New Runners November 2009

Have a wonderful holiday in Hatteras Lisa!

I can't wait to get back to my workouts! I've been wrapping my wrists and doing my pushups on dumbbells to keep my wrists straight so there's no pressure on them. Seems to be working well!

Now, I just need to get over this mess that started Friday night! Had a 103.3 temp yesterday - no temp today, but feeling exhausted! Should be much better tomorrow!

Hi everyone!

Jane and Tricia ~ Hope you both get to feeling better soon! I have some tendonitis in the my wrist and elbow that are related to typing and computer use. Not fun. Hope you can get it under control Tricia.

I did Legs and Glutes on FitTV this morning. I really like that workout. I think I am going to add it to my Christmas wishlist on Amazon. I also split firewood.

I ran three miles yesterday (steady state) and did yoga. Tuesday I head out of town for Thanksgiving - heading to Hatteras and my boys! Woo hoo!

Lisa

Bump. Bumpity. Bump. Bump. Bump!

Hi ladies,
I finally found us buried on the second page of the checkin section. We didn't even show up on "today's posts"!

I did Pyramid Upper body this morning and then segued right in Core Max on FitTv. Felt good. Today was a crazy day at work and I probably won't get any cardio in. If I have enough time in the morning I will do Providence but I might have to skip the workout in deference to getting the hell out of Dodge :D.

Tricia ~ thanks for the well wishes. How are you feeling today? Lots better I hope!

How's everyone else doing?
Lisa

Hi All,

I'm posting late tonight. I'm at my parent's this week, helping my mom take care of dad. Finally got him to bed. It was tough tonight. He kept wanting to go upstairs (no upstairs in this house). I couldn't get him to take his shirt off, then finally got him to do that and then to the bathroom. Once in the bathroom, the switch flipped and he was fine. So weird, this disease.

Anyway did not workout tonight. Ankle is getting better but still is a little swollen. I'm not sure I'm working out tomorrow. I want to but I really want to get my ankle totally healed so I'm trying to be good. I can walk without limping but it's still not 100 percent.

Tricia ~ Hope you're feeling better.

Lisa ~ Have fun in Hatteras!!!

Hi Lisa and Jane!

Feeling much better today, thank you! Just that nagging semi-productive cough (TMI?) left. Haven't worked out any, too exhausted, but hopefully tonight. Working today, so we'll see how much energy I have left after that! On the good side, it forced me to rest my wrists and it would seem the tendonitis has resolved, even in the right wrist which was the worst. So, I'll keep wrapping and see how it goes once I get back to working out!

Lisa - Good workout yesterday!

Jane - I couldn't imagine dealing with what you and your family are living with. Stay strong! That must take a lot of your energy and not leave much left over.

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving - everyone!

Jane and Tricia ~ I'm glad you are both healing and thanks for the well wishes! Jane, I'm so sorry. That must be very difficult - ((HUGS)).

I didn't work out this morning and I'm getting on the road now - Hatteras here I come. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

Lisa

I did 20 min. of yoga yesterday and I did Step Fit this morning. My eats are a little bit out of control but not terrible. So far ok today.

Tricia- For more drool consider this on Sunday I made rugelach and miniature cinnamon raisin loaves. Yummo! I hope your wrists feel better. When they told me I had tendonitis in my shoulder it turned out my neck was out of alignment from a car accident that I had walked away from thinking I was fine. I hope you figure out how to get that better soon. My Dad has been fighting a nasty cold for a couple of weeks that was trucked in from Southern CA from another guy in the office. I’ve been ok, I keep thinking I’m sick but I take airborne and a bunch of vit. C and I seem to be ok.

Cindi- If you ever get the chance to take your daughter to see Yo Yo Ma in person do it, I saw him at the Mondavi and it was magical. He played Bach and also some original works from film scores.

Lisa- I have to give all my baking away too because if I eat it all I will just be so annoyed with myself lol. I hope Pip Squeak is feeling better. I want to get LG too. It looks like fun.

Jane- I’m glad your ankle is feeling better. Sorry about the knee!

Hi Everyone!

I'm doing some sort of workout tonight but not sure what. The swelling on my ankle is now only in the front of the bone so I'll test it out tonight. I haven't wore a regular shoe for a week (only mules) so I guess I'll see if I can get a shoe on. I really want to workout hard and I miss my runs!

Lisa ~ Thanks for the hugs!

