Negative comments I've heard about Cathe workouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitgoddess

Cathlete
I hope this post does not come off as disrespectful to Cathe...if anything, I am seeking to give an opportunity to stand up for Cathe, so I was just curious to know what ya'lls opinions are about this:

I've seen negative comments about Cathe's workouts scattered here and there across other websites/forums. Most of them seem to be that the workouts are boring, monotonous, too hard, and too high impact.

I am new to Cathe, but so far, I have this to say in response:

1. too hard= I see lots of ways to modify down to your level (a lot of the comments about being too hard were that Cathe does not offer modification...but I find it pretty easy to figure out a modification on my own (i.e., if I can't figure out how to do an around-the-world-mambo, I just do a plain 6-step-mambo....simple enough to figure out, no?) And am happy to do the mods on my own, because when I work my way up to the full move, I will be glad that I don't have to listen to "beginner talk." Also, I do the amount of reps I can, use the weights I can, and look forward to progressing over time. And when I do progress, I will be glad that the challenge is already there for me, and I don't have to look for my own ways to make things more challenging.

2. too high impact= same thoughts as the choreography being too hard...I feel it is simple enough to take a high-impact move and make it low impact move. A simple formula is "just don't let your feet leave the ground!" Simple, no?

3. boring and monotonous= Again, I am new, but I have noticed the variety across workout DVDs (like Kickboxing, bootcamp, interval, circuit, step, etc.) and the new ones coming out seem to offer a lot of variety. I currently own Muslce Max, Core Max, and Low Max ... and while it is true that there are no Hip-hop-ab, turbo-jam, yoga-booty, transfirmer gimicks to make things "more exciting," isn't the plain fact that what Cathe is doing WORKS like none other? Not to be rude, but I have seen DOZENS of pics of TOTALLY buff women on this site in just a couple of weeks....and in the couple of years I was on the Firm site, I saw lots of pics of women who had lost weight, but rarely any who were in prime leaness. While things like the Firm keeps you going with all the bells and whistles, the fact was that I don't think I was ever going to see buff results. So some say boring and monotonous, but I say that if "boring and monotonous" means the results you are looking for, then that's good enough for me. Also, I think there can be a lot of joy and excitement found just in the fact that you are completing a challenge and REALLY feeling your muscles WORK (again, doing Muscle Max for the very first time, I noticed a HUGE difference in how my muscles felt while I was doing the workout ... my muscles never felt that way when firming. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not looking to be entertained...I'm looking to get buff....and I feel that the entertaining DVDs are not going to get me there. Also, aren't these bells & whistles workouts designed to get people off the couch who have been there for years? So I can see why you would put on a dog and pony show to lure people over to the world of exercise. But once you reach the point where you get it, and you are sold on exercise, you don't need the glitz and the glamor anymore....you are sold, and don't need to be enticed anymore, and now you just want what works. And what works best is not glitz and glam, but just getting down and doing it in the most effective way, even is that way is "boring"?

Again, not meaning to spark any debate ... just wanted to clear the air and see if the rest of you who seem to know so much more than I do about fitness, and are currently in much better shape than I am right now, feel the same way I do about those who give negative comments about Cathe. Are we just in a different boat than those who prefer the bells & whistles workouts that are simple, easy to master, hold your hand the entire time, and not encourage you to strike out on yoru own and take some more ownership over your fitness ... and feel that, with time, you can conquer what you don't yet know how to do?

hey fitgoddess,

You just can't compare Cathe workouts to hip-hop-anything, shake your tushy, or zumba this or zumba that...well, you know what I mean. They are marketed to different segments of the population and server different purposes....as you surmised! "advanced" exercises, or thos who want to be "advanced" or serious, don't need gimmicks to keep the interested. Too hard? Yes, Cathe will be too hard for these folks; her workouts are on a fitness level they don't aspire to (but we on this site do!). So is it a negative thing that say Cathe is too hard? Taken in the context of what market segment they are in...I don't think so. Is it a negative thing that they say Cathe is boring? Oh, my, they don't begin to have the same defintion of boring as I do. I don't think I could go more than 45 seconds of yoga-booty or whatever it is. :) But IMAX 2 makes me laugh out loud and say "that's soooo fun!". IT almost feels illegal to have that much fun working out!!!!!

