Nia Shanks

Hmmm... maybe I can deadlift a sumo wrestler? I'll have to work on that one!
Y'all crack me up! :)

Justine and Karen, give it a try! If it doesn't jive with you, you can always stop after a week. (I'll pay off the rotation police so they won't come knocking on your door.) Justine, maybe it's only been 45 minutes, I don't know (I'll pay more attention to the total workout time next time so I can let you know) -- I think (the idea is, at least) that things would test poorly before the workout went on too long for you. Actually, I've had a few moments where, after a set, I thought, 'OK, that didn't feel great' -- and then it tests poorly. I'm doing the toe touch test, but I'm doing on a step with two risers, and I'm going down to my full range of motion (as Dave says you can), which somehow makes it feel less subjective to me.

I'm really still adjusting to this way of training, so I haven't really been adding much on (or in between lifting days). I've got DOMS everywhere, especially lats. If I don't feel like adding on after a workout, I just don't. It's enough. The supersets move quickly and often feel metabolic (but challenging.) But I think once I get into a groove I'll be able to do a bit more.

Thank you Roz - first of all, you are, once again, the voice of reason. I need to tell myself, I AM allowed to just try something for a few weeks (but I'm so glad the rotation police will be taken care of). 45 mins is perfect - in fact Nia's workouts sometimes take me that long (but I do a lot of warm up sets - it's an age thing). Of course I'd use the w/u sets to test variants, so it'd be quite efficient. Now, the toe test - I thought it was supposed to be done until you felt your hamstrings engage, and that had me worried. As you say, it's so subjective. But going to full stretch - I'm happier with that. And the idea that it'll test poorly before too long - that's another thing I've been worrying about! I've sort of been trying out the biometric testing thing whist doing Nia - but only changing stance / hand position. I do love the idea.

I've stalled a bit. Instead of trying to increase reps or weight for my squats, I've been trying to improve depth (by setting up my high step behind me and trying to touch down to a lower height each week). This morning was dreadful! My first real set-back. It's left me quite grumpy (I'm real mardy ;) ). Perhaps I should have tested.....

Oh, and DLing a sumo wrestler? YES!

Thank you Roz - first of all, you are, once again, the voice of reason. I need to tell myself, I AM allowed to just try something for a few weeks (but I'm so glad the rotation police will be taken care of). 45 mins is perfect - in fact Nia's workouts sometimes take me that long (but I do a lot of warm up sets - it's an age thing). Of course I'd use the w/u sets to test variants, so it'd be quite efficient. Now, the toe test - I thought it was supposed to be done until you felt your hamstrings engage, and that had me worried. As you say, it's so subjective. But going to full stretch - I'm happier with that. And the idea that it'll test poorly before too long - that's another thing I've been worrying about! I've sort of been trying out the biometric testing thing whist doing Nia - but only changing stance / hand position. I do love the idea.

I've stalled a bit. Instead of trying to increase reps or weight for my squats, I've been trying to improve depth (by setting up my high step behind me and trying to touch down to a lower height each week). This morning was dreadful! My first real set-back. It's left me quite grumpy (I'm real mardy ;) ). Perhaps I should have tested.....

Oh, and DLing a sumo wrestler? YES!
Justine...my phone and Google couldn't figure out mardy!!! I'm really SCUPPERED here on that one! Sounds like you are going really deep on the squats..congrats!!

Mardy huh? My brain is toooo full. Well, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. For now.

Yup, I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks for bribing the police, Roz. It just sounds too good.
Now, let's see, If I workout eight hours on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I can just squeeze in everything that interests me. Yea, that's the ticket. Ok, everybody, don't show me another good program. I'm going to be busy for awhile.