Tricia ~ Hope you feel better soon!

You just deal with things the best you can. I try to find the lesson in the darkness because I know it's there.

Alisha ~ I know what you mean about baking. I just made a couple of batches of cookies for a bake sale for my sister. I LOVE baking but I try to give it all away. For Thanksgiving, I'm making a cake that looks like a big oreo cookie.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Hi Ladies,

I miss all of you. I haven't been running much in the last two weeks :( and I really miss it. So I will hop onto my treadmill tonight and run a slow 4 miles. I think that even though I got great results with the shorter runs and circuits, I miss my long runs. I am more consistent when I am logging miles. So I guess that I will go back.

I think that for me, I like the mental benefits of running....my results may slow down a little, but emotionally the last too weeks have been rough. Well.....for now, I'm back to logging my miles......

Sydney

bump bump bump!

Jane- Don’t run too soon, it will just make the recovery time longer. The oreo cookie cake sounds like fun.

Sydney- I like the mental benefits of running too.

This morning I did an hour of easy yoga. I’m off to work soon and will be running the video camera all afternoon. My Dad got a job offer yesterday so that’s really good. It means we will continue to live here next year. Also, as of today he was put on full time from part time through January on this job. Now the trick is for me to follow in his footsteps and find a job for full time. I’m working on my portfolio and job skills in the meantime. I hope everybody has a great Turkey day!!!:D

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my friends here in our little running world! I hope all of you enjoy a wonderful day with family and friends!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING LADIES!!!

I ran 3.5 miles last night while my mom road her bike. We swapped out dogs each lap so all 6 dogs (3 of mine, 3 of hers) got a run. We're going to do the same thing again this morning. Hope everyone is having a great day!

Lisa

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

I didn't workout today but my ankle is much better. Hope to get back to working out tomorrow.

Good afternoon running ladies,

Thanksgiving was good but a little adventurous ~ the oven didn't want to work so things were a little touch and go but we finally got everything done and on the table and it was late but great. We've been getting in plenty of walking, running, and biking since all 6 dogs need to be walked each day.

We woke up this morning to the wind blowing and the sound over the driveway. Andy can get in and out in his giant Bronco but my parents are stuck with their little Subaru Outback. They were going to go home today but it looks like they'll be here at least until tomorrow but we have plenty of leftovers :).

I'm going to try to do kettlebells this afternoon. Both of my horseback rides so far have been cancelled. I've got my fingers crossed that I'll have a ride tomorrow if the wind lays out.

How's everyone else doing?
Lisa

Hi Everyone,

We are having a very sunny but cool day here in South Georgia. It's a beautiful day for a run but I'm still resting my ankle. I did P90x Shoulder and Arms (about 30 minutes) and then did some kettlebell ab work and 40 hand to hand swings. I finally put a shoe on today with an ankle wrap and it worked fine. Ankle felt great.

I'm heading out to the stores tomorrow. We always adopt a needy family for Christmas so we are shopping for them. We don't do a gift exchange with family anymore. Hopefully we'll be able to get everything we need tomorrow.

Lisa ~ Your Thanksgiving sounded like fun. Sorry you can't go horseback riding but at least you are running, walking and biking. Hope you get your ride in tomorrow.

Jane,
Glad to hear your ankle is feeling better :)! Good luck shopping. Hopefully you can get it all done. I hate to say it but I don't like Christmas shopping at all. Amazon wish lists are my best friend and I love doing it online. I have seven nieces and nephews, 3 siblings and their spouses, my parents, then Andy and his girls and family and then my friends and then I start to slowly freak out. I kind of wish we could get to a point where we didn't exchange gifts - not because I don't want to but because it gets overwhelming.

I did Providence this evening after dinner. Thought I might throw up but didn't :D. Not because I worked out too hard but rather because I'd eaten leftovers and a bowl of apple crisp first. I feel good now though.

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their holiday. Good night!
Lisa

Good morning Jane, Jenn, Alicia, Alisha, Janis, Tricia and everyone else!!

I'm bumping us back up. I hope everyone is doing well and recovering from the festivities. Yesterday I took the dogs for a long walk on the beach and went for a ride. This morning I'm taking Chip out for a fun ride. If you're on the beach in Hatteras ~ watch out for my flying spotted ass :p! Attached is a picture of me and Chip and of course, the obligatory "Three dogs posed in front of or on top of _____" picture. In this case, posed on the beach in front of a piece of driftwood.

