New tapes look too hard!!

I am a bit afraid of these new workouts also!! I will definately have to modify many of the moves. I really only have about one hour a day to work out and it is difficult to make great strength and cardo gains with such limited time. I will give it my all though, and even if I cannot quite get to Cathe's level I hope to improve. Do you think there is hope for me with only one hour a day?

I, for one, cannot wait to get into these workouts. They look like such a challenge and I am up to it!!! I especially can't wait for Core Max, that one will be excellent! The "levitation" move is done in a lot of yoga workouts and they are tough. I bet Cathe holds that pose a tad longer than a yoga instructor would! LOL!!! I'm so excited about these workout, I just cannot wait!
Debbie in OH

I CAN'T WAIT for these workouts! With the exception of P90X, there is nothing else like this on the market for home exercisers and I'm SO READY for another "hardcore" series of workouts.

Tony's catch phrase in P90X was 'Bring It'. Somebody needs to think of a catch phrase for our new Hardcore workouts....????
I keep wanting to say "Bring it on Cathe"...but it doesn't sound very original. LOL:) Perhaps Cathe will have a phrase for us..? Something you can grit your teeth to and go grrrr...with your happy face on...like in BootCamp. LOL

Olivia, I had a terrible, terrible time doing the pike move on the stability ball. I thought I would never get it, so I gave up for a long while. I started reading posts from all the girls, here at Cathe's, mastering that move. It was very comical to see my endevors, but I got it. The thrill of doing something that you didn't think possible is invigorating and gives you a big boost of motivation. You almost feel invinceable...for awhile. LOL

I have to say that every series Cathe has put out I've been sitting in front of my TV previewing & thinking I will NEVER be able to do that move! Sometimes I've been quite sure I couldn't do a whole workout. But when I was ready, I did. Of course I have to modify some things until I'm ready for them. Nothing wrong with that. But Cathe has amazed me by teaching me SO many things I would never have thought possible B.C.

I now consider myself an advanced exerciser. ADVANCED! Me, who can trip & fall walking across the room. It still gives me a thrill & awes me every thime I acknowledge that I AM ADVANCED!! Which is not to say I'm at Cathe's level...probably never will be. I'm not sure what to call her level...Superwoman is the only thing that comes to mind.;-)

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to levitate either! LOL But I intend to try, & try, & try.

Now Ajock is a little...um...nuts! But she's right. And she's also the person 2nd to Cathe whom I try to emulate. Cause she LOVES a challenge, & she's taught me to look forward to challenge too.

Olivia, all I'm trying to say is, you are not alone...we're all grunting & groaning & trying & trying with you.:)

Ruth:7

Another note from the Nut -

One of the fundamental principles of exercise science is the "training effect" - if you challenge yourself physically your body will adapt to those challenges and what was once challenging becomes more comfortable. And once something becomes more comfortable, well . . . time for greater challenge. By acknowledging this principle, I've been able to shave about 7-8 beats off my resting heart rate (from 52 bpm down to 45 bpm) since bring Cathe into the mix, and giving myself permission to try to go further than she and her crew do once I've mastered each challenge as originally produced. That's only one example of how I've benefited physically.

I say again: YOU CAN DO THIS. Maybe not all at once and maybe not overnight, but you can do this. Be consistent, be persistent, never shrink from a challenge (and this may mean doing the workouts you "dread" the most more often, because The Dread Factor usually is a function of how hard the workout pushes you), and you will be amazed at how far you can go.

I often tell my aqua participants, "A little bit more than you did before, each and every session, and you will go far beyond what you thought you could - if you believe in yourself."

A-Jock The Nut
(You Are What You Eat)

A-Jock -

Your post reminded me of the time I went to give blood, about five months ago, before I quit exercising (selling a house, moving, life, etc.). The guy took my heart rate and couldn't believe my heart rate was 56 bpm. He took my pulse TWICE MORE and still, 56 bpm. I could hardly believe it myself - after all, one chart after another told me I was either overweight, obese, or overweight and obese.

But it was all Cathe, the Body Blast series, and Jillybean's premix rotation that did it for me.

Here I was, technically "obese" at 5'3" and 165 pounds with the heart rate of an real athlete! So I second you're advice! I just kept pushing myself a little more than the week before.

Of course, I'm miles away from my 56 bpm peak fitness now, but I'm sure I can get there again. I'm so angry with myself for letting stress and "life" in general get in the way of my workouts, but there's no use complaining - just get to work and do what you can!

Susan L.G.

Obviously I have no future as a motivational speaker. Some of what Cathe does, I will be unable to do. Age and life preclude that I will be able to devote the effort it would take to get there. I do think, however, I will get a lot out of this series. I will modify some, and I will work up to some, and if I can do 90% of what Cathe does, it'll be better than 100% of almost any other workout video out there.

