New Mommy - WHEN to workout???

welch

Cathlete
Oi, how do you find time to work out as a new mom?!? My daughter is 3 weeks old and nursing around the clock. I've been able to go on short 20 minute walks with her in the evenings, but I can't figure out how to get back in to a workout routine. Every time I think about starting a workout, she decides she wants to eat. Right now, she's eating every 1 1/2 - 2 hours and I'm sleeping maybe 5 hours during the night (and it's a broken up 5 hours). But I really, really want to start working out again. I'm just not sure when during the day to find time to do it.

What did you guys do in the beginning? Did you wait until your child was on a better schedule? Workout for only 10 minutes at a time?

And another question - what did you find was best to get your abs/core back in shape after pregnancy? I'm amazed at how weak my core is. I think I'll have to work back up to some of Cathe's core workouts rather than just jumping back in to them right away.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have. I appreciate it!!
Carrie

Congratulations on your new baby! :)

With Baby #1, I started exercising 3 days after delivery. Finding time to workout was near impossible (at times, I was exercising at 3am because that was when my daughter slept the longest, and I could manage just under an hour). The rest of the time, she was in my arms it seems.

I don't recommend this. I continued to bleed quite a bit and cheated myself of much needed sleep. Between exercising and eating very little, I got back into shape super fast, but I was a walking zombie.

I was smarter with Baby #2. :rolleyes: I used those first 6 weeks to really bond with my new baby and enjoy both girls. If I could get out for a walk, I took advantage, but I didn't punish myself like the first time around. By the time 6 or 7 weeks had passed, the baby was on a better schedule, and I could get a reasonable workout in. I felt better too. By month 3, she was sleeping better, and I was strong enough to start the FIRM again.

Give it time. Your 20 minute walks sound perfect. When you start getting more sleep, see if family can pitch in and help so you can get away for a bit. Oh, and those abs will come back, I promise. Any core work will help. Now, if they could only find something to restore the bladder! :p

Last edited:
Congratulations on your baby.

I was thinking the same thing. My baby is 4 weeks old and I started out last week. I did 3 firm work outs last week because I wanted to build up to cathe and because they are only around 30-40 minutes which I thought would be perfect but I found them to be too easy. So today I did my first cathe dvd Step Blast but only did 30 minutes of it which was perfect for me. So I plan to continue with cathe but only premixes and maybe a firm dvd here and there. My baby really takes a good nap between the hours of 10am-1pm so thats when I do it. Sometimes she does wake up while I'm working out but then I pause it so a 30 minute workout winds up being a 50 minute one but I dont mind as long as Im doing something.
But its good to know Im not the only one going through this.
Take care and good luck.

Lori-you hit the nail right on the head with the bladder thing. SOOO true I was LOL when I read this.

Congraduations on your baby girl!!! My daughter is 2 weeks old, she will be 3 on Sunday! I started working out 3 days after having my baby girl. I started with Cathe, Kick, punch and crunch. Now I'm running my 6 miles, weights, and floor cardio. My baby girl will usually eat between 2 1/2 -3 hours time frame. So what I do is once she's done with her feeding anywhere between 2-3am, I will stay awake and workout, but then again i'm use to getting up early am and working out. My regular workouts have always been between 3:30-4am. I wasn't able to get some time off with the baby, so my working out has help me cope with the emotional issues I was having with not being able to spend some alone time with my baby girl. Everyone is different, you do what is right for you and your baby, I know myself and I'm pretty darn stuborn, I like to get the weight off as quickly as possible! Good luck!!!

Lourdes

thanks for your replies everyone - i really appreciate all of your responses.

lori, you may be right. i was wondering if i should just wait until she's on a better schedule and i admit taking naps when she sleeps is helpful. otherwise i do feel like a walking zombie (it's funny you said that because i've been using that phrase a lot lately!). maybe i'll just stick with the walks for now while the weather is still good - fall and the colder weather will be here before i know it!

thanks guys,
carrie

I also have a 3 week old (not bf, though), and I just got back into my pre-preg clothes today. Got some more work to do, but they fit again.

This was my second child, so this has worked for me for 2 pregs now, since I had the same results after the first.

Take the baby with into your workout room. Put her on a blanket, pillow, bouncy, whatever and start working out. There will be days where she naps through the whole thing. There will be days where you have to stop every 10 minutes. Just get the work done. And it's OK if she cries for a minute or two while you finish a set! :) Aim to get through the video, and feed her as you need to. Just get the work done, even when you'[re tired.

