Nervous Newbie

Xena03

Hi, Cathe,

I have been all over the web lately reading about your STS weight lifting program and I really like what I see. The problem is that I am currently a miserable 230 lbs (5'7") and am not sure if this is a good place for me to start. You should know that I have been running (aka fast jiggling) off and on for about 6 years and just finished my second half marathon in July of this year. I also bought your MMA boxing DVD and LOVE IT! I also did a little lifting many years ago and really felt I had a naturally strong body, so I loved it but the gym closed and I never picked it up again. Based on this tiny bit of info. Would you say STS is a good fit for someone like me? Or should I begin with something else? I'm thinking of asking my Hubby to get it for my 40th birthday, Sept. 19th (yippee it's on sale!)

Thank you in advance!!
Tina

Get it Tina! Hands down ...Based on what you wrote you are half committed and looking for the push to get fully committed and I am giving it to you.

STS is structured, keeps you accountable and motivates you to keep going. Don't even worry about the 1 rep max right now. Just find a weight that challenges you for each exercise and keep the pace with us as best as you can. Also, when you get to Meso 3, use the plyo legs workout instead of the Squat Rack leg workout at this point in time.

Meso One is fast paced and focuses on endurance. Your reaction while doing this might be "holy moly, this pace is crazy, I can't even do half those pushups at half that pace"...or.... "What on earth? I am still getting off the floor and she is already onto the next exercise!"

These reactions are completely normal and each day you will get more accustomed to the pace and get better at matching the speed. But even if you don't, pause the player and finish as many reps as you can with us. Do not judge yourself, just keep going and get through the workout as best as you can. Modify anything that is undoable for you at this time. IE: 30 push ups on your toes might turn out to be 12 push ups at a slightly slower pace on your knees. No worries, its all good, just do something and do it with passion. Keep the water coming in as you will be doing a lot of panting. Especially on the leg day!

Meso Two slows down dramatically. You will have a new format, new exercises, a bit heavier weight and longer breaks.

Meso 3 slows down even more (except for Plyo Legs) and you will go even heavier with your weights as a result. By this point you are well into STS and feeling pretty tough and ready to flaunt your strength.

This will definitely jump start you Tina. If you're like many, you may want to repeat the program after going through it once, which is perfectly fine. If that's the case, the second time around do the one rep max test first. This will guarantee you the best results possible.

Good Luck!

Hi, Cathe,

I have been all over the web lately reading about your STS weight lifting program and I really like what I see. The problem is that I am currently a miserable 230 lbs (5'7") and am not sure if this is a good place for me to start. You should know that I have been running (aka fast jiggling) off and on for about 6 years and just finished my second half marathon in July of this year. I also bought your MMA boxing DVD and LOVE IT! I also did a little lifting many years ago and really felt I had a naturally strong body, so I loved it but the gym closed and I never picked it up again. Based on this tiny bit of info. Would you say STS is a good fit for someone like me? Or should I begin with something else? I'm thinking of asking my Hubby to get it for my 40th birthday, Sept. 19th (yippee it's on sale!)

Thank you in advance!!
Tina

Many, many thanks!

Sweet Cathe!

Thank you so much for your encouragement and advice! I've always imagined the only people who can do your workouts are personal trainers and hard core athletes. Still, I was drawn to your classy, mature style. Not to mention your rockin' arms!!

I'm very excited to begin this journey. I've already lost a few lbs after controlling my calories the last couple weeks and can't wait to begin STS!!

I also loved reading about your Mesocycle, DVD1 experience. It made me smile to read about you talking to your "DVD" self while struggling through the workout. It helps to know that it was even hard for you at one point. It'll make the inevitable "What the...?!" experience my first time out seem ok.:D.

Thanks for making my 40s something to look forward to!

Your new fan!
Tina

I know what you mean Tina I can't even do 2 push ups! Ia have not made it thru the complete DVD, shall I keep doing it till the end or rotate them? I don't imagine getting better stronger it feels like I'm just moving fast forward?

Hi "newbies",

It's nice to meet you and wonderful to have you here! :D I've been "killin' it with Cathe" for years now and you have made the right choice! STS is an amazing program! Every disc is a challenge and while pushing through you will, in the least, gain a new confidence, a new sense of fitness commitment and a new found respect for how strong your body really is.

Maria M- those pushups in MESO 1 are tough even for those of us who do pushups every day! Keep at it! If you can only do 2 today then shoot for 3 tomorrow and 4 the day after that. Never let yourself be discouraged! YOU CAN DO IT!