After that, we're packing the car and heading back to the mountains. I still can't get my car in the driveway (I got it out by driving through the neighbor's yard) so I'll have to ferry my stuff back and forth with the pickup. I love life on the island. I'd rather be flooded in the than snowed in any day.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Lisa

Attachments

• Lisa and Chip.jpg
    Lisa and Chip.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Dogs on Beach.jpg
    Dogs on Beach.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1
Wow!

Lisa - What an exciting trip for you, huh? Super windy and wet! The pictures are beautiful! I love seeing the dogs in "pose!" They look like they're doing the Charlie's Angels standard pose! LOL! Glad you got a nice ride in at least before you went home!

Jane - It's good to hear that you are quickly mending! You'll be back in full swing before you know it!

Me, I'm finally starting to feel almost normal again! The cough that's been giving me so much trouble with my breathing is finally tapering off and I should be back in gear on Monday! Yea!!!!!

Still not getting any running done and I guess it's just going to have to wait until spring. I just can't seem to bring myself to get back in a gym. Burned once is enough I suppose! Even at $10 a month I can't do it. I just don't want to give anyone access to my bank account and then there's that automatic withdrawal fee, etc. so it ends up costing more in the long run. If they would accept cash, I would probably do it, but everyone want's immediate access and I just am not up for that.

Oh well, I'll just be calling on all of you for support all over again when I have to start over with C5K next year! I'll be cussin' my way back! :eek:

Anyway, Thanksgiving is done and now it's on to Christmas! We don't shop for extended family anymore. Everyone is all grown up, so we only shop for each other and our fur kids, of course!

Enjoy your Sunday! It's finally sunny here again! We rain, clouds and wind all week and it's nice to see the sun shining!

Take Care all!

Helloes to everyone!

Its a Sunday

Tricia- Happy Thanksgiving! I’m glad you are starting to feel better!

Lisa- Happy Thanksgiving! Sounds like your Turkey day was eventful! Apple crisp does not normally come to mind when I think of pre workout nutrition. I’m glad you didn’t puke, but I’m not surprised you felt like it. ;) Sounds like you are having a fabulous time in Hatteras.

Jane- Happy Thanksgiving! That’s neat about adopting a family for Christmas.

Hi Jenn, Sydney, Janis and the now defunct MStar!

I went for a 40 min. jog/walk this morning. I did nothing yesterday. I did do some shopping. But, then I spent the whole afternoon watching tv.:p I bought the cuddle buddies active underwear and wore them this morning. It was so nice to be able to feel my legs. I think its time for new shoes soon, I'm getting blisters.

Tricia ~ Thanks for the photo compliments. I totally thought the dogs looked like Charlie's angels and am so glad you said it! All of my friends think I'm nuts :eek: when I say it. I'm sorry you won't be able to run again until spring but that's life sometimes. I find that the longer I have been running, the better I am able to pick up after a hiatus. Hopefully you will find that is true for you too and you won't lose all of your physical and (most importantly!) mental training. Running is a very mental game for me.

I understand your frustration about a gym - why does everyone want electronic access to our lives now? I really feel better when I pay for things with cash.

Alisha ~ Yeah, apple crisp isn't my normal pre-workout fuel but it sure was yummy! Providence helped me get over the "ick" feeling I get when I've eaten poorly for a couple of days.

Tell me more about these "cuddle buddies active underwear". I'm dying to find some new underwear that works for me. I've always worn thongs and done fine but lately I've been looking for a more full-coverage pair that won't bunch up while riding or running or give me visible panty lines.

I've been needing some new running shoes too but keep putting it off until next month. I think they will have to be put off again in December.

Jane ~ How did shopping go?

I had a GREAT ride this morning. Chip was feeling spunky and we had lots of fun. I mostly just gave him his head and let him set the pace. We flew down the beach and spent a lot of time cantering back and forth. I will really be feeling it in the morning as we are much more sedate when we have customers on the ride :D. We did some shelling too. Chip is a great shelling buddy, he'll walk next to me and likes to check out each shell I pick up. I found a perfect sanddollar - it still had all of its fur on it.

I didn't make it off the island today afterall. I meant to but just didn't get it done. I'm going to wait and drive back early in the morning.

Lisa

Hi everyone! I'm back from vacation. Still ran while we were out of town. Managed 21 miles last week over 4 runs.

Is there going to be a new thread tomorrow for December?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.