That's what I love about Cathe's workouts--they are always just a little bit (and sometimes a LOT) too hard for me but every time I do them, the gap between my abilities and the workouts as demonstrated narrows. Doing those pikes on the ball seemed nigh impossible at first but now I can do them (well most of them). It's like buying a pair of jeans in a size too small--one day, after working hard and eating better, you put them on and you can get them up over your hips, then later you can button them and then still later you can zip them too. Best feeling in the world.

Looking forward to these. Just like the Intensity Series, Blast and now HardCore. BRING IT ON! What I cannot do I will modify until I can.

Kim

I imagine that Cathe is watching me and boy does that keep me going!!! I am definatley looking forward to a challenge.

catherine}( }(

>I am a bit afraid of these new workouts also!! I will
>definately have to modify many of the moves. I really only
>have about one hour a day to work out and it is difficult to
>make great strength and cardo gains with such limited time. I
>will give it my all though, and even if I cannot quite get to
>Cathe's level I hope to improve. Do you think there is hope
>for me with only one hour a day?

I have even less than an hour on most days and I can happily say that I have been able to master and do many of Cathe's workouts. Her pre-mixes are great for shorter workouts. I love a challenge. I hate it when I buy a workout and I have mastered it in a week. So far, I have not outgrown any of my Cathe videos. Infact, once I finally master the choreography, I then can really just concenterate on getting my heart rate up. I bought the intensity series when they came out and it was only last month that I was able to finally finish it!

Ditto about the modification. I modify all the time. I even use my rebounder to modify the high impact. If there is a move I just can't do,I skip it for a while.

We all asked Cathe to give us some advanced workouts and it appears that she is.

Don't be scared. Just do the best you can!
Believe you can do it and you will and when you get to that notch you will feel such an awesome feeling of accomplishment!
Embrace it and do what you can. Don't ever feel scared, your body can do more that you think it can.
I myself am looking sooo forward to taking it up ! After I committed myself to get fit my body has changed so dramatically that people can't believe it's me. I've lost 45 pounds in the last 15 months and Cathe has helped me get the body I thought I never could get back again. I look better now than when I was before I had my kiddos.
Just believe in yourself! :7

Olivia, you're not alone. But as a long-time exerciser with Cathe, you probably know better than me (I only discovered Cathe about 18 months ago) that what looks impossible now will be very doable someday...maybe sooner than you think. I haven't mastered pikes on the ball, but every time we (Cathe, crew and me) do something with the ball, it's easier. Well, balancing on the ball is easier. I didn't preorder Hardcore, but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't part of my reportoire just like BB and the Intensities. Earlier this summer after tearing the cartilage in my knee and learning I have arthritis in same knee, I was told stepping is out...most likely forever. Then I read about how stepping was invented and developed and some ideas to make stepping easier (try lowering the step...duh!!), now I'm stepping happily again and with less pain and difficulty:)

Okay that's kind of long...but, Olivia, take your fears and tackle what workouts you've got in preparation and I'll bet you'll be raving about Hardcore before long!!!!

Like I tell my fitness classes, "if this wasn't hard everybody would be here doing this, it's the hard that makes it GREAT!!!" We also know that if we are doing our best then we are doing it perfectly!!!:)

I can't wait for these hard workouts and doubt that I'll be able to do everything well at first. A little longer and stronger evey time I try and before I know it, I'll be having fun right along with Cathe and crew and you will too!}( :)

Take Care
Laurie

Here's my 2 cents:

Babies aren't really good walkers or runners until they've had lots of practice. I'm sure that in their little heads, they probably can't understand how people do that walking thing. Most of the time, they fall down a lot while learning to walk, but eventually they get the hang of it once their little muscles get conditioned. Just think that you're taking little baby steps every time you attempt a workout -- and eventually, if you stick with it, you'll be running through the workouts like a pro.

Secondly: The way I see it, if these ladies can do this workout, and the gym is "packed to capacity on Wednesday morning" as one of the new workout's descriptions stated (meaning that all those people can do the workouts, too), then why can't I?

The other thing I do when a workout gets too tough for me, ...I take a break. I am asthmatic, and let's face it - I'm not as young as I used to be, so getting through some of these routines is going to be tough for me and it will take longer for my body to get used to the them. So, I do what I can do, and rest when I need to. I eventually build up to a routine (it took me almost 2 months to be able to get through Cardio Blast without stopping or messing up the routine; and the other day, I did a couple of more advanced and intricate ab exercises that I thought I would NEVER be able to do. I still can't do planks with one arm and one leg extended, but I'm getting there!)

So, don't give up. Stick with it. Be positive - you can you can you can you can you can you can!

>Earlier this
>summer after tearing the cartilage in my knee and learning I
>have arthritis in same knee, I was told stepping is out...most
>likely forever. Then I read about how stepping was invented
>and developed and some ideas to make stepping easier (try
>lowering the step...duh!!), now I'm stepping happily again and
>with less pain and difficulty:)

I can't even use a step. My asthma pretty much keeps me on the floor...but I still get a tremendous workout....I'm all covered with sweat afterward and everything. So, if you find that using your step is still too hard on your knees, don't think that you can't get a good workout without it. You can still do high impact, just without as much "impact" on your knees. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.