New Runners November 2009

Good morning ladies,
Bumping us up! Someone how we made it to the second page of the Check-in Section :confused:. And Morningstar thought we were doing fine without here :rolleyes:.

I didn't run this weekend. In fact I didn't do much of anything on Saturday but yesterday I went climbing at Shortoff Mountain ~ the hike in and out alone is a workout! We hiked in (a little over an hour), scrambled and rappelled down 300+ feet, climbed back up 300+ feet and hiked out again. Went and got pizza, came home and went to bed. It was beautiful - 75 and sunny and we could see more than 40 miles in 180 degree view for most of the day. Absolutely gorgeous.

Today I'm going to do a cardio coach or take a nice long walk with the dogs. I'll probably wait until tomorrow to lift.

Tricia - I hope you had a great weekend.

Cindi - I know how the wind can screw you up. Hope you are feeling better and had a great weekend.

Jane - I'm with you, I'd have to be dead before you could get me into an ice bath!

Waving hi to Alisha (hope your family is doing well), Skyy, Jenn, Janis, Morningstar and everyone else!

Lisa

Hi All,

I'm not sure what I'm doing tonight. We are expecting some weather from T.S. Ida. It's cloudy and windy right now. My sister is planning on coming over so it may be an indoor workout. I'm also suffering from some allergy/sinus thing. I've had it for a couple of days but I keep working out. :eek: Yesterday I ran 6 miles but I felt great. So we'll see.

Lisa ~ I love hearing about your climbs. I wish I lived somewhere near a hill or mountain.

Cindi ~ Glad to hear you had great weather in Chicagoland!!! Nice run!

Waves hello to Alisha, Janis, MStar, Tricia, Sydney and everyone else.

Have a great day!!

Hi Sydney! Great to hear from you! Your running sounds awesome! I'm not running at all right now and it's making me nervous that I'll lose all my gains!

Jane - Awesome 5K run in Tallahassee! Good for you! I love that city! Used to go shopping and to concerts there pretty regularly! Your hike sounds wonderful!

Hi Lisa! I know, without Janis and Morningstar around we seem to be falling to Page 2 quite often! They would be so ashamed of us! LOL!

Hi Cindi! Great 6 mile run! I REALLY need to get my butt in a gym for that! Of course I am doing a lot of Cathe cardio in between my STS workouts.

Had a fun weekend, but didn't get ANY workouts in! The weather was beautiful! The more days we have like that, the better! It means we don't have to turn the heat on for another day! Had a horrible headache all day today! I was exhausted from it by the end of the day, but I still came home and worked out. It was nice that the headache was gone by the time I finished! I feel so much better now!

Helloes to all our MIAs again! Sending happy thoughts to everyone!

And its Monday the 9th of Nov.

Tricia- I’m not working out real early during the week either. I’m just running on the weekend too.

Lisa- I should have guessed the dogs do yoga, they invented it, down ward facing dog and upward facing dog. Wrestling Blood hounds definitely qualifies as a workout. I hear you Lisa, I’m craving the carbs right now too.

Jane- Thanks for the hugs/healing vibes. Wow, 20 races in one year, that’s dedication.

Cindi- There is a yoga pose which is like ‘drain’ your legs. Its called shoulder stand. It works like a champ to get lymph fluid out of your legs. I hope your cold is better.

Sydney- congrats on the body fat loss.

Jenn, Janis, and MStar- Wish you were here!

I think my last post was Saturday. I did LIS that day. On Sunday I did a 35 min. walk/jog. This morning I did CW cardio premix. My brother has about another week on the meds to go before he gets the root canal. He seems to be doing ok and his blood pressure is down. I will be spending the week working on my portfolio, studying and the video for my Dad.

My goal is to lose 1-2 pounds of fat this week. I will be staying focused on my eats.

