? I noticed there were quite a few LWF workouts using one. How do they differ from a medicine ball? Is it worth getting one (slam or medicine), and if so, what sort of weight?

I know there are a few people on the forum that use a slam ball. I never have. I hope someone will chime in. Justine, I'm with you on the LWF. Absolutely no dread factor. Love them!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.