My personal debt of gratitude to Cathe

Aquajock

Cathlete
I just got back from my younger brother's wedding (which, just in passing, was a New Orleans work of art in the classic style), and I confronted some very stark reminders about what can happen to the human body when it is allowed to fall into disuse. My father has been overweight most of his later adult life (trunk-area overweight, the worst kind to have), has difficulty walking without his knee brace; his legs muscles are weak, he has Type II diabetes (which almost killed him earlier this year), and all in all struggles simply to contain the damage that the aging process wreaks on the body. And he's one of the healthier ones on my side of the aisle. My mother and older brother, both of whom too have struggled with overweight most of their adult lives, easily weigh in at about 300 lbs each by now, and each of them could not walk more than a few steps without needing to sit down. After two lifetimes of rejecting the need to stay active, the prospects for turning their respective Titanics around and getting fitter and leaner appear dim; in fact, I'm surprised neither of them has had a significant medical episode recently.

That's my gene pool, and I was overfat and sedentary in my younger years (and was never allowed to forget it). The initial steps in my journey towards truly unified fitness I've written about many times before, so I won't address them again here. But I am absolutely convinced that because of Cathe Friedrich, I have managed to avoid my family's destiny and in fact go to the opposite end of that universe.

Cathe's exercise drills are remarkably effective, especially with her emphasis on power performance, plyometrics (which introduced me to my legs after overrelying on aqua training), intensity, impact (not a dirty word in my world), and method(s) of organization. I always know that when I get a new production there will be something, usually somethingS, that will propel me to a greater level of fitness.

Cathe's production values are unparalleled. From the selections of music to the studio aesthetics, from her choice of background performers to her groundbreaking use of DVD technology, from whatever to what-have-you, I have always known a Cathe purchase was an incredible bargain.

Cathe's personal style and on-camera affect, a unique blend of friendliness, maturity and no-excuses challenge, has always been such that I actually look forward to being pummeled by her workouts (and my own distorted mish-moshes of her workouts) even after a long day of work. I could never, ever hang long with a home-ex workout where I simply didn't connect with or care for the instructor's style, and consistency being the alpha and omega of a fitness program's success, that Cathe is a person I want to return to has made all the difference.

Every now and then even I need a smackdown to remind me why I do this. Why do I work so hard in a sit-and-click world? Well . . . I saw the answer this weekend with dear old Mom and Dad and Bro. This is nothing less than survival for me, folks, and all I can say is, "There but for the grace of God and Cathe go I."

Week in, and week out.

Thanks, Cathe, for all that you have done for me. I will never lose my sense of loyalty and gratitude to you.

Annette

Very well-said, Annette. I don't have a story like yours, but I definitely agree that since I found Cathe's workouts, my health and fitness levels have improved beyond what I could have ever imagined.

What an amazingly eloquent post Annette. I can completely relate to your story and your family history. People at work ask me why I'm so hooked on Cathe's workouts...it's just an exercise video right? You just summed up every reason that I love Cathe's workouts. Thank you, Annette, and thank you, Cathe, once again for EVERYTHING that you do.

Annette, very well put. You explained to a tee why I am hooked to Cathe's workouts. I too am trying to avoid my family's health history. I applaud you for getting yourself healthy and avoiding that genetic trap. Keep healthy and as always, a huge THANK YOU to Cathe for sharing your amazing talents with us
:D

Annette,
Thank you for your wonderful post that was so well written. I whole-heartedly agree with everything you said. I feel such gratitde to Cathe for what she does for so many people. She has such a gift and so glad she shares that gift with others! She is truly the BEST OF THE BEST!

Gin:)

Bee-yoo-tee-ful post, my dear A-jock, and I agree 10.000%. D-I-T-T-O!!!

I'm so glad you found Cathe and (therefore) that we all found you. :)

And on a serious note, I really do hope that seeing YOU this weekend may have inspired your family members to start making better choices in their own lives. Even small changes can make a big difference to them in how they feel, as you know, even if it may possibly be too late for any really substantial changes to happen. I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of them!

Can't wait to see what you mish-mosh up from the new stuff. ;-)

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5536.gif

Very well and eloquently said as usual Annette. Cathe definitely has a gift of "connecting" with us on her workouts and that is what keeps me coming back.

That was an eloquent and inspiring post, Annette. I am the "Lone Star" in my family as well, and finding Cathe was one of the luckiest things that ever happened to me.

Liane

Mogambo, mi amore, haven't seen you around these parts in ages! Good to "hear" from you again!