My rotation for this week:
Sunday: Jog
Monday: CW
Tuesday: Yoga
Wednesday: LM
Thursday: off
Friday: Jog
Saturday: LIC cardio premix

Hi all! Did LIC last night. Will run today.

Tomorrow I fly to Denver and return late on Thursday. So I will be back on Friday. :)

Good morning,
I did the bonus premix on Pyramid today - love that premix. I sub in split squats with a leg lift (standing next to step with one leg on, squat and at the top do a leg raise with the lower leg) for the second set of leg presses and a split lunge (rear leg up on step) for the regular lunges. I've had a migraine since Sunday night (too much sun and a little dehydration I think) so I didn't do anything yesterday. I hope to get in a run today - steady state or cc depending on if I do it alone or with a friend - but I'm getting a lot of rain from TS Ida so we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm afraid that puppy class will get rained out again. That's the real frustration to running a class outdoors. I did pick a lot of fun seeds on Sunday so I have fun native plants for my plant propagation class to play with today.

Cindi and Alisha - A runner showed me the greatest stretch ever. You lie on your back next to a door frame and rest the heel of one foot on the door frame while the other leg lies on the floor stretched out through the doorway. It is a great hamstring stretch since it eliminates your lower back from the move and most of us women stretch through the lower back rather than effectively targeting the hamstring. I can do this stretch for minutes at a time and feel like it stretches and 'drains' the leg at the same time.

I'm slowly getting my diet back into shape and resetting my sleep schedule but its taking some real work and dedication. It was nice when the technician at my doctor's appointment yesterday took my weight and said, "Your so tiny!" but then she followed it up with, "And how many children do you have?" when the answer is none. Oh well.

Alisha - Good luck on your weight loss goal this week!

Tricia - I know! I'm starting to feel like a thread killer! We shall have to try harder to stay on the front page. I really enjoyed the nice weather this weekend too. It makes it easier to stay active and be productive. I so hate being cold.

Jane - Congrats on your race. Did you decide to do 20 races for a reason? Is it just to keep you motivated or was there a certain symbolism? Good luck on your next too as well.

Shortoff Mountain is a particular challenge with the hike in, scramble/rap down into the gorge and then your only option is to climb back out - very committing but the climbing and the views are worth it. Someone got lost hiking in there on Sunday too. I haven't heard if they've found him yet or not. There is some gorgeous rock up on the Blue Ridge Parkway too its a lot easier to get to than Shortoff but its nice to be so isolated that you don't see/hear any traffic.

Cindi - Have a great trip.

Hi to everyone else. Hope everyone is having a great day.
Lisa

Okay ladies,
I'm bumping us back up! Twice in one day! Puppy class is a wash out so I'm headed home. I'm going to try to jump on the treadmill for 40-45 minutes and run some intervals.
Lisa

Hi Everyone,

I'm not working out tonight. Last night I did a 30 minute kb workout but I'm just too tired and stuffy tonight. I did not get to work until noon today because of car issues. I got it fixed and drove about 20 miles (I work about 30 miles away) and had to turnaround and take the car back because it wasn't fix. Luckily they gave me a loaner (with an empty gas tank). :confused: Ida has been a non issue here. We got some rain but very little wind. It's cloudy now but not raining.

Lisa ~ I love the bonus premix on Pyramids! Sorry your puppy class was a wash out. :( There is no real significance for the 20 races this year. Racing helps keep me motivated. I also just love racing. I probably would have done more if I didn't have responsibilities with taking care of my dad. There are just so many fun races out there and I've met some really cool people. I also like placing in my age group and getting a medal or trophy. Believe me it's not because I run fast it's because I go to lots of small races.

Tricia ~ Glad you had a fun weekend. Working out really helps when you have a headache.

Alisha ~ Hope you stay focused on your eating. That is the hard part for me too!

Hope everyone has a great evening!!

