My Visit With the Nutrition Consultant

Mikie-

I was told by the nutritionist to eat either:

Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal
McCanns Irish Oatmeal
Kashi Go Lean (not puffed or honey or crunch)
Kashi Good Friends (not puffed or honey or crunch)
Kashi that requires cooking
Kellogs All Bran
General Mills Fiber One

So there's your answer!! Kashi Go Lean - yes. Go Lean Crunch - No.

-Dr. Nancy

Lynda-

My nutritionist recommends Beano for me with lunch and dinner because of all the vegetables and fruits cause me gas distress. See? Gotcha covered. :)

RE: I eat oatmeal every day

Penney-
Actually my whole breakfast consists of a whole grain cereal, 8 oz. of skim milk AND 1 oz of a lean protein such as: 1 egg, 2 egg whites, 1/2 cup cottage cheese or 1 oz. lowfat cheese. She suggested Polly O lowfat string cheese to me.

Try it. You'll see!!

I have heard the same about the diet soda and it triggering your insulin. Richard Simmons once said that he dropped 15# just from cutting out diet Coke.

Kim

Hey, congrats on all of the new info! I would love to meet with a nutritionist. I have to say, I am very shocked about the comment on whole wheat bread. I do know that whole wheat is very good for you. I buy a bread at my health food store called Eziekial bread. It is supposed to be really healthy. I thought that whole wheat bread high in fiber is what we were supposed to eat. Do you have anymore info on that?? Plus, I also thought that pasta was not good. Sooooo confusing!!! I do agree with the diet soda. I am down to one a day, and pushing for zero a day!!! Your info has been very helpful. Please fill us in on anything else you come up with. Thanks so much, Aimee

Oatmeal is great - and I DO use the Old Fashioned kind. I can go up to 4 hours fueled up with oatmeal and not get hungry.

Of course, whole wheat pancakes do the same thing, but hey, they ARE whole wheat!!

I've gone 2 days so far with no diet pop, and it's going very well. Coffee may be next!

THANKS FOR SHARING THIS INFO WITH US!!!!!! Please keep us posted on your progress, Miz Nancy!

Really?? Thanks for your comment, Kim. I never heard this anywhere before except from this nutritionist, and was wondering if she could be right....Nice to know someone else said it too!
-Nancy

ME TOO HONEYBUNCH!! Two whole days without diet soda. YAY US!!

Someone mentioned flavored seltzer, and I've been having that with my meals. A lot of the fast food stores carry Canada Dry "Lemon Lime Twist" seltzer and I actually like it!! This weekend I will stock my fridge with the big liter bottles of it for drinking at home instead of diet coke.

Aimee-

Let me see if I can clarify a little. I'll quote the article:

"What makes a GI number high or low is how quickly the food breaks down during digestion. The longer your body has to wrestle with the carb to break it down into glucose, the slower the rise in blood glucose and the lower the GI. But it's not always easy to predict a food's GI. Often, fiber-rich foods have lower GIs. Fiber, especially the soluble type in oats and beans, creates a web in the intestines that traps carb paricles. Not surprinsingly, beans have low GI numbers. But when the fiber is ground finely as it often is in whole wheat flour, it doesn't present enough of a digestive challenge to lower the GI of these foods. That explains why whole wheat bread has a GI number nearly identical to white bread. (But whole wheat bread is still a healthier choice than white bread because of its extra fiber and other nutrients)."

So, if Eziekiel (isn't he one of the Zabar brothers?) isn't grinding his whole wheat too finely, you may be okay. Seriously, I would look on the internet and see if anybody is advertising a whole wheat bread that has a lower GI.

-Nancy

We drink a lot of the flavored selzter in my house. The house brands of the various supermarkets are much cheaper, and often they're on sale as well (5 for $2 or something like that). We found that they seem to taste as good as the branded ones, so worth stocking up when they run those specials.

Also, the seltzers have much less sodium than the "club sodas".

~Audrey

Nancy,

Thanks so much for sharing this info with us. That's very interesting what you said about the Aspartame and the Mint Tea. I had no idea that pasta was better than bread, and that wheat bread was just as offensive as white bread. I would think so, accept wheat has more fiber and nutrients? But carb wise, I can see what she's saying.

I definitely could use that mint tea and will be picking some up the next time I'm at the store.