>hey fitgoddess,
>
>You just can't compare Cathe workouts to hip-hop-anything,
>shake your tushy, or zumba this or zumba that...well, you know
>what I mean. They are marketed to different segments of the
>population and server different purposes....as you surmised!
>"advanced" exercises, or thos who want to be "advanced" or
>serious, don't need gimmicks to keep the interested. Too hard?
>Yes, Cathe will be too hard for these folks; her workouts are
>on a fitness level they don't aspire to (but we on this site
>do!). So is it a negative thing that say Cathe is too hard?
>Taken in the context of what market segment they are in...I
>don't think so. Is it a negative thing that they say Cathe is
>boring? Oh, my, they don't begin to have the same defintion of
>boring as I do. I don't think I could go more than 45 seconds
>of yoga-booty or whatever it is. :) But IMAX 2 makes me laugh
>out loud and say "that's soooo fun!". IT almost feels illegal
>to have that much fun working out!!!!!

Your whole post is very right on!!! Very well said.

Cathe does so many videos with so many unique styles that I don't think any of the above universally apply.

You can get the high impact of IMAX 3 or go to Low Max for less impact.

With Cathe's workouts, the possibilites are endless.

Working Out- Too Hard- Boring- Too High Impact... Its all subjective. Theres room for ALL styles and all personalities in the fitness world.
Personally- I am one who can find very little to say negative about Cathe or ANY instructor for that matter. Its all a matter of personal taste and opinions.
As for trash posts here or anywhere else.... Not my cup of tea. Just don't buy from an instructor you dont care for or who doesnt fit your needs. Free country.... I find bashing in all forms quite unnecessary- A review of a workout is one thing but bashing for entertainment purposes is just a negative person spreading venom and I dont read those posts.
Just my thoughts:7

"they don't begin to have the same defintion of boring as I do"

I know...when I first previewed Low Max, I THOUGHT the blasts LOOKED monotonous....and then when I actually DID them, I was so surprised at how much I liked them .... not because they were glamorous, turbo-hop-jam-booty-bean-pink weights, but because I felt in this serious fitness zone where I was doing wonderful things for my body and my muscles, and my endurance, and stamina, and agility, and speed, and strength. And I loved them because I felt challenged. And I loved them because I was excited about all the gains ahead of me for these moves. And I loved them because, unlike the glamour moves that helped me lose 10 lbs, and got me hooked on exercise (which of course I am forever grateful for) I loved the blasts because I felt in my body that they were taking me to the next level of fitness that I never dreamed I would attempt to attain! And I loved them because, at age 35, when I think most women start to go downhill, I am going uphill, way uphill and rather than making this the time in my life when I settle down for medicore and ho-hum, I am going for the blitz!

I find Cathe's workout challenging. How could that be boring? It takes real concentration for me to finish all the sets and my muscles really burn. I am quite new to Cathe (bought her last series) and have put my order in for the pre-sale but I am enjoying the dvds that I do have.

Now if I was doing one of those workouts that I could do with my eyes closed and/or half asleep - that would be boring.

I agree there are plenty of styles of instructors/workouts and not everyone will like the same. It is important to find something that works for you and stick with it.

IMO, after working out with other instructors since I started roughly 20 years ago, I found Cathe to be the most challenging and fun instructor. For the past years, I've had Keli Roberts, Gin Miller, The Jane Fonda crew, Charlene Prickett, The Firm Crosstrainer, Tamilee Webb, Petra Kolber, Reebok, etc...
Her warmups have more get up and go than Gin Miller. The workouts themselves are more challenging, the chorography more complex but flows better than others (problem with a Petra Kolber workout).
With Cathe, I only planned on a few DVDs to get to know her better, well, 20 some videos later, I believe she is the best.

Well, I certainly don't think there is anything monotonous or boring about Drill Max! :) And I agree, IMAX 2 is ... well, off-the-charts in the fun category.