Wow Lisa! Good for you! I haven't tried Pyramids yet. I have more than enough workouts to keep me busy for at least a year! LOL! I did chest, biceps and shoulders last night (STS) and TRIED to do Ab circuits - No Equipment Abs (that is one tough ab workout)! It doesn't help that I haven't been doing ANY abs until I started this rotation! Tonight, it was Imax 2! Whew! Talk about intense! I guess that's why they call it Imax!

Jane - Sorry about your car! It's so aggravating when they don't fix the problem! You don't get to take it back for free either! They make you pay AGAIN to fix what they were supposed to fix to begin with! Hope you get it back right this time!

Cindi - Enjoy Denver! I love that city! I've only been once, but it was a very memorable trip for me!

So, what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving? If anyone's going to be around Rhode Island, I'd love to have you over! It's always just my DH and me. Not that it's entirely a bad thing, I've heard other's horror stories about big holidays with lots of family, <shudder>, but occasionally, it would be nice to have someone over! I go all out! Fresh bird from a local farm, all sides are completely homemade, including dessert!

Can't wait to hear about all your plans!

Bumpity bump bump bump

Cindi- I hope you have a good time in Denver. The airport has a pretty cool native American jewelry shop. I was only there once on a lay over on my way to St. Louis for a legal video workshop.

Lisa- Don’t forget that some zinc can help with those migraines even after they have started. Also, a sports drink can help with the dehydration. I hope you feel better.

Tricia- Imax 2

This morning I did LM. Oh my tushie! I skipped yoga yesterday. Tomorrow is a yoga day. I did come down in my weight a bit, I guess the high number on Saturday was just water. Salty food does mask weight loss.

I'm spending today on final cut and getting some video done in the afternoon.

Thanksgiving is probably just my Mom, Dad and big brother. I wish he would take this whole BP thing more seriously. He is not an easy customer sometimes.

Hey ladies,
Okay so I never did make it onto the treadmill last night. I keep telling myself I'm going to get on it today but I haven't yet. The headache just won't stop, today is the first day of my period and it just won't stop raining so I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself. :)

Alisha - Do you mean zinc supplements like those marketed for colds? I haven't heard that before. I have a lot of things that trigger my migraines. It's hard when someone won't take their condition seriously. My friend has diabetes and just refuses to acknowledge or be responsible about dealing with it and it is so hard to watch. He'll take a vitamin that is marketed for diabetic health but won't watch his portion sizes or the glycemic index of the foods he's eating. Very frustrating.

Okay. Waving hi to everyone! I'm going to go get on the treadmill now, I promise...

Lisa

Hi Everyone!

No workout for me today. I'm still sniffling so I'm taking a rest day so I can hit it hard tomorrow. I am feeling better than I did this morning. I've had about 6 cups of green tea today. It makes me feel better! :):)

Cindi ~ Have fun in Denver!

Lisa ~ I hope you feel better soon!

Alisha ~ If there is one thing I've learned about family members is that you can't make then do anything they don't want to. This has been a hard lesson for me but I'm finally getting it.

Tricia ~ Thanksgiving in Rhode Island sounds like fun but maybe next year when I can travel! We are just having a small family gathering. I don't even think we are having turkey. We kinda make what we want and bring it over. Since I have been really strict with my diet lately I'll probably bring stuff that I've been craving for the last couple of months.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday!!

Jane ~ Thanks! I hope you feel better quickly too. I feel like I might be coming down with a headcold or maybe its just that I'm so unmotivated anyway :D.

Alisha ~ What is LM? Low Max?

Tricia ~ Wish I could! My plans are still up in the air. I will definitely be on the OBX with Andy (my boyfriend) and Chip (my favorite horse) but everything else is uncertain. His (Andy's) mom does a big dinner with 25-30 people :eek::eek::eek: but if I have to ride and he has to fish, then we'll do a little dinner at his house instead. My parents might come down too but don't know yet. As long as I have Andy and Chip and a wide open beach, I don't care about the rest of it but hope that my parents can make it.

