My name is not Mrs!

gidget1978

Cathlete
Haha! My daughter had a friend over tonight and before he left he said, "Thanks for having me over Mrs.Hart"!
Well...I nearly fell to the floor! When did I turn into a Mrs? Im not liking this at all.Im only 30 yrs old and I have teenagers calling me Mrs? I guess I didn't think about that when I was 17 and found out I was pregnant!:confused:
Not to mention all of the phone calls I get at work and I hear the word, "madm" Im not a madm either!

Mrs.Hart;)

Well I think that is respectfully nice for you. My daughter has friends whose parents taught them respect the way we had been taught 50 years ago and I find it refreshing that not all young ones live their new generational way.

That being said, I HATE being called Mrs. ! :eek: and I am definitely more Mrs. than you are Lori! :p

I like the more comfortable first name approach, but find it interesting that some youngins are OK with the old form of respectful salutations or good byes.

Just my .02 Mrs. Hart !;)

Lori, just a quick funny. I work PT in the cafeteria as a Monitor at our elementary school. One day, a Kindergartner tried to get my attention by yelling, "HEY!" I turned to him and teased him by saying, "my name's not HEY, it's MRS. HEY!" Well, guess what they all call me STILL! MRS HEY! :)

Gayle

Well, it's better than being called Butt Cheeks, Hooly Hoo, or Dip Wad! Remember, everyone is old when you are about 15.

Haha, I dislike it too. In my job (probation officer), people call me "Mrs." all the time, or ma'am. It's very respectful, but just feels awkward!

I am 26 years old. I understand I am in a position of authority, but it still just feels funny to me!

Lori, just a quick funny. I work PT in the cafeteria as a Monitor at our elementary school. One day, a Kindergartner tried to get my attention by yelling, "HEY!" I turned to him and teased him by saying, "my name's not HEY, it's MRS. HEY!" Well, guess what they all call me STILL! MRS HEY! :)

Gayle

Gayle that is the cutest story! Whenever i go to my DD's school to volunteer I get called Mrs Amy and I think its so adorable,lol

Last edited:
I'm 31 and I have people calling me ma'am. I hate that. :mad: Of course, it's these young teens. :rolleyes:

I'm ok with Mrs, but ma'am is just code for "old lady" Damn grocery baggers call me that. :mad::mad:"Can I help you out with this ma'am?". How insulting, how rude! :p

I prefer Kay to Mrs. Sweitzer. But there are some of my kids friends that stil call me Mrs. Could be worse I guess. I grew up calling friens of the family Mr. and Mrs., just how I was brought up...

It is worse I think we you aren't married but living together with the same person for over 16 years. I still prefer Ms or Miss. Not Mrs. Slack. I gotta have some identity. Most of my kids friends call Miss Annette which I am happy with that. I grew up calling my parents close friends Mrs or Mr or Aunt or Uncle. Never by their first names.

Well, it's better than being called Butt Cheeks, Hooly Hoo, or Dip Wad! Remember, everyone is old when you are about 15.

I'm with you on this one, Beavs. My ex DH used to say "hey *itch" and then claimed it was "affectionate." Guess I should have told him I was "MRS *itch, huh?" Honestly I don't care if I'm called Mrs. but it did bother me when I was 16 and a 14 year old called me "ma'am"

I think it's intended to be respectful, but it does have that "ol' maiden lady that lives in the haunted house down the street" feel to it, and that's what I think the OP is thinking about. :p

I hear ya! I'm only 31, but I've been married for 12 yrs. It's still weird to be called Mrs. _____. I was helping out in my dd's class the other days and all of the kids call me Mrs. It just makes me think of my mother in law!! :eek:

I think this is kinda funny. My kids have been taught to call adults by Mrs/Miss and Mr so and so. It is taught to be respectful. I guess since it is so rarely heard anymore people actually take it as an insult. kinda strange. lol. I don't mind it when children call me Mrs Jessica or baggers say maam. Its much better than hey lady or hey you.

In the south it's common for younger kids to call their friends' parents by their first name, but putting "Miss" in front of it. It lends a respectful air to it, but doesn't sound quite as formal as "Mrs. Smith".

I've been "Miss Jeanne" to my 21 year old DS's friends for many years now. They all still call me that!

This thread makes me feel old. My mom would've slapped me silly if I dared to address an adult by their first name. I believe kids of my generation were more respectful in general. I don't think most kids today even recognize authority figures.

I still call women older than me "Ma'am". It was pounded into me never to address someone by their first name unless asked to do so. I call older men "sir" too. I am 42 by the way. :)

I'm ok with Mrs, but ma'am is just code for "old lady" Damn grocery baggers call me that. :mad::mad:"Can I help you out with this ma'am?". How insulting, how rude! :p

We have a few divisions in the "south" and one of the guys who worked at one of those plants used to travel up to HQ every once in a while. I'm telling you, when he called you "ma'am", it was just about the sweetest thing ever. We all melted because it was his way of showing respect to us ladies and no, he wasn't younger, it was just the respectful thing to say. I miss that. Sadly he passed away from bone cancer last year. :'( We all miss that southern gentility - "yes, Ma'am"...

What would you want him to call you? By your first name? I would find that presumptuous and inappropriate.

True that IMHO. It makes me uncomfortable when people at my drs office call me by my first name unless they've been there for awhile and "know" me. I always address clients at work as "Mr/Ms" whatever until they tell me to call them by their first names.

I don't think ma'am (or sir, for that matter) is in any way intended to be insulting unless of course it is said in a snarky way. Like I do to my DH when he gets a bit bossy. :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.