It probably just boils down to personal preference. Cathe creates videos for something of a niche market... she targets women who crave, and are able to complete, an intense fitness challenge, people who want the simplicity of a home workout, and yet are willing and able to devote time, money and space to fitness purchases. I believe this focus is why she is really the best at what she does, but it also means that other home exercisers who fall outside her targeted niche will find her... too hard, too high-impact, too much equipment, too much space, too much time, etc.

Lucky for them, there are LOTS of other very good videos out there to meet their needs.

Lucky for us, there is Cathe.

:7

If I can do Cathe workouts anyone can. My family is constantly teasing me about my ability to trip, spill, or perform some uncoordinated action. Cathe has been the only person to keep my interest. I love her cueing because she is consistant from one video to the next. You can always translate something you learned from a previous video to help you learn something in a new one. I've been doing Cathe workouts for 7 years now. I'm not bored. I've tried lots of others, but I've never ordered a Cathe workout and had it just sit on the shelf. Not so for many others. I even do PowerMax here and there.

I am a former Firmie and Cathe scared me to death. Plus I have two left feet so I'm not very coordinated but I gave her a chance and found out I could do her step routines if I worked at it. Now things that were once very confusing and hard are easy because I didn't give up. I still can't get thru some of her workouts but that's ok because I know someday I will and I will truly have something to be proud of. One of the reasons I work out is because I love a challenge and Cathe will give you that. Everyone knows her workouts are hard so if you aren't into that, look elsewhere.

Cathe knows how to get the results you want, and she has the ability to encourage you along the way. Challenge + Encouragement = Results

:) Sandra

I say if you like the workouts, who cares what people think? There's no need to defend your choices or preferences. To each her own...

~Cathy :)

I've done videos for 12 years, Cathe for 10 years, have most of her work-outs. I have been reading video forums for 12 years, and for some reason Cathe evokes the most passion, both positive and negative. Guess she is doing something right because she gets noticed!:7

different strokes for different folks. there never really one workout that EVERYBODY is 100% on. and there are some methods ppl don't prefer. for example. there was a dicussion invovling cathe's pyramids series to other workouts. some just didn't care for the series b/c lack of rest between sets and felt they couldn't go heavy but they find that slow and heavy and gym styles work better for them. it was nothing against cathe it was just how they like to workout and its their opinion. as somebody said you don't have to defend your choice, and it may not be anything about cathe overall-just how one particular workout is. everybody has different perceptions,i too sometimes roll my eyes at some negative reviews about videos i love but i am not in that persons' shoes to understand how they felt while doing the workout

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

http://images.meez.com/user03/06/01/04/060104_10010099873.gif

Everyone has a right to their own opinnion but "bashing" is uneccesary and childish. The folks who talk that way about Cathe or any other instructor are not even worth your trouble. IGNORE IGNORE INGORE!

Everyone has a right to their own opinnion but "bashing" is uneccesary and childish. The folks who talk that way about Cathe or any other instructor are not even worth your trouble. IGNORE IGNORE INGORE!

The OP asked for honest opinions at a different message board. No one presented it in a bashing way, just some observations. Also, I don't consider saying Cathe is more difficult than many other vids "bashing", or saying high impact is not what that particular exercisers wants "bashing". Anyway she ASKED, got answers, then brought her rebuttal here.

I do a mixture of Cathe and others because I am not up to doing Cathe everyday. Is that bashing? or just an observation of my fitness level.

The OP started a topic at another forum asking for honest "criticism" of Cathe, then comes here to complain about bashing at other forums. Scratching my head over this one....

I have done pure Cathe rotations and I find that my body gets used to workouts too quickly and I need to constantly change. Therefore, I utilize various instructors. I don't have a problem modifying up when I do not Cathe workouts, so I enjoy the wide variety I accumulate and it's nice to have some "feel good" workouts to do also. While I love Cathe and have tremendous respect for her and this Forum, I do feel there are other good instructors out there putting out advanced workouts and I need those in my routine too (for instance Amy Bento). I also like to fit functional fitness into my routine (like the workouts Tracey Staehle provides).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.