Nia Shanks

Since this has turned into more than just a Nia thread I'll add my comments so far about LWF2. I've done a couple of the 10 minute bodyweight ones and one of the dumbell(kettlebell?) ones. Bent Steel. First- I LOVE, LOVE the names for all of them! What a fun, creative gal. My workout journal is going to read so cool. Second- one of the things I notice is that while some of them include squat thrusts there are NO burpees! On the one hand that makes me really, really happy. (The other hand just knows how good they are for total body work and might just sub them in). I also don't remember seeing tons of high impact moves like endless tuck jumps either. Some of the ones I can't wait to try on vacation (my in-law's lake house has a killer set of stairs up from the lake) are the ones using the stairs; The Social Climber, Sole Survivor, and The Summit! Oh- and I use my "baby" DBs as extra weight when I can't jump to the next DB up.... just hold 2 at once in one had like Cathe does in Cathe Live. So a 15 and a 2 or 3 together until I'm ready for the 20's!

I agree, I'm having great fun with LWF2. Very creative.

Dmerz - sounds idyllic LWF2 by a lake. Lucky you. You get to sit on the top step and stare out at the view AFTER you've done the w/o

I hadn't noticed the lack of burpees...but now I know why I'm liking the workouts so much!

My latest 'find' is Simple and Sinister by Pavel Tsatsouline (sp?) - amazing kettlebell book. I now want to do a 24kg Turkish get-up.
On top of all those other things on my list.....

Dmerz, so glad to hear you're loving LWF2! I can't wait to start swinging weights around once this wrist is even more solid than it already is. No pain in my lifting this week, though.

I was feeling really good today, so I got up to a 1.5 X bodyweight deadlift x3! I had done this before, but then backed off and wait to work on form, so it was nice to work up to it again.

I'm guessing next on the list will be the 20 push ups. I think the other two might be waiting a little while!

While metabolic workouts are the topic.... Justine are you still doing Jade Teta? Although I find him somewhat annoying, his metabolic "stuff" is pretty good. A great butt kicker in 20 minutes. I love Pavel's stuff. Did you find Simple and Sinister at the Dragon Door website? Nope, I guess not. I just read he broke away from Dragon Door. This is definitely one to check out. Ok, back to edit this post again. Just read about "Simple and Sinister." Looks like it's a must buy. Has great reviews, and I love working with kettlebells. Thanks for the heads-up, Justine. Probably be back, to edit this again.

Last edited:
Oh no, you're going to have me shopping for kettlebells in no time flat...
I just had my @$$ handed to me, quite literally, by Jen Sinkler. Getting Cheeky -- barbell in under 20 mins -- is a winner! great finisher to my UB Nia workout.

Karen - yes, I'm doing Jade's stuff still. I love working out that way - yes, he's annoying (I prefer his wife, Jill when she's instructing). I really like the 'rest based' stuff. So much so that I use the technique for other workouts - I don't follow the protocol set by the w/ o (eg 40/20) but just go for what I can.
I can't praise simple and sinister enough. I had to get the Kindle version (sadly, no hard copy available in the UK) but I love what he has to say. I've done his warm-up, which improved my squat straight off. I then tried some of his techniques with a very light bell . It all sort of makes sense (OK, weird thing to say, but it just does). He recommends only 2 KB moves - the Turkish get-up and a single armed swing. His instruction is spot-on. It's quite like Mark Lauren, in the sense that it's all about precision rather than speed or weight (that will follow). The sort of w/o where yoga really helps.
Oh, and Russian strongwomen are called girevichkas. They're are held in very high esteem......something we could learn from in the west?????

Roz - oh, please get some bells! More workout-sharing.....

I'll try Getting Cheeky! Sounds fun. There's only one I've tried so far which left me a bit 'meh' (the Beasty B)- but it may have been my timing on the barbell rollouts. I found the 1st and 3rd circuits had too much rest time, and the 2nd, I couldn't get through!

