Nia Shanks

I'm going to use it on the engineers. A word that they have no idea what it means. Score one for my team! They will be the one doing the Googling!! LOL! Good luck finding it!! (I better Google it, make sure it's not there. Damn it is!)

Karen, you need to say 'By Jove, chaps, it appears we're scuppered' next time something goes wrong! Funny thing is....I had no idea it would sound like a strange word.
This is what you need to watch:

I have been following this thread and was ready to purchase BBA, then LWF2 was mentioned... Now I can't decide! About how long do the BBA workouts run?

Thanks!

Tonya

Hi Tonya. Two very different programmes, both enormous fun - but it's going to depend on your goals.
Both are pdfs, both by women (which I think is significant - upper / lower body relative strength makes a difference), both use heavy weights, both are based around compound moves, both are hugely enjoyable.
BBA is essentially a collection of strength programmes using different lifting protocols. Note, strength rather than hypertrophy - it's pretty low reps. You'll be in and out in 30 - 50 mins, 3-4 times a week, depending on which programme you choose. You need a barbell, squat rack and a pull-up bar. Suspension trainer and heavy resistance bands are useful. There is an option of buying a list of 'finishers' - and some of them really do finish you! They're about 10 mins long.

LWF2 is more like a compendium of finishers. 10 mins - 30 mins. They use a variety of equipment, although there are plenty of bodyweight and minimalist workouts. I use them as metabolic conditioning workouts - but you could heavy up and use them for strength. The moves are very varied - plenty I've never tried before.

The two programmes work really well together. In fact you could get LWF2 and the accompanying Get Stronger Faster 2, and that would be very similar to doing BBA + LWF. They also provide a schedule for doing LWF2 and GSF2 together.......

Hope that's not made the choice harder!

Wow, I'm away for the weekend and I feel I've missed to much!
Justine, THANKS for the LWF2 spreadsheet! You rock!
I do have (what I think is) a slam ball... basically a medicine ball but softer, like it's filled with sand. Mine is 8#, but I have no idea where it came from. So I didn't choose that weight. Basically you can slam it onto the ground and it doesn't bounce. I use it as a medicine ball, too. I would love some battling rope, though... :eek:

So! I tried my first GSF2 workout today... I was expecting it to feel a bit like Nia but it's TOTALLY different. I 'tested' after every set. I ended up doing my squats (back squats) with a slightly staggered stance, left foot a tad forward. It tested best. I ended up doing seven sets of squats in the 4-6 rep range. I went significantly lighter than with Nia (though volume was much more), as Dave insists you don't work hard. Hah. Those Valslide SHELCs will have me scuppered tomorrow! I'm really excited to see what this program is like. I will probably start out just training 3 days/week (maybe no finishers yet) and add walking, hiking, and yoga on off-days. Then if I'm up to it after a week or so, I'll add LWF2 on some off-days. Not sure, trying to see what jives best with my schedule and body right now.
I'm trying out Adaptifier (there's a one-year free trial with LWF2, search your email for 'adaptifier') -- tentatively like it a lot! Justine, I shared your aversion to timing work (though you don't time each set, just total time doing barbell back squats, etc.). However, I understand that it's a metric for improvement. I wasn't 'racing the clock', but I did use a timer. I just I didn't let myself stress about it.

I like Neghar. She had a recent GGS spotlight where she talked about how she trains. I don't have KBs so I won't be purchasing L&L now (and I have too much to work through first), but it does look good. Keep me posted if you get it.

I've been to England once. Loved it, We had the best time. We rented a car. my husband had to drive. I forgot that Y'all drive on the left side. But, we went to Scotland, and Ireland. Had a great time in London, so much to see. If my husband gets a wild hair to go to the Tour de France, (again) think I will go to London with my sisters.

Yeah - but you lot can overtake in any lane. Weird. And you all drive automatics. Big ones too! I have driven in the States once - I kept trying to change gear and couldn't understand why everyone was coming at me from odd directions!

Roz, now you've got me wanting to try GSF. Oh no. So many systems, too little time and all that. I'm now flumoxed (not scuppered). ;)

It's OK, I can take it!
It's just like Downton Abbey over here, you do realise?

Jealous of everyone's European adventures. I don't think I'll be able to visit until real-life/real-time closed captioning is invented. Words like scuppered + accents are more than my poor brain can handle all at once. The driving and 'backwards' rotaries, on the other hand, bring it on!

Lisa

Today I did day 1 of week 2 I actually videotaped my deadlifts to see my technique. I will have to compare with Nia's or other technicians to see if I'm lousy at it. Did several extra sets to see If by concentrating on different parts I could improve technique. I decided to try a more sumo type approach and I think It feels better. I was using a narrow stance with hands outside the legs, but it always felt awkward. The wider stance with hands inside felt more comfortable. What type have you ladies used?? I did add 20# to dreads and 30# to "butt bridges" . I think I will be able to raise deads quickly..still playing with form

That's interesting. A bit like the biofeedback testing that Roz is doing - basically go with the position which suits best. For DLs I'm best with shoulder width stance, feet turned out very slightly. I fact That works best for my squats as well. Grip - overhand (rather than staggered) hands just fractionally closer than feet are. I had to 'relearn' to DL after doing Cathe's RDL-style for so long. I must remember to bend my knees! Flexible hamstrings makes me forget to....

Adding that much weight is fantastic. I must admit to having stalled a bit - DL, squat and o/head press have been the same for a couple of weeks. I think I need to eat more, as I've lost my appetite slightly (very unusual for me!)

I'd be interested to hear what you think of your technique once you've watched yourself (I don't mean that as an insult, more that it's interesting to see what we're actually doing compared to what we think we're doing).

I've also been thinking about your question re finishers. Are you trying to stay about the same weight but gain muscle? If so, I think you shouldn't bother with the finishers after lifting. Perhaps do something short and intense on the in-between days???? Just a thought.

That's interesting. A bit like the biofeedback testing that Roz is doing - basically go with the position which suits best. For DLs I'm best with shoulder width stance, feet turned out very slightly. I fact That works best for my squats as well. Grip - overhand (rather than staggered) hands just fractionally closer than feet are. I had to 'relearn' to DL after doing Cathe's RDL-style for so long. I must remember to bend my knees! Flexible hamstrings makes me forget to....

Adding that much weight is fantastic. I must admit to having stalled a bit - DL, squat and o/head press have been the same for a couple of weeks. I think I need to eat more, as I've lost my appetite slightly (very unusual for me!)

I'd be interested to hear what you think of your technique once you've watched yourself (I don't mean that as an insult, more that it's interesting to see what we're actually doing compared to what we think we're doing).

I've also been thinking about your question re finishers. Are you trying to stay about the same weight but gain muscle? If so, I think you shouldn't bother with the finishers after lifting. Perhaps do something short and intense on the in-between days???? Just a thought.
Justine..I have had problems with appetite as well. I have lost quite a lot of weight over the last several years. I was able to regain some with std, but I forced eating and tons of protein shakes.I would like to add 15-20 lbs, but I don't think I can and have it be good weight. I have decided to get my 150-200 grams protein a day and eat what I want. If it's 170 or 200 so be it!! I did the body for life 14 years ago and started at 228. There was definitely some extra on the bone, but now I am about 170-175. On technique, I think I was not getting low enough was using all lower back so I tried to correct that by starting lower.I was surprised it didn't look worse!!! I have not pushed weight really yet because I wanted to develop my technique so as to prevent injury.I do believe you have to be able to fuel muscle growth, and I think that is my problem as well

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.