New Runner - Need some tips

nicolegadino

Cathlete
Hi all -

I just started running and could use some tips from those of you who have been at it for a while.

I usually wear Nike Shox when I workout, but they are hurting my toes when I run, so any shoe suggestions? (My sister and some friends all lost a toenail at some point when they started running, so trying to avoid that).

Also, I learned the hard way that the sidewalks are too uneven in my town, so I need to stick with the street! Am I alone on that? Almost snapped my ankle off my first day!

Any tips on how to build up my stamina as well? I've always avoided running unless someone was chasing me, so I really don't have any idea how to go about it as a regular part of my fitness routine.

Thanks!

Hi Nicole!

I'm at one year and counting! I just started running last year! Yikes! Watch those uneven sidewalks!

Well, it sounds like you are running already, so you don't need to start with a beginner's program. I would try intervals - Cardio Coach has fabulous coached interval running downloads that will aid in speeding you up and improving your distance!

Doing plyo work is great for strengthening your legs for running. That will help your endurance and hill climbs a lot!

Look for a shoe with a wide toebox. The only brand I know of that has that is Ryka, but I'm sure if you go to a specialty running store, they can recommend others that also have that. There's nothing worse than when your toes are being pinched!

If you are interested, Vibram Five Fingers are a great minimalist shoe that have a sleeve for each toe, kind of like the toe socks. I love these! You don't have to worry about arches being too high or low. It mimics barefoot running, but with protection for the bottoms of your feet. Of course, if you go that route, you'll need to retrain your body to run a little bit differently.

Brooks makes a minimalist shoe that looks more like a regular running shoe (without the toes) that has a wider toebox called the Green Silence.

As you can see, I'm a strong proponent of the minimalist track. I have experienced resolution of my plantar fascitis, and knee and hip pain (after running). Since switching from regular running and workout shoes to minimalist shoes, nothing hurts anymore!

Here are websites:

www.cardiocoach.com
www.vibramfivefingers.com

Good luck!

Hope this is helpful! I'm sure the other runners here who wear more traditional running shoes will chime in with a ton of additional ideas for shoes and improving your running!

Oh! Almost forgot. www.coolrunning.com and www.runnersworld.com are great resources for tips on improving all of your running - technique, pace, distance, etc. as well.

A lot of new runners get shoes that are too small for running. You should get a size 1/2 to a full size larger than you normally wear. Feet swell during runs and your toes shouldn't make contact with the end of the shoe. A running shoe store can help you find the right shoe.

As far as running in the street - I see a lot of runners in the street but you just have to keep safety in mind. Run facing traffic, wear bright clothing, etc. Other options are local trails/paths or local tracks.

The best way to work on stamina is to use the couch to 5k program. Start slow, don't run too fast, the idea is to get used to running. Running is not like step or kick boxing, it requires its own conditioning. In the beginning I could jog for 15 seconds:p so don't feel bad if you aren't a runner when you start, and its ok to repeat the workouts more than once. Please take a day off between workouts, you can cross train if you want. Don't forget to stretch, its critical to preventing knots that cause a lot of pain. You can also ice your legs and have an anti-inflamatory like ibuprofen if you need it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of running!

I would suggest that you get larger running shoes. I wear an 8 1/2 in my regular shoes, but a 9 1/2 in a running shoe. I have lost toenails before, but only after long distances with a huge net drop in elevation.

The best way to work on stamina is to use the couch to 5k program. Start slow, don't run too fast, the idea is to get used to running. Running is not like step or kick boxing, it requires its own conditioning. In the beginning I could jog for 15 seconds:p so don't feel bad if you aren't a runner when you start, and its ok to repeat the workouts more than once. Please take a day off between workouts, you can cross train if you want. Don't forget to stretch, its critical to preventing knots that cause a lot of pain. You can also ice your legs and have an anti-inflamatory like ibuprofen if you need it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of running!