I got on the treadmill - did 40 minutes (warm up, 30 second sprint, 90 second recovery intervals, cool down). I've attached a picture of what I saw as I was coming back up the stairs after. Apparently the dogs don't think the treadmill is an acceptable alternative to a walk.

We will all be happy when the rain stops. Tomorrow Buster's person comes home so we will also be happy to have our regular routine back. Its amazing how one more dog can cramp the routine (especially because I have to keep this one on-leash anytime we are outside the fence).

Attachments

• pups on steps.jpg
    pups on steps.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 7
Jane ~ Do your DOMS ever go away with kettlebells? I've been doing Providence about once a week but still get killer DOMS about 3 days after. (I have gradually worked my way up from a 10# kettlebell to a 15# and then a 20# so I'm definitely a lightweight but have been progressively more challenged.) I really like the workout and feel that it makes a difference but I'm also getting kind of tired of scheduling around two or three days of DOMS afterwards. I wonder if I am just not doing it often enough but I'm afraid if I do it twice a week and get the same DOMS I won't feel like doing anything else. Any thoughts?

Lisa

Alisha - If LM is Low Max, I know what you mean - OUCH! It is deceptively tough!

Lisa - Ugh! You poor thing! It's bad enough to be on your period, then add the rainy weather AND a headache? You're entirely justified in feeling sorry for yourself! Hope getting a bit of a workout in makes you feel better, at least a little bit!

Sounds like a great way to spend the holiday! Love your picture, too! I don't think they understand it either! They look so cute waiting there for you to give them THEIR workout for the day! LOL!

Jane - Hope you feel better soon, too! When you are able to travel, hope you can get up this way! There's so much fun stuff to do around here! I think your Thanksgiving dinner is a great idea! Makes for an interesting meal!

Keep it moving everyone! Waves and helloes to everyone else!

Jane ~ Do your DOMS ever go away with kettlebells? I've been doing Providence about once a week but still get killer DOMS about 3 days after. (I have gradually worked my way up from a 10# kettlebell to a 15# and then a 20# so I'm definitely a lightweight but have been progressively more challenged.) I really like the workout and feel that it makes a difference but I'm also getting kind of tired of scheduling around two or three days of DOMS afterwards. I wonder if I am just not doing it often enough but I'm afraid if I do it twice a week and get the same DOMS I won't feel like doing anything else. Any thoughts?

Lisa

Lisa ~

I rarely get DOMS from kettlebells now. I would increase your kettlebell workout to 2 days a week if you can. The first couple of weeks use a lighter kettlebell. If you don't get DOMS then move up in weight. When I get DOMS it's usually because I'm doing something new or different (putting stress on my muscles in a different way). You may not be doing it often enough. If you aren't doing so already, stretch after your kettlebell workout. That may help decrease the intensity of the DOMS.

Just bumping us back to page 1! Can't read much right now as I had my eyes dilated just about an hour and a half ago and I still can't see too well!

Yes, I did get my workout in before my appt!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Hi Everyone!

I did the following workout last night. The sun is finally out again! Yay!! :D:D

50 swings
21-15-9
BarbellThrusters
Slam Ball
50 swings

I'm still not feeling 100% but the workout felt great. I'm not sure what I'm doing tonight yet but it will be an outdoor workout with some running. I have a headlamp so I won't trip on my dirt road that is full of ruts. :confused:

I got my car back last night and so far so good!

Tricia ~ Hope your eyes are better today. Glad you got your workout in before your appt.

Hope everyone has a great Friday!!

Hi ladies! Trip was good - the weather was great which meant NO flight delays (YAY!).

Weight was maintained but no exercise because I was working all day both days. I was out in Highlands Ranch if anyone knows the Denver area. It's so dry there compared to Chicago but the mountains and the sunshine are so pretty.

Running today. I officially start my marathon training next week (it's a 24 week program).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.