At the risk of overloading the topic, I would like to mention a couple of other items of gratitude:

These forums, which have meant so much to me. This weekend I also realized how alone I am within my family in that exercise is not only a health practice for me, it's also a highly enjoyable activity. My fam - and most if not all of my other associates - looks at me like I'm from the moon when I talk in any detail about the practice of working out. Here, I don't feel so alone; I'm with sisters (and the occasional bro) who understand enjoying exercise for its own sake and the health benefits of it. And here, the snarkiness is at a fairly acceptably low level.

And, because of these forums, I've made three truly wonderful friends. Beans, Jo-Jo, Booley - I'm doin' a shout-out to you! When are we having a New Release Meating?

Thanks for that too, Cath.

A-Jock

Thank you so very much for posting that.

How often I forget that truth. My health, for goodness sakes!!
Working out does 100 and 1 great things for me mentally and physically and yes, Cathe is my fav.

I have a very few other instructors that I just love, but I gotta say, Cathe is definitely at the number one spot on the list.
Meeting her was a dream come true.
I sure pray I get to meet her again!

Again, your post was very motivating and encouraging to me. Thank you so much.

Kim

Lovely posting, Annette.

I too am a Southern-born woman who has witnessed in my own family the havoc that neglect, disuse and a poor diet can wreak on the human body. Not to mention throwing in the gene pool factor; all my sisters are heavy, and do not really exercise or pay much attention to diet. Though I must say I'm inspired by my mom, who turned 69 yesterday and is trim and active and fit, so there is hope! My father, however, let Type II diabetes get the best of him, IMO, and unfortunately succumbed from its devastating side effects two years ago this November. It is an ugly disease. My dad, however, was not overweight so much as just completely and abjectly inactive--a deadly choice when combined with other health issues.

At any rate, I just wanted to say your posting touched a nerve.

:)

- claps -

What a wonderful and inspiring story. Your family sounds a lot like mine, and being a small and I do mean small (I'm only 4'11) and everyone around me weighing in the 300, it makes you thank God for the help that he has sent you. Doing Cathe has helped me drop 65 pounds and keep it off for 3 years.

Keep up the good work Annette, and Cathe thanks, lots of us really appreciate you. God Bless!:)

I haven't posted in a while, but I just wanted to add my sentiments on A-Jock's eloquent and inspiring post. A-Jock has been here forever and is incredibly fit and motivating herself. Her fitness level, coupled with the demonic mish-moshes she devises and shares with this group, has prompted some to suggest that she is Cathe's evil twin. Let her lovely and heart-felt post put that viscious rumor to rest once and for all.

A-Jock - Rocky and I think you're the best.:)

Great post Annette.

My family members also have health problems related to inactivity (and poor diet). One is convinced that her type 2 diabetes is genetic and refuses to change her ways. They look at me as if I'm abnormal for enjoying exercise when actually it is modern life that is all wrong. Sadly, seeing me seems to make them even more stubborn about not exercising (strange psychology).

Hi Annette, from the other Annette! You are so right! When "The State" Newspaper had an article written about homeworks, Cathe was one of my 3 "F's", not for failure but for fanastic workouts.

Since I have been seriously working out (3 years in December), people that I see remark how "skinny" I am. I take it as compliment, even though I have a few more pounds to go. Nothing excites me more, when I can find clothes (on sale, to boot) in single digits. And giving credit where credit is due,hit your reflections, right on the muscles :D. Thanks for that!
Annette Bethel

Annette-Very well said!!!! And, I just would like to add that thanks to Cathe, I have become friends with you, Jillybean, and Jules. Hope we can get together again real soon!

Joanne

VERY well said, Annette. Another testimony for Cathe:

I don't think I would be in this 'great' shape and fitness if it weren't for Cathe. Cathe makes excellent workouts, top notch. Intensity, product quality are the best! Makes working out easy since all I have to do is reach for a DVD. And makes me wanting for more.

I'm not sure if you know how many people you've touched, and how many lives you've changed... Cathe, thank you a WHOLE BUNCH!

What an awesome post, Annette.

I come from a family of very large people as well, though my mother (at age 65) finally lost most of her extra weight and only weighs a little more than I do now. I am not what I'd call fit yet, and I'm near the top of my healthy weight range, but I am back at the weight I was before having 2 kids, and I am far smaller and more active than my family members. When my sister calls, she says "Are you working out again?" whenever I answer the phone (and a lot of times I am since that seems to be the time of day she calls).

Anyway, just saying I have some understanding of what you're saying and I am also very thankful to Cathe as well!

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=teal]***Lainie***

My fitness blog: http://web.mac.com/lainiefig/iWeb/Site/Exercise/Exercise.html
7.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.