Roz - oh, please get some bells! More workout-sharing.....
Justine, it's just a matter of time until I cave.
BTW, I was going to ask you two (or anyone else who wants to chime in)... if I we're to buy two KBs for starters, which two should I buy (weight load, that is, not brand)?

Oh, I also had fun with the Turnaround (LWF2) yesterday. Under 30, minimal equipment (resistance band and sliding discs). Kept things moving. But those reverse lunges were MEAN!
Justine, yeah, I prefer more flexible rest setups. With Getting Cheeky today, I only rested between the 5-min circuits, and that was perfect.

Check out the website kettlebellkings.com. I bought a set of 3 kettlebells with free shipping. The set was called the queens. 16kg, 20 kg, 24kg.
http://www.kettlebellkings.com/womens-kettlebell-sets/

Oh my gosh, just checked the website. The price has gone up significantly. Ok, check out artofstrength.com, they're in Providence, RI, and Dragondoor.com.
Also check out Pavel's new website strongfirst.com.
I think Lauren Brooks, also sells kettlebells.
Any local sports store, may have a few.

Last edited:
I think Amazon has the best prices:
http://www.amazon.com/Single-Solid-Cast-Iron-Kettbell/dp/B0061ZLTYY/
They're not metric, but one could get a set of 35, 45, and 55 (16kg, 20kg, and ~24kg) KBs for ~$150. I can't find a similar price anywhere else.
I wonder if a 16kg is too much to start with for pressing? Thoughts? I really just don't have a sense...

Looks like a great deal. You're strong, don't start too light. The 35,45 and 55 look great. JMO. Another thought. A random 25 or 26 lb. To get the feel of pressing, something that is not too heavy, is a great idea.

I find the 16kg to be a bit heavy for my shoulders if I'm doing a LWF or similar. I could really do with a 12kg for the higher rep pressing stuff (I sub a DB). The 22kg is perfect for 2 handed swings - get my heart rate right up there after just a few! My 8kg bell serves only as a warmup, and to learn new moves.

Roz - I looked at the Turnaround workout...that's a lot of reverse lunges! It's on the cards for Wednesday......

I may wait until I find a good price on some used ones, but let me ask you this, too, while we're on the subject...
Do you ever wish you had doubles of any of your kbs (i.e., two identical kbs)? And do you ever feel you'd need something heavier than 24 kg?

I may wait until I find a good price on some used ones, but let me ask you this, too, while we're on the subject...
Do you ever wish you had doubles of any of your kbs (i.e., two identical kbs)? And do you ever feel you'd need something heavier than 24 kg?

There are times I wish I had doubles. But, it's mostly for my lighter KB. There are so many routines that use doubles. It will be a loooong time before I need or want doubles for the heavier ones. I have one 26 lb KB. Wish I had another one.

On another note, it's 104 degrees right now. But it's a dry heat. (my oven is a dry heat too, but I don't stick my head in it) lazy day.

Last edited:

If you have a local Walmart, they sell CAP kettlebells in sets for pretty cheap. IF you can do ship to store, shipping is free. Always a price issue with weights from most other places. Website has 40/45/50 for $90

I have a 20# 30. 40. and a 50...I used them for cardio on off days while doing sts..I seem to suck on technique( as usual) and beat the hell out of my wrist on cleans!!! I scratched my watch doing them ( I know..who wears a watch while lifting??) I think about trying to incorporate them again but am pretty happy now for the time being doing a body part a day

I'd really like a double 16kg. I'm also going to be needing heavier than 22kg fairly soon. Technique makes a huge difference to how heavy you can swing- and it's all in the glutes. So if you can deadlift heavy, you can swing heavy. Simple and sinister has been a huge help. I don't use the bells for overhead stuff quite so much - but I remember bruised wrists when I first started!!!

Karen, it's due to be 30c in England this week- I think that's around 100f....and we're really not used to it here, so it'll be early workouts for me xx

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.