For your core, PLANKS PLANKS PLANKS! Start on your knees, and aim to get through a 10 count. Then 20, 30, etc... when you can get through 30 on your knees, move to your toes. Same routine. (this is exactly what I've been doing) I added in crunches with the planks on my toes. 150/day. I started doing this the week I got home from the hospital. Literally. While you're pumping or feeding the baby, do deep breathing. I love to do this in the middle of this night. Deep breath in, contract the abs to your belly button and hold for 20. Do that the entire time you feed the baby.
You'll be amazed how fast your core strength comes back when you start doing these things!
Good luck, you can do it!

Carrie - I'm there with you. My girl is almost 8 weeks and I rarely even have time to wash my hair let alone work out! ;) I've only been in my pool twice since she was born and I'm lucky if I can do a load of laundry before she needs me. Hopefully, we'll both find some time to get back into a routine soon.

I too, struggled with finding time to exercise with my son. He was born 3 1/2 months ago, and I was nursing him as well up until 2 weeks ago. This is what worked for me....

-I walked with him and the dog in the stroller with a weighted vest on in the early morning hours while it was still cool. Nothing too crazy, just 15-30 mintues, whatever I felt like. I started doing this after about 10 days or so.

-Nap! Seriously, you need your sleep. Although i could only sleep for about an hour a day, those 60 minutes were enough to refresh me long enough to make me feel normal. With the sporatic sleep schedule, you've gotta get all the sleep while you can.

-I tried to get a workout in whenever I could/ sometimes it would be for only a short time, but any movement is good. heck, sometimes my workout would be climbing from my basement to the third floor trying to calm the baby down to keep exercising! LOL

updated..... I now have enlisted the help from hubby when he gets home from work to take over baby duties while I get an uninteruppted hour of me time to get the workout done.
Is this something you can do? It really has been so nice to concentrate on just me, without keeping an ear out for the baby monitor.

-Although specific ab exercises are necessary to get your core strong again, don't underestimate the power of sucking your stomach in throughout the day. This is something I do all the time along with Kegel's (no one knows your doing it).

- The way I look at it, every movement counts. And soon enough, your little one will be on more of a schedule, and it will get easier. Nursing in and of itself is a tough job, give yourself a break and try to incorporate a little here and there. This time goes by so fast, and you'll have all the time in the world to jump back on the Cathe train.

Congrats!

what about doing strength moves throughout the day? am i the only one that thinks of this? squatting while you brush your teeth, calf raises while you do dishes, whatever you think of. carrying the baby in those carriers that strap on your body. i bet you could do some exercises wearing that or just walking around the house. and nursing burns lots of cals, just dont overeat like i did.

Everyone has really good suggestions - I appreciate that. I found 15 minutes today to do the pilates sections from STS abs. Wow do my abs suck!! I am sooo weak :-( Oh well - I knew it would take time and effort for me to get back in shape. That's why I'm so anxious to find time now to workout.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I really appreciate it. It's also good to know I'm not the only having a hard time fitting fitness into the new mommy schedule!!

Hope you all have a great weekend - Carrie

Hello ladies,

How is everything going with the new babies? I cant believe samantha turned 6 weeks yesterday. Already! This thursday is my 6 wk pp drs. appt. It's amazing how fast the time is going by. Breast feeding didnt work out for me and sam. It was too overwelhming for me having another little one at home so I choose not to continue. I felt awful about it but I'm okay with it now.
During my pregnancy I gained 38 pounds and within the first 2 weeks I lost 26 pounds. I was really shocked at that. But they say you lose alot of weight right away but I didnt think it was going to be so much. That was 4 weeks ago. I've been working out with cathe and eating really good for the last 2 weeks and I'm stuck at 142lb. I have 17lbs to lose before I get to my prepregnancy weight.
I know I'm only 6 wks pp and I dont expect to lose the last 17lbs overnight but Im getting a little fustrated here. I'm thinking maybe my body is in shock mode from working out and holding on to the weight and then I will start to lose or maybe my hormones are all over the place and still need time to balance out or maybe because I'm about to get my period and retaining some water? IDK.
Anyway just venting goodnight ladies about to go watch thintervention on BRAVO with Jackie Warner.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.