I totally agree that a couch to 5K program is a good plan to follow. I've been back to running for a little over a year now after a long layoff and started with that. I'm up to a 15 mile long run these days, so it doesn't take long to increase endurance. Also, one year ago my 5K time was about 35 minutes and I ran the same 5K a month ago in 24:49, so speed improves too. I do think that slow and steady is the key.

I'm not an expert runner by any means, but one thing I did learn earlier this year is to listen to your body! I had some terrible hip discomfort that I just shrugged off and kept pushing through. After reading a post on this board about when to change running shoes, I finally figured out that it was due to the fact that I was using shoes that were past their prime.:confused: I never really paid much attention to my shoes, I mean, they still looked good.....but when I started thinking about it, I had been using the same shoes for a year or more. After I made the change, it made a big difference in how my body felt.

My toes scrunch and blister in my shoes as well......so I like the previous tips on buying a half size to a size larger and also picking a shoe with a bigger toe box. Hmmmmm.....might have to check out the vibrams as well.

Thanks for posting........

Hi Everyone -
Thanks so much for the great advice! I'm going to get new shoes this weekend, and this morning I discovered a running trail in the park near my house when I was walking the dog, so I am going to give that a try as well.

I had never heard about the couch to 5k thing and there is a whole website about it! That is so great, I am definitely going to give that a go as well.

Thanks!

couch 25k is a great program - do it at your pace sometimes I would repeat a week if I didn't feel I was ready for the next step.

Most important is running shoes - go to a local running store - hopefully one near you - they will look at your foot and fit you with the right type of shoe. Also most running stores will allow you to use the sneaker for a week or so, so if the fit is not right you can return and get a different shoe.

Also go to runnersworld.com and go to the forums there. There is a beginners forum and everyone is very helpful.

Have fun and give it time. It took me two years to really like running - but now I am addicted. Ran my longest distance about a month ago of 6 miles and hoping to do a 10k in the fall.

Last edited:
I agree C25K is a great program. There are some good podcasts that you can download that will prompt you when to walk and run or you could program a watch if you have one. I like to use my Garmin but I also downloaded a podcast to my iPod. As far as shoes go, I would buy a larger size than you normally wear. I didn't do this at first and it made a huge difference for me. A local running store would be the best place to go to purchase new shoes because they can have you run on a treadmill to test your gait, pronation, etc. and recommend some brands. I usually wear Asics.

Couch to 5K

Hi,

I'm on week 3 on this schedule and so far it's going real well. I really like that you could just lace up your shoes,grab the ipod and just go. I find running in the morning while it's nice and cool a lot better than later in the day.

I bought a Nike + pod and sensor to help keep track and just got one of those things that attach the pod to your shoe so that it would work with any shoe instead of just nike. It's cheaper than getting a Garmin.

So I put the Cardio Coach in a playlist and I'm set. I ran on the TM last night and the calibration with the Nike + matched. Cool.

Add a little Yoga ( Rodney Yee has one DVD ... the one where he has clothes on! That has short yoga workouts and one is hip openers...it does wonders.)

One of the things I love most about running is the minimal amount of gear. It doesn't matter if my room is messy or I haven't done the laundry. I can just go out the door and the road is always there for me. I went for an interval joggle this morning and it was just great, the sun is shining, it wasn't too hot or cold and my stamina was there.

Btw, if you don't have a yoga program you like you can use Stretch Max.

Ditto to what several have already said:

• Get fitted for a new, well-fitting but a size-larger, pair of shoes.
  • Couch to 5K....my DS, who is 12, did this and finished successfully.
  • I run the streets instead of the sidewalk...I tend to have a low "pull-thru" of my feet (that's what I call it, lol, when I swing my back foot thru for my next step) so I tend to trip on the sidewalks....makes TRAIL running interesting, though! :)
  • Build stamina slowly...the only way to run further is to run further.

Good luck! I'm an addict myself! ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.