My first accupuncture experience

MAYNARDSMOM

Cathlete
I went & had my first acupuncture experience last night for lower back pain I'm having. I am at the tail end of a self prescribed rest week in hopes of letting it rest & getting me back in the game. I'm not feeling as better as I hoped so I tried the acupuncture. I loved it!!! :D It was relaxing & I did feel better as far as my back goes last night. I did feel a bit dizzy afterwards (I also drove home in snow flying at my windshield that in & of itself makes me dizzy). Now I realize that it sometimes takes several visits & is not like going to a regular Dr where they give you a pill & off you go. This morning I am experiencing some mild discomfort, somewhat better than before I guess.

I would love to hear what others who have done this type of procedure have to say & any advice you may want to offer.

Thanks

Tami,

My Dad use to have acupressure done for his migraines. None of the doctors could help him. (this was in the 60's). If he has any more migraines I don't hear about them. Acupressure has done a world of good for him. He hasn't gone for many years now and he's still good. He use to go If I remember right, at least once a week.

Glad there are alternative methods besides drugs.

Janie

Hi Tami,
I am glad you glad a positive experience with acupuncture. I used to work with a doctor who did acupuncture and saw a lot of amazing results with his patients. I personally have had treatments for tendonitis and a badly sprained ankle and had wonderful results. I sprained my ankle at work and could not put any weight on it- the acupuncturist was in the office that day and after a 20 minute treatment I was able to get my shoe back on and return to work

For back patients, he would typically give treatments once a week and then back it off to an "as necessary" when the person would get pain relief or mobility. I remember at the time the recommendation was continued followup to asses the situation, but most people would stop coming once they felt better. (this was 10-12 years ago and most people in our area were paying out of pocket for the treatments since insurance typically didn't cover this at that time.)

Please report back to us about the results!

So far so good. I had the treatment Thurs evening. My discomfort was not always consistent, some days being better than others. Friday after treatment I was still feeling a bit tight but could tell it was not as bad. By friday night it was feeling good. Those were the 1st 2 nights I had not taken muscle relaxers in a week :D I woke up this morning & all day I have felt great! As my other post has stated I am *finally* at the end of a rest week so I haven't been doing much more than yoga relax all week. I did go walking this morning, following up with some more yoga. All day I have had no discomfort. I am waiting to see how it feels tomorrow.
I will definitely try it gain if the need arises. I personally would prefer a female but this guy was great. Very personable & easy to talk to, we were talking & laughing as he was putting needles in. It was a great first experience.

Thanks for sharing - I often wonder how it is. I use my chiropractor a few times a year and splurge for a massage about twice per year. I love it all!
Maybe some time I'll go to the acupuncturist.

Tami,

Did the needles hurt? I'm also having back pain now for weeks like I have never had before. I did go to a chiropractor on Monday, so still have to see how that goes. It was smart of you to back off the workouts, I kept going after I first hurt my back, and definitely created a much worse situation for myself.

If this doesn't get better soon, I would be willing to try anything.

acupuncture success

I had it done on my wrist after I broke it and a plate/screws were inserted; I experienced fantastic results.

The plate/screws needed to be removed a year later because of a tendon issue - my wrist is 100% now.

I had acupuncture for my sciatica when nothing else was working and I was in my 6th month of pain - I went for a total of 6 times. The 7th time was 'cupping' - didn't like that too much but it did put me over the top for feeling better. I wish I had tried acupuncture much much sooner... There are some acupressure moves that work as well that she showed me how to do. It's amazing how well both have worked!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.