Nia Shanks

I have trouble getting deep on squats, I think it is a balance thing. I don't have a problem with goblet squats because the weight is in front, but do with it behind my neck, so I think with that and my lack of shoulder mobility they will be tough for me!!

I can't even do chair pose particularly well - it's getting my arms up by my ears which is the problem. Definitely mobility related.
I agree re goblet squats - they produce the best ROM for me. Next best are front squats, even though I can back squat a heavier weight (if that makes sense).

I can't hang for the knee raises, and I have to hold myself in 1/2 chin up position or my body would fall off leaving my arms " hanging there"

Yeah - knee raises for me mean bent arms. I don't really understand why that's so much easier. Is it a mobility thing? I find the bottom position in a pull up the hardest bit. Funnily, though pull-up knee raises are slightly easier for me than chin-up knee raises. Even though I can do 12 chin-ups but only 7 pull-ups. Weird.

Justine I really like the neutral grip option, but only have under or over option at home, and I, like you, do better with underhand grip. On the knee raises I try to get by knees level or above my head, and I have used the underhand, but haven't tried overhand. There is a pull up bar at the prison with a neutral grip that I use to max out on. The overhand is,again, tough on my shoulders..don't really know why.By the way, you should be very proud of 12, I can't think of any of my male friends that could come close! Congrats on all of the tough work!!

Yeah - knee raises for me mean bent arms. I don't really understand why that's so much easier. Is it a mobility thing? I find the bottom position in a pull up the hardest bit. Funnily, though pull-up knee raises are slightly easier for me than chin-up knee raises. Even though I can do 12 chin-ups but only 7 pull-ups. Weird.

You're a superstar Justine. Twelve chin-ups? Eight to ten, then I have to hang for thirty seconds or so, to get one or two more. Pullups, less than that.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.