Nia Shanks

Omg Karen, I would die at 1200 calories.
Tom, if you get desperate, there are more and more states now that will give you a 'special' prescription that will have you pounding whole large pizzas in no time flat, LOL.

Gotta interject here...

Karen, 1200 calories? WTH? I am weeping at the thought. This might have something to do with the fact that I'm the resident milk truck for my baby girl, but still!

Tom, I agree with Roz about the special prescription, and after you finish your pizza you could have a batch of 'special' protein brownies for dessert. I'm guessing you don't live in the right place, but seriously you might consider making some homemade protein brownies, appropriate for the under-aged crowd as well. There are some really delicious recipes out there, and since you're looking to bulk you can throw in extra protein powder, greek yogurt, and gobs of peanut butter or other nut butters as well. Even if you're not a baker, they're easy to make and are an easy, quick snack or pre/post workout meal.

Wait! I just realized your problem. Tom, do you live near a Trader Joe's? If so, stop in and fill your cart with something called Cookie Butter. Karen, Roz, and I can all bear witness that, after just one taste, you'll never worry about meeting that 3000+ daily calorie range again!

Keep up the great work, team! You are all doing well and still going at it despite setbacks, which is a victory in and of itself, am I right?

3 cheers for team Nia/GSF2/LWF, et al.

Lisa

I remember Woodstock!! I will have to pull out my patchouli oil and beads. Oh, and where did I put my peace symbol? Ironstock!!! I'm there!
Oh, to be seventeen again, on second thought, maybe not! Maybe seventeen, but knowing what I know now. That would be ok. Maybe. I'm talking to myself again.

What was I thinking...? Still feeling yesterday's deadlifts and chinups, I went for Julia Ladewski's 'Fight for Your Right' from LWF1. Just, ouch. I used two 15# DBs so it was definitely metabolic but I had to take so. much. rest. In the best way. It took nearly the full 30 mins.

Karen, I agree, I don't have that 'to-be-sixteen-again' feeling. Being a teenager is hard!

So, I turn my back for a couple of days, and you lot have turned into hippy space cadets! I've laughed so much, I certainly won't need an extra abs session this week! Ironstock - I'm up for it.

Roz - I've done a couple of Julia Ladewski's w/os and thought they were great (I signed up for some free ones). Tougher than they sound.

I've been doing masses of conditioning stuff - 3 or so LWF2 every day (eg 2 x <10 mins plus a <30 mins), and have loved the variety. I've just done whatever feels 'right' on the day. Sort of biofeedback for metabolic stuff. I may even do another week of it, delaying the start of GSF2. Not sure.

Anyway, I went to a clothes sale the other day, and nothing fitted. :( The lady helping me expressed her sympathy that my shoulders and back were so broad, and commiserated that I 'couldn't diet them away'!!!! I could barely stop myself from spluttering with laughter I've been trying SO hard to get them to grow.

Which leads me to a question - what sort of dresses style-wise do you go for? What suits? I'm having a wardrobe makeover, because nothing fits or flatters any longer. (Tom - feel free to express your taste in dresses ;) )
I DID buy some leggings that I saw Jen Comas wearing - but I need smarter stuff than that. Oh how lucky I am to consider this a problem. But, what's a girl to do?

So, I turn my back for a couple of days, and you lot have turned into hippy space cadets! I've laughed so much, I certainly won't need an extra abs session this week! Ironstock - I'm up for it.

Roz - I've done a couple of Julia Ladewski's w/os and thought they were great (I signed up for some free ones). Tougher than they sound.

I've been doing masses of conditioning stuff - 3 or so LWF2 every day (eg 2 x <10 mins plus a <30 mins), and have loved the variety. I've just done whatever feels 'right' on the day. Sort of biofeedback for metabolic stuff. I may even do another week of it, delaying the start of GSF2. Not sure.

Anyway, I went to a clothes sale the other day, and nothing fitted. :( The lady helping me expressed her sympathy that my shoulders and back were so broad, and commiserated that I 'couldn't diet them away'!!!! I could barely stop myself from spluttering with laughter I've been trying SO hard to get them to grow.

Which leads me to a question - what sort of dresses style-wise do you go for? What suits? I'm having a wardrobe makeover, because nothing fits or flatters any longer. (Tom - feel free to express your taste in dresses ;) )
I DID buy some leggings that I saw Jen Comas wearing - but I need smarter stuff than that. Oh how lucky I am to consider this a problem. But, what's a girl to do?

I'm laughing big time, reading your post Justine. I know exactly how you feel. If it fits through the shoulders, the waist is huge. If it fits through the waist, can't get your arms through the armholes. In dresses I have to go up a size. I have a very good friend that is a tailor, that will fit the outfit for me. Usually I will have her make my clothes. They always fit so well, and she is very reasonable. Some clothing lines, size their clothes for athletic women. If it's just kicking around clothes, I buy from them. Unfortunately, you have to "shop around" to find what works for you. When I was in school, Home Economics was an offered class. My mother insisted I take the class. She was afraid I wasn't going to be very domesticated. (she was right, by the way) but I did learn to sew. Sometimes I make my own clothes. (if it's not over the top complicated) Find a clothing line that you love, and fits your body type well. Then shop that line. I know, it's a lot of clothes (trying on) but it's worth it. Hope this helps. I have a tendency to ramble on and on. Good luck on this sometimes discouraging journey!

Coming back to edit. I think women's clothing designers, (some of them) are catching a clue that women workout now, and we are not all built like a twig. Some of them are designing their clothing accordingly.

Last edited:

Justine...My favorite dresses are the ones with women in them...conversly, my favorite women are the ones without....well, nevermind!!!! So sorry!! (the preceding was said for comic relief and does NOT in any reflect the views of the author!!) Haha

I'm driving home from a dental reunion and had to pull off the road and make this comment. You all should be so proud those clothes don't fit you, they are not designed for women that can do what you can do!!! You don't need a "man" to get a box off a shelf, in fact they may need you!! So put on a" tent" if necessary, but know you look good UNDER it!! You should all celebrate what you are capable of and the hard work that makes that possible!! ( Just a guy that may need help with that box on the shelf)!!

I'm driving home from a dental reunion and had to pull off the road and make this comment. You all should be so proud those clothes don't fit you, they are not designed for women that can do what you can do!!! You don't need a "man" to get a box off a shelf, in fact they may need you!! So put on a" tent" if necessary, but know you look good UNDER it!! You should all celebrate what you are capable of and the hard work that makes that possible!! ( Just a guy that may need help with that box on the shelf)!!

Tom, you are hilarious!!

I love that message about inferior clothing. It should be compulsory reading for all young people. It goes further than just clothes. If we don't fit a mould, in any aspect of life, we should question the validity of the mould, not ourselves.

(I got all serious for a moment there.)

Another "not great day". But I did show up! I did same weight for 2 sets then dropped 20# and did 3 longer sets, dropped another 20# and did a set of 8...POOP!!(cleaned it up a bit) Did inverts 4x8 suspended pushups 4x12 and dropped curls 5# and did 10 10 5(wide) 10. Yunno, not everyday is a great day and until I get my intake up, this is probably the "new norm" Not happy but at least effort was made.Hope everyone else has something to brag about today!!

Did Ho Co 1 this morning. I can now make it through withought pausing the dvd. I don't think these will ever be easy, and I sweat buckets. Have to get my clothes fumagated after the workout. But, I can't stop doing them. What does that say about me? Don't answer!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.