Thanks so much!!

Danielle :7

Hi Aimee! Yes Ezekiel bread is VERY good for you! If you notice when eating it you can see & taste the wheat particles. It isn't finely ground & processed w/white flour like so many of them are. That's why they call it "Lite" wheat bread. Just make sure you DO NOT include HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP in your diet; this really packs on the weight. You get so much fiber also in fruits especially the berries (blue, rasp, black, etc.) so make sure to put these in your oatmeal or anything really; just make sure you eat them everyday. When making salads make sure you put avocado as well as jicama in it. One medium jicama will give you a whopping 10g of fiber! That's a lot. Can't really say about pasta. I've virtually taken this completely out of my diet for quite some time now. (I'm the person that does BodyRX) & have seen very dramatic results & I just love eating this way. There's very little pasta on this program. I personally have tried the wheat, rice & some such pasta from Italy that had very low carbs. All of them YUCK!! Just give me the real thing LOL You can drink a diet soda 1x a day (Diet Hansen) is the best I've seen on the market. Drinking water all day long does get boring after a while. I outa know! Everything that was discussed w/Nancy by her nutritionist is in the BodyRX book. Good luck & happy eating! Kathy;)

I was just wondering if there's any Aspartame in Splenda? I've been using that lately in my Post Shredded Wheat Cereal. I use it in cofee too.

Does anyone know anything about Splenda?

Danielle

:D

Nancy,

Thank you SO much for sharing your experience with us - obviously this is a topic on everyone's mind! Your breakfast you listed earlier sounds so good, my only question being, how much of the whole grain cereal do you eat? Breakfast is my favorite meal and I really treat is as the foundation for my day - I love getting off on the right start!

I also have a question for the Ezekiel fans: I bought it once in an effort to get the healthiest bread option possible (I love bread) and the taste was awful. I know there are different varieties (the package I had was red) and I am wondering if there is a better "flavor" I should try. Do you all like the taste or just prefer it for nutritional aspects? Maybe I had a bad loaf????? It was pretty pungent.

Thanks again, everyone, for sharing such valuable information.

Take care of yourselves,
Mikie

Hey Mikie, I have never tried the red bag. I buy the green bag, and I have really grown to love it. It definitly does not taste like your regular wheat bread, but I add some all natural peanut butter, and a few almonds, and it is a really great snack. I think just the fact that it is good for me helped me adjust to the taste. Try the green bag, I think you will like it. Hope I helped out some!!! And, ladies..keep the questions coming, I have really had alot of my questions answered. This is great!!! Thanks alot, Aimee

I just wanted to thank everybody for thier input on this thread! It has been really interesting and educational to read! :)

Hi Aimee,

I am SO with you on adjusting to the taste of something because it is more healthy. I thought I would never buy natural peanut butter and now I actually prefer it. My new thing is I.M. Healthy Soy Nut Butter. Something about it is SO tasty - even on the first try!

I will try the green bag and thanks for the suggestion - I'll take it!

Mikie

Hi Nancy:

Again, thanks for a very informative post. I was wondering, did your nutritionist say anything about drinking too much water? I've ready in magazines that too much water 'could' be bad for you and that you should drink a lot, but not too much. Actually, that whole sentence didn't really make sense, but I think you know what I mean. :)

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Marcia

Some nutritionists are emphasizing glycemic load instead of the glycemic index because it reflects portion size. While a carrot may have a high index number, a single carrot isn't going to send blood sugar levels very high. Walter Willett (Harvard) discusses this in depth in "Eat, Drink & Be Healthy" if anyone would like to learn more.

I usually have hot cereal for breakfast & it's usually Old Fashioned Quaker Oats. But there are lots of other great whole grain cereals available at health food stores. McCann's steel cut oats are good but you can buy the same product from U.S. brands like Bob's Red Mill for a fraction. One doesn't get the cute can though.

Nancy, thanks for sharing with us. You got an interesting discussion going. It's especially nice to "see" your enthusiasm.

Debra

Nancy,

Great info! I'm fascinated by any sort of nutrition talk. One question for you...what kind of credentials does your nutrition consultant have? I'm very interested in a career change and would love to study nutrition but have found various avenues and am not sure which would be most beneficial. Thanks! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.