Tina- welcome to the journey... we are always here for you! Hit us up- anytime! :D

I feel so loved!

Thanks for posting Jen!

It's nice to know there's a veteren out there I can count on. I'll let you know when I've tried out the first DVD! Wish me luck!

-Tina

Jen,

As a veteran, I was wondering if when you did STS for the first time you were sore after every workout. I surprisingly have not. I have been a little sore here and there, but not near what I thought I would. This is the first time doing STS and I did do the 1 red max test, so technically I should be at a challenging weight. What is your take on this? Before starting STS I was already training with Cathe's other dvds and doing various workouts out of Oxygen magazine. i am expecting to be much more sore during the meso 2 and 3.

Tracy

Jen,

As a veteran, I was wondering if when you did STS for the first time you were sore after every workout. I surprisingly have not. I have been a little sore here and there, but not near what I thought I would. This is the first time doing STS and I did do the 1 red max test, so technically I should be at a challenging weight. What is your take on this? Before starting STS I was already training with Cathe's other dvds and doing various workouts out of Oxygen magazine. i am expecting to be much more sore during the meso 2 and 3.

Tracy

Hi Tracy,
I wasn't sore necessarily after every workout. I know that During MESO 2 and 3 the DOMS were much heavier (especially after MESO 3 plyo legs! ouch!!) I generally try to focus on how hard i'm pushing myself rather than on the aches. Are you actually feeling like your muscles are getting fatigued? If you're following your one rep max #'s and at the end of a set you feel like you could keep on going then you should probably try increasing the weight a bit. The DOMS are just an added bonus after all the hard work :) Just don't cheat yourself... let your body (and mind) work hard for you! ;)

Thanks Jen,

Yes, on most exercises I am to a point by the end that I can barely lift the last rep. On the ones that felt easy, I made notes and made adjustments. Ok....this is good to hear, I was afraid that I went through 4 weeks for nothing. ;) I am looking forward to the next sections! BTW, have you ever done the 6.5 month rotation of sts? Is it just a matter of repeating the program after th efirst 3.5 month rotation, or does the workout calendar automatically switch p the routines?

Tracy

Thanks Jen,

Yes, on most exercises I am to a point by the end that I can barely lift the last rep. On the ones that felt easy, I made notes and made adjustments. Ok....this is good to hear, I was afraid that I went through 4 weeks for nothing. ;) I am looking forward to the next sections! BTW, have you ever done the 6.5 month rotation of sts? Is it just a matter of repeating the program after th efirst 3.5 month rotation, or does the workout calendar automatically switch p the routines?

Tracy

No, i've never done the 6.5 month rotation... I believe that with that rotation each week gets repeated twice. So you would do discs 1,2,3 and then 1,2,3 again the next week before moving on to 4,5,6. You know what, maybe i'll give it a try! I was thinking about starting STS again this winter so maybe i'll switch it up and try this :)

Hi Tina! First off, Welcome to the Cathe forums! It's nice to see you here! Keep at it...it will be worth the hard work! BTW:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TODAY!!!!!!!

Looking forward to getting to know you!

xena03: the thing I love about STS is that it is a great program that can be tailored to you and then work up from there. I bet you will love it as you start out with the weight levels that are best for you. Welcome!

I look forward to starting STS AGAIN next year after I have recovered from injury.
blessings!! be sure to check in and let us know how you are doing...oh and BTW there is a great group of STS-ers over at check-ins and challenges that would love to have you in their group!

Sweet Cathe!

Thank you so much for your encouragement and advice! I've always imagined the only people who can do your workouts are personal trainers and hard core athletes. Still, I was drawn to your classy, mature style. Not to mention your rockin' arms!!

I'm very excited to begin this journey. I've already lost a few lbs after controlling my calories the last couple weeks and can't wait to begin STS!!

I also loved reading about your Mesocycle, DVD1 experience. It made me smile to read about you talking to your "DVD" self while struggling through the workout. It helps to know that it was even hard for you at one point. It'll make the inevitable "What the...?!" experience my first time out seem ok.:D.

Thanks for making my 40s something to look forward to!

Your new fan!
Tina

I'm currently in week 3 of Meso 1 (have had STS since pre-sale ;)) and just wanted to share - I'm getting the pump back in my arms! Meso 1 always does that with ALL those pushups! Cathe mentioned in one of her dvds..."If you want good arms, you haveto do pushups!) I hate 'em but if you keep up with them, they are well worth it! Good luck Tina! You will love all of Cathe's dvds and you will become addicted like the rest of us!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.