Last edited:
Oh, you kids!! :D
Justine, today's workout was ~45 mins, including warm up sets (which, as you noted, double as testing time) but not including foam rolling/dynamic warmup. Started off with goblet squats (ended up doing 10x6), a superset of bodyweight lateral lunges (luckily DB walking and reverse lunges test poorly, as they bug my feet and I HATE THEM! :p) and RKC planks -- around 8 rounds of that, and finally a straight set of DB RDLs (4x10 I think). The accessory lifts in GSF2 definitely get your heard pumping. Finishers really feel optional.
Nonetheless, I finished it off with ManBearBig (BB under 10, love this one so much -- the overhead squats are KILLER, and definitely the lift that limits my weight selection on this one) -- couldn't believe I had anything left, but some of those LWF2s are just so fun...
Oh, and I went for a run yesterday -- whaaa?! It was fun! Why not? I'll let you know if I end up a puddle of goo and bone.

Wow Roz - you're really going for it (a run?????) Thanks for the info - 45 mins is perfect, as I guess the entire thing inc warm-up etc would be about an hour. It'll be interesting to see what strength gains you make. I'm definitely up for trying this in the Autumn.
Mind you, it sounds as though Jen Sinkler is working on something new for the Autumn (or so it implied on her facebook page). Yippee!

Wow Roz - you're really going for it (a run?????) Thanks for the info - 45 mins is perfect, as I guess the entire thing inc warm-up etc would be about an hour. It'll be interesting to see what strength gains you make. I'm definitely up for trying this in the Autumn.
Mind you, it sounds as though Jen Sinkler is working on something new for the Autumn (or so it implied on her facebook page). Yippee!

Something new in Autumn? I'm excited to see what it is!! So little time. Good for you, Roz. You're definitely kicking it!

Starting week 3 of simple strength 2. I was off to Arkansas to visit "me dear ole Mum" (bad attempt huh Justine!) this weekend so day 1 of week 3 was today,and on bench I have added 20# to working sets and will hopefully be able to go quite a lot higher as the sets shorten in the next phase (5 is pretty short, " loves me some short sets") I feel like I am leaving several "in the tank"as she says and not maxing out. I usually reverse pyramid down after my 2x5 for a few sets on bench.Tomorrow is deadlift day and will play more with technique. My only real disappointment is, of all things, curls! That is usually a lift I am pretty good at, but I dropped the weight 15# from what I was using ;(30#) from meso 3 of sts; and 4x10 is just as tough as week 1!! I think usually I superset with tris or triset on meso 3 and it allows more rest time. Also sets of 10 is high rep range for me, usually using sets of 8. Also I think on arm day, my barbell curls are usually early in the workout, finishing with dumbbell curls and concentration curls etc. My nutrition absolutely SUCKS!! I seem to have zero appetite most of the time and have trouble keeping weight on(I know this is a foreign concept to many!) I end up using a lot of protein shakes just to get adequate daily intake of protein for muscle growth. Just the rantings of Barney Fife who wants to be Arnold!!! (not exactly Barney, but gaining on him)

Justine, in the future can you please keep this kind of info to yourself??? :p You're turning us all into Belinda (said with love, but fortunately for her wallet I don't think she follows this thread...and sad for my wallet that I do)!

Lisa

Justine, in the future can you please keep this kind of info to yourself??? :p You're turning us all into Belinda (said with love, but fortunately for her wallet I don't think she follows this thread...and sad for my wallet that I do)!

Lisa

Yup, I'm taking a beating too!! But, I like it. LOL! By-the-way, Tom, I loved Barney Fife, with his one bullet in his pocket. At least, I did as a kid.

Lisa, if I'm going broke, I'm taking you all down with me!

Debtors jail will be great- the exercise yard will be amazing by the time we're all there.

Tom - I've realised I have a choice of losing fat or getting stronger. The two together just don't work for me, so I'm making myself eat. If I eat lots the night before a heavy weight session I'm super woman. Sometimes I just don't feel like eating - I'll have to save that feeling for a cutting phase!

Lisa, if I'm going broke, I'm taking you all down with me!

Debtors jail will be great- the exercise yard will be amazing by the time we're all there.

Tom - I've realised I have a choice of losing fat or getting stronger. The two together just don't work for me, so I'm making myself eat. If I eat lots the night before a heavy weight session I'm super woman. Sometimes I just don't feel like eating - I'll have to save that feeling for a cutting phase!
Justine... I think you are spot on. I forced ate on sts and it worked!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.