Negative comments I've heard about Cathe workouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't pay too much attention to the negative comments on a particular website b/c it's obvious that these people are bitter b/c they feel they've been burned by Cathe or SNM. It's amazing to see (two posters in particular) who comes out of the woodwork to hijack a Cathe thread on this particular website when they hardly post anymore. Everyone's entitled to their opinions but you really have to consider the source before you take it seriously, which I think Cathe does.
Angela:7
P.S. I'm not talking about people who have suggestions and not everyone HAS to enjoy Cathe workouts....tee hee.

I’m really scratching my head over the original posters intention. She posted a thread over at the other site looking for ammunition to bring over here to stir the pot. Why?

I enjoy several fitness forums very much and respect a lot of the opinions presented. People have different tastes and what one person enjoys may not be another’s cup of tea.

You have to form YOUR own opinion of a workout and not rely on what other people think. I’ve tried just about every instructor out there (and have the DVDs to prove it, lol). I’ve found that I gravitate to more intensity and Cathe most certainly delivers. I also enjoy P90X and a few others and keep an open mind to new instructors or new ways of delivery (I’m hooked on MP3 workouts, too).

So my question is this….it’s apparent she’s formed her own opinion already so why is she looking to other people to non-validate it???

Kathy G

Link to her original post asking for criticism:

http://p199.ezboard.com/ffirmbeliversfrm22.showMessage?topicID=31947.topic

If it wasn't for Cathe and Tony Horton (P90X) I would still be in the gym everyday, something I was growing very tired of doing. Thanks to both of these brilliant instructors, I have stayed in terrific shape, had fun and no love working out at home! Boring? What, are you kidding me? :)

This post cracks me up... OF COURSE Cathe's workouts are too hard for some people. That would be why they are ADVANCED. None of the other workouts listed by the OP are considered advanced. They are something to work up to - if you are so inclined.

And the reality is, not all workouts are for everyone. If someone doesn't like an instructor, they don't have to do the videos from that instructor. It's that simple. I don't understand why people bash videos or really care what other people say, except to get an idea of whether a video will work for them.

I know that I complained on one of the other boards a couple of years ago because of issues with one of the series and a virus issue. But Cathe in my opinion is the premiere video fitness trainer, period. Truly, after doing her dvd's, it's hard to go to a different trainer. I preordered this set and will probably order the new heavy series when she does that.

violette

>The OP started a topic at another forum asking for honest
>"criticism" of Cathe, then comes here to complain about
>bashing at other forums. Scratching my head over this
>one....

I'm right with you there.
What happens on other forums should stay there.
Anyone who does have criticisms of Cathe's workouts certainly isn't going to post them here, where they will be immediately flamed.
And I think that some people are quick to label any negative comments as 'bashing.'

>The OP started a topic at another forum asking for honest
>"criticism" of Cathe, then comes here to complain about
>bashing at other forums. Scratching my head over this
>one....

I'm right with you there.
What happens on other forums should stay there.
Anyone who does have criticisms of Cathe's workouts certainly isn't going to post them here, where they will be immediately flamed.
And I think that some people are quick to label any negative comments as 'flames.' I think of flaming as personal attacks or unjustified criticism.

>Everyone has a right to their own opinnion but "bashing" is
>uneccesary and childish. The folks who talk that way about
>Cathe or any other instructor are not even worth your trouble.
>IGNORE IGNORE INGORE!
>
>
>The OP asked for honest opinions at a different message board.
>No one presented it in a bashing way, just some observations.
>Also, I don't consider saying Cathe is more difficult than
>many other vids "bashing", or saying high impact is not what
>that particular exercisers wants "bashing". Anyway she ASKED,
>got answers, then brought her rebuttal here.

Okay so Cathe wasn't being bashed. That's great then! To me it kinda sounded like the OP thought Cathe was being bashed so I guess I misunderstood her post. No biggie.

I think the "too hard" comment is hilarious. It reminds me of the women who say they won't lift heavy b/c they don't want to "bulk up." OK so if her workouts are too hard for you, just don't do them!

I'm totally w/tneah on this one--when I got out of college & started working full time, first commuting 2 hours a day & then working an extra 15-20 hours a week, there was no possible way I could've stayed in shape without Cathe.

She's the perfect home video instructor. Her workouts are challenging and creative (FAR from boring--her versatility & creativity never ceases to amaze me). I've taken lots & lots of classes at different health clubs but none of them come close to Cathe in either the intensity or fun factors.

But it's also b/c of her personality. About 50% of my routine is done at home & most of it's with Cathe (i.e. Sat is my circuit/core day, so I'll do Drill Max & Core Max, & I feel like I'm spending the morning w/a good friend!). She's quirky & fun. I'm flabbergasted anyone would call her boring, that's maybe the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard/read about her.

*scratches head*

I really haven't the foggiest what answer this post is looking for.

*firewalks out of thread*

Debbie

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept.
-Calvin & Hobbes

There is a current post on Cathe's DVDs on www.oxygenmag.net which is very positive. Lots of people posted positive comments there. Obviously Cathe cannot please everyone - she has appeal for a certain market.

Monica

meganmm:
"The OP started a topic at another forum asking for honest "criticism" of Cathe, then comes here to complain about bashing at other forums. Scratching my head over this one...."

You might want to go back and re-read my contributions to the discussion on this board. Then perhaps you will notice that we are engaging in a productive and informative conversation about our fitness levels, our preferences, and our thoughts about the "business" of home-fitness programs. You are more than welcome to participate in this discussion.

Maybe it would be good to go post all those things said in the OP on the Firm Believers board, since they're the ones who made all those comments.

I doubt that any of the posters here need convincing that Cathe is the best

Kathy G:
"I’m really scratching my head over the original posters intention. She posted a thread over at the other site looking for ammunition to bring over here to stir the pot. Why?….it’s apparent she’s formed her own opinion already so why is she looking to other people to non-validate it???"

Sorry to disappoint any perception of drama or mal-intention, but I inquired about Cathe criticism on a different site because I wished to remain respectful and courteous to Cathe, her site, and her fans by not asking if anyone had any honest criticism of Cathe on her very own site. And the criticisms I read on various sites got me thinking about my own level of fitness, as well as the business of the home-fitness industry...so I opened a respectful and meaningful discussion about those topics on this site, as I have noticed in just a few short weeks that so many folks on this site are incredibly fit and knowledgeable about fitness....so I value the thoughts and knowledge of people on this site. While I do have my own positive opinion on Cathe, I am thrilled that I came across, as well as sought out opinions to the contrary, as they further put my own fitness journey into sharper focus and give deeper meaning to the opinions I already had. Seeking information contrary to what is already known and beleived is actually quite a common philosphical exercise....for "In the absence of that which is not, that which is, is not."

Anyway, what it is about for me is my fitness. No games, no drama, just fitness. So on that note, now that I have taken a brief time-out to respond to people's interesting interpetations, I'm now returning to discussing fitness. And since it seems there are those who do not utilize these sites to that end, as another poster wisely put it, when it comes to such conduct "ignore ignore ignore."

In terms of the "hardness," I have started out Cathe with no more than 5 lb weights in each hand. I know it sounds low, but when I first started the Firm, I went gung ho because I had been working out in a gym for a year....and I got injured after workout #2 and was out of commission for a month! So I really am easing into Cathe this time! Anyway, I did muscle Max with no more than 5 lbs in each hand on any exercise, and today I am SORE! I can honestly say that I NEVER got DOMS with the Firm, and I was up to 10-15 lbs on some exercises. So, if Cathe can give me DOMS with only 5 lbs, then I feel that too hard translates as effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.