My Visit With the Nutrition Consultant

McCann's steel cut oatmeal normally takes a long time to cook but someone told me a great hint so that it can be cooked in the microwave---soak it overnight in water, and it will soften enough to be cooked in the microwave like Quaker's old fashioned oatmeal--which I usually cook for 2.5 min with fruit, cinnamon and nutmeg. Each microwave is different, however. Also, you also should make sure you use a deep bowl or one with steep sides because the oatmeals tend to bubble up over the side otherwise.

If I remember correctly, Ezekial bread is also baked differently than regular breads, but I can't remember what the difference is--my friend (a nutritionist) said it is the best bread for you to eat, partly because of how it is made and because of its density.

Thanks for all the good information everyone. I have been enjoying the thread.

Susan

>McCann's steel cut oatmeal normally takes a long time to cook
>but someone told me a great hint so that it can be cooked in
>the microwave---soak it overnight in water, and it will soften
>enough to be cooked in the microwave like Quaker's old
>fashioned oatmeal--which I usually cook for 2.5 min with
>fruit, cinnamon and nutmeg. >
>

I love this oatmeal! My trick to speeding up the process, at least for some of the days, is to make a triple batch one day when I have time, eat 1/3 of it fresh (though I usually make a batch that is supposed to be for 4 servings and divide that into 3), then save the other two servings each in their own microwavable bowl. The next two days, when you are ready for your oatmeal, it will be kind of a solid mass of oatmeal. I just break it up a bit with a spoon, pour on some soy milk, and zap it in the micro, which both heats it and softens it up.

I usually have mine with a Tablespoon of ground flax on and soy milk, maple syrup and sometimes raisins.

>Some nutritionists are emphasizing glycemic load instead of
>the glycemic index because it reflects portion size. While a
>carrot may have a high index number, a single carrot isn't
>going to send blood sugar levels very high. Debra

Good point. Instead of classifying a food as "always bad" because it may be higher on the glycemic index, one also has to look at it in the context of an entire meal. If you combine a higher glycemic food with one that is low on the glycemic index, it's effect on insulin will be changed.

Danielle,

There's no aspartame in Splenda. Splenda is sucralose, which is made from sugar but has no calories or carbs.

Sue

>I was just wondering if there's any Aspartame in Splenda?
>I've been using that lately in my Post Shredded Wheat Cereal.
>I use it in cofee too.
>
>Does anyone know anything about Splenda?
>
>Danielle
>
>:D

SueNJ,

Thanks so much for answering my question about Splenda. This makes me feel better about using it!

Danielle :7

This is one of the big questions on my question list. I'm formulating all my questions and making another appointment to get them all answered. The nutrionist told me that ice cream has a low GI because it has so much protein. But we know ice cream is full of sugar. So, doesn't it follow that if you eat, say, a turkey sandwich that the bread could be balanced by the protein in the turkey? I just can't understand why she didn't mention combining foods to bring down the GI of an entire meal instead of just looking at the individual foods. This is highly illogical to me and I am perplexed. I'm going to have to make another appointment to figure this out. :-(

Hi Nancy,

I tried to read through all these posts to get this answer, but I didn't see it. What did she say about fats, healthy fats such as peanut butter, olive oil on veggies, chicken, fish?

I think this is great that you're sharing all this info with us. Do you know that at work my desk is right next to a water cooler, I run the water cooler club and I drink less than the other 30 people in the club :( I tried to cut out diet soda and I was good for a few weeks, then right back to it because of a craving. I'll have to try again.

Thanks,
Donna M

HI Donna!

As part of my meal plan I am required to eat 1-3 tsps. of olive oil with both lunch and dinner. Whether it comes in the form of salad dressing or cooking oil doesn't matter, but I MUST have it. I overheard her recommending peanut butter to another client while I was waiting, but she didn't mention it to me. All of my proteins are low-fat. Maybe he was thinner than me. <shrug> I guess it depends upon what you're there for?
Or maybe it's because she knows how much I love salads.

Also, I came to see her specifically about low energy and PMS, so bread is verboten to me, and PB is a natural with bread. When my husband goes, she'll probably have a whole different eating plan for him. He doesn't have any problems with his energy levels, but is overweight and has somewhat high blood pressure.

I'm 3 days without diet coke and counting! Good luck with that.

-Nancy

Mikie-
My instructions are to eat one serving of oatmeal as described on the box, and that is (exactly) what I do.

Hope this helps.

Finally, Saturday! So much to do. During the week, I already got lots of skim milk and oatmeal. I got the Beano and the flavored seltzer.

Someone gave me a tip that sounds good: Buy skinnless chicken breasts and cut them into cubes and freeze them in 3 oz. portions by wrapping them first in wax paper and then in aluminum foil. She said to do it in large quantities because it lasts a long time, so I'll only have to do it once every few months.

The purpose of the inner wrap, aside from avoiding freezer burn, is so the pieces can go straight into the microwave for cooking, since the foil can't go in. She said I can do the same with fish, although I guess it depends which kind of fish. I'm planning to make mostly stir frys and salads for dinner, although I can do larger pieces for other dishes as well in this same way.

As long as I'm cooking, I'm sure I'll throw in enough for my husband to have dinner too. It's going to be hard to tell how much of the chicken is the 3 oz. portion, when I'll probably be throwing in 4-6 ozs for him. I'll just have to learn how to eyeball it. This man is going to be in heaven when he sees me in the kitchen actually cooking something!! Maybe we can take turns and both get healthy together?!?! I can't imagine washing and chopping veggies every night. I better get him involved from the get go. I think he'll enjoy it too.

Okay, here I go, off to buy my chicken breasts! You know, this is really kind of fun!

-Nancy

I read that some doctors advise their diabetic patients not to use aspartame. In any event, it does not raise blood sugar, it raises insulin, if you believe the article my nutritionist gave me. I'm not really sure about all that, but as someone who is now eating clean, aspartame is definitely out.

I'm still drinking my black coffee though. I believe my bean coffee is quite "clean". As my signature below indicates, I am a diehard black coffee drinker. :)

I've read this thread with quite abit of interest. I definitly need to clean up my eating (as I sit here drinking a Diet Canada Dry Ginger Ale :D
Did the nutritionist say how much coffee was acceptable? I love coffee and I think I would have a hard time giving it up. I also love it black, no sugar and fairly strong. Did she say anything about Green Tea?
I'm going to start tracking my food with a journal. I need to do something to make myself accountable.
Thanks for all the great info.
Michele

Michele-
I went to see the nutritonist about being tired, low energy and PMS. So, for me giving up caffeine is a good idea. However, she told me that I should cut back slowly and that I will give it up naturally because I won't want it anymore once I've been following my new meal plan for a while.

The food I'm eating is really delicious! Hard to believe that all this great food can make me feel better! Although, after spending my Saturday evening cutting chicken into cubes and washing pots, I can see it will be a lot of work, at least at the beginning. <sigh>.

I believe green tea fits into the coffee category because of the caffeine, but I haven't actually asked that question yet.

I know you can get decaffinated green tea in a regular grocery store with a cheapie brand name like Lipton or one of those.

I'm going to dump out my Equal and get Splenda on my next trip to the store.

Gosh, we learn so much on these forums!!!!!

RE: Cooking oatmeal in milk

I eat slow-cook oatmeal, too, cooked 2 min. in the microwave. Why so much longer? Maybe because I don't cook mine in water, but skim milk. If you're adding the cottage cheese for calcium, maybe milk would give you more. Just an idea. (When I started looking at labels, I remember being surprise at how little calcium some dairy things had--I don't remember whether it was cottage cheese or yogurt.)

I have some cottage cheese in my refrigerator, so I'll have to put some in my oatmeal this morning--I'm curious! I had never thought of cottage cheese for breakfast until I ate at a local diner with a friend who ordered omelettes with cottage cheese and green peppers. Tasty!

juliee

RE: Finding nutritionist

I bet the American Dietetic Association has a list (where you put in your location to get a referral) on its website. Did you try there?
juliee

RE: Another reason to give up soda/pop & coffee

I just went to the dentist and was told I'm a dental hygenist's dream. I was shocked, because I hadn't been to the dentist for 1.5 years and hadn't physically been able to take care of my teeth after my accident. The hygenist said I had less plaque than many people who ARE able to brush & floss. I decided that it must be because I almost never drink soda. (No sugary goop on my teeth to attract more food particles.) I think flossing after the last food of the day is also key.

I love coffee, too. Another dentist had told me about the staining effect coffee & tea have on teeth, and that was enough motivation for me to give it up. I do drink non-black tea (i.e. decaf herbal & green teas). You might also try yerba mate. It's popular in Argentina & Brazil, and I notice it's starting to pop up in stores around here. It's not from a tea plant, but the drink is a similar idea. They've found nutritional benefits, but I don't remember what they are. A Google search would probably tell you, if you're curious.

Worrying about dental health is more than vanity; it may be as important to health as clean eating. I've read how clean gums contribute to overall health & decrease sickness (maybe worth another Google search). My great aunt in her 90s was proud that she had her own teeth, and now I see my mom having trouble/pain with her dental bridges--I want to hang onto my own teeth!

Happy birthday, Nancy! Your birthday gift to yourself has a ripple effect: Look at all the lively discussion your message inspired & all the people you've motivated to action. You're an inspiration!

juliee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.